• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers Shane Satterfield Says Assassins Creed 3 Looks Best On Wii U

pramath

Banned
The E3 demo of Assassins Creed 3 on Wii U had sharper texture filtering and sharper shadows than the PS3 version.

Did you get to see it in person?

That's the impression I got from E3 comparison videos. It looked noticeably clearer on the Wii U than the other PS3 E3 demo running.

That alone would require >2X the power to run at 1080, another 2X to run at 60...

Just how powerful do you think the Wii U is?
Just shy of your arbitrary number figures myself.
The above is why I scoff at people like Carmack who think we have plenty of power already. You need 4X+ just to run todays games at 1080/60 with no improvements to the graphics whatsoever
The reason he probably feels that way is he doubts console developers will push the envelope any higher than 720p/30fps.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think that's a nice bonus for anyone who was already getting a Wii-U.

But would many buy a Wii-U primarily because of this?

As much as I get that people want to correct impressions that Wii-U might be less powerful than PS3 or 360, it's chasing a less important point. Wii-U doesn't need better multiplat games to improve confidence in its next-gen credentials. It needs next-gen games.

pramath

Banned
I think that's a nice bonus for anyone who was already getting a Wii-U.

But would many buy a Wii-U primarily because of this?

As much as I get that people want to correct impressions that Wii-U might be less powerful than PS3 or 360, it's chasing a less important point. Wii-U doesn't need better multiplat games to improve confidence in its next-gen credentials. It needs next-gen games.

At the end of the day, like with PC, better multiplats are all we can hope for until third parties opt to put their next gen titles on the market. This won't happen until all three consoles are on the market.

A full year...not even. By E3 2013 we'll all be drooling over Durango (and probably Orbis) footage. That's June obviously.

That's if significant stuff doesn't start leaking or being shown between Jan 1 2013 and E3. Which it probably will imo.

Aaaaaand bookmarked.

Please continue to HYPE DA SHIT out of Durango/Orbis :)

Taurus

Shocking. New hardware better than 7 year old hardware. What's next. PC version even better...
Looks better than on consoles than came out in 05 and 06? You don't say.
So now it is obvious? Go back to threads where people were arguing few months ago that WiiU would be considerably behind even PS3/X360.

Wasn't there recently, like this week, a Gaffer who argued that WiiU is closer to Wii than PS3/X360 in some of the WiiU threads? So this isn't so obvious to everyone.

Check out few first replies here: http://www.stage.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=39780648
And here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=482329

Hex

Banned
We really need a thread that says "Wii U is ok, really these people say so".
It is great that these people think so, and since the system is coming six years after the others and with newer hardware i would think it would be rather embarrassing if it did not look better but a new thread every time?

So now it is obvious? Go back to threads where people were arguing few months ago that WiiU would be considerably behind even PS3/X360.

No, many people are saying that it will not be a real step up from the current systems.
Comparing it to the PS3 and 360 is a nice diversion anyway, considering that Microsoft and Sony will both be dropping new hardware soon.
Just enjoy the system if you want it.

pramath

Banned
We really need a thread that says "Wii U is ok, really these people say so".
It is great that these people think so, and since the system is coming six years after the others and with newer hardware i would think it would be rather embarrassing if it did not look better but a new thread every time?

Once again, it's not really significant that Wii U is technically superior to the other consoles, rather that Ubisoft is taking advantage of it. I and many others thought they would have they would have stuck by MS and Sony and done the bare minimum for the Wii U audience, but that appears not the case.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
At the end of the day, like with PC, better multiplats are all we can hope for until third parties opt to put their next gen titles on the market. This won't happen until all three consoles are on the market.

Then Nintendo has done a really bad job pushing their system as a next-gen flag bearer.

I can't think of a previous 'first mover' that didn't have at least a few third party games from the off that weren't on prior platforms and that looked (reasonably) the part - and moreover, some kind of visibility of such titles going into the future. Nintendo's offering nothing. Even Sega made a then more convincing argument for Dreamcast as a next-gen contender than Nintendo is with Wii-U.

If we have to wait for the other consoles, won't people...wait for the other consoles? That's Nintendo's big problem. Not convincing people their system can add a bit more spit and polish to PS3 and 360 games...that's a minor, almost irrelevant concern.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
What makes you think the Wii U version won't do all that as well? Most of the stuff we've seen on Wii U so far looks on par, or better than the best looking PC games on the market right now.

Not quite sure why people are surprised that AC3 Wii U looks better than AC3 PC...
wat

Don't you guys ever step outside of here? 95% of the interweb have confirmed AC3 WiiU will run nativity at 1080p 60fps. It's all hinged on what a Nintendo rep said to some random member of the public, a mynintenonews report, Toki Tori 2 2D title being confirmed 1080p, and a couple of ReviewTechUsa YouTube videos.... Come on guys, catch up.

If that happens, great, amazing in fact. But on this occasion I honestly cannot wait for the game to be confirmed at 720p so that 95% of the interweb can be confirmed as native high definition stupid.

pramath

Banned
Then Nintendo has done a really bad job pushing their system as a next-gen flag bearer.

I can't think of a previous 'first mover' that didn't have at least a few third party games from the off that weren't on prior platforms and that looked (reasonably) the part - and moreover, a good vision of such titles going into the future. Nintendo's offering nothing. Even Sega made a then more convincing argument for Dreamcast than Nintendo is with Wii-U.

If we have to wait for the other consoles, won't people...wait for the other consoles? That's Nintendo's big problem. Not convincing people their system can add a bit more spit and polish to PS3 and 360 games.

Times have changed. No third party is going to break the bank pushing the Wii U or any individual platform to the limit in these troubled times for third parties. I don't even see any devs doing that for PC anymore, it stopped with Crysis circa 2007. This is very much the age of the multiplat.

However, I do believe we will see Nintendo release some beautiful first party titles before the other consoles are released.

Eideka

Banned
To be honest I dont think it'll look that much better, its still the same resolution and framerate.

We don't know this. AC 3 on Wii U running at 1080p/30FPS or 720p/60FPS is not beyond the realms of possibility.

I don't even see any devs doing that for PC anymore
Crytek, DICE still push the envelope on PC, along with 4A Games with Metro Last light.
And a good number of developpers take care of their PC versions, and add stuff like Physx for instance.

Yes, there are developpers who take advantage of the powerful PC harware, no matter how you twist it.

The Wii U is Nintendo's first step into the HD realm, so it's obviously going to blow away the competition.
Blow away? 'Blow away the competition' is reserved for things like the difference between PS360 and Wii visuals. Wii U visuals certainly do not blow away the competition.

The more they succeed on positioning Wii U as a better console compared to PS3/360 because the graphical edge, inevitably, the more they will cement the general expectation that graphical advantage is a really important factor in choosing your console; and in two years, this will come back and haunt them very very seriously.

So I would say Nintendo is refusing to play in a game that they will lose sooner than later. Instead, they are going to position Wii U versions as the best one solely because of the extra gameplay features; an advantage that is most probably going to serve them even after PS4/Nextbox is released.

Crytek, DICE still push the envelope on PC, along with 4A Games with Metro Last light.
And a good number of developpers take care of their PC versions, and add stuff like Physx for instance.

Yes, there are developpers who take advantage of the powerful PC harware, no matter how you twist it.
Are they? At least to my untrained eyes, the graphical leap from Far Cry to Crysis [in the span of 3 years] is much more noticeable than the one from Crysis to Crysis 3 [in the span of 5 ]

Blow away? 'Blow away the competition' is reserved for things like the difference between PS360 and Wii visuals. Wii U visuals certainly do not blow away the competition.
The overall package is similar, but with a title like Arkham City the WiiU version is pushing quite a few more pixels/polygons than either the PS3 or 360 versions at similar fidelity. (it's outputting full 3D scenes to two separate screens) I don't know if I'd call that blowing them away, but it's undeniable that the system has quite a bit more "oomph".

StuBurns

Banned
"Blowing away" is such a subjective term. If PS360 to WiiU in the ball park of PS2 to Xbox 1, I'd say that's blowing them away.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wii-U doesn't need better multiplat games to improve confidence in its next-gen credentials. It needs next-gen games.
What Wii U needs is to be the most appealing entertainment system. It will need Nintendo games obviously, 3rd party party exclusives ((a la Ubisoft) and multiplat games playing better with the GamePad features.

People really wanting next gen games will buy a PC/PS4/x720 and get Wii U at their second system at best.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Times have changed. No third party is going to break the bank pushing the Wii U or any individual platform to the limit in these troubled times for third parties.

I don't think either MS or Sony would launch a console if pubs weren't prepared to offer it fresh, 'next-generation' content. They would wait until they were. I'm not talking about content that 'pushes the systems to the limit'. But something that says 'yeah, i'm a next-gen console, and third parties are treating me as such'.

And you don't think Sega and MS had work their butts off in the prior generations to get third parties to take a punt on their next systems as the only game in town for a year or so? Of course they did. I can't shake the feeling Nintendo hasn't made the same effort.

Bottom line, it's shocking to me that we're in a situation where Wii U fans are bargaining over better looking 'last-gen' games, rather than - even - bargaining over whether its new third party games are next gen enough. This time 18 months ago I would figured THAT would be what the message boards would be inflamed about - whether the new Wii-U games were 'next gen enough' ala the great Dreamcast debates.

Instead this is the kind of argument we're having. It's incredibly unexciting. Nintendo is reduced to arguing that games like Batman are totally new. If I was Reggie or Iwata I'd be completely embarrassed for myself and my fans. I hope at TGS or pre-launch they have a completely new content vision for people to rally around and get excited by.

I don't think either MS or Sony would launch a console if pubs weren't prepared to offer it fresh, 'next-generation' content. They would wait until they were. I'm not talking about content that 'pushes the systems to the limit'. But something that says 'yeah, i'm a next-gen console, and third parties are treating me as such'.

And you don't think Sega and MS had work their butts off in the prior generations to get third parties to take a punt on their next systems as the only game in town for a year or so? Of course they did. I can't shake the feeling Nintendo hasn't made the same effort.

Bottom line, it's shocking to me that we're in a situation where Wii U fans are bargaining over better looking 'last-gen' games, rather than - even - bargaining over whether its new third party games are next gen enough. This time 18 months ago I would figured THAT would be what the message boards would be inflamed about - whether the new Wii-U games were 'next gen enough' ala the great Dreamcast debates.

Instead this is the kind of argument we're having. It's incredibly unexciting. Nintendo is reduced to arguing that games like Batman are totally new. If I was Reggie or Iwata I'd be completely embarrassed for myself and my fans. I hope at TGS or pre-launch they have a completely new content vision for people to rally around and get excited by.

I actually agree with the majority of this.

Even just saying "Oh yeah we get Watch_Dogs next year too." could have shifted quite a few perceptions of the console.

nubbe

That alone would require >2X the power to run at 1080, another 2X to run at 60...

Just how powerful do you think the Wii U is?

The above is why I scoff at people like Carmack who think we have plenty of power already. You need 4X+ just to run todays games at 1080/60 with no improvements to the graphics whatsoever

When you have 4x the power you push more geometry, effects and stuff like that.

you are delusional if you think developers will stay at the current visual level and just be satisfied with higher resolution output and more Anti Aliasing...

high profiles games will never got beyond 720p 30fps

PS4 and 720 games will in fact probably be SUB 720p resolution to add even more special effects and geometry.

pramath

Banned

I don't think MS or Sony make their decisions based on any set criteria. They just do whatever they feel is necessary to sell their consoles. In this day and age I don't see any third party releasing large budget exclusives for any console. It simply doesn't happen anymore thus it's useless to bring up things that happened in generations past. If it were to happen very large money hats would be involved.

Eideka

Banned
I'd wager it's more likely than 1080p 30fps.

I want to understand something : what has led you guys to believe next-gen consoles will be underpowered to this extent ?

This is boggling my mind, they are not likely to rival high-end PCs of 2012 okay (although I hope they do) but it does not mean they won't provide a proper graphical leap.
As a result I don't see why the vast majority of next-gen console games could not run natively at 1080p.

Am I being overly optimistic ? Is this supposed to be unthinkable ?

Edit : And I'm a PC gamer. Underpowered consoles would benefit no one. I don't even know if I'm going to purchase one, but I want them to be as powerful as possible.

nubbe

the framebuffer for 720p cost a lot of memory... which could be spent on AI and other stuff with has a better direct impact on the game, that resolution

I want to understand something : what has led you guys to believe next-gen consoles will be underpowered to this extent ?

This is boggling my mind, they are not likely to rival high-end PCs of 2012 but it does not mean they won't provide a decent graphical leap.
As a result I don't see why the vast majority of next-gen console games could not run natively at 1080p.

I don't think they'll be weak.

I just don't think the initiative will be there. Not when you can just shoot for the fewest amount of pixels necessary. Free up resources to approximate whatever new impossible lighting technique they want to try.

Eideka

Banned
I don't think they'll be weak.

I just don't think the initiative will be there. Not when you can just shoot for the fewest amount of pixels necessary. Free up resources to approximate whatever new impossible lighting technique they want to try.

Same applies to the 30/60 fps debate, I don't blame them for aiming for 30fps and push more graphical effects.

But something like 1280*1080 should be the bare minimum for next-gen games.
Or resolution does not matter to a huge majority of console owners, to each his own.

Ein Bear

This is boggling my mind, they are not likely to rival high-end PCs of 2012 okay (although I hope they do) but it does not mean they won't provide a proper graphical leap.

Edit : And I'm a PC gamer. Underpowered consoles would benefit no one. I don't even know if I'm going to purchase one, but I want them to be as powerful as possible.

I'm suprised at this too, if anything I'm expecting the next Playstation/Xbox to be an even bigger leap than usual, simply by virtue of this generation having gone on so long.

hey!
nintendo hardware is overperforming the other consoles with a game?!
say what...
somebody didn't exactly get the fact that NEXT gen nintendo is performing better than PREVIOUS sony/ms gen...
So unless it performs better by a FAIR margin, this isn't really expected for I expect a new piece of hardware to outperform previous gen, no matter what..
If it ain't the case let's just say that they've no previous experience on wiiu, whilst they've coded aplenty for ps360 so they're capable of optimize a lot, while they can't do the same on nin new console :X
but enough console war :X

Same applies to the 30/60 fps debate, I don't blame them for aiming for 30fps and push more graphical effects.

But something like 1280*1080 should be the bare minimum for next-gen games.
Or resolution does not matter to a huge majority of console owners, to each his own.
I'd personally be fine with 720p 60fps with tons of AA. Keep asset fidelity similar to this gen, just up variety, and high precision GI in every game.

That would keep costs comparable and should look fucking snazzy as hell. Toss Cryteks new PADM on and you've got some visual stunners.

This is the same guy who was overhyping Wii U lineup before E3....he also used to post on neogaf a long time back. Guy is a complete fanboy.

Not trying to deflate the hype or anything, I am sure Assassin's Creed 3 will look great on Wii U, especially since Zombie U looks great already.

AntMurda

This is the same guy who was overhyping Wii U lineup before E3....he also used to post on neogaf a long time back. Guy is a complete fanboy.

Not trying to deflate the hype or anything, I am sure Assassin's Creed 3 will look great on Wii U, especially since Zombie U looks great already.

Shane Satterfield is not a "Nintendo fanboy" at all. And he wasn't overhyping anything, all he mentioned was that the line up was starting to look real good which included some games that have not been announced yet.

I like how the PC fans always come into gfx comparison threads, noses upturned, regurgitating the same off topic crap, no matter how irrelevant to subject. Oh how wonderful life is on their respective gaming platform of choice.

No one gives a shit guys, your PC may be all that, but 99% of the established PCs out there are inferior gaming platforms to the current consoles. By that virtue, games overall look worse on the PC platform by a landslide.

With some luck, a new gen of consoles will put more scraps on the PC table if portability becomes less of an obstacle. Once again, to be enjoyed by an even smaller minority till the baseline shifts over time.

Shane Satterfield is not a "Nintendo fanboy" at all. And he wasn't overhyping anything, all he mentioned was that the line up was starting to look real good which included some games that have not been announced yet.

He used to be a Xbox fanboy back when he posted on neogaf, regardless of that, he is a terrible journalist. I wouldn't take his word on anything.

Ass Creed 3 will look great on Wii U because Ubisoft's tech teams have been working hard over the last two years.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Nintendo is reduced to arguing that games like Batman are totally new. If I was Reggie or Iwata I'd be completely embarrassed for myself and my fans.
Batman seems to be the most unispired port on Wii U. I can see why you used this example, but there are also clever ports such as Fifa, or Zombi U, which is bringing something new to an old genre. Then there's the big focus on multiplayer games. And we still have to see how much competitive Miiverse will make games. Seeing Nintendo "reduced" to do defend a Batman port in its lineup and generalising upon it, is missing what is new and now better on Wii U.

I'm suprised at this too, if anything I'm expecting the next Playstation/Xbox to be an even bigger leap than usual, simply by virtue of this generation having gone on so long.

How do you define a leap? By resolution only? Then you will by disappointed. 720p is a very good resolution, graphics will look much better if devs focus on improved effects / lighting / textures etc. instead of a resolution bump, which most would not even notice. Would you rather have a Battlefield 4 with 1080p and low/mid details or with 720p and ultra details? I prefer the latter.

Ein Bear

Gemüsepizza;40902481 said:
How do you define a leap? By resolution only? Then you will by disappointed. 720p is a very good resolution, graphics will look much better if devs focus on improved effects / lighting / textures etc. instead of a resolution bump, which most would not even notice. Would you rather have a Battlefield 4 with 1080p and low/mid details or with 720p and ultra details? I prefer the latter.

I don't see why it has to be a choice between the two instead of having both. There was six years between the PS2 and PS3, and the latter managed to have both a huge boost in resolution as well as vastly better graphics. 7/8 years on from PS3, I'm expecting the same thing.

Hell, resolutions have increased with every new generation of hardware, wouldn't the PS4/Xbox 3 be the first new consoles to ever not have a resolution bump if they stuck at 720p?

Top Bottom