• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamexplain: Nintendo finally beats out Wii as Best Selling console

Michele

you.

TLDR: Nintendo Switch has finally beaten Wii's best selling console amounts, it seems.

And peoples were saying that the shares and sales already dropped.

PS. I learned about that thread below, which says 'Switch is doomed' and has to do with shares. Despite having a link to proof, this statement is not true.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Hell, even I just bought one yesterday lol, and I'm still not a huge fan of it's current library. I just couldn't pass up the Diablo bundle.

Last edited:

Xenon

I finally caved as well. I've only used in portable mode but so far its a nice piece of hardware. Accessories are ridiculously over priced though.

Mr Hyde

Nintendo really nailed it with the hybrid concept. The marketing and messaging is crystal clear which makes it attractive for the customers. I think 2019 is going to be huge for Switch, with a first, second and third party blow out.

AlexxKidd

Title is super misleading. Hopefully the revision turns out well so I can add to the total.

That title is - dare I say - deliberately misleading. Unless they had a bigger Black Friday than I thought, something to the tune of 80 million units.

CatCouch

While the topic title is not even close to true it is great to see the Switch selling well! Over 8 million in America and some number higher than 22.6 million global is wonderful news. Can't wait to see how much Pokemon Let's GO and Smash Ultimate help. I'm loving Let's Go so far, it's not a full new game but it's a nice step towards next years surely awesome game!

Iaterain

I don't respect gamexplain channel. They are close-minded paid-shills, who covers only nintendo related news, like the rest of the gaming industry doesn't exist. Despite its title "GAMExplain" isn't a gaming channel it is nintendo worship and propaganda channel.

Last edited:

Mozza

I hate gamexplain channel. They are close-minded paid-shills, who covers only nintendo related news, like the rest of the gaming industry doesn't exist. Despite its title "GAMExplain" isn't a gaming channel it is nintendo worship and propaganda channel.

I always think hate is a strong word for what amounts to a simple dislike of something.

blackjon24

I hate gamexplain channel. They are close-minded paid-shills, who covers only nintendo related news, like the rest of the gaming industry doesn't exist. Despite its title "GAMExplain" isn't a gaming channel it is nintendo worship and propaganda channel.

I don’t mind the guys there but I guarantee you they will be working at Nintendo in the next few years

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Wow talk about a misleading title.

Should be “Switch’s best week was better than Wii’s best week”.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
The console is doing really well! 2017 was outstanding but 2018 was a bit slow. However, we now have Pokemon out and I've noticed a lot of people buying a Switch now because of it. Of course then Smash is coming out soon and there are really exciting titles to look forward to in 2019 with Animal Crossing + Pokemon.

The only game you need anyway
lmao i doubt many people are buying a Switch just for Diablo 3.

Meesh

Pretty mind blowing really... I remember when people were saying Nintendo caught lightening in a bottle with Wii. But here we have the Switch! How many times can Nintendo "fluke out"?

For all their faults, they tend to do a surprising job! Curious to see momentum through out the holiday and I wonder what kind of things they've got in store.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The console is doing really well! 2017 was outstanding but 2018 was a bit slow. However, we now have Pokemon out and I've noticed a lot of people buying a Switch now because of it. Of course then Smash is coming out soon and there are really exciting titles to look forward to in 2019 with Animal Crossing + Pokemon.

lmao i doubt many people are buying a Switch just for Diablo 3.
LMAO i know 3 of them

TLZ

Banned
That GameXplain guy sounds like goofy.

And seriously what's up with the very misleading title?

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Pretty mind blowing really... I remember when people were saying Nintendo caught lightening in a bottle with Wii. But here we have the Switch! How many times can Nintendo "fluke out"?

For all their faults, they tend to do a surprising job! Curious to see momentum through out the holiday and I wonder what kind of things they've got in store.

As its a handheld + console, you should also merge these numbers really. Just console numbers makes no sense.

If you add wii+ds numbers with far bigger gaming market, it's not that impressive even if it did beat the wii numbers.

Last edited:

Meesh

As its a handheld + console, you should also merge these numbers really. Just console numbers makes no sense.

If you add wii+ds numbers with far bigger gaming market, it's not that impressive even if it did beat the wii numbers.
I think this goes back to the old, "is it a hand held or console" question. Really though, they still have a dedicated handheld in 2ds/3ds so I'm not sure I agree. My line of thinking is Switch is it's own beast, like the Wii, so it's not so cut and dry comparing previous Nintendo console sales. It's the first of its kind and not so long ago my understanding was that it was toe to toe with PS2 in sales at a similar time frame.

Regardless Switch is doing pretty good.... but with all their cards on the table from its first year I just wanna see what big IP they have for this year to keep the ball rolling 😊

Elfstar

I think this goes back to the old, "is it a hand held or console" question. Really though, they still have a dedicated handheld in 2ds/3ds so I'm not sure I agree. My line of thinking is Switch is it's own beast, like the Wii, so it's not so cut and dry comparing previous Nintendo console sales. It's the first of its kind and not so long ago my understanding was that it was toe to toe with PS2 in sales at a similar time frame.

Regardless Switch is doing pretty good.... but with all their cards on the table from its first year I just wanna see what big IP they have for this year to keep the ball rolling 😊

I get that some people really want to boast about Switch's numbers, but you really can't conveniently ignore the fact that this device it's both handheld and home console combined, and that Nintendo just killed one of their dedicated hardware line to take the hybrid route this generation.

I don't even think you should necessarily compare Switch's sales to how much Nintendo's home and portable hardware combined sold through the past generations, but still, pretending this is some kind of massive turnaround compared to the Wii U while purposefully avoiding to aknowledge the whole picture looks very disingenuos and dishonest to me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom