• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

NotLiquid

There's this one PC game for the life of me I can't remember. I borrowed it from a friend of mine back when I was a kid and while I can't say it was a good game I did enjoy how kind of.. odd it was. I kind of want to try it again.

The setup was that you were some sort of monster hunter and you explore castles in a level-by-level setup. The game play is really reminiscent of Bomberman, it's a top-down game rendered in 3D and the goal of each level is to kill all enemies. The catch is that enemies can only be killed by certain weapons, so you have to rely on pick ups that kill those enemies (I specifically recalled that the Werewolf could only be killed by using a silver revolver).

The graphics were kind of lame in a 90's way but at the time I did find it kind of eerie. I think I sort of enjoyed the music? I never finished it, friend of mine who I borrowed it from said that the password for the final castle was "Dracula Sucks" supposedly.

-SD-

Banned
What was that Commodore 64 game where you jumped around as a long legged bug?

The game had a large scrolling level that scrolled every which way; not just sideways.

eso76

The game had a large scrolling level that scrolled every which way; not just sideways.

That game in which you could only jump left or right and you pushed left or right on the joystick, and the longer you pushed the longer / higher the jump ?

jaz013

Banned
Ah, no i forgot, but i'll look later today.

As for the other game, doesn't sound like any Sega arcade game i know of.
Unless it's altered beast, but i think you would have remembered different details about that.

Astynax ?
Cadash ?
Rastan ? Nastar/Rastan 2 ?

should be late 80's early 90's, barbarians were only popular for a short period :D

The other game is indeed Rastan, somehow, I related the kind of graphics to a Sega game. Thanks!

As for the "beaver" shoot-them-up, is not Bearstorming, the plane looked a lot like the one in this old goofy cartoon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSpvHnkkuzI

Think you're right Falcon, looked through the titles you mentioned - starting to have doubts that it was on the 64, and seems really unlikely that would have been on the SNES. It's possible it would have been a PC title, but if that was the case it would have been between '98 - early '00 - as I really didn't do any PC gaming before that.

Oh well, I'll snoop around a bit more today.

Force 21, I'm willing to say. Great game.

Varg

Banned
There was this shitty game that I was addicted to when I was little. Think it was on sega cd sega Saturn 3do or ps1. All I remember is that you were some knight and you went around killing these red monsters I think and then when you die there was an incredibly cheesy cutscenes of the king and/or guard mocking and laughing at you in jail in an fmv sequence with real actors. Incredibly corny game but had a blast as a child.

mclem

There was a Spectrum title which was Bugaboo The Flea. Dunno if it had a C64 iteration.

There was this shitty game that I was addicted to when I was little. Think it was on sega cd sega Saturn 3do or ps1. All I remember is that you were some knight and you went around killing these red monsters I think and then when you die there was an incredibly cheesy cutscenes of the king and/or guard mocking and laughing at you in jail in an fmv sequence with real actors. Incredibly corny game but had a blast as a child.

Pretty sure you're talking about The Horde. Tower Defense before Tower Defense was a thing!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
There was an old PC/Amiga game back in the early 90's where you play a barbarian/warrior and you fight mythical creatures. It was a side scroller, and I swear to god that it had the name "____ of the Minotaur", and it's killing me that I cannot figure out what it was.

There was definitely a minotaur on the cover, but no, it's not King's Quest VI (for obvious reasons).

Any help?

eso76

There was an old PC/Amiga game back in the early 90's where you play a barbarian/warrior and you fight mythical creatures. It was a side scroller, and I swear to god that it had the name "____ of the Minotaur", and it's killing me that I cannot figure out what it was.

There was definitely a minotaur on the cover, but no, it's not King's Quest VI (for obvious reasons).

Any help?

sure it's not ___ of the Demon instead ?

amiga-cdtv-wrath-of-the-demon.jpg

Usobuko

Banned
There was this vertical shoot em up games on PC around the mid 90s. It's probably a free game and the final boss was some sort of mother ship. I think the spaceship you control is greenish blue in colour.

FloatOn

It was a racing game (I think) on SNES where you were flying though a corridor. It had all sorts of neon colors and I remember the game making it so that you constantly accelerated.

This must have been a repressed memory because I distinctly remember getting headaches after playing it for too long.

I think that there were also obstacles that would hurt you along the way.

mclem

There was this vertical shoot em up games on PC around the mid 90s. It's probably a free game and the final boss was some sort of mother ship. I think the spaceship you control is greenish blue in colour.

That's not a lot to go on, so the best I can do is reel off a bunch of shareware and freeware vertically-scrolling shmups from the time and you look them up to see if any ring a bell.

Invasion of the Mutant Space Bats of Doom
Return of the Mutant Space Bats
Tyrian
Major Stryker
Highway Hunter

There was this game I had for the Genesis that I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called. It was a side scrolling platformer where you play as two kids??? It had like a Japanese art texture to it and I'm pretty sure it was a bargain bin game because none of my friends had it. I believe some power balls were involved in the plot and you had to collect them. Really cool game that I played frequently but don't know the name.

Usobuko

Banned
That's not a lot to go on, so the best I can do is reel off a bunch of shareware and freeware vertically-scrolling shmups from the time and you look them up to see if any ring a bell.

Major Stryker

Thank you so much, you got it right. That was my first game.

RoadDogg

There was this game I had for the Genesis that I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called. It was a side scrolling platformer where you play as two kids??? It had like a Japanese art texture to it and I'm pretty sure it was a bargain bin game because none of my friends had it. I believe some power balls were involved in the plot and you had to collect them. Really cool game that I played frequently but don't know the name.

That isn't really much to go on, but my guess is Wonder Boy 3: Monster Layer. Though I don't think that came out on the Genesis in the US.

ss_d4e0f068804e4f78a7e8fe3a923147ca20159f64.1920x1080.jpg

Do you remember anything at all about the game play? And when you say 2 kids you mean co-op right? It could even be Gunstar Heroes but I wouldn't think that counts as a bargain bin unheard of game.

There was this one game I played at when I still needed a babysitter. It was either on SNES or Genesis. It was a fighting game, but the only thing I remember was a jump attack that turned one of the characters legs into something like a big bolt of purple lightning. That's the only thing I remember about it though.

So this post got me really interested and I decided to do some self study to figure out what this game was. Turns out it was the 'Chiki Chiki Boys' game and my original post description was not to far off. I loved this game and am now buying a used version to add to my collection.

Varg

Banned
There was a Spectrum title which was Bugaboo The Flea. Dunno if it had a C64 iteration.

Pretty sure you're talking about The Horde. Tower Defense before Tower Defense was a thing!

You know...... The name of this game has been haunting me for years and I just checked YouTube and that's the exact game I'm talking about . Appreciate it! * wipes away a manly tear*

Margalis

Banned
It was a racing game (I think) on SNES where you were flying though a corridor. It had all sorts of neon colors and I remember the game making it so that you constantly accelerated.

This must have been a repressed memory because I distinctly remember getting headaches after playing it for too long.

I think that there were also obstacles that would hurt you along the way.

Hyper Zone?

Spongebob

Banned
There was a shooter/stealth game that I remember playing on the original Playstation. The only thing that I remember about the game was that the first level took place at night along a rode/dirt path that you had to follow.

2D side-scrolling shooter for PC. It was an online/multiplayer based game. Tons of different guns. Oh, it's pretty old too. I think you could change the color of your character? I can't remember much else.

2D side-scrolling shooter for PC. It was an online/multiplayer based game. Tons of different guns. Oh, it's pretty old too. I think you could change the color of your character? I can't remember much else.

Abuse? That's the most likely one, but if it's something older than that, maybe XEvil?

Meelow

Banned
I played this game when I was a kid, it was a PC game and it had this kid that was trying to find a prize in these certain cookies in his living room, and he got sucked up into something I think and he ended up in a jail cell and he met someone that was also in the cell and they got out, it was a adventure puzzle game and it had a cartoony artstyle, it's bothering me so much.

So if anyone knows the name, please tell me lol.

Wazzy

Banned
Hmmm so I vaguely remember this game that I'm pretty sure was for ps2 and you played as (I think?) ninja's that roamed the city and killed enemies. Awful description I know, but it's all I can remember lol.

mclem

I played this game when I was a kid, it was a PC game and it had this kid that was trying to find a prize in these certain cookies in his living room, and he got sucked up into something I think and he ended up in a jail cell and he met someone that was also in the cell and they got out, it was a adventure puzzle game and it had a cartoony artstyle, it's bothering me so much.

What you're describing sounds a little like the demo I played of Orion Burger, but I've not played the whole thing so I don't know it it all fits together like that.

Hilti92

I remember a game a long time ago on the PS1 which had a.. I think a scientist looking guy.. and there was a lot of black in the game I think for the background or floor. No idea really but I am hoping GAF can help me with this. ANYONE? I think it was a battle kind of game.

Hmmm so I vaguely remember this game that I'm pretty sure was for ps2 and you played as (I think?) ninja's that roamed the city and killed enemies. Awful description I know, but it's all I can remember lol.

Tenchu? Shinobi? Nightshade? Onimusha?

Seriously, this could be a bunch of games or series. You can't remember any other details? Male or female character? There's multiple characters that you play as? Or do you mean it's multiplayer? Modern day city? Try to think of something else about the game.

I remember a game a long time ago on the PS1 which had a.. I think a scientist looking guy.. and there was a lot of black in the game I think for the background or floor. No idea really but I am hoping GAF can help me with this. ANYONE? I think it was a battle kind of game.

I'm going to throw out a suggestion for a PS2 game that sort of fits with MDK 2 because one of the playable characters is a scientist and it's fairly dark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wNvpF8fk1o

Really I just want to ask what you mean by a "battle kind of game." Like a fighter? Because that would really cut down on choices? Or a brawler like Fighting Force? Or something else entirely? Try to describe what you actually do in the game or something.

4 games:

Anybody know a PS1 title, you played as some purple demon costume looking character. I remember there was a lot of the 'generic screams' in the game.

A SNES title, in like a western metal slug type game. I remember using a character who was all pink in a pancho.

PS1 Title, I don't remember much on it but it was top-down view shooter. And I remember some guy holding a teddy bear?

N64 Title, I remember playing multiplayer with my cousins. It was like a dark, gothic architecture world. With magic being used to kill things with.

eso76

A SNES title, in like a western metal slug type game. I remember using a character who was all pink in a pancho.

PS1 Title, I don't remember much on it but it was top-down view shooter. And I remember some guy holding a teddy bear?

Sunset riders ? no idea if there was SNES version (checked: yep, it appears there is a SNES version, must be it)

the second has to be Loaded or its sequel

4 games:

Anybody know a PS1 title, you played as some purple demon costume looking character. I remember there was a lot of the 'generic screams' in the game.

N64 Title, I remember playing multiplayer with my cousins. It was like a dark, gothic architecture world. With magic being used to kill things with.

PS1 game is very likely Jersey Devil - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfFVE-ySivI&feature=player_detailpage#t=6s

N64 is probably Hexen? At least it's what comes to mind since you didn't describe if the game is first person or not: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6v3-uqYjF0

Edit: Here's a Hexen clip with multiplayer (and magic stuff): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjZgWXPPAKM

OMG, Yes!! Those are all the games! GAF never fails. :) The memories, sweet childhood memories. Thanks guys.

Now I have some searching to do, to buy these games back into my life.

Wellscha

There was a game I played on my cousin's PC back in the day. it was a weird one, you control a character (who was a barbarian turned noble) in this big map with miniature temple, statue, and other stuff. I remember one part of the game where you go to one of the miniature buildings and you get an event like this "the scouts report back with blah blah"

Wazzy

Banned
Tenchu? Shinobi? Nightshade? Onimusha?

Seriously, this could be a bunch of games or series. You can't remember any other details? Male or female character? There's multiple characters that you play as? Or do you mean it's multiplayer? Modern day city? .

Hmmm I'm pretty sure you played as multiple characters however only one at a time. I'm almost sure they had cyber type armour and it took place in modern setting. When I played most of it was at night, I don't recall any daytime parts but it might just be my terrible memory.

Thanks for the suggestions!

There was a game I played on my cousin's PC back in the day. it was a weird one, you control a character (who was a barbarian turned noble) in this big map with miniature temple, statue, and other stuff. I remember one part of the game where you go to one of the miniature buildings and you get an event like this "the scouts report back with blah blah"

Probably a Heroes of Might & Magic game?

Camjo-Z

I'm certain you're thinking of Pajama Sam 3. Used to play it all the time.

gfs_48231_1_3.jpg

Hmmm I'm pretty sure you played as multiple characters however only one at a time. I'm almost sure they had cyber type armour and it took place in modern setting. When I played most of it was at night, I don't recall any daytime parts but it might just be my terrible memory.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Might think of something else later but I'm going to throw out Seven Samurai 20XX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhz7yAMXmcQ

Only thing that doesn't fit is that you don't change characters but figure it's obscure, has a ninja-esque feeling to it, looks to always be dark, and plenty of cyber/robot stuff.

If something else comes to mind I'll let you know.

DodgerSan

I played this on the Spectrum, might have been on the C64 as well. It was a side scroller where you were a wizard that could transform into a bird (owl?). I think you had to collect components for a spell.

Top Bottom