• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop: We Can Stay Open During Lockdowns Because We're 'Essential Retail'

Vawn

Banned
I think the no pay part is expected and would have been fine. The problem is they kept stores open purely for profit and put people at risk, while also telling their employees that they would not be compensated in anyway for doing that.

I agree with that. They have no reason to be open. But I do kind of feel for them. Closing stores for a couple weeks or months could put them completely under and everyone out of a career/job.

I agree with that. They have no reason to be open. But I do kind of feel for them. Closing stores for a couple weeks or months could put them completely under and everyone out of a career/job.

I get that as well, but let's face it, they're a sinking ship and would be forced to go out of business anyway. So the only people profiting from this right now would be corporate. They get to squeeze a few more bucks out of this while the employees get nothing except being put in danger for less than $100 a day (assuming they work an 8 hour shift, depends on what minimum wage is etc....)

All the corporate guys will land on their feet no problem with other companies, so this is not life and death for them. It could be life and death for the employees/customers though. If these guys want to stay open so bad they should be the ones running the stores.

How can anyone feel sorry for a company that is willing to sacrifice lives of not only their employees, but also people close like family and friends (who may be elderly or sick) as a carrier, for an extra buck or two? Like Rock And Roll said, corporate are the ones making millions in the comfy of their homes, not in the front lines dealing with the virus. They're not giving their employees much choice here, either risk catching the virus or lose their jobs. Put yourself in their shoes before feeling sorry for gamestop, they deserve to sink after this!

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
I was able to pick up a used No More Heroes Heroes Paradise for PS3 yesterday at one. Had the case and everything (I was shocked) Thankful to them for that I've been looking to play NMH for a while.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
GameStop is going to deliver to your car instead. Buy online and they’ll have an associate meet you outside.

882-BF269-F4-A3-4-E13-8-BF9-21-E98-BE7-CE2-A.png

Last edited:
So the actual reason why is because Gamespot sends and receives packaging at some locations making them a CMA and they have communication sales for businesses, and cell phones through their partnership with phone companies including cricket which all meet the criteria for essential.

This is also why many office and closed commercial buildings ae still open.

*Nightwing

So the actual reason why is because Gamespot sends and receives packaging at some locations making them a CMA and they have communication sales for businesses, and cell phones through their partnership with phone companies including cricket which all meet the criteria for essential.

This is also why many office and closed commercial buildings ae still open.
That's the bullshit excuse they are spouting, the reason is actually they are greedy fucks whom value precived economic prosperity over human life and wellbeing.

That's the bullshit excuse they are spouting, the reason is actually they are greedy fucks whom value precived economic prosperity over human life and wellbeing.

It's a legal excuse and I think GS employees would rather get paid then lose their jobs. It's not that bad anyway, they have the store itself closed they only do curbside pickup.

*Nightwing

It's a legal excuse and I think GS employees would rather get paid then lose their jobs. It's not that bad anyway, they have the store itself closed they only do curbside pickup.
Words mean things and are specific. It is a manufacured excuse with no legal merit nor precedence per the only 2 states to challenge them thus far which are California and Massachusetts. GS are 0 - 2 on that "legal" excuse.

I agree with the sentiment about the workers but as a society with rules and regulations you do not let the victims of sexual trafficking continue to prostitute themselves when the pimp ring is taken down becouse they don't have other jobs to go to (super dramatic example I know not to mention the only clearly illegal thing GS is doing is remaining open). The issue with the employees is the system itself which isn't perfect, but allowed GS to exploit employees on a consistent basis. And still that is not an excuse to allow them to be categorized as something they are not: an essential business to remain open for the public.

Words mean things and are specific. It is a manufacured excuse with no legal merit nor precedence per the only 2 states to challenge them thus far which are California and Massachusetts. GS are 0 - 2 on that "legal" excuse.

Gamestop is open in nearly every shutdown state right now because of the legality of the excuse in most states, you don't know what you're talking about.

saintjules

Gamestop is open in nearly every shutdown state right now because of the legality of the excuse in most states, you don't know what you're talking about.

I could be wrong, but none of the Long Island locations for example are open. When I got the email to get the virtual card, it wouldn't give me the option to do curbside pickup for my pre-order at the store. They instead just direct the credit/money to the card and then you can order online for it to be shipped to you.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
GS got ripped off.

If places like fast food joints and Tim Hortons can be allowed to stay open and do drive through or pick up, GS should be able to too and other stores.

There is no way junk food shops should be classified as essential services allowed to stay open.

There's a KFC a 2 min drive away that allowed online orders to be pick up in the store. wtf?

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but none of the Long Island locations for example are open.

I don't recall saying every state, I recall saying nearly.

I also find it disingenuous you would bring up new york in this conversation which is the most locked down state in the union.

*Nightwing

Ha! Well wish you the best and thanks for responding. I'll cease wasting my time and let others waste thiers providing substantial arguments to your empty words. Take care
I could be wrong, but none of the Long Island locations for example are open. When I got the email to get the virtual card, it wouldn't give me the option to do curbside pickup for my pre-order at the store. They instead just direct the credit/money to the card and then you can order online for it to be shipped to you.

Metnut

The curbside pickup option for GameStop seems like a really reasonable compromise.

No one allowed in the store other than employees. Protects employees and customers and people can still get their entertainment whole social distancing.

Top Bottom