• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming on a portable hotspot with unlimited data. Yay or Nay?

So I'm in an area that doesnt provide internet and satellite internet is THE WORST.
So im thinking of convincing my mom into getting a portable hotspot.
I heard the ping's screwed up so I'll just game with an ethernet cable.

That just leaves NAT issues.
is this a good idea, GAF?

Leezard

It depends on what you play. I've played league of Legends on a mobile hotspot 4G connection and it worked better than adsl.

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, mobile hotspot = sharing your Internet from your phone, right?

Speed-wise you should be ok-ish, but the reliability of your network (i.e. lag spikes) might be really bad.

But this depends a lot on where you are and what provider you're using.

It depends on what you play. I've played league of Legends on a mobile hotspot 4G connection and it worked better than adsl.

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, mobile hotspot = sharing your Internet from your phone, right?

No. i mean one of these little things:
verizon-samsung-4g-hotspot-sch-11.jpg

TriAceJP

Speed-wise you should be ok-ish, but the reliability of your network (i.e. lag spikes) might be really bad.

But this depends a lot on where you are and what provider you're using.

Dude doesn't have access to broadband in his area, I don't think he'll be getting any LTE speeds.

I mean, even with LTE, the latency is going to be rough.

robo

I travel a lot and use mobile hotshot loads.

Even 3g is fine if you can get the speed.

Anything over 2mb and you will be fine to play solo.

Multilayer is a different kettle of fish though, it's not your speed but your ping that causes issues, normally via hotshot its high, well over 200-300ms, which causes drop outs etc.

I play destiny a lot and often find the planet I am on, there is only me there, cos the game knows my ping is bad, still plays fine, but no interaction with others.

If I join a friend I usually get booted 3-4 times during a strike.

It's doable but really shouldn't evolve multilayer has it affects them just as much as you.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I found that a 3G connection is absolutely sufficient for online gaming, slightly higher pings than usual though, servers in the 30-40 range are around 70-80 instead.

Though on 4G the ping is really good, at least as good as my wired connection, in some cases it was even better. Granted, this is in Sweden, our internet infrastructure is damn good.

I travel a lot and use mobile hotshot loads.

Even 3g is fine if you can get the speed.

Anything over 2mb and you will be fine to play solo.

Multilayer is a different kettle of fish though, it's not your speed but your ping that causes issues, normally via hotshot its high, well over 200-300ms, which causes drop outs etc.

I play destiny a lot and often find the planet I am on, there is only me there, cos the game knows my ping is bad, still plays fine, but no interaction with others.

If I join a friend I usually get booted 3-4 times during a strike.

It's doable but really shouldn't evolve multilayer has it affects them just as much as you.

Thats why I was going to get an ethernet cable. Its supposed to help with ping issues

Dude doesn't have access to broadband in his area, I don't think he'll be getting any LTE speeds.

I mean, even with LTE, the latency is going to be rough.

I mean I've gotten by using hotspots for gaming before, but I live in a major city near East Coast servers, and you're right that if OP is living smack dab in the middle of nowhere the network probably won't be super great.

PSOreo

Games like GTA, Battlefield, Battlefront, TLOU and Overwatch

Honestly that is not going to happen anytime soon unless you have some kind of basic broadband set-up which I understand you can't. It's just not possible to get a decent or playable experience on those little devices.

Is there some sort of Internet cafe (are those still a thing?) or local gaming shop where you can pay to play some multiplayer games? Even in my small hometown we have an independent game shop that provides this service and has done since the PS2 era.

TriAceJP

Thats why I was going to get an ethernet cable. Its supposed to help with ping issues

What you are talking about is connection fidelity and packet verification.

When the whole thing is based from a wireless connection from the start, there is only do much you can do to stop degrading the quality further.

robo

It's not your connection to the hotshot. It's the connection of hotshot to network that is the issue.

I have played with a connection as low as 150k on destiny, but been booted to orbit every 10 mins or so because the game can't keep up.

You can try it, but either you will be red bar and jumping everywhere, to others, or the game makes you unkillable as it's so bad.

Like I said, think of the people you are playing with, it could ruin there games as much as yours.

Try it and see what the experience is like, solo should be fine.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The idea behind the recommendation for using an Ethernet cable from the device you're playing on to the router is that the router/modem is connected to your ISP with cables as well.

In your scenario the issue is with the router/modem using a satellite connection with your ISP, and not cables.

Genio88

4G download and upload speed is faster than my ADSL here where I live, though wouldn't know about the ping, that could be an issue, you should just make a speed test and check on it, if ping is under 90 you should be ok

Easy_D

never left the stone age
4G download and upload speed is faster than my ADSL here where I live, though wouldn't know about the ping, that could be an issue, you should just make a speed test and check on it, if ping is under 90 you should be ok

Yeah over here DSL is max 10mbps, which are speeds even 3G hits, while 4G has a peak of roughly 100mbit.

JayBabay

Even if you connect your device to the hotspot through Ethernet it won't make a difference because the source of Internet is still wireless and I believe wifi is still able to transmit whatever speed the hotspot is receiving.

Okay I just checked this site that finds internet providers near me and Centurylink popped up.

Is 10mbps dwnld good enough for online gaming?

Pokemaniac

Wireless hops are bad for latency, especially when you have more than one.

Other than that, the general network quality makes a significant difference.

AxiomThunder

Neo Member
I feel your pain on the whole living without high speed internet. Here is the solution I've been using. I bought a phone from Boost Mobile and went with the trully unlimited plan which is 60$. Then I used used the app Easy Teather to teather the internet to my computer. I then bridged the connection from the computer to my PlayStation using an Ethernet cord. It's worked really well for me. Of course if you don't get good coverage then your mileage may vary. But I've been able to play games like Battlefield 4 with no lag. And downloading updates and whole games works okay, I tend to get around 3mbps with that.

I feel your pain on the whole living without high speed internet. Here is the solution I've been using. I bought a phone from Boost Mobile and went with the trully unlimited plan which is 60$. Then I used used the app Easy Teather to teather the internet to my computer. I then bridged the connection from the computer to my PlayStation using an Ethernet cord. It's worked really well for me. Of course if you don't get good coverage then your mileage may vary. But I've been able to play games like Battlefield 4 with no lag. And downloading updates and whole games works okay, I tend to get around 3mbps with that.
Thanks! I'll book mark this post :D

Okay I just checked this site that finds internet providers near me and Centurylink popped up.

Is 10mbps dwnld good enough for online gaming?

2Mbps download should be good enough for gaming.
10Mbps should be more than enough to stream 1080p content from the likes of Amazon and Netflix too.

Downloading patches might take a while though.
Some of those day one patches on PS4 are pretty big. Make sure you get an Unlimited package if possible that doesn't have a cap on how much you can download per month.

I just checked the 4G signal on my phone (I'm not even sitting in a particularly great signal area) with the Ookla Speedtest app and it reckons my ping is around 36-38 and download speeds of around 30 Mbps. Not sure I'd trust the stability of the 4G signal for a decent gaming experience though.

Top Bottom