• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers Shane Satterfield Says Assassins Creed 3 Looks Best On Wii U

Sid

I don't understand why people are complaining.

Would you prefer if the game didn't look better on superior hardware?

Props to Ubisoft for putting extra effort and giving us the definitive console version. Options are nice to have when purchasing multiplats.
Yeah i think the thread title should be changed to 'ac3 on wiiu is the best looking console version'

pramath

Banned
I just posted the title of the article.

It clearly says in the article he's comparing it to the console versions not PC.

lol k. My point was that your sarcasm against gaming PC ownership isn't really relevant when nobody even owns a Wii U yet. The Wii U is not somehow more relevant than the PC as a platform.

the best on pc comment is never relevant. Most games are best on a good pc. Who the fuck doesn't know that?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Not quite sure why people are surprised that AC3 Wii U looks better than AC3 PC...
It's not going to look better than a completely maxed out PC version though. Satterfield probably didn't check out the PC build yet and was just comparing the console versions.

I'm more interested in the Wii U version because I'm curious to see what they've done with the controller. If it's a competent port then that's just a bonus.

cakefoo

I wish people would stop saying stuff like this. I mean yes, it's been obvious for a long time that it would be a more powerful console, but there are hordes of people who think that multiplat games are going to look roughly identical on WiiU to the PS360. Making new threads every time more proof of this appears is the only way we're going to squash this idiocy.
So anyone who doesn't acknowledge that the Wii U versions will look CONSIDERABLY better than PS360 is an idiot?

pramath

Banned
To be fair, he never said anything about the PC versions being superior. He simply said the WiiU version looked the best.

Mxrz

I don't understand why people are complaining.

Would you prefer if the game didn't look better on superior hardware?

Props to Ubisoft for putting extra effort and giving us the definitive console version. Options are nice to have when purchasing multiplats.
Because this fella has said silly things before, and its all just pointless speculation with no media to back it up. The thread itself just comes off as some kind of reassurance, which is weird when the console isn't even out yet. Should the game look better? Yes. Is it a big deal if it does? No. Hence all the really, better than 6 year old hardware, you don't say.

thuway

What makes you think the Wii U version won't do all that as well? Most of the stuff we've seen on Wii U so far looks on par, or better than the best looking PC games on the market right now.

Not quite sure why people are surprised that AC3 Wii U looks better than AC3 PC...

:-o...

Eideka

Banned
He's referring to the three version he saw : PS3, 360 and Wii U.

He never said the PC version won't look better....because he has not seen this build yet !

pramath

Banned
Their title for the article is purposefully misleading. GT likes to conveniently forget that PC gaming exists in a big way.

I think we're reading into things too much here. I didn't post that the game looks best on WiiU, I posted that a gametrailers editor said it did, which he did. No mention of PC.

cakefoo

Most of the stuff we've seen on Wii U so far looks on par, or better than the best looking PC games on the market right now.
Assuming the 360 and PS3 versions run at 30fps and 720p, you're suggesting that teh Wii will like for seriously, no duh, easily render 2x the framerate AND at 2x the resolution?
What part of "all three versions" flew over your head?

He never said the PC version won't look better....because he has not seen this build yet !
But..

tHwrM.jpg

Sid

I think we're reading into things too much here. I didn't post that the game looks best on WiiU, I posted that a gametrailers editor said it did, which he did. No mention of PC.
You never said it but the thread title implied it,it's a bit misleading imo

Eideka

Banned
I must admit I'm pretty surprised by the reactions.....Wasn't it obvious right from the start that the Wii U will have the best looking console version ?

It has more powerful hardware and releases in 2012....

Sid

I must admit I'm pretty surprised by the reactions.....Wasn't it obvious right from the start that the Wii U will have the best looking console version ?

I think most people were expecting a straight up 360 port since nothing on the wiiu looks better than ps360 games

pramath

Banned

No not at all.

Most people assumed that developers would just give the WiiU quick and dirty ports from what I have seen... regardless of the extra power.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Even if it's not much, I wonder if the internet will keep its sanity for a full year with games playing AND looking best on a Nintendo console.

Sid

Even if it's not much, I wonder if the internet will keep its sanity for a full year with games playing AND looking best on a Nintendo console.
I think if they own a pc they would rather game on that if they only want the best looking version

Perkel

Banned
Most of the stuff we've seen on Wii U so far looks on par, or better than the best looking PC games on the market right now.

Most of stuff we saw was 720p without AA or it was looking not that much better than PS3 or X360.

Only zelda tech demo showed something in 720p with no aa. Still it was tech demo.

Eideka

Banned
No not at all.

Most people assumed that developers would just give the WiiU quick and dirty ports from what I have seen... regardless of the extra power.

Admittedly I've never really paid attention to the reactions in a Wii U thread on Neogaf, I did not know this frame of mind regarding the Wii U was so prevalent.

I can see the Wii U version being really close to the PC one, textures/models/geomtry will be pretty much the same. It might even have DX11 effects, I think I read somewhere that the console has a tesselation unit.

I doubt it will run in 1080p though.

Mr. F

Banned
AC III looks good to me in general, I'm ok with finishing the trilogy on the 360 even if the WiiU version looks a bit better.

demolitio

What makes you think the Wii U version won't do all that as well? Most of the stuff we've seen on Wii U so far looks on par, or better than the best looking PC games on the market right now.

One can only hope that you're being sarcastic here. I don't know who's been showing you PC gaming but it had to be on a low-end system to come up with THAT conclusion. I mean, I know some people like to support products to the extreme, but you'd really have to ignore all PC games, videos, information, etc. to come up with what you said.

That's not knocking the Wii U to say the PC version looks better because it's completely EXPECTED. It's also expected to look better than PS3 and 360 on the Wii U but some people need confirmation that developers and publishers are willing to put in a little more effort to do that. That, however, doesn't mean it will beat the PC in ANY way besides offering another unique control scheme and features that Nintendo usually brings.

It's nothing against the Wii U, but as you can see by the reactions here, everyone knows PC will look better but it's never in the comparisons of games since they usually analyze the console versions. Why? Because it's pointless comparing PC to consoles when everyone knows the outcome.

Man, people love going to the extreme sometimes. The Wii U will either be a piece of NASA technology for cheap that will blow everything away or it completely sucks and won't match other current gen consoles. Apparently people have to choose sides in this pointless battle of...THE CONSOLE WARS! *Need theme song here*

I'm more interested in the unique features they can bring with the controller and whether developers jump on board to make games catered to it. I want it to succeed even if it isn't exactly what I expected, but the idea of playing a game just to be interrupted by people wanting to watch a movie and then being able to switch over and just play on the tablet's screen is amazing to me. I don't know what first-hand impressions are of the screen and how good it looks on there besides knowing the resolution from the spec sheets. I'm still undecided and online is what determines if I buy it within a year of launch or not. I might just wait until the BIG exclusives come out that we all expect the years following its launch.

Eideka

Banned
You'd be surprised how many people around here expect Wii U to be (at times) even worse than 360/PS3, with arguments like "New physics engine doesn't run on Wii U ? Lol, 2006 hardware.".

They are probably underwhelmed by the first wave of Wii U titles even if those clearly don't take advantage of this new hardware.
As for myself the only thing that would surprise me regarding the Wii U is multiplat games running at 1080p.

Fairly meaningless. Probably placebo effect, even. He thinks the Wii U is supposed to be more powerful, so the Wii U version magically looks better to him.

Second, he's a games editor and many of them know almost nothing about graphics.

It could be the case, we'll see, but this is awfully flimsy.

A full year...not even. By E3 2013 we'll all be drooling over Durango (and probably Orbis) footage. That's June obviously.

That's if significant stuff doesn't start leaking or being shown between Jan 1 2013 and E3. Which it probably will imo.

StuBurns

Banned
No not at all.

I still assume that. I just assume it's very easy to make it run better than on very old architecture.

Dantis

Shane has a lot of gaming knowledge, but I've never gotten the impression that he knows a ton about graphics. Why is everyone so bothered by him saying this?

Okay crazy dude that said it'd look better than the PC version.

You will either get 720p at 60fps with no AA, 1080p at 30fps with no AA, 720p 30fps with AA or 720p 30fps no AA with a few DX11 equivalent features.

Those are your best options.

Best.

The most likely scenario is whatever the PS3 or 360 run at. Maybe with a few higher res textures.

Spinluck

If it isn't a jaggy mess, and runs at 1080p with a decent amount of AA and at 60fps.

I will buy it on Wii-U along with Darksiders 2, Sonic & All-Stars Racing, and Pikmin 3.

Book it.

If it isn't a jaggy mess, and runs at 1080p with a decent amount of AA and at 60fps.

I will buy it on Wii-U along with Darksiders 2, Sonic & All-Stars Racing, and Pikmin 3.

Book it.

That alone would require >2X the power to run at 1080, another 2X to run at 60...

Just how powerful do you think the Wii U is?

The above is why I scoff at people like Carmack who think we have plenty of power already. You need 4X+ just to run todays games at 1080/60 with no improvements to the graphics whatsoever

Top Bottom