• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Obscure PC game that was sort of a point and click adventure with CG cut-scenes and ugly 90's era 3D graphics. It was about a boy who one day wakes up and finds his face is mutated with muscle exposed and parts of flesh hanging about. Two FBI agents join him on an adventure to find out why it happened. Aliens are involved and a glowing green portal. It was a comedy with stylized graphics that looked like Jimmy Neutron.

A browser-based online game. I played it maybe 10 years ago.

It was based around managing a kingdom/empire and was all text-based with some graphics for flavor. All black with white text.

You could order the training of knights and spies, build universities and stables, and research new technology for bonuses. These things completed in real time so you had to keep checking back regularly.

Wizards would gather mana over time and give you the ability to cast individual major spells to do things like generate food for your people, increase birth rates, or raze an opponent.

You joined a guild with its own mini-forum, everyone would plan raids on other guilds, you'd send spies to find out how big their armies were or sow discontent among the populace. Your army could focus on killing people or burning buildings or looting. You'd log in to the game and notice that you'd been decimated overnight.

Mostly it involved doing a lot of research to know the ideal build order. Wish I knew what it was called.

Niahak

It was based around managing a kingdom/empire and was all text-based with some graphics for flavor. All black with white text.

I'm pretty sure this game was called Monarchy. I was able to find a similarly-named game, but the help section isn't very helpful about how similar it is, though it claims to be a reboot of Monarchy (which started in '97 - I played in HS myself).

http://monarchygame.com/gameinfo.php

Plenty of similar games around now, though they're not text-based as often nowadays. Travian is the most popular I know of, but I don't play them anymore myself.

I'm pretty sure this game was called Monarchy. I was able to find a similarly-named game, but the help section isn't very helpful about how similar it is, though it claims to be a reboot of Monarchy (which started in '97 - I played in HS myself).

http://monarchygame.com/gameinfo.php

Plenty of similar games around now, though they're not text-based as often nowadays. Travian is the most popular I know of, but I don't play them anymore myself.

Actually, nope!

I looked this up and it seemed similar, but something was off, so I went searching for screenshots of Monarchy in action, and this screen came up, which is the exact game I was thinking of:

bNYbT9Q.jpg

It's called Utopia, and it's still running today! So thanks for the help anyway, it led me back to it.

When I got my Xbox 360, I remember not having many games and I downloaded a demo for a really really good looking game, it was a FPS, Marines versus aliens or something like that, you played through a Gas station I think and the demo finished showing you a boss that was a huge tentacle or something.

Was the game cancelled?? never got to play the retail version, I dont remember the name.

NfoRcEr

Neo Member
When I got my Xbox 360, I remember not having many games and I downloaded a demo for a really really good looking game, it was a FPS, Marines versus aliens or something like that, you played through a Gas station I think and the demo finished showing you a boss that was a huge tentacle or something.

Was the game cancelled?? never got to play the retail version, I dont remember the name.

If I remember correctly it was an Area 51 game ( previously rail shooter coin op games). Research tells me it would have to be blacksite: Area 51 if it was for 360. I only played the demo once though, so I'm not 100% on that.

If I remember correctly it was an Area 51 game ( previously rail shooter coin op games). Research tells me it would have to be blacksite: Area 51 if it was for 360. I only played the demo once though, so I'm not 100% on that.

Upon googling, yep, thats it, thanks, apparently got mixed reviews, the graphics looked amazing back then.

You could order the training of knights and spies, build universities and stables, and research new technology for bonuses. These things completed in real time so you had to keep checking back regularly.

Wizards would gather mana over time and give you the ability to cast individual major spells to do things like generate food for your people, increase birth rates, or raze an opponent.

You joined a guild with its own mini-forum, everyone would plan raids on other guilds, you'd send spies to find out how big their armies were or sow discontent among the populace. Your army could focus on killing people or burning buildings or looting. You'd log in to the game and notice that you'd been decimated overnight.

Mostly it involved doing a lot of research to know the ideal build order. Wish I knew what it was called.

I know you said that you already found the game, but this description is also very similar to Archmage, which came about in the late 90s as well. The Wizards gathering mana, in particular, is very similar to the player (as an archmage) gathering enough mana to cast Armageddon, I think, which basically reboots the server.

whoszed

Recently I rediscovered a game called Eternal Daughter. That one bugged me every now and then for years.

Anyway, now I can't get this one Asteroids clone out of my head. I remember it quite vaguely, but I'm pretty sure there were floating eyeballs and spiky balls of some kind as enemies (among others). I also remember two players being able to play it. The game is from the nineties pretty surely.

If any PC Asteroid style space shooters with eyeball enemies come to mind be sure to name 'em

Recently I rediscovered a game called Eternal Daughter. That one bugged me every now and then for years.

Anyway, now I can't get this one Asteroids clone out of my head. I remember it quite vaguely, but I'm pretty sure there were floating eyeballs and spiky balls of some kind as enemies (among others). I also remember two players being able to play it. The game is from the nineties pretty surely.

If any PC Asteroid style space shooters with eyeball enemies come to mind be sure to name 'em

Had a quick google and found a link to a post on the escapist asking the same thing and according to This post on Escapist the game you want is Comet Busters!

No problem, i'm glad to be able to help out in such a great thread.
I pop in now and then to see if i can help out and also every now and then i see a neat game i'd forgotten about. Which is nice.

pootle

I found the PS1 game I was looking for!

It's called Blood Lines and was a euro only release.

I'm on my phone so no links but if you search youtube there are a couple of gameplay videos.

The graphics are much better than I remember!

MLB Power Pros?

success_12.bmp

this and its "sequel," Power Pros 2008, are easily 2 of my favorite PS2 games.

Dude....

Thank you.

The PS2 was a JRPG beast and this game gave me a break from all the demonic, light hearted, teen melodrama that came from all the badass Japanese devs at the time.

I miss those days! :/

OmahaG8

Years ago I had a problem remembering this game -

Diamonds_game_level_1.jpg

Diamonds for Mac. Loved it, played it at a friend's house all the time and just forgot all about it.

Game that I'll never get to see again / thread topic. It was a PC game I used to play at a friend's... it's so foggy in my head. There were snow levels.. a cave? Keys? *sigh* I remember I used to play it around the time Wolfenstein 3-D was big.

Gangxxter

Game that I'll never get to see again / thread topic. It was a PC game I used to play at a friend's... it's so foggy in my head. There were snow levels.. a cave? Keys? *sigh* I remember I used to play it around the time Wolfenstein 3-D was big.
Shot in the dark (first thing what came to my mind when I read "snow levels"): James Pond 2: Codename RoboCod? Need more info though, was it a 2D side-scroller, isometric view or something else? Was it an action game, platformer or maybe an adventure game?
Your screenshot of Diamonds reminded me of a game though I played as a kid which I can't remember its name.

It was a Breakout clone with some unique gameplay features I haven't seen in any other Breakout clone since. I played it on MS-DOS around 1992-1994 (game might be older though, but it had mouse support). The paddle had a somewhat unusual form, very thick and with pink rounded edges on the left and right side. Here is a crude Paint sketch:
paddlejjryn.jpg

If the ball touched those outer pink edges, the ball would be lost. Just like if you missed the ball, I think the "out" at the bottom (below the paddle) had the same color (pink) as the edges of the paddle.
There wasn't only a paddle at the bottom, but a paddle at each side of the screen (top, bottom, left and right). All four paddles would move at the same time when you used the mouse (only x-axis movement of the mouse was necessary, the bottom/top paddles moved left/right while the left/right paddles would move top/down with the same mouse movement). But at the beginning of a game the top, left and right paddle would be covered by a several pixel wide layer, which bounced back the ball so you didn't have to use those 3 paddles. But as the game went on, that layer got thinner and thinner and eventually disappeared so there would be an "out area" around the whole screen and you had to use all four paddles to keep the ball in the game. The layer around the screen would disappear pixel by pixel and pixel row by pixel row. Like a giant time meter going around the screen several times.
All bricks on the screen had the same shape and size and where rectangular. Each brick had a solid color (no gradients or pattern etc.). I remember that the solid bricks you couldn't destroy were gray.
All power-ups which would drop occasionally from bricks were also rectangular and each had the same shape/size. Each power-up had an unique color and was identified by a letter on the power-up (no symbols or random power-ups). I remember very well that the power-up for a sticky paddle had the letter "K" because as a kid I called it "Kleber" (German for glue). I can't remember the letters for the other power-ups though. Power-ups I remember are extra ball (possibly labeled with an "E"?), larger paddle, smaller paddle and shooting bricks with left click (not sure about that one).
The ball was very small and only a few pixels large (I guess 2x2 or 2x1). It was not round and it got skewed a lot when it moved slowly across the entire screen from left to right.
Levels I remember are a smiley face (with an indestructible outline, only the hair, eyes and mouth were destructible, very hard level) and a level which looked like one of the Scandinavian flags I think. I also think there was a level which looked like a hospital (white building with a Red Cross on it), I'm not sure about that one though.
Because of the Scandinavian flag level and the letter "K" for the sticky paddle power-up I guess the game was from Sweden, Norway or Denmark because "sticky" begins with an "K" in each language (klibbig, klebrig, klæbrig). The main menu was in English though (maybe even German, but definitely not Swedish, Norwegian or Danish).

That's all I remember, would love to play that game again but I can't find it anymore (googling "breakout clone" doesn't yield any useful results).

mclem

Shot in the dark (first thing what came to my mind when I read "snow levels"): James Pond 2: Codename RoboCod? Need more info though, was it a 2D side-scroller, isometric view or something else? Was it an action game, platformer or maybe an adventure game?
Your screenshot of Diamonds reminded me of a game though I played as a kid which I can't remember its name.

It was a Breakout clone with some unique gameplay features I haven't seen in any other Breakout clone since.

Excellent description; sounds like Traz to me.

Gangxxter

Excellent description; sounds like Traz to me.
No, that's not it. The paddles were thicker and the edges left and right were definitely rounded. The ball wasn't that big and round either (more like a small square).
The bricks didn't have a bevel border or a drop shadow effect. And looking at the DOS screenshots I'm pretty sure it featured an EGA or VGA graphics mode on DOS.
Anyway, thanks for the effort!

d1rtn4p

I know this is going to be vague as hell, but here goes.

- Late 80's Amiga game I think
- It was educational I think, because I played it at the school library. If I recall correctly, it might of been a collection of mini-games.
- I recall playing as a Indiana Jones type adventurer who used a flashlight to see in the dark. It was side-view perspective.
- There was pulling levers to open gates
- There were bats you had to get past in the cave.

Phediuk

I know this is going to be vague as hell, but here goes.

- Late 80's Amiga game I think
- It was educational I think, because I played it at the school library. If I recall correctly, it might of been a collection of mini-games.
- I recall playing as a Indiana Jones type adventurer who used a flashlight to see in the dark. It was side-view perspective.
- There was pulling levers to open gates
- There were bats you had to get past in the cave.

I'd say Rick Dangerous, but that wasn't educational, and maybe too obvious anyway.

Kugar77

Ok here's one that's been bugging me

Super nintendo game
You played as a baker and I think you had to capture your baked goods from evil vegetables (I think they were vegetables). It was a platformer I believe. I remember playing it at my uncle's house. Any help?

Phediuk

Ok here's one that's been bugging me

Super nintendo game
You played as a baker and I think you had to capture your baked goods from evil vegetables (I think they were vegetables). It was a platformer I believe. I remember playing it at my uncle's house. Any help?

Out to Lunch

game that had a green blob/monster and a princess fighting along side each other. It could be played cooperatively and was inside one of the Namco Museums games either for N64 or PS1.

Ishida

Banned
I remember a very old game I used to play on those Internet rental places. It seemed to be a mod of Doom (Not sure) but starring Santa Claus riding on his sled. You could fly around and shoot at the enemies, which I believe were raindeers (Could be wrong on this one).

It is NOT "Santa Slaughter". The one I played had Doom-style graphics (Pseudo 3-D environments, sprite enemies). It had blood.

Shamelessly quoting myself to see if I have more luck,

Anyone?

Have one that has eluded me for years. Arcade game where you played as a transforming craft/car. It had almost an afterburner feel but was not afterburner. Also You could choose a path kinda like outrun.

Steel

Banned
Here's one that's been bothering me for a bit. I played this one game that was made in the mid to late ninties(I think, possibly could've been earlier), it was a 3d space flight game. Now I'm a bit sketchy on the details in my memory, but I remember having to fly through rings and shooting enemies with the ship. I believe the game started with an N, it possibly even started with the word Nova (But I think it was all one word, like NovaXXXX, could be completely off base with this though). It was for Mac. Not much to go on, I know.

Labrys

it's for the DS, i know that much. it has like, a princess i think as the main character? and you gotta go out of the castle, like an RPG, and you have to change your classes and level up and grind and all that good stuff. and i think you have an assistant man. I wanna say "Over My Dead Body" but i know that's not the case. also i'm 90% sure it had an anime art style.
it's been bugging me for a few days now.

EDIT:
i got it, it's called My World, My Way. i totally forgot to look at Atlus' game list for niche DS games

mclem

Here's one that's been bothering me for a bit. I played this one game that was made in the mid to late ninties(I think, possibly could've been earlier), it was a 3d space flight game. Now I'm a bit sketchy on the details in my memory, but I remember having to fly through rings and shooting enemies with the ship. I believe the game started with an N, it possibly even started with the word Nova (But I think it was all one word, like NovaXXXX, could be completely off base with this though). It was for Mac. Not much to go on, I know.

Bits of what you're describing make me think of Escape Velocity: Nova, but I'm not quite sure if that's what you're driving at. Nova 9's unlikely, since it's a tank game, but it was first-person 3D presentation, so I'll mention that, too.

jimboton

Could it be Starfighter 3000?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
There is a very old game, a sidecroller shooter for the PC where you play a guy in some sort of prison and have to fight mutated cat-like monsters. I remember you could aim in any direction with the mouse. Does it ring a bell?

Steel

Banned
Bits of what you're describing make me think of Escape Velocity: Nova, but I'm not quite sure if that's what you're driving at. Nova 9's unlikely, since it's a tank game, but it was first-person 3D presentation, so I'll mention that, too.

If you had looked at my avatar you'd know it wasn't EV Nova. ;)

It was a few years before nova came out that I was playing it now that I think about it though.

Nova 9 looks interesting, though.

Could it be Starfighter 3000?

Reminds me of it, but that's not quite it the ship you piloted was sleeker like the Starbridge in my avatar.

Thanks for the responses though.

There is a very old game, a sidecroller shooter for the PC where you play a guy in some sort of prison and have to fight mutated cat-like monsters. I remember you could aim in any direction with the mouse. Does it ring a bell?

Abuse fits that premise closely. Awesome sidescrolling shooter, still my favorite in that regard(Metroid felt too slow compared to it for me).

Edit:

123333.jpg

Were these the catlike monsters?

mclem

If you had looked at my avatar you'd know it wasn't EV Nova. ;)

I know an awful lot of games that I'd struggle to recognise on sight, and Mac games are a particular gap in my knowledge (A shame, because what I've seen of Ambrosia content in particular I find very interesting)

xk0sm0sx

Actually, nope!

I looked this up and it seemed similar, but something was off, so I went searching for screenshots of Monarchy in action, and this screen came up, which is the exact game I was thinking of:

bNYbT9Q.jpg

It's called Utopia, and it's still running today! So thanks for the help anyway, it led me back to it.

Hah I already knew what game it was when you said it and... I can't believe it's still running. I remember their publisher went down or something and brought Earth 2025 and Utopia down. Earth 2025 now exists as Earth Empires

I vaguely recall seeing a game at a neighbor's house that had an actual mechanical car that you put on a track in front of your TV, which has the "course" graphics. Does this sound reasonable or familiar? This would have been the late 1980s.

FryHole

I vaguely recall seeing a game at a neighbor's house that had an actual mechanical car that you put on a track in front of your TV, which has the "course" graphics. Does this sound reasonable or familiar? This would have been the late 1980s.

Could it be a VHS style 'game' where it wouldn't be graphics on screen but video?

http://segaretro.org/Video_Driver

Edit: fucking hell, the more I look at that page the more convinced I am we actually had one of these, I think my brother got one for Christmas.

Steel

Banned
I know an awful lot of games that I'd struggle to recognise on sight, and Mac games are a particular gap in my knowledge (A shame, because what I've seen of Ambrosia content in particular I find very interesting)

Nah, it's cool. EV nova is also for windows, though. And fortunately it is without a doubt the best EV, one of the rare cases where a good game got better with sequels(though they were all awesome and override was pretty unique, and they're all in different universes with similarities). Still completely worth a look, it's the type of game that stands the test of time(And has mods and is easily modable, though I'm not quite sure how the mod support for the windows side is).

Yes that's the one, thanks guys. This game had such an awesome atmosphere, would like to see a HD re-release for it.
Yeah, it really managed to put horror into a side-scrolling environment. Not to mention the insane gameplay. Glad you found it.

derFeef

This is a tough one to explain.

It is a 3d top down game where the camera follows your dude - which is kinda big on the screen iirc - you could also crawl/jump on boxes. It's an action shooter and you fight aliens I think, but also other people.
It's def. a mid 90s game, It had some kind of 3d support - either an 3dfx game or a d3d supported game with lighting that was kinda neat. It was also very brutal and gory and had a high difficulty iirc.

edit: PC :)

This is a tough one to explain.

It is a 3d top down game where the camera follows your dude - which is kinda big on the screen iirc - you could also crawl/jump on boxes. It's an action shooter and you fight aliens I think, but also other people.
It's def. a mid 90s game, It had some kind of 3d support - either an 3dfx game or a d3d supported game with lighting that was kinda neat. It was also very brutal and gory and had a high difficulty iirc.

edit: PC :)

Take No Prisoners.

Top Bottom