• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming "trends" you don't want to see in 2024.

We have a few more day, something Is bound to sneak it way Into 2024.

I hope retro handheld stop. Why hasn't it oversaturated itself by now? No one has duopolize that market (a kin to tablets) yet?

Apologies/game delay tweets.

Modding community, wet pavements does not equal "high end graphics"

I'll think of some in-game trends later

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Having celebrities's faces in-game. It adds nothing for me and might jack up the development costs for no actual gameplay gains.
look-what.gif

Puscifer

Having celebrities's faces in-game. It adds nothing for me and might jack up the development costs for no actual gameplay gains.
Not really, with photogrammetry it just happens regardless of the starpower these days.

For me, the death of slow walk moments because developers can't think of anything creative to get the story across another way. I got so sick of it I couldn't finish Spider-Man 2

hinch7

Extraction shooters, battle royale shooters.
Yeah, this. Really can't stand these game modes and trend.

Also wish publlishers and developers stop putting so much effort and try cater games towards Twitter (X) nutjobs. Just about everyone is fed up with PC rubbish shoved down our throats everywhere else, not just games. Make better games for your audience and customers, not confine and contrict your artistic intent and design for these guys and gals that don't even play buy or play video games.

Last edited:

Aces High

I'm sick of flatrate gaming like Gamepass or PS+.

It changed how I approach games to the worse. I download games through these services but I just play them for like 15 minutes and never touch them again.

I also have a feeling that games are getting worse the more succesful these flatrates become.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It might be already too late but I dont want to see devs announcing their game waaaaay too early in development cycle.

I LOVED Elden Ring and I'm super happy its getting expansion but at the same time if they had noting to show other concept art then I rather they didn't announce anything until they actually have something to show.

kiphalfton

PC game like settings on console games.

Let me guess, you've never actually played any PC games and are trying to pretend like performance mode and quality mode are "PC game like settings".

Because God knows there aren't any games on console that let you change antialising, resolution, ambient occlusion, shadow quality, texture quality, field of view, etc.

LRKD

Basically, every single modern trend. I want my games to feel like they could've released any time pre 2010.

Labadal

GaaS slowly fades away. Will not happen.

Pre-order DLC nickle and diming. Will not go away.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Sorry Gaf, I would like to see digital downloads continue to increase. Not because I want to actually take away physical discs from those of you who enjoy, so I don't have to read so many sanctimonious posts about how digital is evil and how stupid those of who enjoy it's many benefits are.

I want Nintendo to release hardware that isn't underpowered the day it releases. Better yet, release a good 20tf traditional console alongside switch 2. (Games day and date on both)

I want xbox to release some new ip's/games that actually take off.

I want pro consoles this gen.

I want ms or sony to release a portable hybrid.
Competition is healthy.

I want all portables to have an oled screen.

Last edited:

RickSanchez

AAA publishers/studios need to stop their obsession with graphics. I think we have reached a point where games are now as photorealistic as possible. Now focus on optimising games to run at a stable FPS on all hardware going back to the 20XX series atleast without being reliant totally on DLSS or FSR

And for heaven's sake, we need more innovation and variety in basic moment-to-moment gameplay. AAA studios will make gorgeous looking games with fast load times, and actually have you doing no more than a grand total of 4 types of activities over 20 hours.

Copy/paste busywork content.
The way Spiderman 2 handled the bosses.
This is a good example of what im talking about.

Aion002

Forced slow walking segments (your story aint that good, let me play it), long tutorials (I will learn as I play it) and npcs guiding (yes, shut up Atreus!).

Smarmy VO scripts and tones. I've been playing Halo Infinite recently. Wtf at some of the dialogue and the way it's delivered?!

Top Bottom