• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Gamingbolt: Xbox One sales at 26 million"

AniHawk

26 million 3 years in? That's pretty disappointing, isn't it? Looks like it'll do slightly better than N64 numbers when all is said and done.

i think that they've been selling somewhere around 8m units a year, outside of that first year. they will clear the n64 by the end of this year. the final resting place for the xb1 seems to be somewhere between 40m and 50m, and i think it depends on what the scorpio is.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
AniHawk said:
i think it will just depend on marketing. i don't think ps4 pro accomplished what sony had expected from it.
Given that it continued to run out of stock throughout the holiday season, it was at very least accomplishing what Sony was willing to commit to. It's perfectly fair to argue Sony was intentionally conservative and "hoped" for more, but there's no indications on the market that they were actively trying to position it as more than what it accomplished to date. Worth noting that Pro does not have the manufacturing overhead of new hw either, it's much closer to an additional SKU type of thing in terms of R&D commitment.
As others pointed out - would a regular 2TB 400$ unit have sales expectations of more than 10-20% of base?

i think i was just perplexed by the general excitement of ps vr (and vr in general) here
The same happened with every major headset to-date, and trust me - you don't want to know how others sold relative to PSVR, especially if you're basing sales expectations on Gaf excitement. The medium is where game-consoles were in the 70s in terms of market maturity.

that's where scorpio would work best. if they make a big deal about a new xbox and a new direction with a brand new name and shiny new hardware, games, and controllers to make it happen - then that would have a far greater impact than a supercharged xbox 1.
If I'm right - they are more interested in ecosystem proliferation than any particular hw-attach, and Scorpio would be aimed more at existing XB userbase and bridging PC-Console into something new.

spekkeh

Banned
I predicted Xbone would top off somewhere around 30M when it was released, so it's trending a lot better than I imagined. Apparently the US market can pull a lot of weight by itself. Unless of course Scorpio will get treated as a new console, in which case I was probably right, but also cheating.

I think the X1 business is hurting. Distant 2nd doesn't seem like a money maker in this business especially when they have to heavily discount the device in order to get to that distant 2nd.

Nothing you posted says anything about the overall profitability of the Xbox business. Nothing you posted gives you any absolute numbers at all. IT doesn't appear that you understand what you even posted.
nothing you posted is based on any numbers. nothing you posted is based on anything.
IT doesn't appear that you understand what you're even talking about

Game publisher profitability is as high as never. Platform Holder profitability is as high as never
And now people come here and tell; "Well that is not true at all for Microsoft. They don't make money, they need to heavily discount their console and lose profits, because they're a distant second at console units sold" based on nothing at all!

What is your research on the Xbox One S margins?
Microsofts S&M expenses for the Personal Business division and the distribution towards Xbox?
What about Sony, do you know hoch much money they make? Do you know how much is Hardware, Software and digital sales? Do you know where their profits are coming from? Because that seems where you base a good moneymaker gaming business.
What about all that stuff. Where do you base your poorly written and wrong claim on?

But you tell me i have no clue what i'm talking about...
you go to court and claim someone killed your wife
they give you several indicator why that possibly couldn't be true
you reply with: "where is the proof? where is the video showing as an absolut fact, he did not kill my wife - you guys don't know what you're talking about"
something like this is what you're doing here, lol

last gen, every system sold more than 80 million units. the psp, ds, wii, 360, and ps3 all accomplished that. this gen, only the ps4 seems on track to do so. sony lost their handheld arm. nintendo lost their console arm. microsoft declined considerably from previous heights. everyone lost customers and mindshare in the overall industry. it's just a fact.

Hardware numbers do not mean much, it´s all about revenues and profit. PSP and PS3 lost Sony plenty of money early on. The PS4 has been profitable since launch, and making plenty of money, so your assertion about a decline of Playstation is false. You have been saying that console gaming is in decline purely based on number of sold consoles, and not looking at the revenues and profit of the companies. A lot of the third party companies were losing money last gen. This gen they are not.

Maximus P

And what I already said in my earlier post, it doesn't matter as long as it plays the same games.

Of course it does. It's not like your just going to put in a forza horizon disk and it will magically be 4k native with 60fps, and if they are the same games simply upscaled then that would be pointless.

I'm guessing Microsoft are working hard to build a library of games that use the potential of the power they're offering, but we won't know what those games are yet, which was my original point.

Briguy13

Banned
Wow that really puts things in perspective. Xbox One only sold twice as much as Wii U, which was a colossal failure, sales-wise.

Very troubling news for Microsoft.

leeh

Wow that really puts things in perspective. Xbox One only sold twice as much as Wii U, which was a colossal failure, sales-wise.

That really puts things in perspective. The PS4 only sold twice as much as the Xbox One which was a complete failure.

Very troubling news for Sony.

Of course it does. It's not like your just going to put in a forza horizon disk and it will magically be 4k native with 60fps, and if they are the same games simply upscaled then that would be pointless.

I'm guessing Microsoft are working hard to build a library of games that use the potential of the power they're offering, but we won't know what those games are yet, which was my original point.

Again, it will matter to gamers. Who already own the weaker version of the console. Once more: mass market doesn't care about a 400-500 euro product if there's a 200 euro machine that plays the same games.

I don't think the 26 million number is bad. it's just that it's competing with a console that's super successful, it makes the 26m look bad.

the xbone isn't a failure just because it can't do as well as the competition. it's still getting 3rd party support, it's still got decent attachment rates, it's still got plenty of (console) exclusives.

Wow this post really puts things in perspective. PlayStation 4 only sold twice as much as the Xbox One, wich is in troubling conditions, sales-wise.

Not sure if that is good news for Sony

edit:
That really puts things in perspective. The PS4 only sold twice as much as the Xbox One which was a complete failure.

Very troubling news for Sony.
dammit i was late :(

edit2:
Xbox brand is like the Vikings or Bills, never able to win a Super Bowl.
now the trolling gets way to obvious

it's subsections of a subsection. the entire video game industry is bigger than dedicated hardware (a lot bigger at this point), but dedicated hardware shares a lot of the same space and rulesets. there's a reason why people used to call it traditional gaming. hardware is purchased in store. software is physical and generally purchased at a retailer (physical or online). games usually cost between $20 and $60 for a physical version and some come with limited editions. there's a controller that's specialized to each platform, and usually features that are unique to each system as well. it's just off the top of my head, but it's a lot different from the non dedicated market where games can be free, are not found at retail, can be played on a wide variety of devices, have different control methods depending on the game creator and/or what's supported. when i say dedicated hardware, i mean dedicated hardware. it's a big difference and if it wasn't, then there wouldn't be a problem about large sections of it going away. it's a bad idea to handwave those segments as unimportant or being part of the 'wrong market' within a subsection because it speaks to the health of the whole. xb1 doing poorly versus ps4, with the ps4 lacking the ability to not just make up for xbox's loss, but to exceed it, is a sign that consoles are weaker than they were. the same is true of the wii u. similarly, the ps vita performing worse than the psp indicates issues with the dedicated handheld market that should have worried nintendo. overall, it paints a pretty sad picture of what this 8th gen was and doesn't offer a lot of hope for the future when the decline was so total.
No matter how you slice it, my analysis still stands. We know why certain platforms declined in sales, and those reasons don't apply across all dedicated devices. You are trying to handwave away the very real reasons why specific platforms did poorly. What do any of the reasons for the the Wii U's implosion have to do with the PS4/XB1?

I'm not saying certain segments are unimportant. I'm saying they are unrelated. There is no single trend in the gaming industry. Your own examples prove that. How can the Wii U and Vita bomb so badly, yet the XB1 mostly stay the same and the PS4 have a excellent sales? The sales of gaming devices are uncorrelated.

This is important because we are all trying to find trends to predict the future. The sales trends of the XB1/PS4 have little to do with the sales trends of Nintendo consoles or handhelds. You can say in aggregate that sales are down but the PS4, and to a lesser extent XB1, platforms are totally unaffected so what's the point of the statistic? If smartphones totally replaced handhelds, what possible effect would that have on XB1/PS4? And so on...

the pro might have done well but the point is it can't be the bar that microsoft sets for themselves. they can't look at ps4 pro and say 'perfectly adequate is the goal we want for scorpio!', and that's where i'm thinking they'll be a lot more aggressive with the platform.
There is not a lot Microsoft can do to change the fate of this generation. The network effects have locked PS4's lead in. Microsoft might want to start the next gen early because of this, but that's unlikely to work. Third parties have much greater importance this gen and they aren't going to ignore the huge PS4 market to make expensive exclusives needed to mark a new Xbox console as next gen. On top of that Microsoft appears to have much less capability to make their own exclusives now.

notaskwid

Funny. You clearly have no idea how capable those specs are with today's more modern GPUs, and the GPU isn't the only aspect of the console expected to be up to the task. And the mistake people are making right now is assuming that 4K resolution on Scorpio automatically means the same as what 4K on PC means. It doesn't. Devs will still be able to make the same concessions here and there that they've always made on consoles in order to reach a specific target. The point is that Scorpio will at least be a console that can get close enough to real 4K where those concessions will allow for both solid playability at good framerates with enhancements over the typical Xbox One release.

And, most important of all, Scorpio's power does not even need to be used for 4K in the first place. They can go half that amount, or even 1080p at double the framerate. No matter how you slice it, Scorpio titles will 95% of the time be much better versions than their Xbox One counterparts, and not just the same Xbox One games in higher resolution. If you believe there will be zero benefit to scorpio besides resolution then it isn't I who hasn't learned, it is anyone that thinks as you do.

No, we all saw throughout this generation that similarly powered pc's are capable of similar results on pc and consoles. We also saw with PS4Pro that most devs are not putting anywhere near the level of effort to make the games better on the updated hardware compared to what you are saying. Most reasonable people also know that Scorpio will not make a difference in the grand scheme of things and the PS4 will continue to dominate.

What I read is you' like before and even after PS4 and XB1 releases chasing a tech unicorn that will make something you want to happen so much better that 'you wouldn't even believe it'. I'm just giving you advice to keep your expectarions in check.

Outrun

So definitely 2:1 now.

I think you're also missing the second point Zhuge is making here: they need to attract new users to their ecosystem to sustain growth.

If hardware continues to decline and they can't get people using their W10 store, it will eventually lead to stalled growth and eventual decline.

Hence the rollout of Scopio to enlarge the console userbase.

I hope that they make a good first impression...

Norse

While that's true, Sony is probably making a profit with each unit sold at this point. I don't know that I can safely say Microsoft is doing the same.

Well, they removed Kinect from every box so that cut cost. Die shrinkage and lack of brick probably lowered costs. Hard to say what each machine costs now.

As far as winning a generation, with Japan unwilling to buy a non Japanese console, I don't see any western consoles winning. The fact 360 sold as many as ps3 without Japan is pretty impressive though.

So definitely 2:1 now.

I think you're also missing the second point Zhuge is making here: they need to attract new users to their ecosystem to sustain growth.

If hardware continues to decline and they can't get people using their W10 store, it will eventually lead to stalled growth and eventual decline.

oh i missed that post
no i do not miss that point. that is exactly the challenge Microsoft is facing and that will determine the longtime growth and growth potential for Microsofts gaming division.

right now it looks okay. and for the future i'm bullish they will accomplish that.
ofc everyone can disagree on that.
when Microsoft stops to increase their monthly active Xbox Live user, it's time for concern
the hardware decline is also mainly revenue because of an lower ASP and not so much units. And the overall unit decline ist mostly contributed to no more xb360 sales
we need to see how this will continue. if they increase units thanks to Xbox One S and Scorpio combined, everything is fine. If the continue to decline despite Xbox One S and Scorpio combinded, Microsoft has a problem.

As long as gaming Revenue grows and the MAU number also, lower Hardware sales are not bad. They're even great, because they increase the overall margin and profitability.

Apathy

Well, they removed Kinect from every box so that cut cost. Die shrinkage and lack of brick probably lowered costs. Hard to say what each machine costs now.

As far as winning a generation, with Japan unwilling to buy a non Japanese console, I don't see any western consoles winning. The fact 360 sold as many as ps3 without Japan is pretty impressive though.

Lol Japan hasn't mattered in winning a long time. Europe and growing markets exist.

N.Domixis

Banned

If you remove japan ps4 is like at 50 vs 26, still 2:1. It's Europe and all of Asia

Why would Japan buy a non-Japanese console if the games aren't there?

As you said, X360 did pretty good, all things considered.

It isn't a Japan vs west thing.

Septic360

Banned
2407970-2290299078-13543.jpg

Hirai is going to come on the 2017 E3 stage with slide again.

Can you believe this was an actual slide in an actual E3 presser? Man times have changed.

You are SHITTING me!

Is that real??!!

JJH

I'm honestly not surprised it's higher. They were practically giving these away during the holiday season. I don't know releasing a more expensive and powerful machine will help any.

I'm sorry I just seem to remember MS being at least happy with 360 numbers and the X1 doesn't seem far off of those numbers. Understandably its only feels that way cause the PS4 is doing so well but they have to be making more money with X1 than 360 right. RROD had to cost MS so much

joecanada

The opposite is getting just as silly.

I've seen countless posts on here from people claiming the Scorpio won't sell well, will only boost sales minimally or will only sell to the 'hard-core',and this before we know final specs, price, launch titles, features or even the things final name.

I don't see why someone saying that the Scorpio will sell well is any different from someone predicting that it will only sell in reasonably small numbers to the hard-core crowd.

because we already have a good example in ps4pro.... why would the expectation be of scorpio selling 10X what pro is currently?

Every time this is brought up it's "no Scorpio is a clear generation leap, better marketing, true 4k, etc, etc, "

it's not going to matter to the 50 million people waiting for 249 ps4.

the best case scenario for ms is to re-sell an xbox to their base, if they can sell another console (scorpio) to half or a quarter of xbox one owners that would be a win, like the apple model of reselling a new device every year to the hardcore....

Squeezing more money out of each consumer is equally valid sales proposition to trying to sell more units to more people.

AniHawk

No matter how you slice it, my analysis still stands. We know why certain platforms declined in sales, and those reasons don't apply across all dedicated devices. You are trying to handwave away the very real reasons why specific platforms did poorly. What do any of the reasons for the the Wii U's implosion have to do with the PS4/XB1?

I'm not saying certain segments are unimportant. I'm saying they are unrelated. There is no single trend in the gaming industry. Your own examples prove that. How can the Wii U and Vita bomb so badly, yet the XB1 mostly stay the same and the PS4 have a excellent sales? The sales of gaming devices are uncorrelated.

This is important because we are all trying to find trends to predict the future. The sales trends of the XB1/PS4 have little to do with the sales trends of Nintendo consoles or handhelds. You can say in aggregate that sales are down but the PS4, and to a lesser extent XB1, platforms are totally unaffected so what's the point of the statistic? If smartphones totally replaced handhelds, what possible effect would that have on XB1/PS4? And so on...

xb1 is not mostly the same as the 360, and the xb1 isn't going to reach the same mainstream appeal as the 360. it lost its mainstream audience it had thanks to kinect and family games, and there are few efforts that i can see microsoft is taking to regain that audience. ps4 is doing great, but it's the only one. there are huge segments of the market that have gone on to mobile and pc, and that includes people who were traditionally gamers on the microsoft and sony platforms.

why are people moving away? it's the reason anyone moves away - accessibility, time, price, variety - all of these things can be better addressed by pc and smartphones, and in turn, hardware manufacturers are inadvertently making hardware increasingly into luxury items. it's going to continue to shave off parents, kids, japanese gamers, older folks, and even core gamers, because those aspects aren't exclusive to casual games, platformers, or puzzle games. those aspects are things that all consumers prefer in a product.

There is not a lot Microsoft can do to change the fate of this generation. The network effects have locked PS4's lead in. Microsoft might want to start the next gen early because of this, but that's unlikely to work. Third parties have much greater importance this gen and they aren't going to ignore the huge PS4 market to make expensive exclusives needed to mark a new Xbox console as next gen. On top of that Microsoft appears to have much less capability to make their own exclusives now.

third-parties wouldn't need to make expensive new exclusives. the 360 succeeded early on while the ps2 was still huge in 2006, largely thanks to ports of games that just looked the best and ran the best on 360 hardware (fight night, graw, call of duty). if these companies are already making assets for high-end pcs, then a port to a high-end console isn't impossible. in the meantime, xb1 and ps4 versions of games would still be sold, but microsoft would be able to establish their new direction.

Don't see X1 selling 60 million .
Plus this gen will be lower MS\Sony combine since i expect less people to own 2 systems .

really depends. thats more guessing then anything, but in a way i'm obviously guessing as well. they are at 26 million right now. I could see 4 million more moving before the halfway mark of the gen (November 2017) putting them halfway there. And I'd assume the scorpio would give them a boost as well I think 60 million is very achievable. EU is usually sony land but last gen due to the better performance of most games the 360 was able to be close to the PS3 there. this gen it's 4:1 sony in EU. I could see many people in EU opting for a corpio since the games selling there are mostly multiplat games like FIFA, CoD, Destiny, BF, GTA, etc.

There is also the possibility since many people there have a PS4 already they could opt for the scorpio to have access to more games plus the best multiplats. I don't expect the scorpio to do well outside of NA and EU though but those 2 territories make up 70% of them market. the 360 sold 80 mil while doing poorly everywhere but EU and NA. SO I think 60 is very achievable. Also as it stands now it's outpacing the PS360gen

I think Scorpio making a dent depends almost entirely on how Microsoft communicates it to consumers. I think if they make enough noise about it being a huge upgrade over the Xbox One, then people, especially those already on X1 will upgrade in the same way smartphone users upgrade to newer hardware. Again, this depends on how much noise Microsoft makes about it. People might perceive as a new generation anyway.

thats true as well. a good reveal is important. the reveal of the XB1 killed the launch for sure. All they have to do is talk games and power, and throw in the 4k blu ray player comment and they should be golden, but of course they can still find a way to fuck it up

tzare

53.4m vs 26m = 2.05:1
removing Japan
49.3m vs 26m = 1.9:1

not a big difference, but a difference
If you remove us and uk.... The ratio skyrockets in favour of ps4. That is part of the business, considering all regions makes the brand stronger. That helped Sony in the ps3 era.

AniHawk

Hardware numbers do not mean much, it´s all about revenues and profit. PSP and PS3 lost Sony plenty of money early on. The PS4 has been profitable since launch, and making plenty of money, so your assertion about a decline of Playstation is false. You have been saying that console gaming is in decline purely based on number of sold consoles, and not looking at the revenues and profit of the companies. A lot of the third party companies were losing money last gen. This gen they are not.

a lot more middle-tier third-party companies also existed last generation. this generation they don't. the big companies were able to muscle out the competition and keep the rest of the pie for themselves.

hardware numbers do not tell the whole story, nor are they the only measure for success, but they do point to weakness in the industry if they're down so drastically generation over generation. losing so many consumers should be worrisome, and sony's #1 goal to fix as they move into ps5 while they make the money on ps4. otherwise, their fans can prepare themselves for even more expensive options from sony in the form of peripherals, accessories, and subscription fees.

Hoo-doo

Banned
That's INCREDIBLE!

Lol people give Greenberg so much shit for his arrogant old ways but these guys....

THESE GUYS MADE A FUCKING SLIDE saying "the Console war is Over" and presented that at their E3 conference!

Vwvz7bZ.jpg

When you are outselling the competition ten to one, you get a free pass to say whatever you damn well please.

Raylan

Banned
You are SHITTING me!

Is that real??!!
OG Kaz is best Kaz.
Dude was real there.

That's INCREDIBLE!

Lol people give Greenberg so much shit for his arrogant old ways but these guys....

THESE GUYS MADE A FUCKING SLIDE saying "the Console war is Over" and presented that at their E3 conference!
It was the cold hard truth. 30 million vs. 4 million.
The console war was long over.

Septic360

Banned
OG Kaz is best Kaz.
Dude was real there.

It was the cold hard truth. 30 million vs. 4 million.
The console war was long over.

I guess for that generation yeah. No wonder they got complacent immediately after that with that kinda attitude. Harsh lesson indeed- winning a war by a massive margin doesn't mean smooth selling in the next one.

Top Bottom