• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Craft

Today's pickups, paid £85 for the lot.
They all have their plastic cases and manuals, seller even thrown in a couple of gameboys.
IMG_20150315_184151381.jpg

Are there different translation patches, or is there pretty much just one?

I've only ever come across the one. I'd be surprised if there was another. It's very well done.

Mother 3 is the best game of that generation. And that includes all the console systems as well.

I imported it the day it came out in Japan, and played through it multiple times in Japanese. First just by kind of feeling my way along (I took 1 year of Japanese in college, but that wasn't nearly enough to be able to tell what was going on/read much), and then with translation guides once those were out. And, of course, have played through it countless more times since the translation patch. I highly recommend the game to everyone. I absolutely adore it <3

I even won a Review of the Month over on GameFAQs for my review of it (which, around the time it came out, I think was either the 1st or 2nd review they had for it), which got me a $30 Amazon gift card. So the game literally paid for itself :þ

Definitely in my top five GOAT list, and I've been gaming for a while. I really can't say it enough that everyone should play this game.

Just finished chapter 1 and no hiccups with the cart yet. I dunno how many different groups made carts like this, but this one at least seems like good quality so far.

psylah

Found a white DSi, I never realized that they removed GBA compatibility on these.

It was in rough shape, but I cleaned it up. Maybe I'll sell it. My crystal pink DS can't be beat.

Also, there were pictures on it taken by the little girl who owned it before. Creepy.

terrisus

Found a white DSi, I never realized that they removed GBA compatibility on these.

It was in rough shape, but I cleaned it up. Maybe I'll sell it. My crystal pink DS can't be beat.

Also, there were pictures on it taken by the little girl who owned it before. Creepy.

Yup - the DS and DSLite had GBA compatibility, but the DSi does not (and, certain DSi games are region-locked).

Also, chrishansen.jpg

It was one of Wiggy's creations from rose colored gaming, it's a custom painted one with a backlit screen and a repro glass lens.

I want one of those so badly...

Next time he offers up custom shells I think I'm going to pounce and try to transplant my AGS 101's screen into an AGB...

EDIT: I just said F it and bought one on eBay. God of Games has AGS101 modded GBAs for $150. Good price compared to RGC.

I want one of those so badly...

Next time he offers up custom shells I think I'm going to pounce and try to transplant my AGS 101's screen into an AGB...

EDIT: I just said F it and bought one on eBay. God of Games has AGS101 modded GBAs for $150. Good price compared to RGC.

Just about everyone else should be a good price compared to RGC

You can through an emulator called gameyob. It's not perfect though.

Is the next best option one of the backlit GBA SP's? Was it AGS101 or whatever?

I have an Afterburner GBA from back when that was released. but it wasn't a brilliant solution (although it certainly improved things at the time!).

Is the next best option one of the backlit GBA SP's? Was it AGS101 or whatever?

I have an Afterburner GBA from back when that was released. but it wasn't a brilliant solution (although it certainly improved things at the time!).

The entire GBA line is kind of disappointing if you're picky.

Original GBA has a nice form factor and is very comfortable but the screen is very dark, even as far as reflective TFT goes, and its exposed which means it can get scratched very easily. Modding a backlit screen into the original helps things but the AGS-101 screen is very ghosty -- in good light I kinda prefer the non-backlit screen. Also changing the screen protector to glass is a must IMO.

SP 001 has the same screen as the original GBA but with a row of LEDs and a membrane in front to light it up. You can play non-lit or with some lighting but its pretty uneven and looks kinda crummy. The SP is also not very comfortable (even worse than DS/3DS just for being so small), does not have a headphone jack (you need an adapter), and uses non-standard batteries for which its hard to find working ones except knockoffs on ebay.

SP 101 is the same as 001 but with the backlit screen, which as before is pretty ghosty -- its fine for the most part but can be annoying in fast motion. This is your best stock hardware but it's still not without a bunch of problems.

The Micro has a better screen but the screen is really small, like honestly kinda way too unreasonably small. Some people like this model mostly due to the high DPI but I am very much not one of them. It also has a different link cable jack which requires different cables or adapters, doesn't work with the GC-GBA link cable (at least without effort), and is not compatible with GB/GBC games.

Then there's the GB Player, which has serious latency issues and a weird stutter.

You could also play GBA games on DS / DS-lite but there you don't get access to the link cable or wireless adapter and the buttons are somewhat awkwardly mapped to A/B rather than B/Y. The screen on the DS-lite is fairly nice at least.

There is only one answer, and it's AGB-101.

Bring money.

Not quite

Original GBA has a nice form factor and is very comfortable but the screen is very dark, even as far as reflective TFT goes, and its exposed which means it can get scratched very easily. Modding a backlit screen into the original helps things but the AGS-101 screen is very ghosty -- in good light I kinda prefer the non-backlit screen. Also changing the screen protector to glass is a must IMO.

To be clear I'm currently juggling the use of several handhelds to suit different use cases. On the bus I use a midnight blue GBC with no light (dat sun) and a glass outer screen for GB/GBC games and a non-backlit transparent pink AGB-001 (which needs to get a glass screen) for GBA games. The GBC screen is somewhat lighter than the GBA screen and GBC games seem designed with it in mind so I roll that whenever possible.

At home it's kinda dark so I switch between my backlit AGB-001 and occasionally also use my Gameboy Player.

terrisus

To be clear I'm currently juggling the use of several handhelds to suit different use cases. On the bus I use a midnight blue GBC with no light (dat sun) and a glass outer screen for GB/GBC games and a non-backlit transparent pink AGB-001 (which needs to get a glass screen) for GBA games. The GBC screen is somewhat lighter than the GBA screen and GBC games seem designed with it in mind so I roll that whenever possible.

At home it's kinda dark so I switch between my backlit AGB-001 and occasionally also use my Gameboy Player.

This pretty much exactly describes my usage situations.

Credo

Hey GAF. I bought a lot of GBC and GBA boxes from someone on GAF a while back, and I'm about to sell the ones I don't want anymore. Two of them are Japanese, and I know one is Rhythm Tengoku, but I don't know what the other one is.

Can anyone tell me what this game is?

psylah

Not quite

There's no question for me, It's the most usable in any situation. I'd give the concession of some ghosting with not having to deal with the impossible-to-see AGB-001, cramped spaces of the SP and the unreadable (and also mega-cramped) micro.

Of course, the nuclear option is to play your GBA games on a DS lite like a plebian. But we're all above that here, aren't we?

Impotaku

One of the rarer micro plates due to the fact it was club nintendo exclusive.
SAM_1182%20res.jpg

I'd leave it on all the time but i'm worried about it getting damaged, not like i can easily replace it nowdays.

_h8bit

Banned
I don't think so, no. It's basically the same, but a better quality build, micro sd support and an updated kernel

...and the darth vader default theme is gone!

Any recs on where to purchase from? I've read around quite a bit and it seems to be a bit of a crap shoot on service and paypal acceptance. Apologies if this isn't the place to ask this.

Mother 3 is the best game of that generation. And that includes all the console systems as well.

I imported it the day it came out in Japan, and played through it multiple times in Japanese. First just by kind of feeling my way along (I took 1 year of Japanese in college, but that wasn't nearly enough to be able to tell what was going on/read much), and then with translation guides once those were out. And, of course, have played through it countless more times since the translation patch. I highly recommend the game to everyone. I absolutely adore it <3

I even won a Review of the Month over on GameFAQs for my review of it (which, around the time it came out, I think was either the 1st or 2nd review they had for it), which got me a $30 Amazon gift card. So the game literally paid for itself :þ

Maybe I should do that too. I bought Mother 3 years ago, complete, and it's been sitting in its packaging since because I can't read a single character of Japanese. However, it's one of my most desired games to play, if not the most. I really want to play it on actual hardware, though.

Why NoA, why?

So in a local flea market I've got a chance to pick up a really nice read PIL Gameboy for $30 and a kind of beat up GBA SP-101 for $25. Both seem like good prices but I'm not really convinced. I would like a 101, but I want a nice one. Maybe put a new casing on it???

I think I have a serious problem. Just bought this instead of upgrading to a New 3DS XL:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131452812776

GBA collecting sure is addicting. Heard the RoseColoredGaming guys on SecondOpinionGames, talking about how those screens have become impossible to get. And since I had my eye on this one anyways, I made the very logical conclusion that I better get it right now. Hope this will be the last GBA console I buy for a while...

I think I have a serious problem. Just bought this instead of upgrading to a New 3DS XL:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131452812776

GBA collecting sure is addicting. Heard the RoseColoredGaming guys on SecondOpinionGames, talking about how those screens have become impossible to get. And since I had my eye on this one anyways, I made the very logical conclusion that I better get it right now. Hope this will be the last GBA console I buy for a while...

Wow those have gotten very expensive. I bought mine a bit over a year ago and it was < $100.

CBTech

I've been considering getting a custom backlit GBA, but I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for. What screens or whatever are good?

I saw these two listings that seemed reasonably priced. What do you all think?
Listing 1
Listing 2

Wow those have gotten very expensive. I bought mine a bit over a year ago and it was < $100.
Well, I went for the most expensive model available, really wanted to have that switch for screen brightness. And that guy is really good at selling his stuff, his description spoke to me. Ended up paying $190 including shipping. Decent looking mods start at around $140+shipping.

But unless some factory in China starts making similar panels again, the price is only going to go up. We have exhausted the supply of original TFTs.

I've been considering getting a custom backlit GBA, but I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for. What screens or whatever are good?

Listing 1
Listing 2
I think the first one looks a little better, especially as the seller guarantees that nothing weird is going on between glass and display. Was also looking at that one.

CBTech

I think the first one looks a little better, especially as the seller guarantees that nothing weird is going on between glass and display. Was also looking at that one.

A brightness switch would have been nice, but it isn't like I adjust brightness very often and I normally crank it to max anyway. Decided to buy the first one. See how it goes.

psylah

Listing 1
Listing 2

Man, that second link...

Why wouldn't you put a good game in the console if you were taking pictures to sell it?

I'll never understand that.

Top Bottom