• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot selects their overall Game of the Year for 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
The nominees were:

Assassin's Creed IV
BioShock Infinite
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Dota 2
Gone Home
Grand Theft Auto V
Path of Exile
Super Mario 3D World
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
The Last of Us

And the winner is...
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow, a site that remembered handhelds exist during the goty process. That's nice to see.

Didn't see that coming, especially from Gamespot, but they are 100% correct as far as I'm concerned and I've played a lot of games across all consoles, but that game is just pure magic.

Moff

its my choice as well, best zelda in at least 10 years for most who played it.
personally, its easily in the top 3 zeldas, and I dont rank those

well done gamespot

NEO0MJ

Wow, I did not expect GS to give a portable GOTY, I thought this was one of those shoe-in TLOU/GTAV sites. Good on them for nominating Tearaway, too.

MYE

Really surprised!

And look at those deslikes by the teen cinematic-AAA-gaem-with-guns gobbling crowd.
And some here even argue that portable games don't win because they don't deserve it lol. Clearly these GOTY lists are almost always pandering to the myopic tastes of your average vidjagamer.

I don't think Zelda deserves it, personally, but I'm a huge Zelda fan and can be very critical of the games. But it's definitely a pleasant surprise to see a handheld game win one of these for once.

SmokyDave

Good on 'em for nominating two handheld games and ultimately choosing one of 'em.

I haven't played it yet myself, but it's top of my list to pick up once my backlog clears a bit.

Haunted

Haven't played it, but principally speaking, good on Gamespot for not going with the safe choice and picking a Japanese handheld game because they think it's the best game of the year.

Not giving a fuck about the community's wishes (wankers probably would've selected GTA or some shit) - clearly Giantbomb's good influence at work.

Dang0

I gotta admit it was super ballsy of Gamespot to give it to a
handheld nintendo game.
I don't know whether or not TLOU deserves it more (since I haven't played it yet), but I can really respect them for picking a controversial choice.

I can't wait for the next feedbackula though :D

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Nice to see a handheld, Nintendo-exclusive, gameplay-focused game win for once. Refreshing, even though I personally think the game is a bit overrated.

Well, I'm just glad handheld games are getting some love, I dislike the the silly idea that console games need to be the ones winning GotY awards.

Rozart

Woa. Did not expect that. Haven't gotten the chance to play the game yet but I'm definitely picking it up soon. Have heard nothing but great things about it.

Mafro

Good choice, it's probably my GOTY so far as well but I've yet to play 3D World.

Love the angry bros in the comments section of the article.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Well that's pretty cool actually. Not just because ALBW is also my GOTY but very few sites are going to pick something on a handheld.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom