• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

mcz117chief

I need some help guys. I remember, vividly, reading about a video game on PC with isometric view in a gaming magazine in 2000s. It took place in modern times and it was about some alien invasion or something. I remember the pictures in the magazine were EXTREMELY bloody, I remember one took place in a metro station with huge disgusting monsters with human gore and body parts strewn about everywhere. It looked a bit like Alien Shooter but it was older than that but it was at least as bloody if not more. Any ideas? I have been looking for this game on occasion but never found it, I think it had "extermination" or "extinction" or something in its name.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I need some help guys. I remember, vividly, reading about a video game on PC with isometric view in a gaming magazine in 2000s. It took place in modern times and it was about some alien invasion or something. I remember the pictures in the magazine were EXTREMELY bloody, I remember one took place in a metro station with huge disgusting monsters with human gore and body parts strewn about everywhere. It looked a bit like Alien Shooter but it was older than that but it was at least as bloody if not more. Any ideas? I have been looking for this game on occasion but never found it, I think it had "extermination" or "extinction" or something in its name.
Could it be Incubation?

kenoi

Neo Member
I've been looking for a game for quite a while and haven't found it yet (at least that exact version).

The game I'm looking for is very similar to Tank Wars, but that's not it (or might be a newer version of it that I was unable to find)

I have already found (and contribute to) a thread at DOSGames.com where someone else is looking for the exact same game/update/mod.

I have already checked the following games:
* Tank Wars up to version 3.2 (maybe haven't found the newest version..?)
* Scorched Earth
* Pocket Tanks

General information about the game:
* DOS Game
* Played it on Windows 95, so it existed around 1995
* 2D side view (not top view) tank battle game
* You could only adjust power and angle of your shot (and choose weapons)
* Up to 8 (or 6?) Tanks could play at the same time
* Tanks couldn't move
* After each round, you could buy weapons (small boms, nukes, bees, ...)

As mentioned before, it's very similar to tank wars, except:
* Ground was sand instead of grass
* AI opponents had different names than in the original Tank Wars. I remember Prof. Nuke and Mr. X
* The shortcut on my PC was called TANK, though that might not mean anything

Most significant thing about the game:
* There is always a cloud in the sky
* On most (all?) maps there is a palm tree
* If the tree or the cloud got hit by a tank, they would open their eyes and get angry
* When too angry, the cloud would kill the current player with lightning
* The tree would laugh when the cloud was about to kill a player

I really hope someone here knows the game! Thanks in advance ;)
Nearly 8 years later, I happened to come across your post here, Zoopa -- just after I discovered an old CD where by chance we had backed up my childhood games before our big move (and us leaving the childhood computer behind). I think I have the exact game you've been looking for (as I've been looking for it myself for nearly two decades): version 1.2 of Tank Blaster (which looks quite different to version 2.0).

I've had it uploaded to the Internet Archive, so it doesn't go missing again. If you can, please upload it to other places as well. (I'd upload it here, too, but this forum doesn't seem to support the addition of attachments to posts.)

Great visual description of the game here, by the way! :D I can tell you have vivid memories of it. That's something we share. ^_^

salva

Alrighty, I got one...
I'm a bit sketchy on the details... When I was younger, in the 90s I'd say, there was a game at the arcade I used to play with my brother.
It's was a beat-em up type game. Similar to double dragon, but more 3D.
You could pickup weapons off the ground like knives, pistols and machine guns.
I feel like the first mission was on a aircraft carrier? Could be wrong. From memory during levels, or perhaps between levels there was a quick time event.
For eg, I vaguely remember one QTE was running down a hallway towards and enemy and you both had to push a button at the same time to fly kick someone lol.
Any ideas?

Miles708

Alrighty, I got one...
I'm a bit sketchy on the details... When I was younger, in the 90s I'd say, there was a game at the arcade I used to play with my brother.
I feel like the first mission was on a aircraft carrier? Could be wrong. From memory during levels, or perhaps between levels there was a quick time event.
For eg, I vaguely remember one QTE was running down a hallway towards and enemy and you both had to push a button at the same time to fly kick someone lol.
Any ideas?
Sounds like Die Hard Arcade maybe?

GrayFoxPL

Alrighty, I got one...
Any ideas?
Dynamite Cop aka Dynamite Deka 2.

JimRyanGOAT

This game my brother once bought

You start off as a knight? You use your sword to kill a bunch of enemies then the King calls you and asks you for help....

That's all I remember, the game was from the late '90s to the early 2000s

Swords and I think arrow was a big part of the weaponry

Maybe magic as well... I honestly don't remember

Ive never played Thief, but the game does come across as similiar

But more Medieval and focused on combat

Last edited:

Damigos

I also have a game that is in my head for many years. I played this on Game Boy (i think) and i was in control of a robot and the camera was shifting depending on the stage.
I tried to look it up and i found Contra on the internet but it wasnt it, as i would remember this name

playXray

The game had at least one level where you navigated through rooms set in a cliffside like this. I think you had to kill giant spiders or something like that, and there was a door at the bottom of the level that led onto the next level, but was locked until you completed certain challenges in the level or something like that. In my mind it looked a bit like this:

Game.png

I think it was a PS3 era game, but could be wrong. Pretty sure it wasn't any earlier than that.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I also have a game that is in my head for many years. I played this on Game Boy (i think) and i was in control of a robot and the camera was shifting depending on the stage.
I tried to look it up and i found Contra on the internet but it wasnt it, as i would remember this name
Dunno, Probotector maybe?

LordOfChaos LordOfChaos could be Joe & Mac.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

2D sidescroller where you throw either bones or something else (wood? depending on if you ran out?) at a T-Rex at the end of a level

amigastar

I remember playing a game on the C64 with a white horse flying through levels where you couldn't touch the walls, i think you could shoot out of your hand. It was a sidescroller. Anyone maybe know this game?

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Yeah I think it was! I could have sworn it was flipped the other way though, is this just the video?

Never played the game myself, only remember it because of a VHS tape I had as a kid with a bunch of trailers. But I remember the dino being on the left, yep.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I had a pc game in the late 90s I think. It was a 3d rpg. Pretty good graphics for the time. It wasn't an elder scrolls title. Sadly that's about all I can remember about it. I think about it all the time though so if someone has any guess about what it could be based on that tiny amount of info it'd be awesome.

Droxcy

There was a open world Police game on PS1 I think that had a suburbs map and a bronco style Police car I used to be plays of but I forget the name

Jigsaah

Gold Member
There was this isometric mech game on Sega Genesis. I can't remember a whole lot about it. I played it while visiting my uncle in Tennessee a loooong time ago. I might be able to find it actually. I mean how many isometric mech games were there back then?

mansoor1980

Gold Member
2d side scroller i played in the arcade as a kid , medieval setting with the players controlling barbarian like characters , could get sword/shield , greatsword or claws as weapons , had a nice soundtrack.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
I had a pc game in the late 90s I think. It was a 3d rpg. Pretty good graphics for the time. It wasn't an elder scrolls title. Sadly that's about all I can remember about it. I think about it all the time though so if someone has any guess about what it could be based on that tiny amount of info it'd be awesome.
It's a long shot, but Ultima 9 springs to mind.

Anvil of Dawn, maybe?

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
There was this isometric mech game on Sega Genesis. I can't remember a whole lot about it. I played it while visiting my uncle in Tennessee a loooong time ago. I might be able to find it actually. I mean how many isometric mech games were there back then?

Metal Marines maybe?

metal-marines-virtual-console-20071101034233015.jpg

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Metal Marines maybe?

metal-marines-virtual-console-20071101034233015.jpg
Nope that's not it...I think it was ESWAT. Was there both side scrolling and isometric mech gameplay in that game?

EDIT: Started looking up videos. The closest thing to it was Final Zone. I think that was it but I couldn't tell you. I think my uncle rented it for me from Blockbuster.

Last edited:
Played it on MS Dos I think or windows. You played as a dude with blonde hair if memory serves me right snd rode like a skateboard or something like that from left to right and I think you had a gun and it was a stylized game kind of cartoony. To this day, I can't remember it or find it.

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

Battletech ?

yansolo

there's two games i used to play and i have not been able to find them, they are both diablo-style games from the late 90's early 2000's

one i remember was set maybe in the future, the main character sort of looked like Blade and i just remember walking around throwing fireballs at enemies

the second is fantasy setting, similar to diablo but in this one you could have a party of 3 or 4

Two that I'd love some help with. Both NES.

1. Werewolf with sword hands. Cover was him busting out of a yellow background.

2. Fat russian dude who could breathe fire. I think he had a top knot style hair cut. Didn't wear a shirt. Red pants. I think it starts with a K. Possibly had a cameo in Bad Dudes (hella underrated game)

Last edited:
Top Bottom