• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot selects their overall Game of the Year for 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kater

Banned
Dat Dislike bar.
Can't wait for the next Feedbackula.

And kudos to Gamespot for having the courage to choose a handheld game GOTY. :)

andymcc

Banned
This game is the best Zelda game in SEVERAL years and I'm not the biggest Zelda fan.

I've played it more than almost any (non-classic) game this year if my 3DS logs are to be trusted.

Ah. I will love it then
Yeah, I definitely need to buy AC4.
lol, you just sold a copy to me.
I laughed way too hard at this.

First AC I got 100% sync in since Brotherhood. After the garbage of 3, it's refreshing. But since it's not a purely mechanics-focused, skill-based title appealing to the design sensibilities of the 80s and 90s, Derrick will, of course, say it's wretched and dismiss anyone who likes it as having poor taste (or just being on drugs.)

-Amon-

The nominees were:

- Tearaway (PS Vita)
- The Last of Us (PS3)
- Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)
- Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4 / Xbox One)
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)
- Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox 360)
- Path of Exile (PC)

Only thing i have to say is that the nominees list is spot on, in my opinion these are all beautiful games that for different reasons could be goty. So who gets it for gamestop is not that important, any game on that list could be goty for me.

Wow they just dropped the bomb. Maybe I am just used to the way that IGN does it with announcing the list and then waiting to pick a winner.

Even though I'm not interested in ALBW, I'm glad a 3DS game got the nod, because it's my favorite system and anything that can make it even more popular and successful is good in my book (because it means more third party support, longer shelf life, and more chance of games that I'm interested in coming to the system).

Nev

Banned
Why is GTA 5 listed as Xbox 360 only and AC4 is PS4/Xbox One? Is it because there must be at least one "exlcusive" from each brand?

73V3N

Banned
Even though I'm not interested in ALBW, I'm glad a 3DS game got the nod, because it's my favorite system and anything that can make it even more popular and successful is good in my book (because it means more third party support, longer shelf life, and more chance of games that I'm interested in coming to the system).

Look at the likes/dislikes of the youtube video, it probably made it more hated :(

entremet

Didn't mean it like that.

Just thought it was interesting that TLOU and GTA V would be my top two, but a I've barely played enough of 3D World or any of ALBW to discount them as contenders.

Thought it might be two sets of gamers operating in vacuums. Evidently not, it seems.

I've always hated GTA and V hasn't changed a thing for me. TLOU dragged on and became repetitive with its samey set pieces. Good game, just not the masterpiece some people proclaim, IMO.

Cromat

I remember we just had that "why can't handheld games win overall game of the year?" thread. Well there you go. Gamespot must have read it.

KKRT00

I cant imagine riot if they chose Path of Exile. It wouldnt be Sony fanboys vs gamespot, it would console players vs gamespot.

While I agree with you and I spent 200+ hours between WiiU and 3DS with this game, I think that you won't see this on any lists because it's "more of the same old monster hunter". (which we all love, obviously)

monster hunter is too hit or miss for it to a be a goty contender on many review sites. It's definitely not a game for everyone and thus won't be a likely candidate.

Both good points. MH3U was definitely more of the same and it sure it's for everyone (heck, it took me a couple of games before I really got into it and realized how glorious it is).

Link Between Worlds was a freaking fantastic game and it's a damn fine choice for game of the year. It's heartening to see Nintendo return to top-tier form with Zelda and Mario (which was also in my top 10) after all the bad news they've had recently.

I think we can all lay to res the "Gamespot hates Zelda" since the last two console iterations (TP and SS) got "low 8s" that many moaned about.

I would have gone with Tearaway IMO, it's the freshest and most innovative out of all those games.

We really shouldn't be rewarding Nintendo for its never ending nostalgia abuse.
You're right, give it to wonderful 101, new ip, difficult and mechanics focused with innovative combat (not sensationalized hype innovative, like legit innovative, you freaking do your fighting game like inputs on the right stick and mess with the genres traditions of crowd control by BEING the crowd) sure it sold like ass. But its a step in the right direction.

It is a really, really good game. But I don't have the sense of exploration that the other games like ACIV or GTA V gave me.

I've only played 4 games on that list (GTA V, ACIV, Tearaway, ALBW) so my opinion is from that view.

I really am enjoying ALBW, I have 2 more dungeons to beat and then the finale so maybe my view will be different, but while everything is "tight" and "controls great" and even the story is better than most (IMO) I still have the feeling of "I've done this before". It's like playing Tetris after not playing for years. Most of the bosses I know exactly what I should do and almost all enemies too. Doesn't mean I do it, lol .. I had to get back into the swing of things before I stopped dying being stupid or distracted while playing.

I just don't feel it as my GOTY. I never had a sense of wonder or 'awe' (besides seeing LTTP in glorious 3d) and while I loved the painting power, it added to the puzzles for sure, it still felt like "I'd been here", especially with the reuse of a lot of the same enemies and area layout. It was like when I played Skate 2 where I was first excited then realized that I knew the city too well, even with added paths.

9/10 for sure. But the sense of wonder and awe I get from ACIV and GTAV, even though it's still strongly 'been there, done that' with the gameplay, the worlds themselves were amazing to explore (still haven't finished ACIV, about 1/2 way) and I feel like a kid yelling for my fiance' to come into the room and say "LOOK AT THIS!" when I'm hunting a whale or sailing into the sunset. Same with GTA V, it had some of the single best missions in gaming I've ever played. Such a well thought out script and character setup.

Tearaway I can't really comment on, played about an hour or so, and while it's interesting, I think I'm still in the tutorial phase but it really hasn't hooked me. Not a huge fan of all the different control methods.

I can completely understand tastes and likes, but for me GTA V or ACIV would take the lead. In fact I'm probably going to vote for ACIV and GTA V as my top 2 in the GAF GOTY thread, followed by ALBW, SMT IV (I went back to it after my initial frustration with the map) and my LTTP vote will be Persona 4G, and MH3U. So I'm not adverse to handhelds for sure.

Mr. Patch

I still don't understand why people like Assassin's Creed so much. I've only played the 2nd one, and the only thing I really liked about it was the setting. The actual gameplay ruined the game for me.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I think the oddest part of this whole thing is that people are bothered that a fucking Zelda game won a GOTY award. This should be as expected as TLoU or GTA really.

Unless the thought wounds your fanboy pride, of course.

I'm genuinely sorry to be going back to this and uh... derailing this thread, but I've only just caught up.

There is nothing wrong in mostly enjoying games and consoles from one house.
Your well known frequent drive-by troll posts in multiple nintendo threads might have something to do with these reactions though.

I take the piss in a lot of threads, not just Nintendo ones, but I probably have crossed the line with how far I take things on occasion. It's not my intention to just "driveby troll" threads even if that's how it might come off. When the console war heat is on, it can sometimes be hard to see when you've stepped over the line.

I apologise if my posts have somehow caused any actual upset to anyone previously. That's not something I'd be proud of... Though I will add that there are some who I honestly wouldn't give a shit about upsetting. Speaking of...

Oh please, please stop acting like that, dude :lol

Your post history is known and everything relevant to my post was already said by others; even you yourself just mentioned a fact on the previous page that makes your first post in this thread even more absurd

It's just that reading your post followed by the responses from some of your buddies seems to suggest to me that you're implying that post is something I should be embarassed about. I just wanted you to clarify your point with it so I could be sure I was taking it correctly before I did something like respond by likening you to a lady's tuppence while pointing out how low it is to try and embarass someone by linking to an unrelated, perfectly innocent post.

If you're going to call me a fanboy just call me a fanboy ffs, don't try to be cute about it.

Trago

A handheld game won? That's pretty cool actually. Maybe more websites should reward great gameplay and game design over high production values.

That wont happen though :)

What a pleasant surprise! Kudos to Gamespot.

The game is brilliant, loving every minute of it! I think it's totally legit as GOTY.

jet1911

He was probably just being sarcastic. Path of Exile was already nominated =)

Yeah. :p

I don't care what game publication choose as their GOTY, as long as it's a good game! A lot of people here would loose their shit though. F2P are seen as the scum of gaming here after all.

Let me ask you guys this: have you ever seen a handheld game win GotY in the past?

Sorry Oblivion, there's opinions and then there's shitty opinions (your stance in this thread).

By that logic Journey and The Walking Dead weren't the stars of last year's GotY awards before because never has an indie game received as many nominations/wins as these two games. These two indie games are great but they're not my favourite indie titles (in fact a lot of people I guarantee you would say the same thing). Indie games don't sweep GotY because indie games don't get noticed or get underrated a lot. The same is true for handheld games. You won't see them win GotY because people don't pay enough attention to them. The argument that handheld games don't get GotY awards is an argument that requires proof that this is true for a specific reason. Who am I to assume that it's because handheld games are inherently worse than console games? I mean, could you name for me how many animated films win Best Picture and also explain why this isn't because animated films don't win because they're inherently worse films than their live action counterparts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom