• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

mollipen

I think I'm now gong crazy, because suddenly memories of a game popped into my head, and I don't know if it's actually real or not.

So, I think the game was third person. Action adventure maybe? It's not Dark Souls, but I want to see it had kind of a "weird" feel like DS. Don't remember if it was straight fantasy, or had high-tech elements, or what. I'm guessing 360/PS3 era, but maaaaybe it was current generation? Part of me also wants to say that maaaaybe it was Lords of the Fallen? For some reason, that doesn't also feel right though either.

I seem to recall this later-game stage. At one point, you're making your way up this (snowy?) mountain that had some tree coverage. I don't think this was a part of the "main" world—I feel like you had to get there through a portal, or maybe it was an alternate dimension, or maybe time travel? And I remember, as you're going up that part of the mountain, you fight a boss in maybe like a circular area. And maybe he's a god or some sort of powerful being?

And then, after that area, it gets to be more canyon-y, and there are also flying enemies perhaps? Maybe you could target them somehow? And I want to say, at this point, maybe the world starts breaking down? Like, things going really crazy or something? But now I'm wondering if they're the same game, because part of me feels like there might be multiplayer?

Does any of this rambling sound familiar at all?

Mine01

Gonna try this

Platform PC
Genre superhero maker??

It was 2.5d where you could make your own superhero and go around the city with other heroes and shit.

I think the name had an X lol

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I think I'm now gong crazy, because suddenly memories of a game popped into my head, and I don't know if it's actually real or not.

So, I think the game was third person. Action adventure maybe? It's not Dark Souls, but I want to see it had kind of a "weird" feel like DS. Don't remember if it was straight fantasy, or had high-tech elements, or what. I'm guessing 360/PS3 era, but maaaaybe it was current generation? Part of me also wants to say that maaaaybe it was Lords of the Fallen? For some reason, that doesn't also feel right though either.

I seem to recall this later-game stage. At one point, you're making your way up this (snowy?) mountain that had some tree coverage. I don't think this was a part of the "main" world—I feel like you had to get there through a portal, or maybe it was an alternate dimension, or maybe time travel? And I remember, as you're going up that part of the mountain, you fight a boss in maybe like a circular area. And maybe he's a god or some sort of powerful being?

And then, after that area, it gets to be more canyon-y, and there are also flying enemies perhaps? Maybe you could target them somehow? And I want to say, at this point, maybe the world starts breaking down? Like, things going really crazy or something? But now I'm wondering if they're the same game, because part of me feels like there might be multiplayer?

Does any of this rambling sound familiar at all?

Sounds like Lords of the Fallen.

Burbeting

Banned
I remember a PS1 game extremely vaguely. It's been bugging me for years, but since I have almost no solid recollection of it, I haven't been able to find it at all.

- It was a racing game for PlayStation 1.
- It wasn't a simulation game like Gran Turismo, but it wasn't completely full blown kart racing game like CTR either. I'm pretty sure you couldn't see any racers in the cars, just the cars only.
- You could grab some sort of things from the race tracks though. I don't remember if they were usable items or more gas to the car.
- The game felt bit futuristic. I also associate the color blue with the game for some reason (maybe cover art had blue in it?)

This is all really vague, I know. I've tried to look through lists of all racing games for PS1, but haven't found it.

AmyS

Sorry not a question, but anyone remember this game?

Sly Spy aka Secret Agent
5PubqHt.jpg
qmXEXCZ.jpg

Sly Spy: Secret Agent also released on Amiga, Atari ST, C64, etc.

5hbMBNO.jpg

bomblord1

Banned
I remember a PS1 game extremely vaguely. It's been bugging me for years, but since I have almost no solid recollection of it, I haven't been able to find it at all.

- It wasn't a simulation game like Gran Turismo, but it wasn't completely full blown kart racing game like CTR either. I'm pretty sure you couldn't see any racers in the cars, just the cars only.
- You could grab some sort of things from the race tracks though. I don't remember if they were usable items or more gas to the car.
- The game felt bit futuristic. I also associate the color blue with the game for some reason (maybe cover art had blue in it?)

This is all really vague, I know. I've tried to look through lists of all racing games for PS1, but haven't found it.

This is the best match I could find
$_1.JPG

edit: Or maybe wipeout XL

Renekun

Neo Member
I remember playing a racing game on SNES. You could choose a female (pink) driver and use shields. I do remember a dark themed circuit (kind of Mario Kart ghost valley themed). I am not sure if there were lightnings (white frames that faded out).

Another detail is that I guess that the vehicles did not seem like normal racing cars but more like bubbles although they were supposed to look so. Very vague and confusing but does anybody know the name?

It was released in Europe if that helps.

I remember playing a racing game on SNES. You could choose a female (pink) driver and use shields. I do remember a dark themed circuit (kind of Mario Kart ghost valley themed). I am not sure if there were lightnings (white frames that faded out).

Another detail is that I guess that the vehicles did not seem like normal racing cars but more like bubbles although they were supposed to look so. Very vague and confusing but does anybody know the name?

It was released in Europe if that helps.

Sounds like Astro Go! Go!

eso76

Sorry not a question, but anyone remember this game?

Sly Spy aka Secret Agent

Sly Spy: Secret Agent also released on Amiga, Atari ST, C64, etc.

I do. I think most do, it's not an obscure title or anything.
I was always more of a Rolling Thunder guy, but home computer versions of Sly Spy were pretty decent at least (unlike Rolling Thunder's)
Tim Follin did the title track for some of those, although it's not one of his best works.

retroman

Impact Racing?

T-7307G_7,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-7-Impact-Racing-JPN.jpg

vkris

Banned
I wish I saw this thread earlier.
Went through the full list of MS-Dos games to find it: Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure.

COSMO01.png

I used to play at a family friend's house. Never knew the name.

I wish I saw this thread earlier.
Went through the full list of MS-Dos games to find it: Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure.

COSMO01.png

I used to play at a family friend's house. Never knew the name.

Ha. I remember playing that one quite a bit.

When I went through a phase of playing old dos games a few years ago it held up terribly against some of the others I played. That and Robocod or whatever it was called.

There was an arcade game I used to play that had a guy on it that looked like Indiana Jones along with a woman (and maybe other characters).

I wanna say it was like they were archaeologists and they had to fight or avoid mummies and other monsters. It played like Gauntlet but was different. I recall it had like caskets in tombs maybe ?

I found it a couple of years ago but forget the name.

EDIT: Found it! 99% sure it's Dark Adventure by Konami https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxcdEARYyIY

ethanny2

One time in 5th grade I had a snow day and most of the kids at school stayed home so the teacher thought it would be find to play a PC game as a class. It was a choose your own adventure game and the premise of the plot was you are normal child who wakes up and finds you turned into a monster. If you get far enough in the plot you end in a carnival with that
leads to another dimension
. Does anyone have any idea what it might be?

One time in 5th grade I had a snow day and most of the kids at school stayed home so the teacher thought it would be find to play a PC game as a class. It was a choose your own adventure game and the premise of the plot was you are normal child who wakes up and finds you turned into a monster. If you get far enough in the plot you end in a carnival with that

A bad dream? :D

aaaaaa

When were you in 5th grade? Graphics or no?

That vaguely rings a bell but I can't quite place it (especially the carnival part), and I didn't get anything from a quick Google search. How long ago were you in fifth grade?

Maybe JumpStart Adventures: 4th Grade - Haunted Island?

I'm thinking of a free flash game I played maybe eight years ago. It's a 2D platformer hand drawn in black and white. I think the main character was a cat or other animal and he had an umbrella. It's kind of a metroidvania with upgrades and various distinct areas like a forest, mining caves, cloud city with skyrails.

I'd appreciate any help. The game design, aesthetic, and feel is almost exactly like the new HollowKnight coming out (as much as I remember, anyway). I wonder if they are the same people.

EDIT: I found it. Umbrella Adventures. I don't remember it being so lo-fi.

bronson

Tried in the "stupid gaming questions" thread and was directed over here.

Anyway, this is a weird one, but I've been trying really hard to find out what game this forum post is talking about:

Back when the Xbox came out, we were working on a launch title. It involved cartoon characters with four fingers. Japanese localization forced us to remodel every single character in the game with five fingers (four fingers plus thumb) or we couldn't release the game in their region.

This resulted in a huge effort on our part to re-model every character when we were already done with the game. It also presented an even bigger problem because we had several pre-rendered cutscenes showing the characters with four fingers. We couldn't re-render these scenes, and we actually had to put a blur filter over the hands of the characters in the cutscenes to get it to pass Japanese certification.

So, an Original Xbox launch game with cartoony characters that were given five fingers for the Japanese release? I really thought it was Mad Dash Racing for a while there, but when I looked up JP footage the characters all had four fingers. Fuzion Frenzy wasn't released in Japan, and Blinx has five fingers in the Western release. Any ideas?

Tried in the "stupid gaming questions" thread and was directed over here.

Anyway, this is a weird one, but I've been trying really hard to find out what game this forum post is talking about:

So, an Original Xbox launch game with cartoony characters that were given five fingers for the Japanese release? I really thought it was Mad Dash Racing for a while there, but when I looked up JP footage the characters all had four fingers. Fuzion Frenzy wasn't released in Japan, and Blinx has five fingers in the Western release. Any ideas?

Maybe Nezmix?

Edit: Actually that was by a JP developer so most likely not.

Alric

This game was never officially released but back in 2004 I want to say there was a PC game in the works. It was first person and fantasy. The tech behind the game looked amazing and they talked about how the goblins would all be different sizes, run at different speeds and look different.
The "gameplay" video was of I believe a dagger wielding dude running atop of a building only to have a giant Orc like creature swing at him and crush the building.

This game was never officially released but back in 2004 I want to say there was a PC game in the works. It was first person and fantasy. The tech behind the game looked amazing and they talked about how the goblins would all be different sizes, run at different speeds and look different.
The "gameplay" video was of I believe a dagger wielding dude running atop of a building only to have a giant Orc like creature swing at him and crush the building.
You thinking of Project Offset?

jeemer

i saw a game very recently that's an upcoming indie title. it looked like it played like geometry wars 2 pacifism, ie not firing and simply steering around between enemies (although multiple types in this game) and gates etc. - anyone know what i'm on about?

edit: just in case anyone's interested, it's called Ellipsis.

Zoon

A (most likely) jrpg for the GBA. The only thing that I remember is that the starting area was a ruined castle or something. Had this game for about a week before I lost it.

Jedi2016

An arcade bullet-hell from mid to late 90s (probably on the earlier end of that scale, we had it in our barracks common area in 1997, and they never bought anything new). Vertical screen, vertical scrolling, etc. I remember it being vaguely WWII-themed (at least using prop planes from that era), but also had a lot of sci-fi elements, I think the enemies were aliens or something. I don't know that it ever saw a home release.

An arcade bullet-hell from mid to late 90s (probably on the earlier end of that scale, we had it in our barracks common area in 1997, and they never bought anything new). Vertical screen, vertical scrolling, etc. I remember it being vaguely WWII-themed (at least using prop planes from that era), but also had a lot of sci-fi elements, I think the enemies were aliens or something. I don't know that it ever saw a home release.

I'm guessing it's one from Psikyo's Strikers 1945 series.

Takeru

It basically a Monopoly-esque or Life-esque game but it wasn't exactly neither of them (I googled video games of both and it doesn't look like anything to this game I remember.) It was definitely a board game/party game.

And it had different maps - so once you reached the end of one map it transitioned to a different map, so you basically won once you reached the end or measured who did the most, kinda like Life. Technically wasn't a square board and it was from the 16-bit era for sure. Or definitely wasn't 3D at least.

Top Bottom