• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming... A Eulogy...

So.

I know the PS5 conference is still running but I don’t think we need to see anymore.

MS’s showing will be equally as shitty.

So, what’s your new hobby going to be GAF, now you have realised that a shiny lick of paint isn’t going to help the stagnant, shitty games with a ‘design by committee’ template?

Next gen you will either get COD and the usual suspects or games desperately trying to grab the lime light with various agenda shoe horned in or games which desperately attempt to look good for streamers and influencers.

What are you going to do, give it up, go outside and finally see the sunrise / sunset or dig out that trusty PS2?

Last edited:

Humdinger

This was a very standard conference, to me. A few real highlights and lots of stuff that didn't appeal to me. I can say that about nearly every gaming show I've seen.

Airola

Yeah, there were zero interesting things for me.

I noticed a trend of games having these "sky islands" you jump over. Maybe it's the next gen style of masking loading.

I'll be looking forward to new PC indie games. Went through this generation with those and that seems to be my thing next gen too.

Pro tip:

if you are an ‘old head’ gamer and wish to continue gaming... You will get angrier and angrier and sadder and sadder.

This is a fact. Bite the bullet and play retro or get the fuck out of dodge and understand when the parties over 😎😂😂😂

This is a touch dramatic Monkeygourmet Monkeygourmet

100% not at all.

I don’t game anymore but love to see the fall out and fuckery with all this new shoehorned bullshit and YouTube / influencer / DLC shit in gaming.

It’s a shit show.
Watch the Wizard and play Mario Bros 3, that’s all you need.

*ironically I look like your profile pic, like a Viking now I’ve given up gaming 👍🏻

Last edited:

Umbral

You say that is if people who's asshole starts to itch everytime they see a woman or minority featured in a videogame trailer is the majority.

No, you're very much the minority, ironically.

Normal people don't really care

So the tears are delicious
You don’t know anything about me, so you don’t know where I fit in your majority/minority paradigm. I’m not on your team or anyone else’s.

Pandering will work for a bit, it’s already become obvious, and therefore insincere, and will slowly start to correct itself. The market will ensure that. I mean, do you really care about “minorities“ if you’re only sticking them in because now it’s socially en vogue? They’re not brave for doing it, it’s cynical.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
100% not at all.

I don’t game anymore but love to see the fall out and fuckery with all this new shoehorned bullshit and YouTube / influencer / DLC shit in gaming.

It’s a shit show.
Watch the Wizard and play Mario Bros 3, that’s all you need.

*ironically I look like your profile pic, like a Viking now I’ve given up gaming 👍🏻

2x8oPqP.gif

You all remember the ‘Gamers are Dead’ media narrative?

At least they gave you a warning yo! 😂

If they can’t kill you by shame, they will kill you with corporate designed shitty games, so hey - same thing yeah?! 😂

They DID warn you lmao

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
OP I'm with you.

Felt like every f***ing game we saw was "Plop player character down in linear level, player presses up on stick, shoots or swings at a bunch of bad guys."

Gameplay looked extremely uninspired.

Last edited:
oh, you mean i should start making comments about forced diversity?

or complain about lack of too much representation? Something like that?

or is it only political when you don't agree
The op wasn't political. The decline of games has happened for over a decade, with different reasons for why gaming chases a cookie-cutter 'pop' gamer, rather than those who see it as a serious hobby.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I guess if gaming doesn't interest you anymore then no need to force it.
I for one am hyped for Gran Turismo 7 (I skipped GT Sport) along with plenty of other awesome games I know are on the way. Day one!

LordKasual

Banned
The op wasn't political. The decline of games has happened for over a decade, with different reasons for why gaming chases a cookie-cutter 'pop' gamer, rather than those who see it as a serious hobby.

Yeah except I didn't quote the OP. You're telling me to stop being political but i literally responded to two inherently political comments, including Hojo's curiously specific and pretty obviously racist comment. But you skimmed right over those, of course.

Anyway, I don't know what OP was smoking. There was plenty of actual gameplay being shown, and diverse types of gameplay at that.

Rat Rage

When I saw that shitshow today, I was really glad to have a huge backlog of actual... you know.... "videogames" and not "wannbe movies".

I swear, the intellivision amico reveal trailer looked more "fun".

jufonuk

not tag worthy
So.

I know the PS5 conference is still running but I don’t think we need to see anymore.

MS’s showing will be equally as shitty.

So, what’s your new hobby going to be GAF, now you have realised that a shiny lick of paint isn’t going to help the stagnant, shitty games with a ‘design by committee’ template?

Next gen you will either get COD and the usual suspects or games desperately trying to grab the lime light with various agenda shoe horned in or games which desperately attempt to look good for streamers and influencers.

What are you going to do, give it up, go outside and finally see the sunrise / sunset or dig out that trusty PS2?
OP if you feel that way Get a switch.
then go retro.

Last edited:
I hate the identity politic driven bigotry in the arts as much as the next angry bustard, but I do not share the OP's annoyance at all.

Honestly I saw a great range of different games catering to different tastes, with even more variety and creativity than what we got this gen, which was already an improvement over last gens grey brown COD clones.

Between PS5 and Nintendo I'd say the future is looking very rosey. Now we just need to see what Microsoft is bringing to the table.

LordKasual

Banned
You don’t know anything about me, so you don’t know where I fit in your majority/minority paradigm. I’m not on your team or anyone else’s.

You're absolutely right. There's a torrent of people who seem to hate what they saw today based on nothing more than the fact that brown people and women were in it.

All similar comments start to just blur together after a while.

Pandering will work for a bit, it’s already become obvious, and therefore insincere, and will slowly start to correct itself. The market will ensure that. I mean, do you really care about “minorities“ if you’re only sticking them in because now it’s socially en vogue? They’re not brave for doing it, it’s cynical.

It's "pandering" because to you, nothing was ever wrong? Or it's "insincere" because you don't understand the purpose for doing it?

Other people don't feel that way. The market clearly is asking for diversity. And like i said...MOST people do not care if their protagonist is white or not, so it's a complete non-issue to them.

Which is why i'm saying your "market correction" isn't gonna work the way you think it will. That's the reason it's been happening for years and still isn't slowing down.

Nobody said they're brave for doing it. They AREN'T brave for doing it. But people want it, people who buy games, which is why it's happening.

You can make any excuse you want out of cynicism, but it's completely irrelevant -- If they're only doing it because it's popular, it's still doing what people want, so it's not likely to stop.

And besides, you have literally no metric by which to judge if adding "minorities" (or women) into games is due to "pandering" just by looking at a trailer....so what makes you so sure that EVERYTHING you've seen was done to "appease" some crowd of assholes who's ordering people to make minority characters just to.....

....what, push an agenda? Appeal to an agenda? What's the big deal here?

Last edited:
Top Bottom