• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop: We Can Stay Open During Lockdowns Because We're 'Essential Retail'

ManaByte

giphy.gif

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Hm, a conundrum I see

Digital content or physical?

Can't think of a game that recently has only seen a physical release...
Thay are kind of right. People will be relying on gaming to pass the time in lockdown.

Mental health is just as important as physical. We don't want people going mad with boredom and doing stupid shit.
Birdo, you have a heart? When did you grow one of those?

If they keep being able to break street dates like they did with Eternal they might actually make some money off all this

You would think digital sales would get a push more than ever right now

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Pure insanity from a chain that was likely 6-12 months from insolvency. Just wish they would have one last trade day for xbox controllers then they can close for good......

Shantae

Banned
Man...this makes me really not wanna get animal crossing from them now, but I kinda have no choice :/ paid for with credit, so it's not like I can cancel and get it somewhere else.

kiphalfton

Fuck lamestop. I just wish they would hurry up and go out of business so a new and better chain can rise up and takes its place.

And fuck them. I can order anything i want for less money and have it brought to my house. If you have even the slightest bit of patience you dont need shitstop.

You think gamestop is bad, all the mom n' pop stores where I live charge ridiculous prices for used games. Granted gamestop sucks in that regard, but up until about 6 months ago you could regularly find good deals on used games or retro games (with b2g1 or similar sales).

Well, I agree with staying open, this flu is gonna kill the economy, so good for them for staying open.
But on the other hand, it seems like a desperate move, because it's likely they'll go under soon with or without this corona flu.

This guys doing gods work along with Jason. We need to boycott Gamestop and get these people home and out of these filthy infested stores.

I have Animal Crossing pre ordered with them and I'm thinking of cancelling it except it's in Gamestop Credit, so I imagine that wouldn't actually hurt them? Anybody know for sure? I'm probably just screwing myself if I cancel. Either way I'm done with them after this if they don't shut down or at the very least offer a couple extra weeks paid sick time like the semi decent companies are already doing.

Bottom line is companies like this need to be put on blast. If they aren't doing what is right the people need to come together and make them pay for it.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
That’s funny, I was just reading this story last night, which lead me to these series of articles (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) based on a GameStop employee’s inside stories.

A fascinating clusterfuck.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
You think gamestop is bad, all the mom n' pop stores where I live charge ridiculous prices for used games. Granted gamestop sucks in that regard, but up until about 6 months ago you could regularly find good deals on used games or retro games (with b2g1 or similar sales).
That doesn't really have to do TOO much with Gamestop
It's that games now have collector's value; I can't remember what body popped up and said "Oh no no these need to have a rating system!" but they do now

Mom 'N Pop stores have to charge competitive prices; if you could sell your Mario Kart for $40 instead of $10 bucks, which option would you choose?

kiphalfton

That doesn't really have to do TOO much with Gamestop
It's that games now have collector's value; I can't remember what body popped up and said "Oh no no these need to have a rating system!" but they do now

Mom 'N Pop stores have to charge competitive prices; if you could sell your Mario Kart for $40 instead of $10 bucks, which option would you choose?

Obviously charge more, but all I'm saying is without any sort of deals, what's the incentive to go or buy stuff there. In this case, with mom n' pop stores, I'm not going to buy a game there unless I can't find it anywhere, can't get it on psn/Microsoft store/etc., or there is stupid crazy sentimental/nostalgia value. And even then I would probably just buy it from ebay or amazon, as most these mom n' pop stores don't have websites let alone a website with an inventory tracker. Mainly comes down to convenience.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Obviously charge more, but all I'm saying is without any sort of deals, doesn't matter what store it what's the incentive to go. In this case, with mom n' pop stores, I'm not going to buy a game there unless I can't find it anywhere, can't get it on psn/Microsoft store/etc., or there is stupid crazy sentimental/nostalgia value. And even then I would probably just buy it from ebay or amazon, as most these mom n' pop stores don't have websites let alone a website with an inventory tracker. Mainly comes down to convenience.
My sentiment exactly

I'll go to wherever has the game for the best price.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
right now we are seeing massive impacts on logistics. Amazon warehouses have delays and mail systems are overloaded.

if these stores can stay open they can act as distribution centers, instead of ordering from Amazon and it being super delayed, you can have it delivered from a local location. even if people don't physically go to the store, the inventory at these locations can still be sold.

get Reggie on it! he was in the pizza biz. IMO it's a good thing.

mr.dilya

Banned
The thing is their company is already struggling and they know that if they close stores for an extended period of time it will be curtains for them for sure.

I think at this point that needs to happen. GameStop sucks.

JayK47

So desperate. So pathetic. I wish Game Informer was not part of GameStop. I enjoy Game Informer and I will miss it when they are gone.

Jeeves

I'm not defending the company, but it's such a unique position they're in because we all know Gamestop has one foot in the grave, so they literally cannot afford to cease brick and mortar operations, and they especially can't afford to pay their employees in addition to that.

I bet they're seeing an uptick in sales right now too. For a company as desperate as them, there's no way they're going to let go of that without intervention. It's like a parched traveler finding half a canteen of backwash in a desert.

We're watching them choose between the life of their company and the lives of people.

Last edited:

JayK47

"Due to lack of cleaning supplies, we are limiting the time allowed in the store to 5 minutes"

I'll do better. Zero minutes.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I have no issues with this because if Best Buy is open, GameStop should be open. If one closes, then the other should close. Just hoping Best Buy is open when I go pick up REmake3 and GameStop is open when I go trade it in. lol.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Social distancing won't be a problem at Gamestops, no one goes in them anymore.

But in all seriousness, this is no surprise coming from a company that sells used games as new because they're too cheap to be losing a few bucks on their display copies. They are a horrible horrible company, and the employees are probably working with constant anxiety everyday that someone is gonna cough in their face or hand them infected cash. Just gross.

*Nightwing

This guys doing gods work along with Jason. We need to boycott Gamestop and get these people home and out of these filthy infested stores.

I have Animal Crossing pre ordered with them and I'm thinking of cancelling it except it's in Gamestop Credit, so I imagine that wouldn't actually hurt them? Anybody know for sure? I'm probably just screwing myself if I cancel. Either way I'm done with them after this if they don't shut down or at the very least offer a couple extra weeks paid sick time like the semi decent companies are already doing.

Bottom line is companies like this need to be put on blast. If they aren't doing what is right the people need to come together and make them pay for it.

Positive one of the managers on that call recorded was one of my old guys I hired over 10 years ago and lost touch with. Wish I could tell him to run and I'm sorry I ever got him involved in working for them
giphy.gif

I know pretty much any gamer out there knows gamestop/Eb are scum but this reaches whole other levels to the point where it doesn't even seem real.

They're just staying open because business is booming and they're putting their employees and customers at risk. Forget shutting down, they aren't even buying cleaning supplies because it's going to cut into their profit margins. Someone attempts to shut them down due to them obviously putting people at risk? They respond by suing. What in the actual fuck is this.

That conference call is wild. They admit at the end the employees are forced to work in this dangerous environment and they won't even help them out with pay in the event of a closure. I don't think there's a word to describe how sociopathic that is.

It reminds me of "Last Exit to Springfield" when they are watching the McBain movie and Bart asks Homer if anyone that evil exists in the real world before cutting to Mr. Burns. It's so cartoonish and over the top yet it seems to be reality.

They can't go out of business fast enough. Is Reggie cool with this? Goddamn this is something else.

Roxkis_ii

Gamestop staying open during a pandemic of a infectious virus in such a small space that most their stores are, should be crimal.

Gamestop deserves to fail, and someone should get jailed or sued.

This is completely unacceptable. My condolences to anyone forced to still work there.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Well if they are going to close anyhow, and you dont want to be at risk but dont want to quit, maybe they could call in sick?

Either they are the farthest thing from an essential service store.

Enjay

Banned
:messenger_tears_of_joy:They aren't being forced to work at gunpoint. Same thing with anyone who chooses to go in there and buy a game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom