• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

mclem

Unless it's Super Mario Bros ( :p ) I have no idea.

eso76
If it quacks like a duck...

Y'know, I'd forgotten about the PC-8800 "Super Mario Bros Special", which fills the 'home computer version', and was the only thing missing from the definition.

Mind you, not very Lewis Carroll (heck, I can't really think of *anything* that's particularly Lewis Carroll-y), but I suspect this is indeed just an obfuscated SMB description.

eso76

Y'know, I'd forgotten about the PC-8800 "Super Mario Bros Special", which fills the 'home computer version', and was the only thing missing from the definition.

Mind you, not very Lewis Carroll (heck, I can't really think of *anything* that's particularly Lewis Carroll-y), but I suspect this is indeed just an obfuscated SMB description.

Yeah, i don't get the Lewis Carrol thing either but apparently parallels between SMB and Alice in Wonderland are a thing, and Miyamoto even said this himself:

"It started with a simple idea. I thought: ”I wonder what it would be like to have a character that bounces around. And the background should be a clear, blue sky." I took that idea to a programmer, and we started working on it.

Mario ended up being too big, so we shrank him. Then we thought, ”What if he can grow and shrink? How would he do that? It would have to be a magic mushroom! Where would a mushroom grow? In a forest." We thought of giving Mario a girlfriend, and then we started talking about Alice in Wonderland.
"

If that was indeed a SMB joke i want Deadpool_X's head.

mclem

"It started with a simple idea. I thought: ”I wonder what it would be like to have a character that bounces around. And the background should be a clear, blue sky." I took that idea to a programmer, and we started working on it.

Mario ended up being too big, so we shrank him. Then we thought, ”What if he can grow and shrink? How would he do that? It would have to be a magic mushroom! Where would a mushroom grow? In a forest." We thought of giving Mario a girlfriend, and then we started talking about Alice in Wonderland.
"

For fun times, imagine that entire discussion taking place while the people talking are very, very high.

Yeah, i don't get the Lewis Carrol thing either but apparently parallels between SMB and Alice in Wonderland are a thing, and Miyamoto even said this himself:

"It started with a simple idea. I thought: “I wonder what it would be like to have a character that bounces around. And the background should be a clear, blue sky.” I took that idea to a programmer, and we started working on it.

Mario ended up being too big, so we shrank him. Then we thought, “What if he can grow and shrink? How would he do that? It would have to be a magic mushroom! Where would a mushroom grow? In a forest.” We thought of giving Mario a girlfriend, and then we started talking about Alice in Wonderland.
"

If that was indeed a SMB joke i want Deadpool_X's head.

Super.mario_.bros_.arcade.marquee-www.arcadespecialties.com_.jpg

Super_Mario_Bros._box.png

hqdefault.jpg

You guys got it. Sorry if that was mean, but I was wanting to see how long it would take our brightest gaming historians to figure out one of the most recognizable games in the world. I work in IT, and there are a ton of time where I skip right past the obvious, looking for the much more difficult answer/solution.

Anyway, for your patience, and per your request:

deadpools_head_classic_round_sticker-rdc29c99e0eaa4dc39465a0b85d356c43_v9wth_8byvr_324.jpg

mclem

You guys got it. Sorry if that was mean, but I was wanting to see how long it would take our brightest gaming historians to figure out one of the most recognizable games in the world. I work in IT, and there are a ton of time where I skip right past the obvious, looking for the much more difficult answer/solution.

It's not the first time it's been tried in this thread, and I'm sure it won't be the last! Indeed, thinking about this has got me musing on this thread in general and my approach to the problems it brings up:

There's a few times this sort of thing have happened innocently; games that we've tended to dismiss as 'just too obvious', which happened to be the thing the requester was indeed asking for. Or occasionally it's turned up in the form of them remembering a specific scene, without realising it was part of a game they're already familiar with.

At the other end of the scale, there's a few games that have cropped up in this thread so frequently that - while they're quite obscure - they're occasionally things I'd think of *first*. Skyroads is a good example there; not a terribly well-known game, but it's been the mystery game something like six or seven times now. Incoming's another one of that ilk, and the various games in the Super Solvers family.

One other bit of obfuscation you managed that I'm not even sure was a conscious choice was that fact that I'll generally try to deduce some plausible avenues based on reasonable assumption about the circumstances of the person asking; for instance, recollections are *likely* to be of early levels in the game, particularly for older, harder games, simply by virtue of the fact that that's all they'll have seen. Demos, Shareware or freeware crops up often, because as a kid with access to a home computer in the 1990s or therabouts, that was a common source of new stuff and demos in particular are likely to have been a fleeting enough experience that you'd end up only slight recollection of the occasional scene that made an impact. In your case, bringing up the PC version made it significantly more obscure, because of the situation where both Super Mario Bros Special is itself not well-known, but also the fact that it's fairly unlikely you'd have really been in a situation where you'd have encountered it.

Another one is the fact that half-remembered games are generally only recalled in the context that is actually depicted on-screen. The mention of the portal into a strange world might be established in the SMB backstory, but it's not actually visible in the game (although now I'm wondering if that might be explained in the arcade cabinet artwork? Not really sure when the transition went away from arcade cabinet artworks that explained the basic game rules!)

One of these days - when I can face the effort involved! - I'm going to go through this thread and pick out key features of recollection for people for various games, maybe try to form a database of half-remembered stuff.

Super.mario_.bros_.arcade.marquee-www.arcadespecialties.com_.jpg

Super_Mario_Bros._box.png

hqdefault.jpg

Anyway, for your patience, and per your request:

deadpools_head_classic_round_sticker-rdc29c99e0eaa4dc39465a0b85d356c43_v9wth_8byvr_324.jpg

BASTARD! :)

I was convinced I recognised that game as something else!

eso76

As a social experiment though, it's flawed :p On GAF no one would believe you wouldn't remember the name of arguably the most famous videogame ever, so people would understandably look elsewhere. It had to be something rather obscure, but then something that has arcade, console and pc version couldn't be.

mclem said:
One of these days - when I can face the effort involved! - I'm going to go through this thread and pick out key features of recollection for people for various games, maybe try to form a database of half-remembered stuff.

Nice ! while you're at it you could compile a list of posts that were never answered, or guesses that the requesting poster never checked or confirmed.

It's not the first time it's been tried in this thread, and I'm sure it won't be the last! Indeed, thinking about this has got me musing on this thread in general and my approach to the problems it brings up:

There's a few times this sort of thing have happened innocently; games that we've tended to dismiss as 'just too obvious', which happened to be the thing the requester was indeed asking for. Or occasionally it's turned up in the form of them remembering a specific scene, without realising it was part of a game they're already familiar with.

At the other end of the scale, there's a few games that have cropped up in this thread so frequently that - while they're quite obscure - they're occasionally things I'd think of *first*. Skyroads is a good example there; not a terribly well-known game, but it's been the mystery game something like six or seven times now. Incoming's another one of that ilk, and the various games in the Super Solvers family.

One other bit of obfuscation you managed that I'm not even sure was a conscious choice was that fact that I'll generally try to deduce some plausible avenues based on reasonable assumption about the circumstances of the person asking; for instance, recollections are *likely* to be of early levels in the game, particularly for older, harder games, simply by virtue of the fact that that's all they'll have seen. Demos, Shareware or freeware crops up often, because as a kid with access to a home computer in the 1990s or therabouts, that was a common source of new stuff and demos in particular are likely to have been a fleeting enough experience that you'd end up only slight recollection of the occasional scene that made an impact. In your case, bringing up the PC version made it significantly more obscure, because of the situation where both Super Mario Bros Special is itself not well-known, but also the fact that it's fairly unlikely you'd have really been in a situation where you'd have encountered it.

Another one is the fact that half-remembered games are generally only recalled in the context that is actually depicted on-screen. The mention of the portal into a strange world might be established in the SMB backstory, but it's not actually visible in the game (although now I'm wondering if that might be explained in the arcade cabinet artwork? Not really sure when the transition went away from arcade cabinet artworks that explained the basic game rules!)

As a social experiment though, it's flawed :p On GAF no one would believe you wouldn't remember the name of arguably the most famous videogame ever, so people would understandably look elsewhere. It had to be something rather obscure, but then something that has arcade, console and pc version couldn't be.

Nice ! while you're at it you could compile a list of posts that were never answered, or guesses that the requesting poster never checked or confirmed.

I've been toying with the idea of gathering similar information over the years (especially since most major websites and forums usually have a place like this thread), maybe even try to build a website (even though I wouldn't even know where to start) dedicated to finding forgotten games, with template forms to fill in mandatory search information people usually omit, creating request tickets (or maybe a forum posts with fill-in forms?) as well as updating the database regularly with common tags so the most requested games show up on the main page or at least end up at the top of the search results list, making the whole thing much easier for people to find the games. Also maybe even have a system to recommend similar games with same or related tags/genres, so even the person asking the question can quickly browse through screenshots and find the game. It's a bit frustrating (for everyone, I think) when a question gets buried and forgotten over time as well as people that asked the question forget to come back and confirm whether the game was found, so something like that could certainly help.

Though it would kinda also take some of the fun out of "the hunt" for people that like to search and help out in threads like these. :)

I remember playing this game in the 90s. It had an owl, all these stupid holes you keep falling into, and really bad pre-rendered backgrounds for shops and homes. I gave up after an hour and hadn't really thought about it since seeing this thread. Any ideas?

Pantz

It was a game on PC around 1997-1999, a fps with different characters to pick from males and females and each one had a different weapon. There were red and blue key cards... I've been trying to think of it and thought it started with a V but could be wrong. I think one of the girls was a sniper type. There was definitely a blonde one.

I remember playing this game in the 90s. It had an owl, all these stupid holes you keep falling into, and really bad pre-rendered backgrounds for shops and homes. I gave up after an hour and hadn't really thought about it since seeing this thread. Any ideas?

What genre was it, sidescrolling platformer? Also which system?

It was a game on PC around 1997-1999, a fps with different characters to pick from males and females and each one had a different weapon. There were red and blue key cards... I've been trying to think of it and thought it started with a V but could be wrong. I think one of the girls was a sniper type. There was definitely a blonde one.

Sounds like Vigilance, although it's a third person shooter.

mclem

You're not trying to ape Deadpool_X by talking about Zelda, are you?

mclem

Didn't know that I was aping anyone, but yeah, I was describing Ocarina of Time. A little early April Fool's humor, good on you for figuring it out!
Unfortunately you tried it just a couple of days after someone did that with Super Mario Bros, so we're on our guard!

There was a thread a little while back, actually, which had the premise of "guess the well-known game from this vague description", it tended to be quite good fun.

tquinta

Neo Member
There was this demo of a game I played mid 90s I can't remember the name of
- It was a first person western 3D dungeon crawler
- You start in an open space and then enter the dungeons
- There were some anthropomorphic animals, one was a rhinoceros
- It was pretty dark, not cartoony.

Ever since Legend of Grimrock released I'm trying to remember this game, since it looked quite like it

Edit: this is not April fools, I don't know much about old school dungeon crawl games

The game was on PC and th disk it came on had a trailer for GoldenEye (the movie) so it was around 1995

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
There was this demo of a game I played mid 90s I can't remember the name of
- It was a first person western 3D dungeon crawler
- You start in an open space and then enter the dungeons
- There were some anthropomorphic animals, one was a rhinoceros
- It was pretty dark, not cartoony.

Ever since Legend of Grimrock released I'm trying to remember this game, since it looked quite like it

Edit: this is not April fools, I don't know much about old school dungeon crawl games

The game was on PC and th disk it came on had a trailer for GoldenEye (the movie) so it was around 1995

Sounds like Wizardry 7, though that's a pretty notable game to forget.

alZxzxc.jpg

Can anyone help me remember a pc racing game from around 97? could have been made a little after or before but it was 3d and looked pretty decent. I don't remember much about but there was someway to sort of fly around and get high as well. (unless im mistaking) I remember tracks not being too small but my memory is really really not good on this title for what things looked like specifically. I didn't play the game as much as I wanted

Really wish I could give more details but I have no idea honestly.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Can anyone help me remember a pc racing game from around 97? could have been made a little after or before but it was 3d and looked pretty decent. I don't remember much about but there was someway to sort of fly around and get high as well. (unless im mistaking) I remember tracks not being too small but my memory is really really not good on this title for what things looked like specifically. I didn't play the game as much as I wanted

Really wish I could give more details but I have no idea honestly.

What kind of vehicles were you racing?

Kimgaz

Neo Member
I am thinking of a PS2 game from approximately 2001-03 and it was a turn-based strategy-ish game. It might have been Japanese and it certainly had a Japanese look to it. You used melee weapons, such as swords, and you could buy single troops during fights. Battlefield consisted of squares. A weird thing I remember is that the troops swung back and forth at all times.

This is not much to go by but if someone has any idea it would be appreciated!

Phediuk

I am thinking of a PS2 game from approximately 2001-03 and it was a turn-based strategy-ish game. It might have been Japanese and it certainly had a Japanese look to it. You used melee weapons, such as swords, and you could buy single troops during fights. Battlefield consisted of squares. A weird thing I remember is that the troops swung back and forth at all times.

This is not much to go by but if someone has any idea it would be appreciated!

Sounds like Dynasty Tactics.

Kimgaz

Neo Member
Sounds like Dynasty Tactics.

Thanks for your time but not Dynasty Tactics.
But when I went to Youtube to watch videos of Dynasty Tactics I came across a video of the game I was looking for! It was Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. It was a PS1 game released in 1995 which I played on a PS2. Now to go buy this game for the sake of nostalgia!

Big red racing?

Oh no, it was much more 3d and looked better than ps1/saturn games. That is why im not sure if it was into 98 or not. It was also a little more like a NFS in looks and driving than a game like big red

If my memory serves me right it probably looked a bit worse than dreamcast.

Pretty sure you could go high up in the air somehow and the ground was still fairly visible if remember correctly. I though there was a blue car on the case or disc? but maybe I am wrong about that as N64 had a game like that and maybe that is getting mixed up in my memory. I also thought the game had a blimp on the case, disc or menu but again maybe im wrong about that.

If there was a YT video of all pc games by year or a list of pc games maybe I could find it... but every time I have tried the last few years I failed.

fireflame

Fun to see i played the game that has the same name as poster above me^^.

I am trying to find the name of a game very similar to Streets of Rage. Fights happened in streets, but special attacks were different as when you upgraded them, you could: do a series of quick jabs(level 1), use another power(level 2), summon lightinings(level 3), summon 2 tornadoes(level4).

I cannot remember anything else, i saw this game run on pc but it could have been emulated, game tended to crash after a while. Graphics were megadrive quality or slightly better.

I suspect it may have been an altered version of Streets of Rage but i am not sure. I have not find the name of the game in years.

Maybe the game in thinking is actually from 2000 or so. If pc games took a while to look better.

I'm also wondering what that bug 3d game in apple computers was called. Pretty sure that was around 99. Remember playing it in high-school. Definitely remember it looking better than n64 and was on those bright green colored monitors.

squidyj

A game set in the 90s about a girl disappearing? theres a band I think, and maybe someone on a skateboard? and some trippy stuff going on. I heard about it relatively recently
I know it's not Virginia but that's it

BooJoh

A game set in the 90s about a girl disappearing? theres a band I think, and maybe someone on a skateboard? and some trippy stuff going on. I heard about it relatively recently

Any idea when the game came out? The only thing I can think of from this vague description is Gone Home.

Life is Strange?
It loosely fits your description.

Jake.

SNES game (PAL).

you play as a tiny astronaut/spaceman flying around on a planet doing various shit that i can't remember.

i think you have an oxygen meter and/or timer.

any ideas?

edit: super drop zone!

GMAK2442

Like two weeks ago I though about a game I have like a lot and I don't remember the name. I was playing on my 286. It was a police game or investigator game and you was searching for criminals around the world and need a mandate to arrest them.

I asked my semi-mom if she remember it and she said yes but not the name her too.

squidyj

Life is Strange?
It loosely fits your description.

no its definitely not life is strange, or gone home.
Like I said I remember watching a trailer for it within the past few years and it wasnt out at that point.

The rest of what I say may or may not actually be true/
If I remember correctly the character that went missing was in a band with her boyfriend who eventually went looking for her? I got a sense of a pacific midwest vibe and I vaguely remember a redheaded dude?
Additionally I want to say it was japanese devs because i sort of remember thinking it interesting that japanese devs were making a game in such a specific time and place in america.

BooJoh

Like two weeks ago I though about a game I have like a lot and I don't remember the name. I was playing on my 286. It was a police game or investigator game and you was searching for criminals around the world and need a mandate to arrest them.

I asked my semi-mom if she remember it and she said yes but not the name her too.

Sounds like Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? You had to follow clues to figure out where to go around the world to find a suspect, you had to get a warrant for the correct suspect based on criminal dossiers and eyewitness statements so you could arrest the right suspect, eventually leading to trying to catch Carmen herself.

GMAK2442

Sounds like Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? You had to follow clues to figure out where to go around the world to find a suspect, you had to get a warrant for the correct suspect based on criminal dossiers and eyewitness statements so you could arrest the right suspect, eventually leading to trying to catch Carmen herself.

Yes! I remember now.

I'm going to watch it Youtube now.

Thanks.

tquinta

Neo Member
Sounds like Wizardry 7, though that's a pretty notable game to forget.

alZxzxc.jpg

Not Wizardry, but I can I see how it would fit.
The game was much darker and grimmer, I remember the skies being dark too, like purple or red. And the rhino character was one of the good guys I think. The protagonist was some sort of generic shirtless hero.

Edit: Found it! The game was World of Aden: Thunderscape
Such a satisfying feeling.

Found a video of it (includes the rhino, Theros): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0kQvDI6DOA

DrkSage

Back with another game.

This ones an arcade racer, probably from N64/PS1/PC.
Looked like it was top down view, you would choose your car in this arena/podium looking thing, and then you would drive it off the ledge down to the start point or lobby, doors would open and the race would start. Last thing I can remember is this underwater level where the cars would change from wheel to submarine-like vehicles

Probably was an RC car game

Barakas

Neo Member
Hey everyone, the game i remember (microprose pc port maybe?)
top screen game you started as a motorbike i think then as you pickup powerups you progressed into a car then maybe a plane?, pretty sure you could upgrade your rapid fire weapons as well. I seem to recall it came in the same cardboard case as games like Rick Dangerous. Would have to have been 286 days.

its probably real simple but cant for the life of me find it

KillySG10

Neo Member
Back with another game.

This ones an arcade racer, probably from N64/PS1/PC.
Looked like it was top down view, you would choose your car in this arena/podium looking thing, and then you would drive it off the ledge down to the start point or lobby, doors would open and the race would start. Last thing I can remember is this underwater level where the cars would change from wheel to submarine-like vehicles

Probably was an RC car game

This reminds me a lot of Micro Machines V3, but i don't remember the underwater part.

EDIT: Looking at some vids, i'm not so sure now, but it could be one of the other MM games

eso76

Hey everyone, the game i remember (microprose pc port maybe?)
top screen game you started as a motorbike i think then as you pickup powerups you progressed into a car then maybe a plane?, pretty sure you could upgrade your rapid fire weapons as well. I seem to recall it came in the same cardboard case as games like Rick Dangerous. Would have to have been 286 days.

its probably real simple but cant for the life of me find it

Action Fighter ?

Top Bottom