• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gattaca was a cool little movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odoul

I've liked it since it first came out. Whenever it's on I watch it till the end. Might be a little unrealistic, but I haven't seen a movie quite like it. Gonna have to pick up on DVD one day.

And the ending with the guy in the wheelchair is a real downer.

Yep, it's an extremely underrated movie. When I first saw it I was underwhelmed but upon a second viewing years later I really enjoyed it. It certainly doesn't get enough credit.

Jak140

Yeah, awesome movie; the director/writer also wrote the screenplay for another one of my favorite movies, The Truman Show. He also wrote the Terminal, which I enjoyed.

bionic77

This was the first DVD movie I ever rented (at the time my blockbuster only had like 20 movies to rent).

I bought the dvd a few days later.

SuperPac

Great sci-fi film that has the least amount of special effects ever. I used to live about five minutes from the Marin County Civic Center (the exterior for Gattaca itself). I heart that movie.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Definitely one of the best SF films ever made. It's surprising how underrated and relatively unknown it is, even among many SF fans.

AntoneM

oooh, contact is awesome too. For me it wil have to come down to finding Gattaca a more interesting topic, but I own them both.

Contact was fucking boring. Words cannot express my HATE for Contact.

Our teacher let us watch G.A.T.T.A.C.A in Biology because he had a migrane and didn't feel like teaching. I liked the cast a lot. <3

Matlock said:
"I didn't save anything for the way back."

Probably one of my top 10 lines from a film in the 90's.

Very inspiring quote.

I liked the movie but the ridiculous scene where he has to walk across the street and the millions are cars are zooming towards him at mach speed had me rolling my eyes.

maharg

idspispopd
IAmtheFMan said:
Gattaca started great, had a strong middle, but ended poorly.
"I'm your brother!" Bum bum bum!

You know, I thought they handled this 'twist' very well. It contributed a lot to the story, but they didn't exactly beat you over the head with it. Not like some movies would, where the very line you quoted above would have actually been IN the movie. It just happened, and we found out through exposition.

This is seriously one of the best sci-fi movies ever, imo. It's really got a whole oldschool print sci-fi feel to it.

Alucard

Banned
The DVD is sitting on top of my television. I've actually been in the room while the entire movie played but didn't watch all of it. I'll give it my full attention in the near future. I really liked what I did see of it; especially the setting and overall style of the movie.

graham said:
You know, I thought they handled this 'twist' very well. It contributed a lot to the story, but they didn't exactly beat you over the head with it. Not like some movies would, where the very line you quoted above would have actually been IN the movie. It just happened, and we found out through exposition.

This is seriously one of the best sci-fi movies ever, imo.

For the type of movie it was, it just seemed very unnecessary. It was good in the beginning flashback scene, where we see him directly competing with his bro and sets us up for the mood of the movie, but when they bring it back again after all the other stuff in the movie's happened, it just didn't jive with me. Plus, the investigation of what was going on was really tense while it was going on, and this just kinda seemed to deflate all that build-up.

It's still a very good movie. great in some aspects, but it still have IMO that flaw.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Matlock said:

Yeah, great movie and a great quote.

The really weird thing is I was thinking about this movie, and that quote specifically earlier this morning. I was wondering if I should be purchasing this on DVD to add to my collection. I will take this thread as a sign and buy it tomorrow. Of course that means a new super-uber collector's edition will come out on Wednesday. Meh :shrugs:

Lil' Dice

Banned
I loved this movie. It's a prime example of how much can be accomplished with minimal special effects and great story telling....

Thaedolus

We watched Gattaca in English my Senior year of HS. Went out and got it after that, awesome movie.

Oddly enough, the same teacher showed us Equilibrium. He was all about future mind control stuff :p

Sullen

Matlock said:

Agreed, the whole scene that line takes place in is damn near perfect.

Contact was pretty good, but it's definitely not underrated. Gattaca truly is, however. What a fantastic film. I remember coming out of the theater after it was over, and just being totally phased by it. It blew me away. The rest of the night, I was seeing the world in a totally different way. What a great feeling.

xabre

Banned
I saw Gattaca for the first time several years ago, thought it was good then and still think it is good now. A future world based upon genetic classes rife with discrimination, something may well become a reality one day.

Thaedolus said:
Oddly enough, the same teacher showed us Equilibrium. He was all about future mind control stuff :p

Another good underrated movie.

AirBrian

Wow, it's great to see the Gattaca love. It was one of the first DVDs I puchased, and I'll watch it at least a couple times a year.

It's also one of Uma Thurman's better performances IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom