• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you've beaten in March

xrnzaaas

I thought it would be a good idea to resurrect this old GAF thread. No complex rules. Simply post what you've finished last month. It can be your first or repeated playthrough. You can add the score and/or a short comment/review if you want to. :)

Mine would be:
Anthem - 4/10 - I don't usually play loot shooters (except for Borderlands), but I still found if very disappointing. I didn't care about the lore, the characters, and the story, many questionable decisions (like wasting time walking around Fort Tarsis and having meaningless conversation with NPC's), plus it was buggy and with enormous performance problems after one of the patches.
Call of Cthulhu - 7/10 - The Lovecraftian bits were awesome. The potentially incredible experience was sadly dragged down by weak graphics (especially facial animations) and some poor gameplay elements here and there (shooting mechanics were probably the worst).
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - 8/10 - I haven't unlocked all the endings yet, but technically I've beaten it once. ;) I usually don't play Soulsborne games, but I enjoyed this one because of the added stealth. Very demanding, but also very satisfying. The camera is by far the worst thing in this game. It often goes crazy or suddenly unlocks itself from the enemy and I died more than once because of it. Also I don't like how the dev reused some bosses later in the campaign, for me it felt a lazy move even though some of the repeated fights are a bit different.

Kupfer

Call of Duty MW Remastered
It was a nice trip back to the past, when neverending schooldays were my biggest complaint. I even platinumed it.

Tearaway
Started it back in 2015, sold it while being half way through the game and bought it again to finish it in 2019. It's my favorite platformer since super Mario 64. Such a unique look and a great experience.

Hotline Miami
After Tearaway I needed something new for the Vita so I bought Hotline Miami 1&2. Finished the first one yesterday. I finished it years ago on PC as well and it's still one of my favorite soundtracks. I'm really looking forward for the second game, since I haven't played that a lot and can't remember anything.

Resident Evil 2 Remake
This was my first "true" Resident Evil game. I played a lot ( and I mean A LOT ) of RE5 on the 360 via system link with my buddy back in 2009 I think. That was also my first Resident Evil and in my opinion the best one, because we had such a great time with speedrunning, completing and S-ranking it. After that I played RE7 which was a great experience, too. But with this remake I had a new, third experience with the franchise and I loved it. I'm not into completing it, maybe I'll do a second playthrough, but the first one, not knowing anything, was awesome.

Uncharted : Drake's Fortune
I got the Uncharted collection for cheap and the first game was the only one missing for me. I really liked every other uncharted game, including the Vita one.
It was quite nice playing this one at last so I got more than just the pure game out of it. I had some flashbacks to the later games and it was cool to see all the characters on their first "episode". It was also fun to see the root of the franchise and how betaversion-like the game is. I don't know, if I would have liked it when I played it at it's release, but nowadays I had a good time.

I think that's it for March .. :)

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Dead or Alive 6 - It felt like it had been a long time since DOA5LR came out so I was glad to be back playing this series. The graphics were better than I expected and I think it has the most realistic graphics in a fighter this gen. The gameplay is really fun too and my main character is Nyotengu, followed by Ryu. I'm rank C- online. I just wish it was as easy to unlock the costumes in this one as it was in previous games instead of having to grind for costume parts and coins.

Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition: Episode Ardyn DLC - This was really well done and and I felt it was a great way to end the game (as far as things being in development). Ardyn was more fun to play as than I expected and the story included some parts that I wasn't expecting. Great music too.

Other than my billionth playthrough of both Super Mario Land games, the only game I've finished was Devil May Cry 5. Just an amazing game.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Double Dragon
System: Nintendo Switch
Completion: 8/3/19
Duration: 1h
Rating: 🕹🕹🕹
Comments: Hadn’t really had a proper session with this since I was a kid. After 10 minutes, it was like riding a bike. Simplistic. Short. ******* awesome.

Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA)
Completion: 12/3/19
Duration: 4h
Rating: 🕹🕹
Comments: Like the red-headed stepchild of the Super Mario series. An anomaly. An enigma. Great music, but not enough of it. Can be very challenging. Not a REAL Super Mario game. Fun nonetheless.

Kid Icarus
Completion: 15/3/19
Rating: 🕹🕹🕹🕹
Comments: Amazing game. A lot of people nowadays find it antiquated, but when you factor in the time that this released (1986), it truly was a great game. An epic adventure. Challenging, but fair.

Ninja Gaiden
Completion: 16/3/19
Comments: When you hear stories about hardcore old-school games, they are talking about Ninja Gaiden. A torture-fest concocted by the mind of a psychopath. Devious. Devilish. Evil. Cool as beans too.

TwinBee (NES)
Completion: 16/3/19
Duration: 1h
Rating: 🕹
Comments: Seems like the easiest SHMUP ever and then Stage 5 comes along and rips you a new one. Weird concept, picture flying knives and forks. An oddity. Not a great game, but interesting.

Contra (NES)
System: Nintendo Classic Mini
Completion: 18/3/19
Duration: 42m
Rating: 🕹🕹🕹🕹🕹
Comments: A true classic. Immediately fun and engaging. Challenging, but fair. Extremely catchy music. Awesome, snappy controls. The “spread” gun. Play it.

Batman (NES)
Completion: 20/3/19
Duration: 1h 23m
Comments: A very good and somewhat underappreciated NES game. Insanely difficult to the point of unfair at times. Especially the later levels. The final boss fight was ridiculously hard. Squarely fits in the hardcore retro game box. Fun, but not for the faint of heart.

Super C (NES)
Completion: 20/3/19
Duration: 54m
Comments: Short and nowhere near as challenging as Contra. Konami tried to mix it up a bit with the weaponry, but the game is over way too quickly. The music is largely forgettable. A redeeming feature is some of the graphic design work, especially the final level. Great looking backgrounds.

Rollergames (NES)
Completion: 21/3/19
Duration: 41m
Comments: I have a soft spot in my heart for this game. My cousin owned it when we were kids and we played it religiously. Never did beat it until now. The last stage is crazy levels of unfair. The music is great for the NES and yet not talked about much. The game is fun, but not for everyone. I like it. I procrastinated over whether to give it 2 or 3 out of 5. My heart says 3, but my logic says it is a 2 game. So, there it is.

Shadowgate (NES)
Completion: 22/3/19
Duration: 1h 10m
Comments: I somehow missed out on playing Shadowgate during my childhood. Therefore, it’s a bit hard to judge what it’s impact would have been like. I’d assume, in the age before the internet and FAQs, this would’ve seemed like a grand adventure. I certainly enjoyed it. A dungeon crawler solely focused on exploration and narrative with virtually no combat. Probably doesn’t receive the accolades nowadays that it deserves.

DuckTales (NES)
Completion: 24/3/19
Duration: 45m
Comments: As a child, this game was godly. The music, the sounds, the pogo stick. Back then I would have rated it a 5 out of 5. As it stands today, the music is still as great as ever, as is the pogo stick. The levels are pretty amazing for a NES platformer in that they are non-linear. But, in the end, the game is very easy on “normal” difficulty, therefore I gave it a 4 out of 5. I almost gave it a 3, but come on, this is DuckTales! Everyone should play this game at least once.

DuckTales 2 (NES)
Completion: 25/3/19
Duration: 1h 18m
Comments: Though DuckTales was a childhood favourite of mine, I had no idea a NES sequel existed until I was well into adulthood. Coming out very late in the NES lifecycle, it is a somewhat rare and obscure game. Capcom added a few extra gameplay mechanics involving Scrooge’s iconic pogo stick. This makes the gameplay a bit deeper than the first game. Similar non-linear levels. A touch more challenging. Overall, a very enjoyable platformer. One negative to note is the music. Soundtrack is something the first game is famous for and unfortunately the sequel is utterly forgettable in this regard. A quick internet search confirmed my suspicion that different composers were at the helm of this game. Anyway, if you liked the first DuckTales, you will definitely enjoy the sequel.

Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES)
System: SNES Classic Mini
Completion: 25/3/19
Duration: 1h 3m
Comments: I never did get to play this much in my youth. This is my first time beating it. It’s classic Contra but harder than the NES games. Very, very pretty graphics. Great sprite work and backgrounds. Awesome soundtrack too.

Picross S2
Completion: 27/3/19
Duration: 80h
Comment: Picross is the perfect pick up and play game for me. Great for a short or a long session. Challenging and rewarding. I’d almost give it 5 out of 5 if it had more modes. Still, it is good value for money.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
Resident Evil 2 Remake: Pretty good game, really suspenseful at times and some very detailed areas. I think the mix between horror and action was handled really well. Also, that fight with G stage 3 is really epic.

Uncharted 4: Turned out to be my second favorite Uncharted game. My main issue was with the combat sections, I thought they all felt really tedious. But the climbing, adventure, some of the action sequences, the story, are all really good.

I would give RE 2 an 8/10 and Uncharted 4 maybe an 8-8.5/10.

78skidoo

Neo Member
Got 3 months before I start my new job (I love gardening leave!) so:

Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami 1
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Walking Dead: Final Season
Metro Exodus
Far Cry: New Dawn
Trials: Rising (as much as I wanted to do anyway, level 50 something)
Resident Evil 2

Games Abandoned: Strange Brigade, Ashen, Anthem, Borderlands 2 (got the configuartion error on my pc, none of the fixes I found worked so abandoned before I started), Vive (pc won't play nicely with POS Vive hardware so looks like I have to deal with HTC's legendary customer service)

Games to play: DMC5, Yakuza 3, 4 & 5 if my PS3 still works, Yakuza 6 and a crap tonne of PSVR games I bought in preperation (approx 30 or so)

Cato

Banned
Got 3 months before I start my new job (I love gardening leave!) so:

Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami 1
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Walking Dead: Final Season
Metro Exodus
Far Cry: New Dawn
Trials: Rising (as much as I wanted to do anyway, level 50 something)
Resident Evil 2

Games Abandoned: Strange Brigade, Ashen, Anthem, Borderlands 2 (got the configuartion error on my pc, none of the fixes I found worked so abandoned before I started), Vive (pc won't play nicely with POS Vive hardware so looks like I have to deal with HTC's legendary customer service)

Games to play: DMC5, Yakuza 3, 4 & 5 if my PS3 still works, Yakuza 6 and a crap tonne of PSVR games I bought in preperation (approx 30 or so)

No offence mate, but 8 big games in 4 weeks.
That is three days per game.
Did you enjoy them?

78skidoo

Neo Member
No offence mate, but 8 big games in 4 weeks.
That is three days per game.
Did you enjoy them?
Yep, Yakuza is my favourite series of all time so they were replays (4th for Zero, 2nd for 1 & 2 and had completed them before the Kiwami versions too), so you can knock some time down on each of them as I had a good idea what I was doing. About 2 weeks for those three.

Had a cold one week so stayed in bed and completed Walking Dead in a day, RE2 in 2 days (only completed Chris) and about 3 days for Exodus.

Last week was mainly New Dawn with Trials spread out over the month with an hour here and there.

Haven't had time to play games much recently so decided the 1st month would be mainly walking the dog, playing games and going out. Worked out nicely.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Tales of Vesperia, DMC5 and Sekiro.

Such awesome games, well worth their money.

Last edited:

Fbh

Modern Warfare Remaster (campaign) 8/10.
It was fun going back to this and for the most part it holds up really well. Fantastic remaster too, with all the visual improvement it kinda feels more like a remake than a simple remaster.

Superhot 7/10
The concept is great and overall it was fun to go through. It was rather short though and only like a third of the levels actually felt challenging.

Mario Rabbids Donkey Kong Adventure 8/10
The 2 new characters are fun to use and DK in particular has a bunch of unique mechanics which makes this feel different enough from the main game that it ends up being more than just "more of the same". The humor was also better IMO. As something most people will play after the core game it felt lacking in challenge and it still retains some of the issues I had with the core experience.

Sekiro 9.5/10
Fantastic, retaining a lot of the elements I've come to expect and love in FROM games while introducing great new ideas and mechanics which really makes this feel like its own thing. Amazing combat, level design, art direction and bosses.
I know it's only April but from the games we know about so far I'd be extremely surprised if anything comes even close to surpassing it (at least for me)

Last edited:

Saber

Kindom Hearts Final Mix 9/10

The hitbox maybe bad and the camera/target system shallow, but the game is surprising good to play and to watch. No cheesy dialogue or weird stupid moments like in 2. Dialogues felt way more consistent, as do bosses.

This game is ages ahead of KH2, no wonder people liked it more. My experience with 2 was terrible, with its endless and stupid "spam reaction command to win".

bobone

Far Cry 5.
Fun as hell playing through the whole thing with a friend in co-op. Bad design decision to make the progress only count for the host player tho.

Not sure why Ubisoft gets so much hate here. They make specific games for specific people; and we had a blast the entire time. Going to try the DLC this month when we both have time.

Top Bottom