• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot selects their overall Game of the Year for 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeM86

The comments on this are horrifically hilarious.

Someone said a two year old could make a better game than Zelda. Others asked how much Nintendo paid them to save their reputation.

Good lord, the Internet never fails to deliver.

Orayn

I expect this thread to give birth to GAF's own version of "The Tyranny of Fun," a semi-famous rant post where a guy explained how liking something and finding it enjoyable didn't really say anything about its quality, because it turns out quality is judged by his standards and not yours. Anything not conforming to that guy's particular expectations was considered degenerate, dysfunctional, and vulgar, and could only be the result of foolish people knowingly denying excellence and truth.

We all root for our favorites and feel a little dejected when they don't win something. That's natural. Barring the game turning out to be a colossal disappointment, I myself am expecting to feel at least a little salty about each site that doesn't at least mention Dark Souls II in their end of the year awards for 2014.

But acting like one particular site's GOTY award is Esau and Jacob and that your favorite was ROBBED because the idiots didn't recognize its exalted qualities?

VvSptfP.jpg

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I expect this thread to give birth to GAF's own version of "The Tyranny of Fun," a semi-famous rant post where a guy explained how liking something and finding it enjoyable didn't really say anything about its quality, because it turns out quality is judged by his standards and not yours. Anything not conforming to that guy's particular expectations was considered degenerate, dysfunctional, and vulgar, and could only be the result of foolish people knowingly denying excellence and truth.

We all root for our favorites and feel a little dejected when they don't win something. That's natural. But acting like one particular site's GOTY award is Esau and Jacob and that your favorite was ROBBED because the idiots didn't recognize its exalted qualities?

C'mon, mang. This site has robbed our fun of console wars. We walk on eggshells. At least let us get worked up a little about goty choices.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
And people wonder why Nintendo has sales trouble even when the game are good. Just read those comments and you'll see why.

Oh my God. Some of the replies in this thread are downright embarrassing.

It's just a collective #1 pick by editors among the year's best games. Doesn't mean they didn't like your personal choice. In fact, I'd wager some of the GS editors probably agreed with your choices. But collectively Zelda came out on top. Not to take anything away from it, I'm just saying that's how these things go.

Actually, it's kind of refreshing to see a handheld title take the crown for once. It's not my personal pick, but fuck it - who cares? None of this really means anything.

SmokyDave

You're only hurting yourselves and I don't give a shit, so go for it. Experience the worst gameplay gaming can offer.
Ah, I'm just playin' with ya chap. We do have pretty different tastes, but I wouldn't really buy a game on the basis that you didn't like it.

I really want to give AC4 a go though. Mostly because I've heard so much positive praise for the game from people that I normally jive with. I couldn't dig AC1, 2, or 3 at all though, so I'll wait on a sale.

Aeneas

Good choice, probably my choice as well. I still want to play Tearaway 1st though. I would put Fire Emblem on the shortlist but I feel gamespot's list is balanced.

I've played a few hours of ALBW and beaten TLOU. As far as my personal top 10, ALBW is definitely going to be on it, and TLOU will be nowhere near it.
I've also played a lot on TLOU and besides graphics and presentation, can pleas anyone tell me what the hell has this game that makes it worth as a GOTY contender?
It's as generic as a game can be in terms of level design. I mean, there's more creativity in the first dungeon of ALBW than in the whole TLOU.

TLOU has an "ok" gameplay, but it's just an excuse to advance in the history. On the other hand ALBW constantly forces the user to use imaginative solution. It's not only the gameplay which in TLOU doesn't introduce anything not ever seen (unlike ALBW and it's "fused on the wall" mechanic), it's that in terms of level design there's nothing in TLOU that if you've played 3 hours of it will surprise you latter in the game, while ALBW always tries to do so.

Wiz

Yeah I'm surprised, but glad to see games other than GTAV and Last of Us get some shine.

I still have to finish this game though, freaking Pokemon keeps taking up my time.

Link Between Worlds was amazing. I have it ranked at #3 underneath The Last of Us and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

Speaking of, I haven't seen MH3U on any "Best of 2013" list yet. Maybe people are forgetting about it since it came out early in the year? I had so much fun with it.

Hindle

Banned
While I'm sure Zelda is a well made game, I can't help but feel a little uneasy about a game that recycled the entire overworld of a 20 year old game, winning GOTY, and what message that sends to publishers/developers.

ALBW has genuine creative use of gameplay and some innovative mechanics that have never been done before. I hope publishers do get the message tbh.

Derrick01

Banned
What? It's not like they're buying Killzone or Knack.

Both of those games are far superior in the gameplay department since it's actually possible to fail in them, and they both require the user to press buttons in combat.

funkystudent said:
We really shouldn't be rewarding Nintendo for its never ending nostalgia abuse.

While I agree, the game is really pretty good even with the rehashed world. I still need to finish most of the dungeons though, I've been doing too much overworld exploration since they let you have all the items.

hoserx

Link Between Worlds was amazing. I have it ranked at #3 underneath The Last of Us and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

Speaking of, I haven't seen MH3U on any "Best of 2013" list yet. Maybe people are forgetting about it since it came out early in the year? I had so much fun with it.

While I agree with you and I spent 200+ hours between WiiU and 3DS with this game, I think that you won't see this on any lists because it's "more of the same old monster hunter". (which we all love, obviously)

This is next up for me after I finish TW101 (well, I might squeeze in Gunpoint in between).

The reception for this game has me super-hyped to start it up.

GetemMa

Does ANYONE who has played ALL (or rather, GTA V and TLOU) of the nominees agree with Gamespot that ALBW is the GOTY?

I get the feeling that the people saying ALBW is their GOTY haven't played GTA V or TLOU, and those that have one of the latter two games as GOTY haven't played ALBW.

Prove me wrong, GAF. This may just be a Nintendo vs. The World thing.

LOL

Good god. TLOU I might even understand over ALBW, but GTA V?

When are people going to get over that franchise and take it for what it is? A big beautifully crafted map filled will stuff that ranges from borderline fun to not fun at all, all with the joy of using controls that, if part of any other game, would be hammered by the critics.

MYE

I've also played a lot on TLOU and besides graphics and presentation, can pleas anyone tell me what the hell has this game that makes it worth as a GOTY contender?
It's as generic as a game can be in terms of level design. I mean, there's more creativity in the first dungeon of ALBW than in the whole TLOU.

TLOU has an "ok" gameplay, but it's just an excuse to advance in the history. On the other hand ALBW constantly forces the user to use imaginative solution. It's not only the gameplay which in TLOU doesn't introduce anything not ever seen (unlike ALBW and it's "fused on the wall" mechanic), it's that in terms of level design there's nothing in TLOU that if you've played 3 hours of it will surprise you latter in the game, while ALBW always tries to do so.

TLOU is better than the sum of its parts. Its kinda pointless to dissect any gamey aspect of the title when its biggest triumph is the cinematic "experience" provided by the whole package.
Gameplay is quite engaging for this type of game and elevated by a presentation that really is fucking fantastic. That and really good pacing and payoff does wonders on how folks remember it. Oh and making people connect with the characters helps too :p

Worthy of being a GOTY contender for sure IMO. It does what it set out to do better than most.

Moff

We really shouldn't be rewarding Nintendo for its never ending nostalgia abuse.

I think nintendo has found a good course lately, which basically breaks down to: tons of fresh, new and diverse gameplay mechanics in an enviroment that is pumped with nostalgia.
personally, I think that is exactly how nintendo should make games today.
they pulled this off with the galaxies, mario 3d land/world and ALBW and I am very pleased with this.
they should go this way with all their franchises.

CmdBash

monster hunter is too hit or miss for it to a be a goty contender on many review sites. It's definitely not a game for everyone and thus won't be a likely candidate.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
'They did not pick the game I would pick for my GOTY therefore fuck GameSpot'.

I haven't beat ALBW yet but I fucking love it so far.

SmokyDave

LOL

Good god. TLOU I might even understand over ALBW, but GTA V?

When are people going to get over that franchise and take it for what it is? A big beautifully crafted map filled will stuff that ranges from borderline fun to not fun at all, all with the joy of using controls that, if part of any other game, would be hammered by the critics.
When are people going to get over the fact that not everyone shares their opinion?

Does ANYONE who has played ALL (or rather, GTA V and TLOU) of the nominees agree with Gamespot that ALBW is the GOTY?

I get the feeling that the people saying ALBW is their GOTY haven't played GTA V or TLOU, and those that have one of the latter two games as GOTY haven't played ALBW.

I have played gtav, tlou, and tearaway. My goty is wonderful 101 but I would probably put link between worlds around 4th, the three I first mentioned would not be in the top ten, (it has nothing to do with being on a nintendo console, mind you) the notions kinda silly.

Mafro

I've played both those games and would still rate ALBW much higher than them, as well as a few other games. For example, I had much more fun and enjoyment playing Saint's Row 4 than GTA V, and the same goes for Tomb Raider compared to TLOU.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Just out of interest, as a good amount of people agree that ALBW was their GOTY.

Those that agree, did you play the other nominated games also? I mean, excluding 3D World, and primarily talking about GTA V and The Last of Us. It seems like a lot of that is happening both ways.

- Tearaway (PS Vita) (played, completed)
- The Last of Us (PS3) (not played, plan on playing it some time down the road)
- Super Mario 3D World (Wii U) (played, completed, my personal GotY)
- Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4 / Xbox One) (played, completed, old-gen-version though)
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS) (played, completed)
- Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox 360) (not played, do not ever want to play it)
- Path of Exile (PC) (I don't play on PCs so I haven't even heard about it)

I haven't played The Last of Us, because I have no PS3. However, I absolutely hate everything about Uncharted. I know TLOU is not the same so I want to give it a chance, but if it wants to have a chance to beat any of the games above that I marked as played, it needs to be outstanding from a purely mechanical point of view, I would not tolerate anymore setpieces for their own sake. I do not want to say it cannot be among my GotY candidates, I would have long played the game already if I had a PS3, but I doubt it, personally.

As for GTA: I've played other GTAs; GTA3 was such an absurdely bad game from my point of view, that I cannot imagine GTA5 to be of any value to me. I demand focused, tightly designed worlds, well-thought out gameplay mechanics and a strict focus on these two factors. GTA3 was a random, story-driven playground with subpar execution of almost anything you could do within the game world and it turned me off the series so much that I have never played a game of that series ever again. I wouldn't even take a copy of GTA3 for free, do you think GTA5 would even have a chance of not only being fun to me, but beating all the other games above as GotY?

If either of these two games beat Zelda for me, I'd be extremely surprised. In fact, I would be very surprised if any of these beat Tearaway for me and I am less fond of Tearaway than most on NeoGAF.

I would agree with them. I played every game on that list and ALBW stole my heart. I fell in love with Zelda all over again! It's a modern masterpiece. Ontop of that I've got 3 or 4 casual gamers at work fawning over it and they would never in a million years touch a traditional mainline zelda game.

I agree that their opinion is their opinion.

TLOU is better than the sum of its parts. Its kinda pointless to dissect any gamey aspect of the title when its biggest triumph is the cinematic "experience" provided by the whole package.
Gameplay is quite engaging for this type of game and elevated by a presentation that really is fucking fantastic. That and really good pacing and payoff does wonders on how folks remember it. Oh and making people connect with the characters helps too :p

Worthy of being a GOTY contender for sure IMO. It does what it set out to do better than most.
Well then, it's clear that all comes to tastes, but if we judge GAMES then ALBW is much, much better than TLOUs. As an interactive experience it can be debatable, but as a game I think that playability has to have the most weight and by far.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Fair choice, so no complaints here. That said, there should be nothing too unexpected or radical about a Zelda game -on a handheld platform or not- winning GOTY.

There are few franchises with the enduring level of respect enjoyed by Zelda. Had a new IP, built from the ground up for mobile taken the award, Tearaway for example, then I'd be somewhat surprised.

Zelda is f**king amazing so good choice.

While I love them all, I haven't felt the old Zelda joy 'as much' as I do in ALBW for a few games now.

Its glorious.

My take on this.

Sure its a zelda, but besides that, Soooo refreshing to have a polished game with actual good gameplay and silky smooth 60fps win GOTY for a big outlet.

been enjoying it a bunch, sure its easy, and dungeons are short, but it fits my playstyle real good (play 30min a day during commute)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom