• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming "trends" you don't want to see in 2024.

Hudo

- RTS continue being ignored (Hello, EA?)
- Games deliberately being released in a bare bones state in order to have a platform for Microtransactions & DLC (Fuck you, Paradox)
- GAAS
- Account-gating everything
- Blizzard still refusing to acknowledge their major fuck up with WarCraft 3: Reforged
- Still no Final Fantasy Tactics news
- Still no Dragon Quest III: HD-2D Remake and Dragon Quest XII news
- Still no Half-Life 3

Swords and Guns

Is Talos Principal 2 the only big meaty puzzle game I'm getting this generation? Return to Monkey Island was nice for the few days till that was over.
Really wanted Last Case of Benedict Fox to be great, but combat ruined that.

GAAS and only digital.

PiPFn4P.gif

GAAS
Forced Always-Online when it doesn't need to be
Games released unfinished on disc
Unfinished games in general
Pointless celebrity cameos
Ugly character models because some folks are triggered by attractive men and women
Censorship
Yes with the ugly character models my friend. People today are triggered by just about anything. Crazy but true.

Schmick

Valve continually refusing to bring any news regarding their games. I still don't know when CS2 will be updated with new maps and modes.

Roberts

Swords and Guns

Is Talos Principal 2 the only big meaty puzzle game I'm getting this generation? Return to Monkey Island was nice for the few days till that was over.
Really wanted Last Case of Benedict Fox to be great, but combat ruined that.

Have you played Cocoon?

Paltheos

PC versions of games defaulting to an XBox control UI with no option to switch to a Dualshock one. Sometimes smaller titles get this right, but big games almost always get it wrong.
The most infuriating example I've come across is Tokyo Xanadu, a game which had previously released only on the PS4 and Vita, meaning that when Aksys ported the game over to PC, they went out of their way to change the control UI instead of leaving it the same or offering a toggle.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Collectathons...I don't really mind much else.

Oh and Microsoft to chill on the acquisitions. Sony to stop with the GaaS nonsense.

xrnzaaas

Bigger games trying to go all-digital. This is the reason why I didn't buy Alan Wake 2 and why I played Like a Dragon Gaiden in Game Pass instead of giving actual money to the devs.

Last edited:

MikeM

What I want to see more of: Uncapped 60fps+ modes on console. Why this isn’t standard in a world of VRR TVs is beyond me.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The next Nintendo console (Switch 2?) to actually have some bloody power behind it. There is no reason why the next Nintendo console can't be at least on par with the Steam Deck.

I'd also like to see Nintendo do something different. It's the same kid-friendly games over and over again. Give me something with the Nintendo quality, but made for adults. Imagine a Nintendo 18/R rated FPS or third-person cinematic game? That's what the people want to see!

YukiOnna

People constantly using sales as a measure of quality/personal defense. Or, if it doesn't hit their personal amount of success, it's not good enough. It doesn't have to sell 20 Million to be one, if the company is happy, that's enough.

Another is chasing being grounded or Hollywood in the west side. It's made it boring.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
- pre production game having an announcement
- obligatory walking session
- beat em up with God of War (2018) style
- woke shit

Celcius

°Temp. member
Devs releasing a game on consoles and holding the PC release back to get folks to double dip. Yes, I'm looking at you Rockstar!

cormack12

Gold Member
Streamers and influencers having any sort of opinion.
RPG-Lite levelling in every game
Games that feel like jobs to keep up with timed events/rewards etc
Missable collectibles and achievements in games
Political messaging as subtle as a kick to the groin

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Marvel games.
Prettier versions of the same game we’ve already played ad nauseum.
Anything with unlimited lives (minimal punishment).
Non Live Service games. If it has to be SP, don’t ditch the consumer after they bought your game.

Top Bottom