• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Niahak

I saw this posted at another forum, where someone wondering which game its from:

http://i.imgur.com/54xGHdW.jpg

Anyone knows?

I tried to figure out something from the signature in the lower right but I can't make out the last name - Greg Writens? I'd think if you can figure out what that says, you can find the individual in the credits. '96 is probably a good clue too.

Style wise looks like classic fantasy-jrpg esque, something like Lunar or Grandia but based on the name of the artist it's likely western-developed.

BooJoh

I tried to figure out something from the signature in the lower right but I can't make out the last name - Greg Writens? I'd think if you can figure out what that says, you can find the individual in the credits. '96 is probably a good clue too.

Style wise looks like classic fantasy-jrpg esque, something like Lunar or Grandia but based on the name of the artist it's likely western-developed.

It's Greg Winters. A reverse image search on Google will get you a few ebay postings and a thread on another forum where someone is offering $100 to the first person to figure out what it's from.

I looked around a bit but didn't find anything.

test_account

XP-39C²
Does the person who helps you find it get a cut of the $100 bounty? :p
Of course not.

Seriously though, i wouldnt claimed the $100 bounty if i didnt do the work myself. I'm more in for it to solve the mystery :) Was thinking about making a own thread, but thought i'd try here first.

Yeah, its Greg Winters, an artist that made several video game covers. Here is a thread with some more info:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=171662

I know that the picture was sold on Ebay during the last two weeks for $120, but nothing more than that (besides what the thread i linked to said of course).

EDIT: I can add that personally i dont think its a cover art for a game. I think it would be found by now if that was the case. I think its either a promo art, an inlay art, something that was in a manual, or something that was never released.

Selddon

Banned
Gonna be surprised if someone gets this one but it was an old german PC kids game that was pirate themed and you play as a kid. Includes a talking parrot, a top down stealth portion, and point and click puzzles

KOCMOHABT

what was the one Lego game (star wars? Harry potter?) that had a dynamic split screen, which would be on an angled line depending on how the 2 players were positioned and joined into one when they were close enough?

EDIT: I know the original lego star wars didnt have split, two players were always on the same screen. The newest one only has permanent - split and it's side by side.

jennetics

what was the one Lego game (star wars? Harry potter?) that had a dynamic split screen, which would be on an angled line depending on how the 2 players were positioned and joined into one when they were close enough?

I remember Lego Marvel Superheroes having that on there. Not sure about HP or SW, though.

EDIT: I know the original lego star wars didnt have split, two players were always on the same screen. The newest one only has permanent - split and it's side by side.
If I remember correctly it was either first in Lego Indiana Jones or Lego Pirates of the Caribbean, whichever it was made the game real hard to deal with.

KOCMOHABT

thanks guys, I checked it out a bit and it turns out that none of the old star wars games had split screen, it became a feature after indiana jones it seems.

Fou-Lu

I am thinking of a Sega Genesis game. It played in a similar perspective to Space Harrier and starred a woman on a red jetbike that would become a fighter jet in some levels.

There was a Japanese indie fighting game I saw on Gaf a few months ago with some of the strangest characters I've ever seen. One of them was a huge disembodied head who fought with gadgets inside his nose, ears, etc. I thought I bookmarked the topic I saw it in, but, alas.

Mammam

Neo Member
There was a game I used to play as a kid on the Amiga.
It was some kind of puzzle game - think the ice cave puzzle in Pokémon Gold/Silver.
I think you had to somehow connect colorful pieces but could only move in straight lines, just like on ice
We had a whole page of passwords for each level
most passwords were nerd things whose meaning I didn't understand as a kid
I'm pretty sure "Gandalf" was one of the passwords

EDIT
I'm pretty sure it was AMIGA, though it might have been Windows 3.11

It was some kind of puzzle game - think the ice cave puzzle in Pokémon Gold/Silver.
I think you had to somehow connect colorful pieces but could only move in straight lines, just like on ice

EDIT

It's been years since I played it, so it might not even play like that, but it wouldn't be Kwik Snax (Dizzy) by any chance, would it?

Mammam

Neo Member
Sadly it's neither Deflektor nor Kwik Snax :/
In my game there was no character at all
just colorful pieces you had to move

Again, looking at the graphics of Deflektor, I'm not sure if it might have been a W3.11 game after all

EDIT

Try Atomix or The Brainies/Tiny Skweeks. There are a lot of variants and clones of this puzzle concept on the Amiga so it'll probably take some digging to find it if it isn't one of these two.

Mammam

Neo Member
Try Atomix or The Brainies/Tiny Skweeks. There are a lot of variants and clones of this puzzle concept on the Amiga so it'll probably take some digging to find it if it isn't one of these two.

Still none of those but the gameplay of Atomix looks VERY close to what I'm loooking for, thank you! :)

Mammam

Neo Member
Puzznic? That has gravity though.

No, that's not it :(

I think compared to Atomix it wasn't your job to connect one atom but rather match coloered pieces.

so there would be a two blue pieces, two yellow pieces, two green pieces etc somewhere on screen and it was your job to connect them - at least as far as I remember

The way you are able to move these pieces is more or less like Atomix though
Everything only moves in a straight line and only stops when it hits a wall or obstacle

Alright, I've been trying to Google this out for a while now and it's just not working.

The game that I remember was a DOS-based top-down mech game. The most distinctive thing I remember is that before you got to play it would ask you questions from what I guess was the manual and it wouldn't let you play unless you put in the correct answer. I remember this the most because for a while I couldn't even play the game because I didn't have the manual and didn't know the answers. Once you were in there were 4 or 5 different factions, and several mechs you could play as, I remember a small quick type called Dragon and there was a heavier model that I'm pretty sure was called Titan. This is pretty much all I remember as I was quite young when I played it.

bjork

No, that's not it :(

I think compared to Atomix it wasn't your job to connect one atom but rather match coloered pieces.

so there would be a two blue pieces, two yellow pieces, two green pieces etc somewhere on screen and it was your job to connect them - at least as far as I remember

The way you are able to move these pieces is more or less like Atomix though
Everything only moves in a straight line and only stops when it hits a wall or obstacle

Flipull?

dl77

Alright, I've been trying to Google this out for a while now and it's just not working.

The game that I remember was a DOS-based top-down mech game. The most distinctive thing I remember is that before you got to play it would ask you questions from what I guess was the manual and it wouldn't let you play unless you put in the correct answer. I remember this the most because for a while I couldn't even play the game because I didn't have the manual and didn't know the answers. Once you were in there were 4 or 5 different factions, and several mechs you could play as, I remember a small quick type called Dragon and there was a heavier model that I'm pretty sure was called Titan. This is pretty much all I remember as I was quite young when I played it.

Titans of Steel?

Titans of Steel?

No, afraid thats not it. The game I'm thinking of is pretty old, couldn't say exactly when but late 80's, early 90's at least. Played from a floppy disk.

Also, it was sort of an action shooter, I guess? The player controlled the mech directly and thelasers would overheat if you shot too often.

Mammam

Neo Member

Still not the one, thank you though. This actually looks really fun on YouTube!

I'm pretty sure there was no character in my game (In Flipull there's some little wizard on the right?)

The oveall design and gameplay is somewhat similar to Atomix but I remember it as VERY colorful and rich in contrast. Black background and colorful pieces.

Also it had a lot of levels. The password sheet we made back then probably had 50+ entries on it

mclem

The oveall design and gameplay is somewhat similar to Atomix but I remember it as VERY colorful and rich in contrast. Black background and colorful pieces.

Also it had a lot of levels. The password sheet we made back then probably had 50+ entries on it

What about Atomino? It's a game not unlike Atomix, but it's a distinct title.

twihaJ6.png

Edit: Ah, except that didn't have a sliding mechanic, IIRC.

Mammam

Neo Member
What about Atomino? It's a game not unlike Atomix, but it's a distinct title.

twihaJ6.png

Edit: Ah, except that didn't have a sliding mechanic, IIRC.

yep, I already looked that one up as well
no sliding mechanic ;)
but the look is indeed a little closer to what I'm looking for

BlitzKeeg

There was a game that I played on PC when I was really young (not sure if it was windows or Mac), but it was in the 90s.

Basically it was this area denial game where there are these white and red balls bouncing around in an empty square and you had to build walls in order to close them into as little space as possible.

You had a cursor and when you would click the mouse the "wall" would shoot out of both sides of the cursor and continue until they hit the edge of the box. If the walls hit the edge without a ball touching any part of it while it was traveling, it would fill in any space that the walls contained. If a ball was in the space that would normally be filled in, the wall would just stay there without filling anything in. You could also rotate the cursor so the walls came out vertically or horizontally so you could strategize. Eventually you were squeezing the balls into smaller and smaller spaces as the negative space was filled in until you filled the whole level to a specified percentage.

The difficulty would come from how may balls there were, how fast they went, and how much space you had to fill in before the level ended. The win state was to reach a percentage of the box filled with wall, and the lose state was to be hit too many times by the balls while making the walls.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Mihos

Gold Member
There was a game that I played on PC when I was really young (not sure if it was windows or Mac), but it was in the 90s.

Basically it was this area denial game where there are these white and red balls bouncing around in an empty square and you had to build walls in order to close them into as little space as possible.

You had a cursor and when you would click the mouse the "wall" would shoot out of both sides of the cursor and continue until they hit the edge of the box. If the walls hit the edge without a ball touching any part of it while it was traveling, it would fill in any space that the walls contained. If a ball was in the space that would normally be filled in, the wall would just stay there without filling anything in. You could also rotate the cursor so the walls came out vertically or horizontally so you could strategize. Eventually you were squeezing the balls into smaller and smaller spaces as the negative space was filled in until you filled the whole level to a specified percentage.

The difficulty would come from how may balls there were, how fast they went, and how much space you had to fill in before the level ended. The win state was to reach a percentage of the box filled with wall, and the lose state was to be hit too many times by the balls while making the walls.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Sounds like Zolyx or maybe some updated version of it since you said it was later in the 90s and I played Zolyx in the 80s

Still not the one, thank you though. This actually looks really fun on YouTube!

I'm pretty sure there was no character in my game (In Flipull there's some little wizard on the right?)

Looked through a few more games on Lemon Amiga:
- Dweek!
- Moving
- Shiftrix
- Shuffle
- Stres
- Total Pattern

mclem

These are all close, especially Shuffle and Stres :)
Appaerently we were able to pinpoint the genre
which one of the probably hundreds of clones out there I actually played, who knows ;)

Stumbled on a thread that might well help you, although the age means that a number of the links are dead; a discussion specifically about Atomix clones.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=910338

Edit: Here's a screenshot of Atome, the first dead link mentioned in that thread:

r32DZcS.png

Cormano

Im trying to remember the name of this game, its an NES title, all I remember was a blue/teal car, some sort of shoot em up with different levels. Sorry for the vague explantion but thata literally i can remember.

Vbrasa

I remember watching a friend play a game that looked pretty cool but I don't remember the name (obviously why I'm here). It was on the PS2, an RPG, and kinda looked like a tales game. I remember my friend saying you could recruit over 100 party members and they'd stay at your base, (but you could only have a few in your party at a time or something).

DTJAAAAM

I remember watching a friend play a game that looked pretty cool but I don't remember the name (obviously why I'm here). It was on the PS2, an RPG, and kinda looked like a tales game. I remember my friend saying you could recruit over 100 party members and they'd stay at your base, (but you could only have a few in your party at a time or something).

Radiata Stories?

JoeNut

So here's a niche one...

Did anyone ever play an online, text based wrestling game? it was basically a chat room, where you inserted moves and grapples like <headlock> or something, and you fought against other people online?

I remember spending loads of time with it but can't remember much more than that, it must've been at least 15 years ago, would be cool to see if there's something still going.

There was an F1 racing one too which was text based, but you changed parameters of the car and then simulated a race

Top Bottom