• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

AsakuraZ

GAF, I'm going crazy trying to remember this game.

At first I thought it was Marvel Land on the Sega Genesis, but maybe it's something similar in style? Either it was played on the Sega or SNES, and I remember playing it around 1995/96. It should fall in the platformer genre I think.

The only two things I remember is one of the bosses being in a dark castle area and the boss was this winged vampire. Also the last boss started with you falling down from the sky and you fought him on the ground, with one hill in the middle of the area. The game seemed pretty cartoonish and lighthearted as well. I know if I saw a screenshot of it, I'd be able to identify it.

Help me out guys!

woopWOOP

Alright, here's one I've been having trouble with.

A friend of mine had this demo for a chess game for Windows 95 (tho it might've been DOS, it was a bit heavily pixelated I recall). It had this straight top-down view with pieces being depicted as medieval humans, knights etc. However unlike regular chess, whenever a piece attacks another you were transported into an arena where you controlled your own piece in realtime and had to deplete the HP of the enemy piece, basically allowing a defending piece to win. The pieces had varying speeds and attacks with the knight being really fast and having this dinky stab attack while the king could shoot these fast, bigass energy balls. I also remember that upon dying the piece would transform into a gravestone or a giant piece of toast with TOAST being written on it (with butter I guess).

Whenever I try to Google search any of the above I only come across Battle Chess. If anybody else here happens to know about this game, that'd be great.

Castef

Banned

A friend of mine had this demo for a chess game for Windows 95 (tho it might've been DOS, it was a bit heavily pixelated I recall). It had this straight top-down view with pieces being depicted as medieval humans, knights etc. However unlike regular chess, whenever a piece attacks another you were transported into an arena where you controlled your own piece in realtime and had to deplete the HP of the enemy piece, basically allowing a defending piece to win. The pieces had varying speeds and attacks with the knight being really fast and having this dinky stab attack while the king could shoot these fast, bigass energy balls. I also remember that upon dying the piece would transform into a gravestone or a giant piece of toast with TOAST being written on it (with butter I guess).

Whenever I try to Google search any of the above I only come across Battle Chess. If anybody else here happens to know about this game, that'd be great.

Some version of Archon.

Niahak

This actually sounds a lot like Kingdom Crusade for Game Boy (especially the attacks and specific character traits - though it was the queen with the energy balls - IIRC you could get the TOAST thing too!). System's wrong, but take a look:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/gameboy/kingdom-crusade/screenshots

AFAIK they didn't make a PC version, but if they did I'd be interested too!

Were there any items you could collect or non-chess pieces (i.e. archers)? Those were major features of Kingdom Crusade that were non-chesslike.

/edit: darn, beaten.

Castef

Banned
GAF, I'm going crazy trying to remember this game.

At first I thought it was Marvel Land on the Sega Genesis, but maybe it's something similar in style? Either it was played on the Sega or SNES, and I remember playing it around 1995/96. It should fall in the platformer genre I think.

The only two things I remember is one of the bosses being in a dark castle area and the boss was this winged vampire. Also the last boss started with you falling down from the sky and you fought him on the ground, with one hill in the middle of the area. The game seemed pretty cartoonish and lighthearted as well. I know if I saw a screenshot of it, I'd be able to identify it.

Help me out guys!

Legend of Hero Tonma?

Synless

Ok, here is a game I am wondering about. It is for the NES, you start off in a helicopter (First person view) and you get shot down. When you come to you are in a field where you wander aimlessly searching for mines and ignoring enemy soldiers until you find building that you can get into where you collect key cards, enemy outfits (usually pink if I recall) and collecting intel. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Niahak

Ok, here is a game I am wondering about. It is for the NES, you start off in a helicopter (First person view) and you get shot down. When you come to you are in a field where you wander aimlessly searching for mines and ignoring enemy soldiers until you find building that you can get into where you collect key cards, enemy outfits (usually pink if I recall) and collecting intel. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Long shot (only recall the helicopter part), but could it be infiltrator?
http://www.mobygames.com/game/nes/infiltrator-ii/screenshots

Velkyn

This one's been driving me insane lately, for some reason.

-NES game
-Side scrolling platformer.
-I remember there being "SHOP" doors and some mechanic for changing characters.
-One of the characters looked like a dude dressed in green with a beard.
-I want to say all the characters were family?

I saw it somewhere in an episode of Game Center CX, not as a main game, but I somehow forgot the title. Any ideas?

Here is a game I have vague recollections of from my childhood and I am not sure how much of them is accurate.

The platform is probably DOS, pre-NT Windows or PS1.

The game levels look like a top-down square grid. Your player sprite is a weird yellow-black colored object. You have a sword, which you can point in one of eight directions around you. Whenever you move, either by rotating yourself to change the direction of the sword or by moving yourself up/down/left/right, all enemies on the level move too (so it's essentially turn based). There are multiple screens, and you can go between them, but I don't remember much else (besides vague recollection of the music, which I obviously can't post).

Niahak

This one's been driving me insane lately, for some reason.

-NES game
-Side scrolling platformer.
-I remember there being "SHOP" doors and some mechanic for changing characters.
-One of the characters looked like a dude dressed in green with a beard.
-I want to say all the characters were family?

I saw it somewhere in an episode of Game Center CX, not as a main game, but I somehow forgot the title. Any ideas?

Legacy of the Wizard (Dragon Slayer 4).

protonion

Here is a game I have vague recollections of from my childhood and I am not sure how much of them is accurate.

The platform is probably DOS, pre-NT Windows or PS1.

The game levels look like a top-down square grid. Your player sprite is a weird yellow-black colored object. You have a sword, which you can point in one of eight directions around you. Whenever you move, either by rotating yourself to change the direction of the sword or by moving yourself up/down/left/right, all enemies on the level move too (so it's essentially turn based). There are multiple screens, and you can go between them, but I don't remember much else (besides vague recollection of the music, which I obviously can't post).

DROD aka the greatest puzzle game of all time. The last game was released this summer. I made a topic with zero replies :(

woopWOOP

Some version of Archon.
Yep, Archon was my guess too.
This actually sounds a lot like Kingdom Crusade for Game Boy (especially the attacks and specific character traits - though it was the queen with the energy balls - IIRC you could get the TOAST thing too!). System's wrong, but take a look:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/gameboy/kingdom-crusade/screenshots

AFAIK they didn't make a PC version, but if they did I'd be interested too!

Were there any items you could collect or non-chess pieces (i.e. archers)? Those were major features of Kingdom Crusade that were non-chesslike.

/edit: darn, beaten.
Thanks for the replies! Archon seems reaaaally close to what I'm looking for, but not quite yet. None of the PC or console versions ring a bell or have that Gauntlet-like top down view I remember.

UPDATE: I actually found it on one of the old demo CD's I have lying around! Man, why didn't I look there sooner, now I feel like a demanding jerk.
Medieval Chess is what it was called. Here's a video. Yep, just as clunky as I remember it.
Still, thanks for the help guys!

Ketch

I'm trying to remember the name of an edu-tainment game I played on the libraries windows 3.1 machines back in grade school, 20 years ago or so.

It was called something like Dr.Stranges Island or something. It was set on an island that had like a creepy ass carnival going on. I think I remember the first activity you did was like a carnival booth/shooting gallery with weird stuffed animals in it and if you won a portal opened and sucked you in maybe.

After you made it to the island you could walk down some dirt roads to find other creepy ass educational mini games like learning about fractions from a twisted tax collector.

This may all just be a fever dream, but maybe somebody knows what I'm talking about.

.polybius

Neo Member
I used to play a game on my dads old Macintosh. This was probably sometime between 94-98. It featured a caveman, and was a top-down 2D game. I think he walked around a little town and beat people up. I've never been able to remember the name.

fushi

This is a really long shot, but maybe someone knows the game I am looking for and remember playing some 4+ years ago.

- 2D top down shmup/STG of Japanese origin.
- Windows
- freeware
- you flew a ship/jet/some machine, not a girl or other creature. Not a mech either, I think.
- original source, was not tied to any known anime or other media
- had an arena-like structure wherein you moved from room to room. Sometimes you could pick different routes.
- Graphics reminiscent of low-budget SNES game.

I'm trying to remember the name of an edu-tainment game I played on the libraries windows 3.1 machines back in grade school, 20 years ago or so.

It was called something like Dr.Stranges Island or something. It was set on an island that had like a creepy ass carnival going on. I think I remember the first activity you did was like a carnival booth/shooting gallery with weird stuffed animals in it and if you won a portal opened and sucked you in maybe.

After you made it to the island you could walk down some dirt roads to find other creepy ass educational mini games like learning about fractions from a twisted tax collector.

This may all just be a fever dream, but maybe somebody knows what I'm talking about.

Sounds like The Island of Dr. Brain.

I was just coming on here to post about a similar-sounding game!! Looked up The Island of Dr Brain and that's not the one I'm after though.....at least I don't think it is....

What I'm chasing sounds similar to the above (so an educational game set on some kind of crazy, carnival island) but you had to select which character you played as, and one of them was....a baby??

Yeaaah I sound bonkers

Alright, let's see if I can remember enough about it.

It's either PS1 or 2 (I'm thinking PS1). There's an opening cutscene in some sort of lab: Sirens are going off and people are running around, and the player character - a woman, I think - breaks out of one of some holding cell (it was more like some big glass tube, so I'm going to assume she was some sort of supersoldier or expirement) and begins wreaking havoc. It was isometric, and the first level was some kind of military base.

Anybody have any idea what I'm talking about?

Anon67

There was a PS1 JRPG game I had where in the beginning, you had to run away from a boulder before it crushed you. I have no idea what the name is. Anyone??

Cream

Banned
So there was this third person Japanese shooter. No localization. Colorful, futuristic graphics, and like comic book style cutscenes.

I think I hear people compare it to Megaman Legends, maybe. And saying it would never get localized.

Muchacho

This one is probably gonna be hard cause I'm thinking it might of been a Freeware or something of the sort on PC? Was a mech game in the sort of like Virtual On or something, I think it was western developed. It had more of a multiplayer deathmatch feel rather than a mechwarrior ish feel, I think. You could garage in and customize parts and there was AI you could fight, don't know if it was online. Wasn't super old or anything, pretty sure it was pre-2005 I THINK.

One Must Fall Battlegrounds? This was made in 2003 and featured a multiplayer deathmatch. It was arena based as well.

Ladekabel

When I was young I stayed at a friend and his brother was playing a (I believe) a 2D-Shooter for the Playstation 1. I don't know much about the game, but in the intro there were a naked man and women standing in a room, the dude get's drilled in the arm and his surname was Washington.

Didn't see an answer yet so selfquote.

Another game I remembered was a turn based fantasy game. I believe it was a Heroes of Might & Magic game but I don't know which one. Had black dragons as one the strongest units and you could lend units to other heroes.

vato_loco

I was actually waiting for this kind of post to show up. There's a game I played a LONG time ago that I haven't been able to find again.

So it's this bootleg game, for the Family Game (a Nintendo clone), where a Mario sprite would go around a 2D sidescrolling world beating the shit out of enemies with ninja moves. Mario could power up with orbs and get hadoukens and shohryukens and whatnot, and at one point I'm sure he could climp in a cloud and ride around, Goku-style.

No, I wasn't on heavy drugs, the game really exists and I played it many times. Of course Mario being there was just some programmer placing his sprite in the game, so there's probably an original Japanese game out there.

Help me GAF!

Muchacho

I was actually waiting for this kind of post to show up. There's a game I played a LONG time ago that I haven't been able to find again.

So it's this bootleg game, for the Family Game (a Nintendo clone), where a Mario sprite would go around a 2D sidescrolling world beating the shit out of enemies with ninja moves. Mario could power up with orbs and get hadoukens and shohryukens and whatnot, and at one point I'm sure he could climp in a cloud and ride around, Goku-style.

No, I wasn't on heavy drugs, the game really exists and I played it many times. Of course Mario being there was just some programmer placing his sprite in the game, so there's probably an original Japanese game out there.

Help me GAF!

I believe it was called Super Mario Bros 10 or something.
It was is a clone/hack of Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu on NES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6H0g_9VVd0

vato_loco

I believe it was called Super Mario Bros 10 or something.
It was is a clone/hack of Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu on NES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6H0g_9VVd0

HOLY CRAP THAT'S THE ONE!

4029604+_8bdd719fb5868d999b40baf62dbba6af.gif

There was a PS1 JRPG game I had where in the beginning, you had to run away from a boulder before it crushed you. I have no idea what the name is. Anyone??

Is it Brave Fencer Musashi? Around 3:00 in this video...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YYlkWfjJ274

Also, I have one of my own. This was a PS1 game (I think), may or may not have been a JRPG. I remember it played a lot like Zelda in that it had a lot of adventuring sections in towns and whatnot, and you collected items to explore more. The only two items I think I can remember are a mallet that you used to smack down pegs (quite like Zelda) and a lantern. I also remember a different town-like area what maybe was in the trees, and there was a pub there (big sign saying 'PUB' in front of door, had to ask my mom what a pub was as a kid). I don't remember the actual fighting at all, though... Sorry, this is a tough one.

Anon67

Sounds like the beginning of Jack's scenario in the game Wild Arms.

Just looked this name up. Yup you are correct! Thanks!

I have another. I remember playing a game on a demo disc that came with the PS1. You played as this character who kinda looked like Johnny Bravo and had a space blaster as a weapon. The ground was of a sandy color. I guess it was a platformer. And I think I had to save a woman...? Wtf is it?

Just looked this name up. Yup you are correct! Thanks!

I have another. I remember playing a game on a demo disc that came with the PS1. You played as this character who kinda looked like Johnny Bravo and had a space blaster as a weapon. The ground was of a sandy color. I guess it was a platformer. And I think I had to save a women...? Wtf is it?
Blasto?

There was a PS1 game I played from a demo disk where you ran from a boulder (I think?) down a hill. Obvious answer is Crash, but no, it definitely wasn't that. I think there was a castle in the demo too. I think the graphics style might have been similar to the PS1 Final Fantasy games, but I'm not completely sure. I think Spyro 1 and one of the Medievil games were on that demo disk too, if that helps.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT! I had no idea someone just asked about this. LOL. Never mind then.

EDIT 2:
Is it Brave Fencer Musashi? Around 3:00 in this video...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YYlkWfjJ274

This is the one I was thinking of actually. Maybe I was thinking of a different game than taahamed after all. Thanks. Can't help with your game though.

Ketch

Sounds like The Island of Dr. Brain.

I was just coming on here to post about a similar-sounding game!! Looked up The Island of Dr Brain and that's not the one I'm after though.....at least I don't think it is....

What I'm chasing sounds similar to the above (so an educational game set on some kind of crazy, carnival island) but you had to select which character you played as, and one of them was....a baby??

Yeaaah I sound bonkers

I figured it out, it's island of Dr. Quandry.

hqdefault.jpg

1140318-thesecretislandofdr.quandary.gif

weird game

Electret

I've got one for y'all.

What I'm pretty sure of is that this was a black and white point-n-click adventure game for old Mac computers - I would've been playing this around 1998 or so.

My memory gets hazy after that. I think the character(s) may have been anthropomorphic animals like mice. There also may have been a somewhat of a surreal tone to the game, and some of it may have taken place in space. I wish I could remember more.

I've got one for y'all.

What I'm pretty sure of is that this was a black and white point-n-click adventure game for old Mac computers - I would've been playing this around 1998 or so.

My memory gets hazy after that. I think the character(s) may have been anthropomorphic animals like mice. There also may have been a somewhat of a surreal tone to the game, and some of it may have taken place in space. I wish I could remember more.

The Manhole comes to mind, not sure about the mice though.

There was a PS1 game I played from a demo disk where you ran from a boulder (I think?) down a hill. Obvious answer is Crash, but no, it definitely wasn't that. I think there was a castle in the demo too. I think the graphics style might have been similar to the PS1 Final Fantasy games, but I'm not completely sure. I think Spyro 1 and one of the Medievil games were on that demo disk too, if that helps.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT! I had no idea someone just asked about this. LOL. Never mind then.

EDIT 2:

This is the one I was thinking of actually. Maybe I was thinking of a different game than taahamed after all. Thanks. Can't help with your game though.

Sweet! I'm glad I could help! This thread is too awesome.

I remember playing that Dr. Quandary game in elementary school as a part of computer class, actually. It certainly was strange, from what I remember.

Bradd12

Okay I have 2 I've never been able to find.

First one is a game my dad used to okay on our first pc. Was on a 5 1/2 " floppy disk and all i remember is a screen with about 3 colours and a blocky alien jumping. Colors were green and pink I think?

The other one I always thought was Newman-Hass Racing for some reason. But you raced cars on hilly tracks and when you went in the air your doors openned like wings? The car was blue iirc.

If anyone gets either of these my mind will be blown and steam gifts will be given.

Okay I have 2 I've never been able to find.

First one is a game my dad used to okay on our first pc. Was on a 5 1/2 " floppy disk and all i remember is a screen with about 3 colours and a blocky alien jumping. Colors were green and pink I think?

Number Munchers? Math Blaster?

I figured it out, it's island of Dr. Quandry.

hqdefault.jpg

1140318-thesecretislandofdr.quandary.gif

weird game

Yes this is it!! Thank you!!!!

I'm usually pretty good at remembering the games of my youth, but this one has always eluded me (played it at a friend's place so didn't have frequent access to it) Never quite knew where to start looking because it's just such a weird concept to describe....

You're awesome :)

Sorry it's not much to go on, but it's a samurai-style game for the PS1. I just remember it being on one of the demo discs and playing the hell out of it as a kid.

Top Bottom