• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot selects their overall Game of the Year for 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

monome

Well-deserved, more smooth and engaging, best pacing of any game I've played in years. Handheld games are more "game" than the big console shit anymore, really.

3DWorld, W101 say hello friend of engaging gameplay enhanced by presentation.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
DOTA 2 not nominated is just very, very strange. Or not, I guess.

Seanspeed

Banned
I think a lot of people are missing the point. Its not great that TLOU or GTAV didn't get picked because those aren't great games or anything.

Its that they were brave enough to pick a handheld game and don't feel pressured to pick a more 'popular' choice. They are picking what they wanted to pick and its a good sign to all those people who like to levy the 'gaming journalism sucks' and 'gaming sites are just all paid off' sorts of accusations you see thrown around anytime somebody hears something they don't like or agree with. Shows that integrity does still exist.

Then again, they could just be doing it for the clicks, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. :p

Jeez, I wonder why

Care to explain exactly what point your post is meant to be making here? Because I genuinely can't see it... at all.

Haha lol. I think everybody already knows that he only has playstation consoles and handhelds lol.

'Everybody' is very wrong then, as the only consoles I currently DON'T own are Wii U and Xbone(And Ouya and Shield and blah blah if you really want to nitpick), and I've already stated that I have every intention of buying both when circumstances make them more appealling purchases (Xbone: lower price, Wii U: games I actually want, which currently is pretty much just X). Playstation consoles have simply been the best options for the past 5 years or so for me, am I supposed to pretend my preferences don't wildly veer in that direction?

Black Flag is really that good?

It really is. Single handedly redeems the entire AC franchise imo.

SmokyDave

More like what they think they like.

You've lost me, boss. Are you saying that they don't actually enjoy what they play, or that they write other stuff off without trying it first?

I can see how both would be applicable, but then neither could be applicable too.

monome

Terrific gameplay combined with less profound presentation like Dota 2 or Zelda should surely score higher then?

obviously not since I prefer Zelda over TLOU by a large margin.
5.1 surround sound and 102" cinema screen for TLOU.
2DS and earplugs (comfy ones) for Zelda.

PS : in retrospect you lost me at surely, I have no idea what you mean.

loved me some Zelda and happy to see it brought to the public's attention.

phanphare

Banned
wow that's awesome. color me surprised

I'm glad that handheld games are getting some attention during GotY picks

Tearaway nominated
ALBW actually won over games like GTA V and TLoU

good stuff all around

all hail gameplay

I think a lot of people are missing the point. Its not great that TLOU or GTAV didn't get picked because those aren't great games or anything.

Its that they were brave enough to pick a handheld game and don't feel pressured to pick a more 'popular' choice. They are picking what they wanted to pick and its a good sign to all those people who like to levy the 'gaming journalism sucks' and 'gaming sites are just all paid off' sorts of accusations you see thrown around anytime somebody hears something they don't like or agree with. Shows that integrity does still exist.

Then again, they could just be doing it for the clicks, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. :p

I hope their pick was genuine, as you said.

Ew.

But I'm sure this is an exagerration just like when people claimed the 3D mattered in 3D Land. It enhanced nothing and to be honest it just made 3D Land worse since it was easier to miss jumps with the 3D effect on because of how distracting the effect is and the fact that if you move your head or the system slightly everything goes blurry. When I play LBW I will play with the 3D effect off. I will miss nothing.
What? Once you get used to the effect, 3D precisely HELPS at the jumps, because having a 3D view helps when it comes to calculate distances and all that.

I mean, that's saying that playing a black&white tetris is better because you're distracted by the colours of the pieces and you end confounding them. It may be true, but at the end, having pieces in various colours helps to differentiate them.

R.I.P

Legit surprised by this, it's a fantastic choice.
ALBW is easily one of the top contenders for my personal GOTY, though I still need to play The Last of Us which I'm getting for Christmas.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Please make a thread about this. This is exactly how I feel. Can't be bothered to play it because it never gets praised for good gameplay.

If I were articulate to make something worth reading, I would. Instead I'll have to be content playing indies, the odd Nintendo/Sony handheld title and watching everything else devolve into something games aren't supposed to be.

Majestad

Banned
Care to explain exactly what point your post is meant to be making here? Because I genuinely can't see it... at all.

'Everybody' is very wrong then, as the only consoles I currently DON'T own are Wii U and Xbone(And Ouya and Shield and blah blah if you really want to nitpick), and I've already stated that I have every intention of buying both when circumstances make them more appealling purchases (Xbone: lower price, Wii U: games I actually want, which currently is pretty much just X). Playstation consoles have simply been the best options for the past 5 years or so for me, am I supposed to pretend my preferences don't wildly veer in that direction?

It really is. Single handedly redeems the entire AC franchise imo.

Your GOTY choices are literally the last games I would put on a GOTY list.

MYE

There is nothing wrong in mostly enjoying games and consoles from one house.
Your well known frequent drive-by troll posts in multiple nintendo threads might have something to do with these reactions though.

You've lost me, boss. Are you saying that they don't actually enjoy what they play, or that they write other stuff off without trying it first?

I can see how both would be applicable, but then neither could be applicable too.

The latter. You have people in this very thread doing that with not only Zelda but TLOU and others as well.

SmokyDave

The latter. You have people in this very thread doing that with not only Zelda but TLOU and others as well.
Eh, fair enough. You see it an awful lot with people writing off great swathes of games (especially indies and mobile games). So it's more about what they think they don't like, than what they think they do like. Gotcha.

No, it's atrocious and basically the same as every other AC (the ship stuff is the same as 3). People telling you it's different must be high.
Yeah, I definitely need to buy AC4.

ys45

Well that's interesting , I was expecting something like GTAV or TLOU .
I must say , I'm pleasantly surprised .

And yeah this year my favorite games has been on 3DS (Fire Emblem Etrian, Odyssey 4 Ys,ALBW ) so portable games are not to be disregarded simple because they are on portable console .

Nibel

Ah, so even you don't know what point you thought you were making then. Okay.

Oh please, please stop acting like that, dude :lol

Your post history is known and everything relevant to my post was already said by others; even you yourself just mentioned a fact on the previous page that makes your first post in this thread even more absurd

While I'm sure Zelda is a well made game, I can't help but feel a little uneasy about a game that recycled the entire overworld of a 20 year old game, winning GOTY, and what message that sends to publishers/developers.

CronoShot

Not only is it NOT The Last of Us or GTAV, but it's a handheld game?

Props Gamespot. Props.

We all know Fire Emblem is the true GOTY though.

JDSN

Banned
While I'm sure Zelda is a well made game, I can't help but feel a little uneasy about a game that recycled the entire overworld of a 20 year old game, winning GOTY, and what message that sends to publishers/developers.

Im glad we are at the point we are making stuff up so we can tell lies to ourselves.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
While I'm sure Zelda is a well made game, I can't help but feel a little uneasy about a game that recycled the entire overworld of a 20 year old game, and what message that sends to publishers/developers.

Well, Skyrim and Walking Dead pretty much sweeped the last two years and those games are straight up broken in many respects, so I would take this as an improvement either way.

Moff

Just out of interest, as a good amount of people agree that ALBW was their GOTY.

Those that agree, did you play the other nominated games also? I mean, excluding 3D World, and primarily talking about GTA V and The Last of Us. It seems like a lot of that is happening both ways.

Edit:
Basically I want to see someone say "I played TLOU/GTAV and ALBW is my GOTY", or the opposite.

yes, I have written that even in this thread. finished both TLOU and GTAV
I enjoyed TLOU, and enjoyed GTAV even very much especially in early game. they are definitely worthy GOTY contenders.

but in the end, ALBW is just the better game. and I dont see why that is an outrage simply because it was released on a handheld.
most agree that its the best zelda in at least 10 years. that alone should say enough that its not just a little handheld game. its an excellent game for itself, but it also made some great changes to a very dusty and stale franchise. for more detail, see its thread or the ALTTP vs ALBW thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom