• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Two that I'd love some help with. Both NES.

1. Werewolf with sword hands. Cover was him busting out of a yellow background.

2. Fat russian dude who could breathe fire. I think he had a top knot style hair cut. Didn't wear a shirt. Red pants. I think it starts with a K. Possibly had a cameo in Bad Dudes (hella underrated game)

1. Is literally titled werewolf
2. Yes karnov

stickkidsam

I don’t know if this was just a dream from my childhood or not. Would’ve been late 90’s.

You played as a human, running around a city and you could enter a giant mech to fight other mechs. You could also enter them by getting on top of tall buildings and jumping on.

That’s all I remember.

Last edited:
I've actually asked this on gaf before but I've forgotten the name of it again.

It's like a really horrible filthy murderous society and you're a taxi driver. You're taxi has guns n stuff and u can pick people up too. It's very old, it's pre carmeggeddon. PC/Amiga I think.
Quarantine. I played a lot of those old school 486 era, first person PC shooters.

Two that I'd love some help with. Both NES.

1. Werewolf with sword hands. Cover was him busting out of a yellow background.

2. Fat russian dude who could breathe fire. I think he had a top knot style hair cut. Didn't wear a shirt. Red pants. I think it starts with a K. Possibly had a cameo in Bad Dudes (hella underrated game)
Shit, page opened before it was answered, and I didn't see it. Ha!

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Looking for a particular game. Here's a description:

- PC game
- Likely came out some time between 1990 and 1995.
- Side scroller
- I believe the main character was a kid/adult. When they got damaged they got smaller in size (similar to Mario in Super Mario Bros, but regressing in age)
- One stage seemed to include a cemetery with bats and graves

Hoppa

I’ve been trying to find a trailer for a game that was announced at an event like E3 or Gamescom(?) within the last 7 or 8 years. I think it was a sequel or a game in a series and I really don’t have much to go off, but at the end of the trailer I believe the character is chased to the edge of a cliff by a bear. I want to say the game was steampunkish, I’m thinking like a Dark Sector or Rage but I might be way off - it could’ve just been FarCry but I can’t seem to find it anywhere. Vaguely remember there being a wooden drawbridge and I think the character used a crossbow?

Last edited:

protonion

I’ve been trying to find a trailer for a game that was announced at an event like E3 or Gamescom(?) within the last 7 or 8 years. I think it was a sequel or a game in a series and I really don’t have much to go off, but at the end of the trailer I believe the character is chased to the edge of a cliff by a bear. I want to say the game was steampunkish, I’m thinking like a Dark Sector or Rage but I might be way off - it could’ve just been FarCry but I can’t seem to find it anywhere. Vaguely remember there being a wooden drawbridge and I think the character used a crossbow?
An early Days Gone trailer ended with a bear reveal.

Yerd

- PC game
- Side scroller
- I believe the main character was a kid/adult. When they got damaged they got smaller in size (similar to Mario in Super Mario Bros, but regressing in age)
I would guess a Commander Keen game. I never played any of them so can't confirm. But I remember a kid being involved.

Hoppa

An early Days Gone trailer ended with a bear reveal.
Ooh good suggestion. After posting I slogged through E3 announcement trailers starting in 2016 and I managed to find it! it was Metro Exodus. I've never played the series before, didn't realise it was so Van Helsing.. I always presumed it was more realistic

Kindjal

- PC game
- Side scroller
Monster Bash, maybe?

Dark Rider

For years I've been trying to remember a shoot em up game name but can't :(

It was on either the NES or Genesis and all I can remember at the moment is that you play with a small space ship and the second boss fight is against a giant clear ice ball with the boss core right in the middle so you have to shoot through the front and back to create a tunnel to the the core to shoot it, the boss had two ice-breaker like arms at the top and bottom of the ice ball that would try to stab you.

anyone can help me with this?

I dug up my game cartridges and found it, it is called "Over Horizon" on the famicom
Nintendo_Entertainment_System_Over_Horizon_cover_art.jpg

Last edited:
Was thinking about my old gaming days. And a game came to my mind that I've played on the SNES but the name/title escapes my memory.

All I remember was that it was some sort of a side scroller. And I don't remember if this part was from a boss or a stage, but a big foot would come down and try to hit you. If it touched you, I believe it was a 1 shot. The foot was creepy, and that's the only part I remember seeing on screen.

This is driving me nuts, does anyone have a clue what retro gem this might be?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Was thinking about my old gaming days. And a game came to my mind that I've played on the SNES but the name/title escapes my memory.

All I remember was that it was some sort of a side scroller. And I don't remember if this part was from a boss or a stage, but a big foot would come down and try to hit you. If it touched you, I believe it was a 1 shot. The foot was creepy, and that's the only part I remember seeing on screen.

The end boss of Shadow of the Beast has a foot. But it doesn't come down and hit you.

NewYork214

Army game on genesis. You could use the peripheral that let you add more controllers. I remember using a flame thrower a lot in it, I believe. Some reason I feel like the cartridge was bigger the normal.

Honestly not sure how accurate that is. But I know we had extra players added.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Army game on genesis. You could use the peripheral that let you add more controllers. I remember using a flame thrower a lot in it, I believe. Some reason I feel like the cartridge was bigger the normal.

Honestly not sure how accurate that is. But I know we had extra players added.

Battletoads in battlemaniacs?

Roberts

It must have been mid 90’s when I played it on PC - an old school 1st perspective grid RPG like Wizardry and Eye of the Beholder. You walk around an old mansion and maybe there was a big basement with a dungeon. Can’t remember much but I really like it.

protonion

It must have been mid 90’s when I played it on PC - an old school 1st perspective grid RPG like Wizardry and Eye of the Beholder. You walk around an old mansion and maybe there was a big basement with a dungeon. Can’t remember much but I really like it.

Companions of Xanth?

Roberts

Companions of Xanth?
Thanks, but I don't think so - remember it more like 7th hour visually, but as an RPG. I just did a lot of google searching and didn't come up with anything resembling that game. So, it is quite possible that my memory is fucking with me and I have either dreamt it or it is a combination of different games blended into one memory.

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

Pc game from 90s I think you start off near water and possibly a bridge where you have kill this spider it's been annoying for decades.

Marvel14

Banned
Have you ever thought of a game, but don't know the title, or much about it at all? Maybe it was a game from your childhood, or some game that interested you when it was announced but fell off your radar. Post them in this thread and let's see if other GAF posters can help you out.

Anyways, I saw someone mention Battlezone on here and started to think about this tank combat game for the arcade. I think it was from Japan or had some Japanese name. I don't remember much about it except that it was two player and you could fight each other's tanks. One of the tanks was also white I think. Any ideas?
8 bit game on the Amstrad CPC 464 ...you run around a building (going left and right) looking for a key or something and you walk by undetected by the enemy npcs.

If you knock one of them down or shoot them theyre all alerted and come after you. Remember thinking the animation and movement were ahead of their time...no idea what it's called.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
A game for the original NES.

- A 2D hack n slash / platformer.

- You were a knight fighting in trees. I think you could go in some trees to secret areas.

- There was lava pretty early in the game and you needed lava boots.

- I remember it having cool music as a kid.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

- You were a knight fighting in trees. I think you could go in some trees to secret areas.

Faxanadu?

RoboFu

One of the green rats

wizards & warriors?

wizardsandwarriors.png

BmW371FIUAAoxaf.png

playXray

This game was released for the old Acorn Risc PC (either Acorn 3000 or 4000 I think), and it involved flying through space while magnetised/stuck on to a pipe. You contolled a space craft/futuristic racing vehicle of some kind, and I think you had to shoot bad stuff and collect good stuff while avoiding obstacles. This is a very crude drawing I came up with:

space-race.jpg

Any ideas? Would have been around the mid 90s.

drganon

I remember playing an arcade game where you had a steering wheel and a light gun. I think the idea was one person would drive,and the other would shoot.

The Alien

Banned
Ok...so this is gonna sound like a trolljob, buy hear me out and help me out. I swear, it's a real game.

Back when I was a kid (mid/late 80s), my cousin had a Commodore 64 (i think) and a bunch of games but one still sticks in my mind.

Not sure if it was Sex Games or Sex Olympics. It likely wasn't an officially licensed game (obviously). Due to age we'll say the graphics were not at all sexy. Lol. But there were 5 or 6 stages you had to complete. The first stage was a blowjob...then if u were 'successful' yiu moved onto tye next stage (missionary or doggy) and the last was a full out gangbang. You needed to keep your pleasure meter up high enough or you'd go limp (not kidding).

I've tried finding this game....for nostalgia. But no luck...not even pics or a name.

Anything sound familiar?

I remember a crappy DOS game that I used to play. It was basically a character with a jetpack on his back moving through different environments. It reminded me of E.T. The Video Game in the way the levels were designed and the main character was red.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Ok...so this is gonna sound like a trolljob, buy hear me out and help me out. I swear, it's a real game.

Back when I was a kid (mid/late 80s), my cousin had a Commodore 64 (i think) and a bunch of games but one still sticks in my mind.

Not sure if it was Sex Games or Sex Olympics. It likely wasn't an officially licensed game (obviously). Due to age we'll say the graphics were not at all sexy. Lol. But there were 5 or 6 stages you had to complete. The first stage was a blowjob...then if u were 'successful' yiu moved onto tye next stage (missionary or doggy) and the last was a full out gangbang. You needed to keep your pleasure meter up high enough or you'd go limp (not kidding).

I've tried finding this game....for nostalgia. But no luck...not even pics or a name.

Anything sound familiar?
I think our buddy Fredrik Fredrik can tell you all about that one. Google search lead me to a post he made on GAF. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

anothertech

It was a PC game in the late 80s or early 90s. The intro screen was a comet or some light from the sky hitting you in the chest. Then it turns into a rygar type game, side scrolling platformer where you throw your shield or some metal object attached to a short chain as an attack. The further you progress the more upgrades your attack gets.

The setting was kind of jungle at the beginning and castle like levels later on. The music was 80s style rock guitar. As typical for the time period the game was hard as fuck.

Fredrik

I think our buddy Fredrik Fredrik can tell you all about that one. Google search lead me to a post he made on GAF. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Heh yeah The Alien The Alien what do you need to know? My younger self learned all there is to know about sex from C64’s Sex Games 😜

There was a game, sort of, called ”Girls just wanna have fun” which introduced me to how girls masturbate too. In TATE mode, but I had no the idea you could flip the TV on the side so I just strained my neck trying to play it lol
Those were the days…

Last edited:

trikster40

I don’t know if this was just a dream from my childhood or not. Would’ve been late 90’s.

You played as a human, running around a city and you could enter a giant mech to fight other mechs. You could also enter them by getting on top of tall buildings and jumping on.

That’s all I remember.
Was it Robot Alchemical Drive on PS2? Sounds an awful lot like it.

Sorry for being awfully off-topic, but I'm hoping this thread might help me get closure. I'm very fortunate in that I have managed to track down every game from childhood memory, save from one particular *application*. And it's driving me nuts.

This is '90, but software is possibly from '80s. It's a DOS menu software, that my family computer was configured into starting on boot. From there I could choose to boot to Windows 3, or select, I believe, a Games menu where I had my games. The menu application was "full screen", had a distinct blue color. Menu items could be added / changed via file configuration (I do not recall the application having any built-in settings). I remember even myself as a ~7 years old figured out how to add new games to the menu via the configuration file(s).

At the bottom of the screen, I remember there being some text. Very likely this text was the name of the application.

Again, this was really a simple DOS application and as I recall it, no fancy graphics. One option in the menu was to go to the DOS prompt. Which I often did and then typed "nc" to open Norton Commander. However, I do also recall that I could type another command (name of application for sure) to "get back" to the menu.

Googling has led me nowhere.'

Edit: This software came from my father's job, so it was possibly a commercial software of some sort aimed for DOS based businesses.
Dos Shell?

ChflaizW4AEO67h.jpg

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
It's a PSX racing game that has anthropomorphic elephant, lion and other animals (I guess). Can't remember if has vehicles, but I remember them running on foot

35cent

I've got one for ye. It was a game I played on PC in computer class when I was in primary school back between 2000 to about 2002. The aim was to get from one place to another using trains in the first stage, then the London underground in the second stage and then you're walking in fields in the last stage. It had this bird song that on loop in the field bit which got pretty damn annoying and is still etched into my brain after 20 something years. Can't remember what it was called for the life of me only the bird song.

Top Bottom