• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

gamesindustry.biz: Video game remasters are a win-win for publishers

Purkake4

Banned
You're right. When including DLC/MTX spending, in many cases revs are increasing at a faster rate.

Bigger challenge is that the winners will be bigger winners, and losers will be bigger losers. Risk will continue to grow, but so will potential upsides. Also, the barriers to entry of these markets will increase.

The result will be fewer games over time fighting for this space, but with each "winning" game getting bigger and delivering more return.
Yup, the AAA market will be a small pond with a few giant fish.

I'm happy the indie market is flourishing and giving us amazing lower budget games with much lower barrier of entry to the market.

I agree. Even with high development costs, a remaster of Red Dead Redemption or the Mass Effect Trilogy would be huge, especially if the former also came to PC.

Sony's also leaving money on the table if they never remaster Demon's Souls or Bloodborne. Twisted Metal (2012) would be nice too, but I doubt they'd get much of a return on that one.

You're right. When including DLC/MTX spending, in many cases revs are increasing at a faster rate.

Bigger challenge is that the winners will be bigger winners, and losers will be bigger losers. Risk will continue to grow, but so will potential upsides. Also, the barriers to entry of these markets will increase.

The result will be fewer games over time fighting for this space, but with each "winning" game getting bigger and delivering more return.

How low do you think the AAA release count will go down? Do you think it'll get to a point where it will have a noticeable impact on console userbases or can indie grow bigger and fill in the needs of variety for the mass market the way AAA generally has?

I hope the success of these remasters/remakes means I can get a Banjo Kazooie and Tooie remake. Banjo deserves to get another chance.

How low do you think the AAA release count will go down? Do you think it'll get to a point where it will have a noticeable impact on console userbases or can indie grow bigger and fill in the needs of variety for the mass market the way AAA generally has?

I think about this ALL the time, and I just don't know the answer.

At some point, it would be reasonable to assume that there aren't enough big games coming to keep attracting users to the platforms.

But, if those big games that do exist keep getting bigger, and the smaller/indie games fill the content void, then we could actually see variety and market appeal actually increase.

I want to believe it's the latter. People like videogames, and people can make money making them, so it seems like the outlook should still be positive and optimistic?

Purkake4

Banned
I'm honestly surprised that people keep buying the remakes and remasters, but good for the publishers/developers, I guess.

I think about this ALL the time, and I just don't know the answer.

At some point, it would be reasonable to assume that there aren't enough big games coming to keep attracting users to the platforms.

But, if those big games that do exist keep getting bigger, and the smaller/indie games fill the content void, then we could actually see variety and market appeal actually increase.

I want to believe it's the latter. People like videogames, and people can make money making them, so it seems like the outlook should still be positive and optimistic?

Thanks for the reply, I also would like to think on the optimistic side. I feel that fewer AAA releases would open the door for indies to get more potential shelf space as well and fill in the void that AAA leaves with some more unique software.

I feel that all console manufacturers currently have a discover-ability problem and if AAA releases declined, retailers could provide an opportunity for more indie titles to be seen alongside the big AAA releases .

Welfare

Remasters have basically replaced the B Tier of games from last gen. Easy money and grows awareness for IP.

EA dropped the ball this gen. Could've had the Mass Effect Trilogy before Andromeda, Dead Space Trilogy, Skate etc etc.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Alexander DeLarge said:
Outside of the new features like battle mode, it's a compilation with a rendering resolution boost.
So is the new Wipeout.

TGO said:
There are ports with resolution differences are they not?
Yea - better known as remasters ;P

Top Bottom