• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming Market hits 99.6B. Mobile biggest winner, handheld biggest loser. (and more)

Apathy

3DS is still one of the best selling systems this generation and will likely only be outsold by the PS4 - so yeah that the market they are going for. WiiU was a big misstep for Nintendo - but lets not act like WiiU is the Golden Standard for a Nintendo consoles performance.

We can't also pretend that the Wii was where Nintendo consoles should be. By all accounts the Wii is the outlier when Nintendo console sales have been steadily going in a downward trajectory, and the wiiu aligns to that.

I'd rather have a full experience Pokémon game on iOS than on Switch, now that Nintendo handhelds seem to be in moratorium.. Pocket Monsters need to stay Pocket.

I'd rather have a full experience Pokémon game on iOS than on Switch, now that Nintendo handhelds seem to be in moratorium.. Pocket Monsters need to stay Pocket.

I would genuinely like to know who here on GAF carries their 3DS or Vita in their pocket.

I was surrounded by tablets on Christmas eve. No one considers that form factor anything other than portable. That's not to say the Switch will succeed....but if it doesn't, its size won't be the reason why.

But even with all that said, I am 100% convinced a "Switch Mini" will release by the end of 2018.

The console market being much bigger than the handheld market is nothing news and not even part of my point. Handheld market having worse numbers when one system is dead and the other entering its 6th year - shouldnt be a shock to anyone...regardless of the mobile or other markets.

Without new impulses for the market like VR, One S, PS4 Pro etc. those console numbers would be on decline as well compared to previous years.

You really think if the One S or Pro didn't come out this year, both consoles wouldn't get significant price drops? In fact the PS4 Slim was a bigger factor in many cases over the Pro's higher price. People traditionally buy more consoles as the years go on due to price drops.

gtj1092

What do you mean by "the markets they were in"?

To be honest I didn't check. I always thought sell-in was a typically Sony thing to do, and that Nintendo generally reported sell-through numbers. My numbers are from Nintendo, but none of the reports I found say whether the numbers are sell-in or sell-through. Do you know which number Nintendo typically reports?

The market as in the PSP was competing against the fast selling handheld/console of all time so despite the PSP selling nearly 80 million units it was seen as a failure when compared to its competition at the time. The 3DS released in a post smart phone market and did well gobbling up what was left of the dedicated hand held market.

To your second question. Nintendo reports sell in figures like Sony and MS. Whenever a manufacturer reports sold information it is sell in. Occasionally Nintendo or Sony will report separate sold through figures in PR when hitting milestones.

Top Bottom