• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you've given up on

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Wut, I thought it was quite easy compared to some other sections of the game

I played it on normal and wanted to smash my controller. It's not all that bad but it felt really trial and error-ish

Zambayoshi

I gave up on I Am Alive. I made it about 2/3 of the way through but it was just getting too stressful, dark and depressing. I like to have a bit of hope in that kind of game. The Last of Us really delivered on that score.

Pezus

I played it on normal and wanted to smash my controller. It's not all that bad but it felt really trial and error-ish

I didn't die once on hard. When I was small Knack I just ran diagonally towards him to avoid the green beams, no need to even dodge!

Moskibear

Killer is Dead, the story reached a new level of stupid for me (emphasis on for me, good on you if you liked it but from me: f* that shit)

Pezus

I have given up on a lot of games in my time but a few notable ones I remember are Demon's Souls (really enjoyed it but just couldn't put the time into it), Bioshock (it felt too long - I watched the final levels on YT) and Shadow of Mordor (I do see myself getting back into it eventually though)

fester

Banned
Gave up on the DC version of Phantasy Star Online last night. Had been sitting on my shelf for a very, very long time. Thought I'd give it a whirl. Played about 30 mins, got my human ranger guy to level 2, then was killed.

Shit controls (3+ seconds of attempting to run before it finally kicks in)
Shit combat (why yes, I want to spam the "A" button 20 times before this level 1 mob dies!)

I wanted my time back, but since that wasn't an option, I threw the disc across the room, watched it shatter, then took the fragments and ground them into a fine dust.

I also have the GC version, but not sure it offers anything different beside the ability to play splitscreen with others.

Fasty

There are probably lots of games I've abandoned, but these are games that I specifically tried HARD to enjoy due to their praise. Games I put down and picked up over and over again thinking "maybe this time it will click".

The Witcher 2: Made the mistake of playing it post Dragon's Dogma. Couldn't slog through the combat.

Bayonetta: Too hardcore for me

Persona 4 Golden: Couldn't see the appeal of this game at all. Wading through pages of text and making inconsequential dialogue choices (you can usually just go back and choose and different response with no effect on the game). Put 40hrs into it before throwing in the towel.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow: God of War wannabe that was like it actively wanted me to hate it. Boss fights I had to repeat 10 times to get the unresponsive quicktime events right, camera angles that caused me to continually get lost... Even the combat itself wasn't very fun

doemaaan

Out of frustration or lack of patience?

Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen
Valkyria Chronicles
Jak 2 HD (which means no Jak 3 for me)

Off the top of my head. The reason for most of the other games I haven't finished are because I haven't picked them up again.

doemaaan

Far Cry 4: I tried but after beating Far Cry 3, I wasn't ready to do the same stuff over again.

Lords of the Fallen: Just couldn't get into it

Lmao. I'm actually playing FC4 right now. When my cousin first bought the game, I strolled on over to his house to check it out. Got my hands on it for about 5 minutes and said the same exact shit. It felt like FC3.5. So far (about 3-4 hours in), I haven't seen any major changes in how you play. Mountainous landscape is kinda cool though.

So tired of Ubisoft and some of their franchises. I care less and less about their games as time goes on. Stopped at AC3, FC4 is decent(?) so far, Watch Dogs doesn't look special. Would like to give Rayman Origins a try though.

And where the hell is my Beyond Good and Evil 2 (obligatory)?

LGom09

Really trying to clear out that backlog, so I'm not hesitant to drop a game that isn't really grabbing me. So far this year:
Alpha Protocol
Costume Quest
Torchlight
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
FTL: Faster Than Light
The Last Remnant
Metro 2033
Saint's Row The Third
Killzone 2
3D Dot Game Heroes
Psychonauts
Spec Ops: The Line

Bionic Commando 09. Really enjoyed it but just got too hard for me near the end. Fight Night Champion. Fun but "final boss" in campaign mode had my number, even on easy. YouTubed final cutscenes for both.

Loving Arkham Oranges on 360. Played some Asylum and City on PC. Don't think I'll finish those; it seems that Oranges will give me my Batman fix.

jimflox

Neo Member
I used to have a rule, that if I bought it and started it, I was going to finish it. I decided a few years ago to drop that rule, and move on if a game was annoying me, or boring me.

Mirror's Edge - Just wasn't much fun to me
Tom Clancy's Endwar - I really loved RTS games back in the day, mainly on PC, but Endwar just stunk up the joint
Metal Gear Solid 3 - Tried to go back with the intent to play this and Peace Walker right before the release of Ground Zeroes, but the controls are so amazingly god-awful compared to most/all games this day and age, I abandoned it.
Just Cause 2 - Played it a few years after it released... lot of variety/creativity, but I didn't care about the story enough to enjoy the toybox/sandbox
Starhawk - terrible
Crysis 2 - Bored me to tears
Catherine - I just wasn't feeling the puzzles, despite really liking the premise of the game, and wanting to see the story through
L.A. Noire - Game was interesting in spots, but the whole interrogation thing just seemed like so much random guesswork, I bailed on it
Red Faction Guerrilla - Had some interesting mechanics, but the gameplay wasn't enough to keep me playing through the boring story
Brutal Legend - Got stuck/annoyed at some RTS-wannabe stuff early on, and decided "eff it"

Order

Prince of Persia 08- I just couldn't get over the fact that it was a platformer where you couldn't die

FXIII- meh, the story didn't hook me

Moskibear

Was it
space Colonel Sanders
that made you quit?

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought that lol. Just the story in general:
constantly all the foreshadowing with the moon and whatnot, everything came back to the moon.

I have this feeling once I finish the game I will still not be much wiser. The gameplay isn't particularly exciting either. gameplay wise it feels like there were a few ideas and none of them were executed to the fullest extent.

The reasons why I quit playing the game may seem irrational but I just felt the story just went "out there" for the sake of being "out there". Strangely I did not have this issue with Deadly Premonition, although I can see why people would give up on that as well. I think I realised why I never really bought a Suda51 game before (even though if it ever gets a pc release, I probably see myself playing Lollipop Chainsaw anyhow)

Another game I stopped playing/ gave up on was Divinity Original Sin, not because it is a bad game, but I had taken a long break with it and coming back into it is pretty overwhelming, I may actually just start over at some point.

Choomp

Banned
Hotline Miami 2 is asking for it right now, two times in a row I get to the top floor of scene 12 and the game proceeds to crash both times, it's also pretty hard and is most likely going to get harder along the way. I won't give up on it though I really want to finish it.

Respect

Getting close on lords of the fallen, just picked it up the other day, but it really isn't grabbing me...just feels off.

ctfg23

Assassin's Creed 3. It's probably one of the most boring games I've ever played. I've tried to go back to it at least 3-4 times and can't do it.

sora87

Assassin's Creed 3 is one of the few games I just straight up sold in recent times, absolute rubbish. Final Fantasy XIII-2 was an insult and I felt like burning the disc, thankfully it was just a rental.
I quit the first Kingdom Hearts last month, I did it when I played it back on PS2 years ago but now... I just could not be fucking arsed with that final boss rush. Piss take.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
FTL

I've put so many hours into it, and never beat the mothership. I still enjoyed it alot, just resigned myself to never ever beating it.

The Witcher 2

Combat is just bad. Never clicked with me.

DIshonored

I tapped out like 2 hours in.

Dragon Age: Inquisition

I'm done with Bioware for good. Reviews made me think this was a return to form, when what I got was atrocious writing and MMO tier combat. What a bland and dull game.

TW101

I really wanted to like this, but I never quite grasped the controls and just moved on to other things.

Metroid Prime

Same as above. I hated the controls so much.

Castlevania LOS

Amazing soundtrack. Incredibly generic and derivative gameplay.

DmC

Just no. I regret giving them money for this. Completely out of place in the series.

AmyS

Zelda Skyward Sword is the one that comes to mind. It was just not fun to play like Twilight Princess was. Wii M+ controls were completely frustrating.

Recently gave up on the new dragon age. I don't see myself buying into these massive filler content open world games anymore, I just don't have the time to invest in the all the shit the game allows you to do -__-"

Nosgotham

Gave up on the DC version of Phantasy Star Online last night. Had been sitting on my shelf for a very, very long time. Thought I'd give it a whirl. Played about 30 mins, got my human ranger guy to level 2, then was killed.

Shit controls (3+ seconds of attempting to run before it finally kicks in)
Shit combat (why yes, I want to spam the "A" button 20 times before this level 1 mob dies!)

I wanted my time back, but since that wasn't an option, I threw the disc across the room, watched it shatter, then took the fragments and ground them into a fine dust.

I also have the GC version, but not sure it offers anything different beside the ability to play splitscreen with others.
GC is pretty much the same but I love the way it plays. I suggest giving it to level ten or so and learn the rhythm. It is more enjoyable with others too

Nizz

Just remembered a couple more games I gave up on. Resident Evil remake is one. I remember playing a little bit of it on my nephew's Gamecube and once it was available on the new consoles I was excited to hop back in. The game unfortunately is not grabbing me right now. I'm playing on easy yet I'm still having a somewhat difficult time with it. I'm waiting for that new PS4 update where you can remap buttons on the Dualshock so I can use L2 to aim and R2 to shoot. As it is right now using L2 to aim but then using square to shoot is throwing me off. It's muscle memory ingrained into me where I just can't deal with the current controls. Some others....

Outlast- I was pretty excited to play this game but I got to one section in a basement where I just hit a brick wall. I had to stealth my way through but I would get caught and had to run for my life and I was having a terrible time managing my batteries for the flashlight. I wasn't too crazy about the controller layout also.

COD: Advanced Warfare- For the first time in a long while I was excited again for a COD game. With the new exo suit abilities I figured it was a fresh take on a (for me) formula that was getting stale. Played online for maybe 3 days, first day was ok but by the second day the game's problems reared their head. Shitty spawns, maps with crazy lines of sight where you were never safe, and on top of those sight lines you also had to worry about people coming at you from above because of the jet packs. All that just led to frustration and now I have truly given up on the series for good. The single player campaign was ok but I was lead to believe you would have all the suit powers at your disposal from the get go but nope. You only used whatever powers the game mandated you use for that particular level. :

Dead Space 3- This one was a big, big disappointment for me. I loved the first game and while I thought the second game went a little more action route I still thought it delivered on tense moments. The controls also improved greatly. But I got 3 and from the get go I was disappointed in the full on action direction it went in compared to the first two games' tense atmosphere. I got to a part where I had to adjust 4 pillars or something to that effect and just getting overwhelmed with creatures. I had enough at that point and just shut it off. I was pretty sure I was near the end but man I just couldn't be bothered finishing the game. That one hurt....

wingwah

Banned
I gave up on FFXIII back when it released due to sheer frustration. I had loved the battle theme for the longest time, but after playing the actual game and enduring it ad nauseum—and the "gameplay," I just turned it off and hoped to never see it again.

Don't even get me started with the "story," what a travesty considering the pedigree of its predecessors. The same could be said about the Resident Evil series post 4.

Daggoth

The Witcher 2. I loved the first game but I absolutely cannot get my head around the combat system in the second. It's atrocious. Spamming roll and refreshing Quen until you see an opening does not make me feel like a badass slayer of monsters, it makes me feel like a circus acrobat who failed at the second or third audition.

Also, the inventory screens. I honestly thought it couldn't get worse after the first game.

I've tried to play this game about 5 times from the beginning, and ended each run somewhere after picking up a few quests from Flotsam.

ODDI

Mortal Kombat 9, bought the Komplete edition played it once never touched it again and don't want to.

Dark Souls, i'm just so bad and i'll probably stay far away from bloodbourne when I get a PS4.

Oreshika - I like a lot of concepts of the game, but the constant need to rebuild your party and the endless dungeons drag down the game.

Hyperdevotion Noire - A barebones strategy RPG with a boring story and no job system. I'm just not motivated to play it any longer.

Folklore....:( I love the game, the music, but man this one boss (that stupid flying boss). I just couldn't figure out the timing on the sixaxis. The fact that you have to damage him again to make his soul pop out, it got plenty frustrating for me. Maybe someday...

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Too Human...have no desire to play anymore.

MG Rising.. I just cant get into the sword play.

Zolbrod

I'm not proud of it or anything, but I give up on games pretty often nowadays.
If a game fails to grab my attention, there's about 50 others ready to take its place.

To name but a few:

- Far Cry 2 (hated the endlessly respawning enemies)
- Demons Souls (loved the game, but got sick of playing for hours and not making any progress)
- God Eater 2 (sooooooo much repetition)
- The Last Story (Snoozefest)

misterck

I know I'm not adding much to the topic but I just can't believe my eyes when I see people say they gave up on:

The last of us
Transistor
MGS1
Red dead redemption

I get that people have different tastes but the first two are in my opinion two of the best games so far on new gen console and the latter two are in my greatest of all time list.

Wensih

Mark Hamill and especially Leonard Nimoy took the voice acting to great heights.

Holy shit, I just remembered that Leonard Nimoy was the Voice Actor for Xehanort... I wonder who is going to end up being the voice actor in III. I thought he did a really good job as Xehanort.

ninanuam

Banned
I buy a lot of games and don't beat them so Ill just put down two where Ive played a lot of other entries in the series and finished the rest but just cannot get hooked into finishing.

Assassins Creed 3. I got pretty far in I think, but I dropped it as soon as I got some other game and I never looked back.

Yakuza: Dead Souls I just cant get into it. I keep plugging away every now and then but those terrible shooing controls. I just don't think I can bring myself to go back.

wmlk

Holy shit, I just remembered that Leonard Nimoy was the Voice Actor for Xehanort... I wonder who is going to end up being the voice actor in III. I thought he did a really good job as Xehanort.

Leonard Nimoy's Xehanort is incredible. I'm really going to miss him.

I was thinking of playing Birth by Sleep again just to hear him. :(

Top Bottom