• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

I have a challenge for you guys. Might be a bit too obscure but if you've ever tinkered with a commodore 64 you might remember this one.

Now this is from when I was like 4 or 5 years old so my memory of it might be hazy. It was a kind of 2D platformer on commodore 64 but it seemed like a each screen were more like a puzzle. As in you had to do some specific thing in order to progress, otherwise you would die. Use the right item for the right situation type of thing. It also looked rather nice for a C64 game, and utilized some pretty sprites. I think it was set in some kind of desert setting, where I guess your object was to infiltrate this big building, a palace perhaps? I just remember this one part where you had to throw a bundle of dynamite from a balcony in order to get rid of an enemy. You possibly acquired said dynamite by shooting an enemy with dynamite in the previous screen. Vague I know, but that's pretty much all I can remember, unfortunately.

I never got further than a couple of screens because of the insane difficulty, and being a snot nosed kid who barely even knew any english words. But I really want to play it again.

eso76

I have a challenge for you guys. Might be a bit too obscure but if you've ever tinkered with a commodore 64 you might remember this one.

Now this is from when I was like 4 or 5 years old so my memory of it might be hazy. It was a kind of 2D platformer on commodore 64 but it seemed like a each screen were more like a puzzle. As in you had to do some specific thing in order to progress, otherwise you would die. Use the right item for the right situation type of thing. It also looked rather nice for a C64 game, and utilized some pretty sprites. I think it was set in some kind of desert setting, where I guess your object was to infiltrate this big building, a palace perhaps? I just remember this one part where you had to throw a bundle of dynamite from a balcony in order to get rid of an enemy. You possibly acquired said dynamite by shooting an enemy with dynamite in the previous screen. Vague I know, but that's pretty much all I can remember, unfortunately.

I never got further than a couple of screens because of the insane difficulty, and being a snot nosed kid who barely even knew any english words. But I really want to play it again.

That makes me think of Zorro, but i'll think of some more

Teppic

Maybe Rick Dangerous?

eso76

Good suggestions but unfortunately it was neither. It could be one of those obscure games that just got traded and never really had any commercial success, this is commodore after all. But if memory serves, it looked really professionally made.

Desert setting and throwing dynamite/tnt somewhere makes me think of Terramex too
you would have remembered the diff characters though

Duffk1ng

Ok, here's one that's bugged me for a while.

- 2D Platformer
- DOS Game probably
- Shareware
- Possibly either 5 worlds or 5 levels per world
- Shareware world had a water theme
- Levels were vertical scrolling rather than horizontal
- Level selection and so on may have involved bubbles as part of the interface
- Blue/Yellow colour theme

That's about all I remember... anyone?

chaosaeon

I've got one. I think I played it on a demo disc.

PS1 looking graphics.
The small bit I played had characters running around freely and fighting in a big grassy arena like an open brawling type fighting game, and you could use magic abilities like shooting fire or ice. Almost like ehrgeiz but with much bigger arenas, and I think the characters might've been somewhat squaresoft looking.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

PS1 looking graphics.
The small bit I played had characters running around freely and fighting in a big grassy arena like an open brawling type fighting game, and you could use magic abilities like shooting fire or ice. Almost like ehrgeiz but with much bigger arenas, and I think the characters might've been somewhat squaresoft looking.

Destrega perhaps?

eizarus

Banned
There was an indie game (I think) someone posted a gif of in a thread here a couple of weeks ago. It looked like retro-futuristic stick figures (almost like something from Tron) 3rd person action game (swords) and it looked brutal. That's all I have to go on unfortunately. Anyone know it?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I have one. It was on my dad's Windows 3.1 work laptop. The game was a side scrolling platformer. The character was a guy made out of shapes (circle for head, no real facial features) and he was playing on levels in space. It was like he was an astronaut and there were obstacles like triangles that were spikes and big rectangles like platforms. It could have had aliens or things to fight.

He could have had a weapon, but I forget. I don't think it was in color either. I'd love to find out what this game was. I did some research and I found nothing. I even thought it may have came with old computers as built in software.

Edit: I even believe the border around the game when it was in windowed mode were small squares side by side of one another.

GrayFoxPL

There was an indie game (I think) someone posted a gif of in a thread here a couple of weeks ago. It looked like retro-futuristic stick figures (almost like something from Tron) 3rd person action game (swords) and it looked brutal. That's all I have to go on unfortunately. Anyone know it?

Brut@l?

mclem

That might possibly be Sceptre of Baghdad or Terramex.

This is maybe a long shot but anyway...

So for already a couple of years I have been trying to find a point & click game (with exploration through environments à la Myst) that I played in my Windows 95 computer. I found it in one of those demo CDs that were popular in that time. I think it was about Santa Claus missing. Anyway, I always reached a point in which you could not advance unless you bough the game. I remember that before that point there was an elevator, kind of going down an abyss (a mine, maybe?). I know it is not a very good description of the game and probably it is impossible to find it (I imagine tons of shovelware at that time)...

But yesterday I remembered in more detail a another game that was in that demo CD. It was a game about defending the Earth from the asteroids/missiles that were coming down from the sky. At the bottom of the screen there were some (famous?) buildings. I recall the Big Ben was one of them, but I could be wrong. You lost when all the buildings were destroyed. At the beginning the amount of asteroids was low but after some time it was kind of impossible to eliminate all of them. You fought against them clicking near them. Kind of like Missile Command. It looked kind of like this:

ISRlNCZ.png

Maybe if I find the name of this one I can trace back the demo CDs in which it was and then find my elusive adventure game.

bbylean

Neo Member
A 2D Side-scroller (I think). It was a PS1 game. I am pretty sure there was some kind of clown/joker on the cover, and a woman.

Cant remember the name at all.

dh4niel

Wondering if you guys can help me with this game. It was a 3D third-person shooter on PS1, the enemies were bug like aliens from what I remember, there were 2 playable characters one was a woman and the other was a guy that looked like Bishop from the X-Men. Kinda played like one of the Contra games on PS1 but I know it's not either of them.

Edit: Just found it. It was Assault: Retribution.

Ok, here's one that's bugged me for a while.

- 2D Platformer
- DOS Game probably
- Shareware
- Possibly either 5 worlds or 5 levels per world
- Shareware world had a water theme
- Levels were vertical scrolling rather than horizontal
- Level selection and so on may have involved bubbles as part of the interface
- Blue/Yellow colour theme

That's about all I remember... anyone?

The only vertically scrolling platformer that comes to mind right now is Captain Dynamo.

This is maybe a long shot but anyway...

So for already a couple of years I have been trying to find a point & click game (with exploration through environments à la Myst) that I played in my Windows 95 computer. I found it in one of those demo CDs that were popular in that time. I think it was about Santa Claus missing. Anyway, I always reached a point in which you could not advance unless you bough the game. I remember that before that point there was an elevator, kind of going down an abyss (a mine, maybe?). I know it is not a very good description of the game and probably it is impossible to find it (I imagine tons of shovelware at that time)...

But yesterday I remembered in more detail a another game that was in that demo CD. It was a game about defending the Earth from the asteroids/missiles that were coming down from the sky. At the bottom of the screen there were some (famous?) buildings. I recall the Big Ben was one of them, but I could be wrong. You lost when all the buildings were destroyed. At the beginning the amount of asteroids was low but after some time it was kind of impossible to eliminate all of them. You fought against them clicking near them. Kind of like Missile Command. It looked kind of like this:

Maybe if I find the name of this one I can trace back the demo CDs in which it was and then find my elusive adventure game.

As far as the Missile Command clone goes, try Warhead (1991), Meteor Storm (1995) and Arcade Pack (Double Oak Software, 1998).

The point & click adventure, were the graphics pre-rendered (like Myst) or hand drawn, cartoony etc? Also it was first person, right? Like Myst? A rough year range would help as well.

As far as the Missile Command clone goes, try Warhead (1991), Meteor Storm (1995) and Arcade Pack (Double Oak Software, 1998).

The point & click adventure, were the graphics pre-rendered (like Myst) or hand drawn, cartoony etc? Also it was first person, right? Like Myst? A rough year range would help as well.

Thanks!!! Yes, indeed it was the Arcade Pack! You are amazing! Nostalgia was blinding me, I remember it much better-looking. But indeed it was this pack. I also remember playing the Lunar Lander clone from it.

For the point & click adventure, it was 1st person, cartoon-like and not at all with realistic graphics like Myst. I was playing it between 2000 and 2001. I was living in a small town in Colombia back then so probably games took some time to arrive there. Funny thing is that I even remember the processor of that computer: an Intel Pentium MMX at 266 MHz lol

chaosaeon

PS1 looking graphics.

Destrega perhaps?

You know, I think that might just be it ! I went to watch a video of it (what on earth are the voices even saying over and over btw ?) and I almost lost it laughing at these PS1 attempted jiggle physics.
https://youtu.be/d_kfZINCnYE?t=443

Thanks!!! Yes, indeed it was the Arcade Pack! You are amazing! Nostalgia was blinding me, I remember it much better-looking. But indeed it was this pack. I also remember playing the Lunar Lander clone from it.

For the point & click adventure, it was 1st person, cartoon-like and not at all with realistic graphics like Myst. I was playing it between 2000 and 2001. I was living in a small town in Colombia back then so probably games took some time to arrive there. Funny thing is that I even remember the processor of that computer: an Intel Pentium MMX at 266 MHz lol

I think I might've found it, Santa's Secret Valley. Actually found someone else asking about it a year ago on reddit, so that helped. ;)

Arizato

Asking this for a friend of mine: She remembers playing some kind of PC game on a demo disc back in the early 2000s. She remembers something about being some kind of werewolf hybrid with some kind of weapon like a sword. She also recalls something about the demo being set in a graveyard. Any ideas?

Asking this for a friend of mine: She remembers playing some kind of PC game on a demo disc back in the early 2000s. She remembers something about being some kind of werewolf hybrid with some kind of weapon like a sword. She also recalls something about the demo being set in a graveyard. Any ideas?

Doesn't exactly fit what you're saying, but I'm assuming it's not Nightmare Creatures?

Fou-Lu

This is really vague but... It was a SNES or PSX sprite-based JRPG where you named each of the party members at the start of the game. I remember thinking one of the characters was a boy and giving them my best friend from school's name and then finding out they were female when I got them in my party.

protonion

This is really vague but... It was a SNES or PSX sprite-based JRPG where you named each of the party members at the start of the game. I remember thinking one of the characters was a boy and giving them my best friend from school's name and then finding out they were female when I got them in my party.

Earthbound?

Kukawaki

Asking for a friend:

PC game, Basic color graphics, 5.25 floppy era, you eat chicken as a health up and the life is bars in the top-left of the screen.

Her description:
"It had the life counted with bars lost when the ”bad guys" touched your character, you could get life back it with chicken that was around the map.
The ”bad guys" were basically balls that bounced in a preset movement that you had to get around, and the objective was something like collecting letters that then got stored at a side of the screen. I vaguely remember a space theme but can be imagining it"

She made a mockup in Photoshop:
szuS7

https://imgur.com/a/szuS7

It's not Sabre Wulf, she just used it as assets.

Any ideas?

hotcyder

I remember playing a shareware game on the mac where it was a sidescroller with a gorilla like character, you collected coloured keys to pass through gates. Genuinely can't remember much else but it's explosive soundtrack.

Came with a Jill of the Jungle style game and Joust with skeletons ostridges

Zolbrod

One of the Saga games, maybe?
Romancing Saga on SNES or Saga Frontier on PSX?

Corbec

Neo Member
Very UK centric one for anyone born in the mid to late 80s.

A 2d pc platform game that came on floppy discs in the Young Telegraph (I think, that or Funday Times), where the main character has spiky red hair and possibly a yellow shirt. May also have had a dog. Was in a cartoon strip in the paper too.

May have been called something like Gizmo or Gadget.

Anyone?

Long shot but is it Mystery of the Nile?

https://youtu.be/1wCAnfrwbfY

Ataxia

Played it when I was younger at a friend’s house. It was on Xbox and we were in a prison. Can’t remember why or how though. I think the aim was to find useful items and try to escape without being seen? Buuut we were young so there could have been more to the game

Really not much to go on. I really enjoyed it from what I remember though. Would take in turns every time one of us would get caught

Played it when I was younger at a friend’s house. It was on Xbox and we were in a prison. Can’t remember why or how though. I think the aim was to find useful items and try to escape without being seen? Buuut we were young so there could have been more to the game

Really not much to go on. I really enjoyed it from what I remember though. Would take in turns every time one of us would get caught

Was it WW2 themed?
Could be The Great Escape.

Very UK centric one for anyone born in the mid to late 80s.

A 2d pc platform game that came on floppy discs in the Young Telegraph (I think, that or Funday Times), where the main character has spiky red hair and possibly a yellow shirt. May also have had a dog. Was in a cartoon strip in the paper too.

May have been called something like Gizmo or Gadget.

Anyone?

Not sure but I found this, is it Gary Fab?http://www.mediakitchen.co.uk/index.php/electronic-young-telegraph
Can't find much on this, character matches but apparently for a quiz game in that issue.

kliklik

Banned
I remember playing a shareware game on the mac where it was a sidescroller with a gorilla like character, you collected coloured keys to pass through gates. Genuinely can't remember much else but it's explosive soundtrack.

Came with a Jill of the Jungle style game and Joust with skeletons ostridges

monkey_ingame.png

Monkey Shines?

Played it when I was younger at a friend's house. It was on Xbox and we were in a prison. Can't remember why or how though. I think the aim was to find useful items and try to escape without being seen? Buuut we were young so there could have been more to the game

Maybe this is too obvious a suggestion, but The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay?

JapeMincers

I'm trying to track down a game I can't remember and I have VERY vague memories of seeing it but I'd love to track it down.

It's from the early 2000s and it was on the PC. It's a 3rd person sci-fi game and very gory. The only footage I can remember of seeing was a character walking down a corridor and there was blood splatters everywhere. The colour scheme was very vibrant and I remember the corridor being yellow and white.

I'm trying to track down a game I can't remember and I have VERY vague memories of seeing it but I'd love to track it down.

It's from the early 2000s and it was on the PC. It's a 3rd person sci-fi game and very gory. The only footage I can remember of seeing was a character walking down a corridor and there was blood splatters everywhere. The colour scheme was very vibrant and I remember the corridor being yellow and white.

There were really a lot of third person games in the early 2000s, hard to figure out just from that description.

I'll just throw these in randomly:
Martian Gothic
Messiah
The Thing
Heavy Metal: F.A.K.K. 2

If not, maybe anything else you can remember? Was the camera controllable (as in a 3rd person shooter) or were there different camera angles (like Resident Evil)? Do you remember any shooting, melee fighting? You mentioned it's sci-fi, do you remember the setting, what kind of sci-fi, what did it look like (apart from the color scheme, which kinda sounds like a maybe more sterile environment, like a lab, hospital or a space station)? I realize you probably don't remember most of these details, but would you say the game was more of an action game, a shooter, or a survival or adventure game? And the goryness and overall tone, did it seem more horror-like or more serious, more cartoony or maybe just more gamey-like (meaning closer to something like Quake 3 or Soldier of Fortune, just "regular" action game gore)? Also maybe something about the style of the characters or environments, did it maybe seem more Japanese or Western developed?

So, I probably won't have enough memories about it to give enough info, but I have to try. I was really young when I saw my brother play it.

So it SHOULD be a game that was on the ps2. I believe it was a survival horror 3rd person shooter. I THINK it took place in a railroad tunnel/railroad system that had been taken over by some sort of zombie infection. (Might have been on another planet. I don't know.) I remember the tunnels being full of this red goop build-up similar to the resident evil goop.

I can't recall too much else...

GrayFoxPL

So, I probably won't have enough memories about it to give enough info, but I have to try. I was really young when I saw my brother play it.

So it SHOULD be a game that was on the ps2. I believe it was a survival horror 3rd person shooter. I THINK it took place in a railroad tunnel/railroad system that had been taken over by some sort of zombie infection. (Might have been on another planet. I don't know.) I remember the tunnels being full of this red goop build-up similar to the resident evil goop.

Extermination maybe?

Also these might not fit at all but:

Galerians: Ash

Nanobreaker

Flying Fish

Neo Member
The game was a Myst-clone on the PC from the 90s. Movement involved navigating around still images, like Myst.

I think there was a fast-travel system with a map. One character says the phrase "I'm dying". Maybe the game was timed? There was a puzzle involving a pipe organ or a harpsichord or something, and I think playing the right tune caused a wall to shift aside.

That's all I can remember, I'm afraid.

Could be Run Like Hell.

I know this isn't much to work with, but...I have this weird memory of an Amiga game. Sidescrolling with vehicles, and I have an image of there being a bridge. Super obscure, I know.

Also, separate game, but there was also an Amiga racing game where you could drive big trucks (no trailers) and you'd get the view of the back of them. Any ideas?

Top Bottom