• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamesindustry: Red Steel 2 confirmed and it will use Wii Motionplus

Shocking Alberto said:
I can only Imagine.
:lol

Pikelet said:
how ironic
:lol

Given that this shouldn't be rushed like the first Red Steel was, I may actually look forward to this one. The fact that it's the first third party game to use WiiMotion surprises me as well - I mean it's an UbiSoft game ffs.

nightez

Banned
Mr. Durden said:
I heard nobody complaining about Killzone 2 just because the first one was absolute crap, so why not give this second game in the series a chance to prove itself?
You make a very good point.

Model 500

Aeris130 said:
And make the swordfighting 1:1 or ditch it.

No, just make sure the gun control is at least as good as in MoH2. The sword play was just a nice little extra. Of course, if they make it work as well as in Wii Sport Resort, that would be amazing.

Neomoto said:
People care about this game because it is the only game worth even mentioning when it comes to Ubisoft on the Wii. And did they really spend 1.5 years on the Wii version of Shaun White Snowboarding? Cause from what I saw it didn't really reflected that. Neither did Raymen TV Party.

Exactly. It's the potential, even if they dont do anything with it :lol

JDSN

Banned
I loved the way the blamed the shitty graphics, bad pacing, lame presentation, shitty gunplay, bugs on the fact that the Wiimote wasnt "complete".

Cuu

Pikelet said:
how ironic

Good work.

I don't really like FPS, but I actually found Red Steel kind of fun. It was a mess, but it could have been pretty good. The ideas seemed sound, just weren't executed well.

With Prime 3, and... Call of, uhh, Medal of Honor, as examples, the control scheme should be better, and with Motion+, much better.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
nightez said:
You make a very good point.

No he doesn't. All people did for the first 2 years of that game is complain about the target render, complain about the first game, and complain about everything. It wasn't until Guerrilla showed up with the goods that the doubters started to shut their collective mouths. Honestly, the negativity surrounding KZ2 is well documented, they shut it up by delivering. That's what Ubi will have to do here. Also don't forget that Killzone Liberation is actually a good game.

Also, to those wondering why they are doing this with motion plus; they're hoping that they can capitalize on a new peripheral just like they did with the first Red Steel. If Red Steel one was released today it would sell nowhere near 1 million copies. It only did because it was a launch title, and it was one of the only hard core launch titles. They're hoping with Red Steel 2 they'll be able to capture that same audience by releasing it as a motion plus title. That way if the game is as mediocre as the first one, they'll still probably sell a million copies because people will want to feed their new peripheral some hard core games.

The first one goes to show that you can have a fun game, even if its unpolished and buggy as hell. I had no problems with aiming however, like most people did.

Cuu said:
the awesome avatar person
your avatar is really nice

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Seems pretty likely to me that Ubisoft had advance notice of the Motion Plus.

I don't understand it, but clearly Nintendo loooooooves the Ubi.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
They couldn't even get regular FPS motion controls right. Now they're tacking on Wii Motion Plus?

Good luck, Ubi.

TomServo

I actually enjoyed Red Steel, but I wish they'd drop the sword fighting alltogether. It wasn't just the motion controls, it was the lack of AI in those sequences.

Once you realize that there are only two or three different AI routines for the sword fighting they basically become waggle-controlled QTEs.

. . . Yeah, I don't like how they came off when talking about RS 1.

They basically said. . . .
" It wasn't all it could be because of the Wii tech (and we rushed it but mostly because of the tech. . ) and now with months of past dev time we can now make a better game with m+ (even if the lack of 1:1 was not the main problem of the past game. . .). We make good Wii game (. . . ) and are now going to keep trying to appeal to the new gamers! (meaning more of the "let the interns make a "Z" game" crap)"

I say screw Ubishit. All the Red Steels in the world can't fix the pain that their "Z" has put on my image of them. Im not their abused wife. . .

schuelma said:
Seems pretty likely to me that Ubisoft had advance notice of the Motion Plus.

I don't understand it, but clearly Nintendo loooooooves the Ubi.

I wouldn't say that.

Either some devs and 3rd parties had it before we knew they did (Like Lucas Arts/ Capcom for MH3/ Ubishit/ Sega maybe?) or Ubi is doing exactly what I thought they would. . .as in, they just got their m+ tech and are rushing to be "the first" to make a 1:1 sword fighter with it.

Sounds like they just got it.

"Red Steel 2 has been in development for many months now, and this new device will help us be even more precise in what we do with the product"

Flakster99

A sequel to the IP itself may not garner praise, however, a 3rd party coming out and stating they will make use of the add-on is big news in itself. It shows the promise of better support among other things, and Ubi/Nintendo will make damn sure this gets headlines.

Certainly Ubi understands the Wii market has flourished in spite of their mediocrity, in spite of their so-so sales, so who knows, Red Steel 2 may turn out average to good.

botticus

TomServo said:
I actually enjoyed Red Steel, but I wish they'd drop the sword fighting alltogether. It wasn't just the motion controls, it was the lack of AI in those sequences.

Once you realize that there are only two or three different AI routines for the sword fighting they basically become waggle-controlled QTEs.
Theh whole point of using MotionPlus is that the sword fights could be more dynamic. Otherwise it's pretty useless.

And if you drop the sword fighting, then Red Steel would have sold a dozen copies.

Struct09

It has potential. They don't need to rush this one, and I have hopes that it turns out to be what the first should have been.

wazoo

Black-Wind said:
I wouldn't say that.

Either some devs and 3rd parties had it before we knew they did (Like Lucas Arts/ Capcom for MH3/ Ubishit/ Sega maybe?) or Ubi is doing exactly what I thought they would. . .as in, they just got their m+ tech and are rushing to be "the first" to make a 1:1 sword fighter with it.

We hardly know they are rushing it, we do not know the release date. If it is a Fall 2009, then by then, expect many games to use m+ and they have to be decided now.

We have at least 3 games using the BBB of Wiifit this fall and Wiifit was announced 18 months before Fall 2008, same timeframe, most likely.

Haunted

I assume Ubisoft has several internal developers in Paris, since it's their HQ?

Because there's no way one team made

187 Ride or Die
Peter Jackson's King Kong
Rayman 2: Revolution
Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2
Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party
Red Steel
Red Steel 2
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
XIII

*not in chronological order*

TomServo

botticus said:
Theh whole point of using MotionPlus is that the sword fights could be more dynamic. Otherwise it's pretty useless.

What I'm saying is that Red Steel could have been 1:1 and still had crappy swordplay, because the AI was akin to an 80's era schmup. Two or three pattern that you had to learn, nothing more.

botticus said:
And if you drop the sword fighting, then Red Steel would have sold a dozen copies.

I don't think so. A lot of us bought it because we wanted to try an FPS with Wii controls. Far Cry was a disaster and while CoD3 may have had better controls you could tell it was designed around the 360/PS3 because you spent much of the game on the Wii shooting at distant enemies so pixelated that you wouldn't have known they were there if it wasn't for the (also pixelated) muzzle flash.

sullytao

I am one of the few that really enjoyed the first one despite its problems. The Graphics were pretty nice for a Wii game, the guns felt solid, the A.I. was suprisingly good and flicking the nunchuk to open doors and reload just felt right for some reason.

What I would love from the sequel is better checkpoints (or go even better and have quick saves whenever you want), more difficulty options, change the melee motion (Melee in shooters are supposed to be a quick and easy way to finish off a near by enemy. In Red Steel it was neither quick or easy), 16 or more players online with an inhouse online system abit like EA's for MOH:H2 and ranked matchmaking, 1vs1 online sword battles with the option to have 1:1 control or keep it like the first games (just more fine tuned) finally rip off MOH:H2 control system :D

drakesfortune said:
No he doesn't. All people did for the first 2 years of that game is complain about the target render, complain about the first game, and complain about everything. It wasn't until Guerrilla showed up with the goods that the doubters started to shut their collective mouths. Honestly, the negativity surrounding KZ2 is well documented, they shut it up by delivering. That's what Ubi will have to do here. Also don't forget that Killzone Liberation is actually a good game.

Also, to those wondering why they are doing this with motion plus; they're hoping that they can capitalize on a new peripheral just like they did with the first Red Steel. If Red Steel one was released today it would sell nowhere near 1 million copies. It only did because it was a launch title, and it was one of the only hard core launch titles. They're hoping with Red Steel 2 they'll be able to capture that same audience by releasing it as a motion plus title. That way if the game is as mediocre as the first one, they'll still probably sell a million copies because people will want to feed their new peripheral some hard core games.

I think to suggest that the first game only sold because it was a launch title is unfair. The game did have to compete against the likes of Twilight Princess and Wii Sports. The thing is, most core gamers knew that the game sucked and didn't buy it. A greater number of the sales were from unsuspecting casuals who saw the ads/heard of the concept and thought it looked really cool. You wouldn't believe how many people, who never read reviews or anything like that, saw the ads on TV and told me that I had to buy that game.

The launch position would've helped, but it wasn't the only factor. I would say that it was much more to do with having an audience that was interested in the game, and marketing the game very well towards that audience.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I'm a core gamer. I bought it. I enjoyed it. And I thoroughly look forward to the sequel.
(Even before the cool Wii Resort sword fighting demo)

Thank you, and have a safe and productive day.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
John Harker said:
I'm a core gamer. I bought it. I enjoyed it. And I thoroughly look forward to the sequel.
(Even before the cool Wii Resort sword fighting demo)

Thank you, and have a safe and productive day.

Ditto.

Vinci

Danish
_Alkaline_ said:
You wouldn't believe how many people, who never read reviews or anything like that, saw the ads on TV and told me that I had to buy that game.

This has been one of the interesting things about Ubisoft. They actively promoted Red Steel and the first Rayman, both of which went on to sell 1 million -- and then they stopped promoting things, stopped producing games with any value to them at all, and were surprised by the dip in sales?

Tell you what, Ubi: If the first stuff I see of Red Steel 2 looks better than the Conduit, I'll at least rent the damn thing; if it doesn't, I'll ignore you forever on this system.

farnham

Banned
jj984jj said:
Red Steel 2 still exists? :lol

Oh Ubisoft, why do you invest in such crap?

VALKYRAY said:
and it will suck again

I beg to differ

Red Steel 1 is arguably crap

Red Steel 2 is not even shown...

Red Steel 1 sold over one million copies which isnt too shaby

There are examples of games that were bad in the first iteration but turned awesome in the sequels after the initial title was received well...

Example : DKC 1 was average DKC 2 was all kinds of awesome

Nabs

Kevtones said:
People should go back and play Red Steel. The controls are much better than I remember.

Fun game.

the controls aren't bad if you turn off Auto Aim and adjust the sensitivity. i enjoyed red steel. the graphics improved as the game went on, and the last few levels looked really good. i bet red steel 2 will be more than decent, especially with better sword mechanics.

one major issue w/ red steel was the sensor bar. for some reason the pointer would go crazy for no reason. you would have press the home button and reset the controller for it to go back to normal.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Nabs said:
one major issue w/ red steel was the sensor bar. for some reason the pointer would go crazy for no reason. you would have press the home button and reset the controller for it to go back to normal.

Turn off the volume for the Wiimote, it's a bug that shipped with the game.

Amir0x

Banned
Man, they sure do know how to play the game here. They were one of the first games to be revealed for the Wii/wiimote, and now the sequel is one of the first games to be revealed for Wii Motion Plus.

I wonder if when the game sucks, they'll blame it on the learning curve of trying to take advantage of a new peripheral.

Haunted

They better keep the guy who did the music. I liked some tracks.
Agreed.

Amir0x said:
Man, they sure do know how to play the game here. They were one of the first games to be revealed for the Wii/wiimote, and now the sequel is one of the first games to be revealed for Wii Motion Plus.

I wonder if when the game sucks, they'll blame it on the learning curve of trying to take advantage of a new peripheral.
I wish I had a signed Red Steel OST. :(

Amir0x said:

Heh. It's the Ubi approach to the system - throw money and bodies at a first attempt that fails because of lack of time & experience, then spend the next two years producing nothing but ports and shovelware before repeating with a new peripheral.

Top Bottom