• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you're pretty sure only you have played

2215407-darkside.jpg
retfire2.jpg

Both games are from 1998 and on PC.

Dark Side of the Moon is a full motion video adventure game. I remember playing it back in the day closer to when it came out. Game came on 6 CD's lol

Return Fire 2 is a military styled vehicle only CTF game

Wow, there was a second Return Fire. Loved the first one.

Gero

Fate, an action rpg for PC. I spent hours and hours on that game but I don't know anyone who played it.

Archtreyz

Hunted: Demon's Forge is a co-op loot-based 3rd person shooter published by Bethesda. It wasn't amazing, but playing with a friend was fun.

Lijik

Crazy Drake, a pretty blatant ms-dos clone of Earthworm Jim
cdrake_1.png

never seen anyone else talk about it. found it like ten years ago by just looking a list of pc games (maybe on gamefaqs?) and just picking titles at random. its pretty bad so im not surprised its obscure lmao

Giga Man

I don't think Glover's all that obscure. I see it from time to time, including on GAF. I have it myself and hate it. lol

Which Yo-Kai Watch is this?

---

I choose Rave Master for GameCube.

latest

This is a very very bad Power Stone clone that doesn't even have grabs! I used to love it and played it to death because it was so unique to me. A new take on "Smash Bros."-type of play... Until I later found out that Power Stone exists. When I saw Power Stone 2, I damned Rave Master GCN to hell and asked my dad to order me Power Stone 2.

At least Rave Master GCN had a neat little story maker mode. I found some pleasure in that.

Oh, and as far as I was aware, you couldn't find this game in stores. You had to order it online. I think we got it from Amazon.

Jacqli

The first Dreamcast game I ever got.

[IMG*]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8b/Trickstyle.jpg[/IMG]
Are you me? I also played this game because it was my first one for the console.

My title: Nancy the happy whore and the perfidious petrol station
A little adventure graphic game from the creators of Technobabylon.
Nancy4.png

Menome

I arrived at the PC market just a tad late to have played Dune II, but it was the first RTS I ever heard of by way of schoolyard chatter. It's possible that hearing friends talk about the game was my first exposure to Dune and its principal elements—the Atreides, the Harkonnens, the spice—before I knew any of that came from a major science fiction novel or a film.

Anyway, here's something I'm quite confident nobody will name (and which I had trouble hunting down from my faint memory of it myself):

trek.png

This is Trek, an unlicensed Star Trek game on Apple Macintosh System 6, and the standout title from the Mac shareware/freeware floppies I used to comb through in the early 1990s via the public library. A grid-based starship simulator, I honestly remember it to be the best Trek game I've played, though I haven't touched it in over twenty years and would need to assess it again with fresh eyes to know how well it holds up.

There are a ton of Mac obscurities from that era that outclassed their contemporaries on MS-DOS in control and interface design (but fell behind in support for colour), products of a healthy shareware community (an ancestor of sorts to today's indie market) that was necessarily restricted by the platform it was on, especially with Apple entering a period of serious trouble which established the reputation that Macs still have today as computers not known for serious games. I'm still trying to retrace my way to a space 4X from that era as well as some HyperCard puzzle adventures.

Holy crap, I remember playing this just once maybe 25-odd years ago when I was a kid. It was on my stepdad's friend's computer and all efforts to find it again were fruitless because I never realised it was a Star Trek game until this moment.

Bahorel

it's so weird looking back and seeing the games that captivated you as a child have such simplistic art

this thread as my synapses going nuts, I'm suddenly remembering so much stuff
Lenny's Music Toons

1372693986051.jpg

98440-lenny-s-music-toons-windows-3-x-screenshot-you-can-see-times.jpg

Forever Growing Garden

818cN2ZRzYL._SX522_.jpg

6563_574c4abc8d491.png

Busy Town
fb377693860e894a03b718bd1b9fe114.jpg

7530289_orig.png

3126725_orig.jpg

Crazy Drake, a pretty blatant ms-dos clone of Earthworm Jim
cdrake_1.png

never seen anyone else talk about it. found it like ten years ago by just looking a list of pc games (maybe on gamefaqs?) and just picking titles at random. its pretty bad so im not surprised its obscure lmao

HOLY SHIT came here to post this

Game was pretty fun at the time. Not too bad

Godcannon

If you played the 80s version you're probably a little older than me (I turn 30 soon for reference) but did you ever play Treasure Mountain

Holy shit I played this in like 3rd grade, and the other one.....and it was dope lol. I'm the same age. I think some people had access and played these simply because of school.

I gotta go with Armageddon Riders for PS3, Curses N Chaos for Ps4, and Ninja Senki DX for Ps4.

If not those, then Mortimer and the riddles of the medallion.
OSNM5845OSOSNM5845OS.jpg

Edit: welp, I'm out.... I'm pretty sure someone if not a lot of people have played Jill of the Jungle, especially on GAF.

OUMtsyD.jpg

Nightmare Ned. It was a PC game made by Disney that was a cross between a survival horror game and a puzzle platformer, sort of like Heart of Darkness. It lead to an even more obscure cartoon adaption that was cancelled just as it started. It doesn't run on modern OSes so I haven't played it in years.

It's a real shame too because the atmosphere and soundtrack were fantastic. The atmosphere straddled the line of being kid-friendly but still actually being unafraid to be unsettling and its really creative too. I know I'm not the only one who's played it but its still probably one of the most criminally underrated horror games ever made. It's what got me into the genre as a kid.

Here's some of the soundtrack.

If not those, then Mortimer and the riddles of the medallion.
You're not alone there, pal.

T.A.L

Iggy's Recking Ballz on N64. Don't even know what the genre is. You just race vertically against other ballz .

I arrived at the PC market just a tad late to have played Dune II, but it was the first RTS I ever heard of by way of schoolyard chatter. It's possible that hearing friends talk about the game was my first exposure to Dune and its principal elements—the Atreides, the Harkonnens, the spice—before I knew any of that came from a major science fiction novel or a film.

Anyway, here's something I'm quite confident nobody will name (and which I had trouble hunting down from my faint memory of it myself):

trek.png

This is Trek, an unlicensed Star Trek game on Apple Macintosh System 6, and the standout title from the Mac shareware/freeware floppies I used to comb through in the early 1990s via the public library. A grid-based starship simulator, I honestly remember it to be the best Trek game I've played, though I haven't touched it in over twenty years and would need to assess it again with fresh eyes to know how well it holds up.

There are a ton of Mac obscurities from that era that outclassed their contemporaries on MS-DOS in control and interface design (but fell behind in support for colour), products of a healthy shareware community (an ancestor of sorts to today's indie market) that was necessarily restricted by the platform it was on, especially with Apple entering a period of serious trouble which established the reputation that Macs still have today as computers not known for serious games. I'm still trying to retrace my way to a space 4X from that era as well as some HyperCard puzzle adventures.

Probably related, I played a lot of EGATREK.EXE which was on the servers at the college my parents were attending.

ega-trek_2.gif

Off the top of my head, a weirder one I played a lot of:

36937-Future_Cop_L.A.P.D._[NTSC-U]-1.jpg

I also wanna say the DOS game Barbarian, but it was on a bunch of systems and had a sequel, so, probably not that uncommon.

MTC100

Banned
I guess I win this one, this game is so rare that you won't even find images, let alone a box art about it in the google image search:

finalimpacttdubw.png

Also, who of you remembers Nintendos first(and I think only) space shooter?

Solar_Striker_Cover.jpg

KDR_11k

Rarely seen:

latest

(That's Chou Soujuu Mecha MG or Super Control Robot MG)

Spiritual successor to Robot Alchemic Drive.

chousouju-mecha-mg-20060912103355453-1667634.jpg
t6l5n.jpg
chosoju_mecha_mg_nintendo_ds_008.jpg

Note how the bottom screen's controls change with every mech. There are dozens of mechs in the game and each has its own control panel and idiosyncrasies. Also because it's Sandlot you can pick up buildings and use them as clubs. And the framerate often goes to hell.

Never seen anyone else talk about it:
stratosphere.jpg

(PC)
29252-stratosphere-conquest-of-the-skies-windows-screenshot-and-take.jpg

All those block-based vehicle building games coming out lately? This is a hex based one where you build a (literal) flying fortress and it came out in the 90s.

retroman

There's a series of Commodore 64 games I'm 99.9999% sure nobody on GAF has ever played:

cassette_6403_01.jpg

Courbois Software, a Dutch developer, released various compilations of their own games, all packaged in a very simplistic manner like the example above. The games were very primitive as well, but I still had some fun with them. I have about four of those tapes at my parents' place.

KDR_11k

trek.png

Trek is an ancient classic game AFAIK. This version dates back to 1971, when "microcomputer" was a term that mattered.

Red Devil

also I haven't talked to anyone that played Follow the Reader, which was a DOS game where you told Mickey what to do with his day

I remember an educational Disney game starring Mickey with graphics like this, but it was all about numbers. I can't remember the name but it isn't very obscure though.

venom473

Hype_the_Time_Quest.JPG

I feel like this could have been somewhat popular back when it was released, but I never see it mentioned anywhere. It was probably my favourite game in my childhood, wish I could play it again.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Before Scott Pilgrim, I thought I just imagined "Clash At DemonHead" I've never heard that game come up even once outside of that movie.

3-D WorldRunner on NES

3D_World_Runner_-_1987_-_Acclaim_Entertainment.jpg

Some 3D Mario-esq fake ass Space Harrier that was hard as hell.

Also Hide and Seek on Atari 2600

Buck Rogers on cassette tape game for my Adam Computer

Executive Suite
maxresdefault.jpg

An old ass text based game where you climb the corporate ladder. I used to download a ton of aboadonware games as a kid, so this is a thread for me.

Top Bottom