• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot selects their overall Game of the Year for 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majestad

Banned
The 3D effect was fine on my OG 3DS, but not with the XL. The range of movement available before it ghosts / blurs is miniscule for me. It's lovely (though irrelevant) that you don't find it an issue.

Keep your hands steady duder. That's all you need. Besides, ALBW has zero ghosting issues compared to other games. 3D is a must for this game.

The 3D effect was fine on my OG 3DS, but not with the XL. The range of movement available before it ghosts / blurs is miniscule for me. It's lovely (though irrelevant) that you don't find it an issue.

The XL is great but I can't side with anyone that says the viewing angle for 3D is improved, it's easily worse/trickier from my experience.

Alienous

Just out of interest, as a good amount of people agree that ALBW was their GOTY.

Those that agree, did you play the other nominated games also? I mean, excluding 3D World, and primarily talking about GTA V and The Last of Us. It seems like a lot of that is happening both ways.

Edit:
Basically I want to see someone say "I played TLOU/GTAV and ALBW is my GOTY", or the opposite.

MYE

ALBW doesn't need the 3D effect. It just looks a lot better on it than in most other games.
I always play with it off.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
How is that possible now that the 2DS exists?

I hope it isn't designed with 3D in mind because I can't hold the sweet spot for shit on my XL.

It's designed with 3D in mind only in the sense that it looks better in 3D than without it. Especially in Dungeons you'll get a great sense of depth. It's perfectly playable on a 2DS or with the 3D effect turned off, of course.

I play most games with the 3D off as a matter of fact, I often have problem with it too. But this game just worked for me. I think the stable 60fps helps a lot actually.

SmokyDave

Keep your hands steady duder. That's all you need. Besides, ALBW has zero ghosting issues compared to other games. 3D is a must for this game.
Not happening. Believe me, I've tried. The 3D effect was one of the few things I loved about the 3DS, but it's unusable for me on the XL. I like to relax when I'm playing games, not sit rigidly and concentrate on holding my head and arms in one constant place.

The XL is great but I can't side with anyone that says the viewing angle for 3D is improved, it's easily worse/trickier from my experience.
It's a much nicer machine overall, that's why I can't bring myself to trade it for an OG. The bigger screens, better battery and better materials just have the edge over the 3D.

Wouldn't have been my top pick, but I'll agree that it was one of the best games I've played all year. It was well designed, had a nice quick pace, great music, tried some new things and is just straight up fun. It's not hard to nominate it or see how it could win.

It also did not lean on its presentation very hard, putting the actual game-element in the spotlight. This is always a nice to see a game win that's actually about the act of playing and not about stepping into the territories of other media.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Just out of interest, as a good amount of people agree that ALBW was their GOTY.

Those that agree, did you play the other nominated games also? I mean, excluding 3D World, and primarily talking about GTA V and The Last of Us. It seems like a lot of that is happening both ways.

I haven't played TLoU, but I'll say this much: 99% of the praise I hear for the game is totally unrelated to the gameplay. I have really become weary of games that wish they were movies instead, and while this may not be the case with TLoU, everything I've seen and heard of the game says otherwise.

I'll play GTAV when it hits PC. GTAIV on 360 was miserable enough.

Not happening. Believe me, I've tried. The 3D effect was one of the few things I loved about the 3DS, but it's unusable for me on the XL. I like to relax when I'm playing games, not sit rigidly and concentrate on holding my head and arms in one constant place.

It's a much nicer machine overall, that's why I can't bring myself to trade it for an OG. The bigger screens, better battery and better materials just have the edge over the 3D.
its perfectly playable without 3D although 3D makes it look better
Wouldn't have been my top pick, but I'll agree that it was one of the best games I've played all year. It was well designed, had a nice quick pace, great music, tried some new things and is just straight up fun. It's not hard to nominate it or see how it could win.

It also did not lean on its presentation very hard, putting the actual game-element in the spotlight. This is always a nice to see a game win that's actually about the act of playing and not about stepping into the territories of other media.

this...

it felt like zelda on crack.. (i know that there is an indie game that claimed that title.. sorry indiegame.)

If it was truly designed around 3D then you wouldn't be able to play with 3D off at all. 3D World has far more complex level design and platforming than 3D Land and absolutely nothing was lost without the 3D effect. It's a visual effect. It doesn't help the actual gameplay in the slightest.

They can't design ANY game only for 3D because that would be stupid for driving those with eye issues away from the system.

Many people here including I think judging jumping in 3D land is enhanced with the 3D on.

That does affect gameplay.

Whether or not it's a huge difference will depend on the specific player.

I played the game a lot with the 3D on and off and while I almost play everything on the 3DS currently with it off, 3D Land was designed with it in mind.

monome

I haven't played A Link Between Worlds, just going by what I have seen and have read from the developers.

It's not going to be a shit game if you play in 2D in all likelihood but if you want the best out of the experience and the developers' vision, it seems one of the few 3DS games that you really should play with the 3D on.

Someone here could shed more light on it as to whether this is really the case or not, far better than I.

nah.

it's 99% cosmetics.

but 100% well applied cosmetics.

there are like one or two instances when you will want to turn the 3D on because it will make the situation easier to understand. but it's never required.

it is simply well diffused over the entire game - > presentation/puzzles/movements/and a few quirky animations.

Majestad

Banned
ALBW doesn't need the 3D effect. It just looks a lot better on it than in most other games.
I always play with it off.

This was one of the parts where I realized how much this game needs 3D, and how it was developed with it in mind:

H6wTmeV.jpg

If I was playing it in 2D, I wouldn't have said wow. Why miss many other instances like that?

Jak140

If it was truly designed around 3D then you wouldn't be able to play with 3D off at all. 3D World has far more complex level design and platforming than 3D Land and absolutely nothing was lost without the 3D effect. It's a visual effect. It doesn't help the actual gameplay in the slightest.
Funny you mention 3D World, because while it is a better game than Land in many ways, the one thing I found myself missing was the 3D effect; I hadn't realized how much easier the depth made it to judge distances for jumps in Land until I played World.

MYE

Because it's never been done before. That's why there's this massive uproar to begin with. Do you think this massive firestorm of controversy sprang from nothing?

Kids talking loud and stupid on Youtube comments should really not be treated as an event worth pondering about.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
They can't design ANY game only for 3D because that would be stupid for driving those with eye issues away from the system.

Many people here including I think judging jumping in 3D land is enhanced with the 3D on.

That does affect gameplay.

Whether or not it's a huge difference will depend on the specific player.

I played the game a lot with the 3D on and off and while I almost play everything on the 3DS currently with it off, 3D Land was designed with it in mind.

I actually find it harder to judge jumps with 3D on in 3D Land. It does nothing but distract and confuse me, and that's not even when the screen goes blurry if I move too much.

The Last of Us deserves every GOTY award ever. Anyone who disagrees has simple never played the game or is underestimating its impact of gaming and their livelihood. Gamespot has forever lost its reputation awarding GOTY to a 2D handheld game. This is why IGN is more popular.

Majestad

Banned
I don't doubt that Zelda is a really awesome game, but imo new ips and innovations should be always rewarded for the courage and the new ideas, especially if the game is as awesome as Tearaway.

No. Fantastic gameplay should always be rewarded first when it comes to video games.

The Last of Us deserves every GOTY award ever. Anyone who disagrees has simple never played the game or is underestimating its impact of gaming and their livelihood. Gamespot has forever lost its reputation awarding GOTY to a 2D handheld game. This is why IGN is more popular.

So you're saying they have shot themselves in the foot.

I don't doubt that Zelda is a really awesome game, but imo new ips and innovations should be always rewarded for the courage and the new ideas, especially if the game is as awesome as Tearaway.
It's been rewarded with high critical praise and many game of the year nominations. Originality and courage don't automatically overrule any other shortcomings.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

oh_you_BH.png

monome

That's fine but don't graphics have the capability to greatly enhance an experience???

exactly.

a girl's make up is either not necessary, or greatly applied to the point you forget there is make-up on her face.

Zelda knows her make-up routine alright. <3

but I prefer early morning waking-up Zelda. I have a spartanish approach to aesthetics.
PS : bought a 2DS for the game, tho I played it on OG 3DS and tried it on 3DSXL. 2DS ergonomics > 3DS's 3D or 3DSXL's screens

Let me ask you guys this: have you ever seen a handheld game win GotY in the past?

What is the relevance of this question? TWEWY was my GotY 2008, 999 was my GotY 2010. The fact that major outlets have sticked to AAA games is hardly a prove for anything, is it?

guise, wat is this

SmokyDave

No. Fantastic gameplay should always be rewarded first when it comes to video games.

To be honest, I don't give a shit if someone chooses their game of the year on the strength of the box-art or the font used on the options screen. As long as you explain why you chose what you chose, I'm easy.

Because it's never been done before. That's why there's this massive uproar to begin with. Do you think this firestorm of controversy sprang from nothing?

The firestorm of controversy comes from the closeminded that don't know the rules of what game can win the award.

There is no rule that handheld games are out of the running at most places I have seen.

The devaluing of portable games is a mindset that has no basis in reason as they have been very good for a long time now.

I haven't played TLoU, but I'll say this much: 99% of the praise I hear for the game is totally unrelated to the gameplay. I have really become weary of games that wish they were movies instead, and while this may not be the case with TLoU, everything I've seen and heard of the game says otherwise.

Yeah bothers me as well. I'll just quote myself from another thread:

The current climate tends to favor the video game as a 'cinematic experience' (at least in terms of revenue and I guess critical reception as well). Personally though, I would like to see games that play to the strengths of the medium. If I want a great story or see a good film, I'll read a book or watch just that, a good film. /edit: actually that's not what I meant to say. Games have provided me with great 'narrative' experiences, but not because they were linear and cinematic. Take Diablo 1 for instance, apart from the intro video, not a cutscene in sight, but that game does such a great job of setting the stage and creating an interesting and believable world through unobtrusive audiovisual cues. It's very likely that it was a method born out of necessity, but to my mind, that is the way to do it.

That is not to say the interactive nature of video games can't be utilized to do some interesting things with the entire concept of 'story', but I feel that isn't really being done right now (we probably need to await the birth of some better AI for that).

However, I think that games should provide a feeling of agency and experiences that are uniquely yours first and foremost. Sure, you'll always have to work within the confines of a particular setting and setup for a story at least, but it will always be some kind of a trade off.

However! Not to shit on the Last of Us, I still loved it despite it being heavily narratively driven. What there was in terms of gameplay (the combat) was pretty solid indeed. And I feel that they managed to overcome the conundrum I've described above by just brute forcing a huge amount of quality content in their game.

Apenheul

Of that list I only haven't played GTAV since I'm hoping for a PS4 release mid-2014, and while ALBW wouldn't be my GOTY I think it's a good and progressive sign that one of the biggest gaming media outlets recognizes handheld games as.. well.. games. Handheld games have been ignored for a very long time for no good reason and honestly I hope that maybe next year a mobile game even makes the list.

I've been getting back into handheld gaming and forgot how good they could be (Birth by Sleep is blowing my mind right now) so I'm really happy to see portable games getting some love.

I have Zelda ordered but I haven't played it yet but I'm certainly looking forward to it.

MYE

This was one of the parts where I realized how much this game needs 3D, and how it was developed it in mind:

H6wTmeV.jpg

If I was playing it in 2D, I wouldn't have said wow. Why miss many other instances like that?

I actually turned on the 3D in that area. It looked good, yes. But it wasn't needed.
My eyes are not fond of the 3D effect for long periods of time.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Path of Exile and AC4 probably didn't deserve to be nominated.

All the other are good choices for GOTY.

I personally would've picked TLOU over Zelda because it's not a sequel and because it was a uniquely powerful emotional experience but Zelda definitely had superior gameplay and crack-like addictiveness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom