• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Gamnesia] Nintendo just filed a new trademark for Nintendo 64

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Over the past couple of years Nintendo has successfully leveraged their classic IP with a series of mini consoles. The NES Classic Edition and SNES Classic Edition are each plug and play, bite-sized console replicas that come pre-loaded with dozens of classic games. Since their debut, fans have speculated that a Nintendo 64 Classic could be next. Based on recent activity by Nintendo, they just might be right.

Nintendo has just filed a new trademark for the Nintendo 64 in Japan. The trademark covers a lot of ground and seems to indicate a physical product, with categories including "video game program, controller for game machine, controller for game machine, joystick for video game machine, TV game machine" and more.

The NES Classic Edition has sold over 2.3 million units, and its SNES Classic successor has sold over 5 million. Nintendo continues to sell the latter to this day, while the former is set to return next month. There's also a special anime-themed Famicom Mini in Japan. Could Nintendo be preparing to add another mini console to the lineup soon?

Source: Japanese Nintendo
https://www.gamnesia.com/news/nintendo-just-filed-a-new-trademark-for-nintendo-64

Put me aside with 64DD if old

Last edited:

bufkus

a miniature n64 would be one of the cutest things ever
but would it even be worth it if they aren't even allowed to put goldeneye on it due to the copyright/trademark issues?

TannerDemoz

but would it even be worth it if they aren't even allowed to put goldeneye on it due to the copyright/trademark issues?

Microsoft is in a position now where theyve got more to gain from building a relationship with Nintendo by licensing ip IMO

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Maybe Nintendo made a deal with Microsoft and GoldenEye, Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie, Perfect Dark and Conker's are in.

Horns

Microsoft is in a position now where theyve got more to gain from building a relationship with Nintendo by licensing ip IMO

If there's one thing Minecraft has taught MS, it's that money can be made on other platforms.

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Haven't been interested in the NES or SNES mini classics but boy would I buy this.

Just hope that they can get the Rare games on there (including Bond).

woopWOOP

Totally down for N64 Mini if only for getting some good controllers where the analog isn't busted

Hoping they can get Snowboard Kids and Goemon on there.

ExpandKong

Banned

If it’s anything at all like the last two Mini Classics, adding games to it yourself will be brain dead easy.

Zannegan

A mini N64 without Rare's games wouldn't be worth it, IMO. Banjo Kazooie and Goldeneye are just as important to the 64's library as Mario and Smash.

Given their long squabble over the Goldeneye rights, even weighed against the Minecraft ports, I don't see the two companies reaching a deal for those games.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I don't see those games making the cut either unless there is going to be like 30+ games included. Which I doubt considering how many were on the NES and SNES classic.

That is quite sad as the N64 is the only place to play DOOM 64, one of the best classic DOOM games... if not the best. Also, the library on the N64 seems to be a bit less packed than NES and SNES, even first party wise. Leaving these classics out would be bad IMHO :/.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I’d buy this day 1, only thing is, didn’t they also file a trademark for the Game Boy a few months ago? Which one comes out first?

Also, it will be interesting to see if Nintendo kept the N64 games at their original framerates or bumped them up because it’s emulated.

I wouldn’t be so sure about being able to add all the games via hacking because of the unstable nature of Nintendo 64 emulation. Although some of the hackers are wizards, so who knows.

woopWOOP

I just got my SNES classic today!!!
I can't help but read that post like you're really frustrated about it all.
"A new Classic Mini coming out?! What! But I just got my SNES Classic today!!!" :D

But really, it's a nifty little machine with some great hits. Hope you like it!

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I’d buy this day 1, only thing is, didn’t they also file a trademark for the Game Boy a few months ago? Which one comes out first?

I understand nostalgia is a hell of a drug but I really don't get the Game Boy classic hype. Those are some pretty simplistic games with some pretty simplistic graphics. It's basically downgraded NES games.

I think they'd have to sell it for like $40 at most.

Also, it will be interesting to see if Nintendo kept the N64 games at their original framerates or bumped them up because it’s emulated.

I'd hope for some higher res/widescreen support at very least.

Tarkus98

I would hope the frame rates are bumped up or at least locked at 30. Many, many N64 games had horrible frame rate drops.

I can't help but read that post like you're really frustrated about it all.
"A new Classic Mini coming out?! What! But I just got my SNES Classic today!!!" :D

But really, it's a nifty little machine with some great hits. Hope you like it!
No not frustrated at all. Happy. And I’d get a N64 too

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Not sure if there are enough N64 games I would want to play if Rare games do not make it on an N64 classic.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I understand nostalgia is a hell of a drug but I really don't get the Game Boy classic hype. Those are some pretty simplistic games with some pretty simplistic graphics. It's basically downgraded NES games.
I noticed you also stated you have little interest in the NES and SNES Classics. Out of curiosity, how old are you?

The Game Boy had plenty of good games btw. Why do you think they are all “simplistic”? Are you assuming?

If you are after good graphics, why are you even interested in the N64 mini? Games are about gameplay for me. I can still play OG Pacman and Galaga for hours with their “simplistic” graphics because they are fun.

I’m guessing it’s an age thing.

Hilarion

Lots of people talking about Rare stuff and whether or not it's possible, but how about the Factor 5 Star Wars titles? I know Nintendo isn't on good terms with EA, but they didn't make the games and they presumably belong to the license-holder, Disney, a company Nintendo IS on good terms with.

JimboJones

I think they'd have to sell it for like $40 at most.
This is actually how I feel about the 64 lol, I'd be totally down for a GB classic.

nkarafo

But why? I know that Kazooie is the best of all, but Tooie and Conker are awesome too
Can't comment on Tooie but isn't Conker a mature rated game? I don't think Nintendo would want to limit the system to mature audiences only.

Also, i'm not very optimistic about the emulation. If you look at their older VC N64 library you will see "easy to emulate games", excluding Pokemon Snap. RARE games aren't easy to emulate, it took years for current emulators and plugins to fix all the problems in those games, like the polygon stretching and timing issues in Donkey Kong 64, the real time shadow in Conker, the sky in Goldeneye's Dam level, etc. Not sure if Nintendo is able, or willing, to make a decent N64 emulator that can run more demanding games like these.

Last edited:

TannerDemoz

People are out of their mind though if they think Nintendo would slap any M games on there. I think we can safely say we won't see CBDF, DOOM or Turok.

Nosgotham

Non Nintendo, non rare games I want:
Body Harvest
San Francisco rush1 and 2
Mischief makers
Castlevania
Hybrid heaven
Resident evil 2
Bomber man 64
Star wars shadows of the Empire
Fighters destiny

Nintendo games I want:
Mario 64
Pilotwings
Donkey Kong 64
Mario kart
Smash bros
Mario golf
Mario tennis
Mario party
Ocarina of time

Rare games I want:
Diddy kong racing
Goldeneye
Perfect dark
Blast corps

I hope it happens.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I never cared for N64 at the time, or owned one (even though I liked and owned the NES/SNES prior). Though I did play a some of the Star Wars games with my cousin's at the time, and Mario Kart with friends and at local pubs on it the past couple of years.

But I will definitely pick one up to add to the collection, and at least play some games I missed out on.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Take away the Rare games, and other potential license problem games like Star Wars, you would struggle to get 10 good games on this, nevermind 20+, and i say that as a N64 fan.

ExpandKong

Banned
Take away the Rare games, and other potential license problem games like Star Wars, you would struggle to get 10 good games on this, nevermind 20+, and i say that as a N64 fan.

Yeah but it’s a moot point once hackers get a tool made for us to add more games to it.

Solomeena

Banned
If Nintendo can get Star Wars: Shadows Of the Empire on this supposed N64 mini console i will be all over it. Shadows of the Empire blew me away back in the day and i would love to play it again. I know it is available on Gog and Steam but i want it on the N64.

WaterAstro

They're releasing them so fast, we might get the mini version of Nintendo's next console before the actual console comes out!

I hope this comes with Rare games. If not no doubt I'll just instantly hack them on I just know that 90% of what I want is Mario + Zelda + Rare and I'm good. Also hoping they don't do something stupid like not allowing 4 controllers to plug in. I would probably play this system more than the previous two. Also hoping we get some nice tid bits like Zelda OoT : Master Quest.

Last edited:

Hudo

Is a console war of old on the verge to be fought once again? Playstation Classic vs N64 Classic Mini! Let's Go!

Andyliini

If the N64 has 20 games, and I assume there will not be any licensed or rare games, these would be my ideal games:

Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 3
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
Yoshi's Story
Bomberman 64
Resident Evil 2
Mega Man 64
Pokemon Snap
Diddy Kong Racing