• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot selects their overall Game of the Year for 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
why isn't it GotY material? just curious.
Not enough graphics and violence, and too much time lost playing and solving puzzles instead of enjoying the plot which is why a hardcorl plays games.

By the way, how is the ultra casual focused medium called GS picking this game as a GOTY? I mean, they were the same ones that put ZombiU a 4 for not being a shooter, and now it seems they care about gameplay? Something big has had to happen there, maybe some staff has been replaced by proper gamers?

SmokyDave

Haven't played it, but principally speaking, good on Gamespot for not going with the safe choice and picking a Japanese handheld game because they think it's the best game of the year.

Not giving a fuck about the community's wishes (wankers probably would've selected GTA or some shit) - clearly Giantbomb's good influence at work.
There's just no need for this.

TomShoe

Banned
Not really my personal GOTY, but a good choice anyway.

If you don't pick TLoU/GTAV, expect to get a lot of salt in your comments.

MYE

Not AAA enough, only on handheld consoles, usual stuff. :p

You forgot that it comes from Japan. JAPAN!!!

fainting.gif

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Good for handhelds, a step toward equality of treatment, i haven't played zelda(i don't have a 3ds) but imo a game like Tearaway would have been a better choice because it's a new ip and it's innovative both visually and gameplay-wise, other than being an awesome game.

Zalman

I am very surprised by this, but great to see that game getting some attention. One of the best Zelda games ever.

I guess good on them for picking something nonstandard.

But is it really good on them? Is the fact that they chose an unconventional GOTY in itself praiseworthy?

I'm starting to think a lot of great games are going to get snubbed by a bunch of sites' GOTY awards because they're "too obvious." And really that's kind of a shame, because while recognizing lesser known or unusual games for doing interesting and cool things is nice, to some degree it's dishonest to pick a GOTY just for the sake of giving the game more exposure.

I mean if everyone agreed that A Link Between Worlds really was the best game of the year then fine. I disagree, but hey, opinions. On the other hand if they picked it to get people talking about how they boldly didn't go for the obvious choice, then I think that's kind of dumb.

Not enough graphics and violence, and too much time lost playing and solving puzzles instead of enjoying the plot which is why a hardcorl plays games.

By the way, how is the ultra casual focused medium called GS picking this game as a GOTY? I mean, they were the same ones that put ZombiU a 4 for not being a shooter, and now it seems they care about gameplay? Something big has had to happen there, maybe some staff has been replaced by proper gamers?

Not AAA enough, only on handheld consoles, usual stuff. :p

It doesn't have long cutscenes breaking up the action.

It all makes sense now, let me dislike and post something stupid on the youtube video now. :p

MYE

I actually stopped playing ALBW to save it for Christmas :p
Its not easy. Yesterday I caved in and played a bit :(

Moff

I dont even think its a bold move.
I played both TLOU and GTAV and I think ALBW is the better game.

its only bold because people dont expect a handheld game to win, but it shouldnt be bold to pick a handheld game.
especially this year. the 3DS was a powerhouse, handhelds deserve to be recognized more and I am glad gamespot did that, it makes it less "bold" to pick a handheld GOTY in the future, which is how its supposed to be.

I dont even think its a bold move.
I played both TLOU and GTAV and I think ALBW is the better game.

its only bold because people dont expect a handheld game to win, but it shouldnt be bold to pick a handheld game.
especially this year. the 3DS was a powerhouse, handhelds deserve to be recognized more and I am glad gamespot did that, it makes it less "bold" to pick a handheld GOTY in the future, which is how its supposed to be.

This, so true.

Robin64

Oh god, the comments on that video. Just endless pages of the stereotypical shit about Nintendo. "Nintendo is for kids", "Zelda games are all the same", etc.

I'm currently playing TLoU and I stopped watching that video when I saw Ellie
handling a gun
; I just don't want to see or learn anything from it before I experience it in game.

That said, I'm surprised with their GOTY choice. I love my 3DS and I used to be a big Zelda fan, but the series has felt stale and stagnant to me for a good while now, and seeing videos of A Link Between Worlds didn't excite me about it at all. Is it really any different from the Zelda formula that we've played many times before?

I'm currently playing TLoU and I stopped watching that video when I saw Ellie
handling a gun
; I just don't want to see or learn anything from it before I experience it in game.

That said, I'm surprised with their GOTY choice. I love my 3DS and I used to be a big Zelda fan, but the series has felt stale and stagnant to me for a good while now, and setting videos of A Link Between Worlds didn't excite me about it at all. Is it really any different from the Zelda formula that we've played many times before?

It's like LTTP, goes to the point and has fast paced gameplay. I haven't played more than an hour of it but that hour was fantastic.

jett

D-Member
Huh. Well, okay.

The only game I'm surprised to see on these lists is AC4. Some people must really like the taste of the same old shit.

I will play this soon and while I can't comment on the quality besides what I saw(and what I saw was very impressive design-wise), kudos to Gamespot for having the guts to give the most prestigious award to a game that isn't a technical feast.

But more importantly, they should be praised for the Youtube comments that followed the video.....absolutely priceless.

EGM1966

Pretty good choice. I'd have gone with Tearaway myself but that's them subjective preferences.

Amazing two handheld games feel like they could genuinely win - interesting. Not that a handheld game could be that good but they'd get recognized as such in this way.

JDSN

Banned
Good, this game deserves it and im looking forward to Zelda WiiU thanks to the energy this inyected into the series. Goty by far and its says a lot of how shallow game journalism is when stuff like this and Hotline Miami ends up in Goty lists.

Film fans dont go raging when stuff like the Avengers doesn't win best movie.

Seanspeed

Banned
I like Gamespot's lists a lot of the time. I remember back when they chose Demon's Souls as their GOTY. They definitely aren't afraid to go away from the popular choices.

I guess good on them for picking something nonstandard.

But is it really good on them? Is the fact that they chose an unconventional GOTY in itself praiseworthy?

I'm starting to think a lot of great games are going to get snubbed by a bunch of sites' GOTY awards because they're "too obvious." And really that's kind of a shame, because while recognizing lesser known or unusual games for doing interesting and cool things is nice, to some degree it's dishonest to pick a GOTY just for the sake of giving the game more exposure.

I mean if everyone agreed that A Link Between Worlds really was the best game of the year then fine. I disagree, but hey, opinions. On the other hand if they picked it to get people talking about how they boldly didn't go for the obvious choice, then I think that's kind of dumb.

Pick obvious expected game, get shit for picking obvious expected game.

Pick unexpected game, get shit for picking unexpected game.

They just can't win.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
They selected a fricken handheld game as GotY? Isn't there a law against that?

Gamespot continues their slide into irrelevancy.

Also I must say that their list of nominees itself is made up of an encouragingly large variety of both games and platforms. Good games too (though I have yet to play AC4).

With all the hullabaloo of next-gen, Wii-U/Vita doomed etc. it is easy to forget that it has been a pretty solid year in games as far as, well, the actual games go. I generally pay little to no heed to end of year lists, or even reviews really, but this list has acted as a pleasant reminder to me of the year gone by.

elektrixx

Banned
Okay, but I still won't play it. I want better graphics from a Zelda title.

I'd have to buy a bigger 3DS to stop the hand cramps too.

ASIS

Last year was journey right? That means it will be three years until retail console games get a chance to take the crown again. That's just crazy, I would never have thought it would be possible.

K.Sabot

Handhelds have straight murdered consoles this year, it deserves it.

Also shouts out to Gamespot for having an interesting pick for GotY as usual, I literally fell out of my chair when I saw Demon's Souls win in '09.

Wow really surprised by that but it's a great game and deserves it. I want to say it may be the best Zelda ever, as close to perfection as the series has been but I need to play it a few more times to really pass judgement on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom