• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpy GOTY Awards

purg3

slept with Malkin
beermonkey@tehbias said:
I'll wager that much more development time was spent on the SP.

If true, that's sad since the game design is still stuck in the stone age compared to modern shooters. It was still fun though, except on veteran. Then you really start to see the flaws.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I can understand the logic. If you think it is the best game of the year, than it would be the best on each platform since it runs well on all of them. There were other games this year that I liked better but it is definitely the best multiplatform game. There will be lists worse than this before the end of the month.

lockii said:
Not that I don't disagree with this, but what's your angle here? That Orange Box / variety of other PC games are better, is what I'm taking.
Exactly. COD is a largely console series. Gamespy saying it's the best pc games have to offer and it being ported to the PC when other games such as those found in the orange box that have been developed for pcs first and foremost, is an insult to pc gamers like me.

pDawg

The same game gets GOTY across three different platforms. Hmm.....

I'm going out on a limb and guessing they'll give Overall GOTY to CoD4.

papelnabangka said:
Exactly. COD is a largely console series. Gamespy saying it's the best pc games have to offer and it being ported to the PC when other games such as those found in the orange box that have been developed for pcs first and foremost, is an insult to pc gamers like me.
Call of Duty started on the PC. The original was only released on the PC. And COD3, the only console-only iteration, is known as the bastard child of the series.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
CajoleJuice said:
Call of Duty started on the PC. The first two were only released on the PC. And COD3, the only console-only iteration, is known as the bastard child of the series.

Since when was CoD 2 PC exclusive?

Gigglepoo

pDawg said:
I'm going out on a limb and guessing they'll give Overall GOTY to CoD4.

Which is silly. There is no way people will remember Call of Duty 4 when thinking about the best games of 2007. Doesn't it have to, you know, bring something new to the table? It'll be forgotten as soon as the next war game comes out.

trinest

squicken said:
http://goty.gamespy.com/2007/index.html

PS3 GOTY: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
PC: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
360: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
DS: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
GBA: Final Fantasy VI Advance
PSP: FF Tactics: The War of the Lions
PS2: God of War II
Wii: Super Mario Galaxy

Rest of awards tomorrow, but I think overall GOTY from them is a pretty easy guess.
Worst games ever.
Seriously.
Dementium should be the DS one.
SMG shouldn't have been the wii one either.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
papelnabangka said:

Most of the big FPS released lately are roughly similar on both consoles and PC before you factor in mods or playing at extremely high resolutions. Crysis is the obvious exception, it would have to be altered dramatically to run on the consoles.

Orange Box could be a tricky subject as far as GOTY awards go. A lot of people played HL2 three years ago and EP1 18 months ago. The rest of it comes down to how much you liked the new content.

COD4 completely deserves GOTY, hands down (a least on the Xbox side). Its the only game I've played all year that is absolutely feature complete - and doesn't feel like it's missing something. In fact its got everything you'd expect, and then some.

Multiplayer alone had enough steam to take the wind out of Halo 3 for a lot of players, me included. The perk system works much better than I thought it would, and the xp/ranking, challenges and party system take the cake. The party system has a few bugs that split your party up, but they'll be ironed out with the next patch.

The single-player campaign gets a lot of shit on GAF for some reason. But its a perfection of the formula started in previous COD games, but taken to the next level entirely.

From starting you off on a swaying cargo ship in the Bering Strait, and the "you-are-fucking-here" opening credits, to Death from Above, War Pig, Shock and Awe, All Ghillied Up, and the final few psychotic levels, the game is just flawlessly executed.

I wasn't even planning on buying this game in the first place, but damn its turned me into a near fanboy. Other devs should stop and take notice at all the things Infinity Ward nailed with part 4.

60FPS, smooth controls and awesome animations FTMFW.

squicken said:
http://goty.gamespy.com/2007/index.html

PS3 GOTY: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
PC: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
360: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
DS: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
GBA: Final Fantasy VI Advance
PSP: FF Tactics: The War of the Lions
PS2: God of War II
Wii: Super Mario Galaxy

Rest of awards tomorrow, but I think overall GOTY from them is a pretty easy guess.

Where is Bioshock ?!??

WARCOCK

Banned
You really need to invest a number of hours in the multiplayer to truly comprehend the full potential of the game and WHY it will be remembered and most likely still played online in the next few years. Especially on PC, the superior version. NARF. This one is for the ages, up there with vanilla CS.

KevinCow

Banned
What the hell is up with everyone doing their GotY awards before the end of the year this year? Don't they usually wait until January?

Grayman

KevinCow said:
What the hell is up with everyone doing their GotY awards before the end of the year this year? Don't they usually wait until January?
games are all out and there are last minute christmas shoppers. Advertisers/Pubs will love for the awards to be out right now.

Borys

Banned
KevinCow said:

What's left to be released in the last 2 weeks of December?

Nothing.

KevinCow

Banned
Borys said:
What's left to be released in the last 2 weeks of December?

Nothing.
Sure, but I doubt the people giving these awards have had a chance to play all the big games already released.

Furio53

ummm can anyone answer this:

why the hell would GOTY awards be games for specific consoles and not genres?......

seems pretty absurd to me

Druz

CajoleJuice said:
Call of Duty started on the PC. The original was only released on the PC. And COD3, the only console-only iteration, is known as the bastard child of the series.

Infinity Ward is a PC dev, MOHAA PC only, COD1, COD2 was a port to the 360. COD3 was strictly console, COD4 was joint.

Druz said:
Infinity Ward is a PC dev, MOHAA PC only, COD1, COD2 was a port to the 360. COD3 was strictly console, COD4 was joint.
Thanks for making my point better than me. And IW didn't even make COD3.

Zzoram

Furio53 said:
ummm can anyone answer this:

why the hell would GOTY awards be games for specific consoles and not genres?......

seems pretty absurd to me

buyers guide for people who don't own all the consoles.

i don't agree with most post here. this is probably the GOTY list i agree the mots with, along with what has been published up to now.

I just realised that ps3 top 10 is not good, it's GREAT !

VALIS

The Gamespy Call of Duty 4 Awards.

Best Call of Duty 4 game on the 360: Call of Duty 4
Best Call of Duty 4 game on the PS3: Call of Duty 4
Best Call of Duty 4 game on the PC: Call of Duty 4
Best Overall Call of Duty 4 game: Call of Duty 4
Consolation Prize for Best Non-Call of Duty 4 game: Super Mario Galaxy

nofi

VALIS said:
The Gamespy Call of Duty 4 Awards.

Best Call of Duty 4 game on the 360: Call of Duty 4
Best Call of Duty 4 game on the PS3: Call of Duty 4
Best Call of Duty 4 game on the PC: Call of Duty 4
Best Overall Call of Duty 4 game: Call of Duty 4
Consolation Prize for Best Non-Call of Duty 4 game: Super Mario Galaxy

:lol

It is awesome, though, and a further :lol to anyone hating on single player. It's brilliant.

Chrange

Banned
CajoleJuice said:

Yeah, that's probably because it's console-only...not because it was made by a totally different developer.

sphinx

the piano man
Rorschach said:
Overrated? How does that even make any sense?

Reviewers think that if your game has good multiplayer, a lame ass 5-6 hour long single player campaign is excused and the gates to GOTY awards are wide open. It certainly does not happen the other way around. If your game is a single player and you shoot stuff but it does not have a multiplayer, your game receives 7 - 8 scores in reviews and the reviewer will sure complain that they were UTTERLY disappointment that the developer didn't devout resources to improve or include a multiplayer experience. That is hypocresy.

besides, Bioshock is arguably a better single experience than COD4 is a multiplayer experience, same with Uncharted.

papelnabangka said:

:lol It never ceases to amaze me how some people can be so ignorant, and yet still presume to behave as if they know what they're talking about. Real PC gamers (see: not you) have been playing IW's Call of Duty games for far longer than console gamers; Call of Duty and United Offensive were PC exclusive, and the 360 version of Call of Duty 2 (the first console version of CoD) was ported to the system a month after its PC release.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Not really. It's a pretty generic SP with a lot of crappy stuff/levels and a few good ones. The game is really just a MP game with SP tacked on.
Yep. The single player was nowhere near as good as many other FPS this year. Not even in the same league. The multiplayer is pretty slick, though, but I'd still take Halo 3 over it as the core mechanics are far more interesting and fun.

I can't believe that shit went on to win GOTY in the face of so many other greats. Bioshock? Halo 3? Orange Box? Uncharted? Crysis? Mass Effect? All of those beat the shit out of COD4 (in my humble opinion, of course). You know what? I even felt that GRAW2 and The Darkness featured superior single player campaigns over COD4 (especially GRAW2).

It never ceases to amaze me how some people can be so ignorant, and yet still presume to behave as if they know what they're talking about. Real PC gamers (see: not you) have been playing IW's Call of Duty games for far longer than console gamers; Call of Duty and United Offensive were PC exclusive, and the 360 version of Call of Duty 2 (the first console version of CoD) was ported to the system a month after its PC release.
Furthermore, Medal of Honor Allied Assault was developed by many of the same people (they left to form Infinity Ward). I believe they were even behind the expansion pack for SiN (which was badass in its day). IW and crew have been working on the PC far longer than consoles. Their only consoles games are CoD2 and 4. Everything else is PC...

Top Bottom