• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

CBTech

What accessories are good for a regular GBA? Any good rechargeable batteries worth getting? What about cases? I used to not get cases, but I'm getting tired of dust accumulating on the screen and what not. I'm not looking for a big case. Just a nice looking one that stores the device and maybe a couple of games. Similar to this. Really liked this case for my 3DS XL.

What accessories are good for a regular GBA? Any good rechargeable batteries worth getting? What about cases? I used to not get cases, but I'm getting tired of dust accumulating on the screen and what not. I'm not looking for a big case. Just a nice looking one that stores the device and maybe a couple of games. Similar to this. Really liked this case for my 3DS XL.

I recommend Sanyo Eneloops for rechargeable AA batteries.
As for storage, I just use a neoprene DS toggle case from PowerA which are pretty cheap at Target and Amazon. Unfortunately no separate storage for games, but I travel with my EZF4.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
And today I learn that there are not one but 3 TMNT games on the original GB platform... Fall of the Foot Clan was one of my first games back when I got the GB in '89. Are the others any good? They seem to be pretty pricey to get CIB.

The GB is interesting since that whole era between Link's Adventure and Pokemon is a big blank spot for me. But I do like the system's games... most recently picked up Kwirk, Revenge of the Gator, and Quarth CIB for $10 each at a small game store deep within the ghettoes of Newark.

Chastten

Banned

No idea if it's actually a good game but I liked this one as a kid. My nephew still plays it from time to time when he comes over so I guess it has some qualities at least.

TheMoon

No idea if it's actually a good game but I liked this one as a kid. My nephew still plays it from time to time when he comes over so I guess it has some qualities at least.

It's cool enough. This is the very first licensed game I ever played. My friend had Fall of the Foot Clan and I got Back to the Sewers back when we were kids. The huge sprites are awesome but that also makes it feel a little cramped (Metroid II syndrome). Still a fun TMNT game.

D.Lo

Pretty fun game. Kind of a variation on the classic 'Kung Fu' formula, chop chop chop.

Also some of the best graphics on the DMG.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Deal of the year so far?
Super happy even tho I already have a new copy of Gunstar FH.

whfv19V.jpg

Dash Kappei

damn. Jealous, and I don't even collect GBA games.

Well, listen to this tho: the night before a guy put up Zero Mission (EU cart only, perfect conditions) for €13 shipped on Amazon... super excited (it was 2 am!) I go and add the game to my cart and then go browse other stuff for LESS than 10 minutes tops (seriously 10m is pushing it, not bullshitting here)... Well, when I go checkout it tells me the item doesn't exists. It was freakin' sold, at 2am, in those 10 minutes I was fucking around. I was near devastated -_-
So maybe it was karma that got me this other deal ;)

How!? Where?!

Found this guy advertising his toys store on Kijiji (ebay.it's spinoff non-auctions site) and noticed he mentioned Nintendo GiG games. Now, GiG was the importer for Nintendo before NOE Italia stepped in in 2002 iirc so I figured he must've stumbled on some warehouse stock of old games still wrapped... and I was right! Among all the crap (the worst Super Nintendo and GBA games you can imagine) he had those 3 and we reached a deal of €7 per game plus €4 for shipping ^_^ they're new in mint condition.

He's already got wind of his fuckup tho, because today he noticed he had the Mario Advance games (only the first tho, otherwise I'd have jumped on them even just for trading) and contacted me asking for €30 and €60 for Super Mario World snes pal lol.. thanks but nope.

Rydeen

Is this legit? As a 1993 release, I wouldn't have expected an ESRB E rating.

That doesn't look legit. The original GB version of Link's Awakening wouldn't have had an ESRB 'E' rating, it's also lacking the official Nintendo Seal of Quality logo on the label, which would also be on it.

Also I'm going to need this seller's name for...research purposes, yeah.

DX is rated E, so I assume the original shares the rating.

Also lol at that seller (again)
DX came out in 1998, after the 'E' rating was implemented into the ESRB rating system. Link's Awakening came out in 1993, which predates the ESRB existing as an organization, let alone having an 'E' rating which didn't exist until 1998. It would've been 'K-A' ("Kids to Adults") prior to 1998.

Picked up FZero Maximum Velocity and MG:Advanced Tour today for my micro. Carts only but only had to pay ten bucks. Looking forward to relaxing with golf on the bus and getting frustrated by how damn hard FZero is.

That doesn't look legit. The original GB version of Link's Awakening wouldn't have had an ESRB 'E' rating, it's also lacking the official Nintendo Seal of Quality logo on the label, which would also be on it.

Also I'm going to need this seller's name for...research purposes, yeah.

DX came out in 1998, after the 'E' rating was implemented into the ESRB rating system. Link's Awakening came out in 1993, which predates the ESRB existing as an organization, let alone having an 'E' rating which didn't exist until 1998. It would've been 'K-A' ("Kids to Adults") prior to 1998.

huh. I didn't realize the ESRB was so recently founded. Thanks for the knowledge drop.

I'm just surprised people are going out of their way to make GAME BOY bootlegs. Yeah I can understand doing GBA and DS ones since peoplestill buy those games pretty regularly, but OG Game Boy games?

It's not even the more desireable DX version! lol

(Can't really speak much since I only own the vanilla version cartridge...)

I just paid $28 for this. I hope this is legit. The seller has stellar feedback and he provided three pictures, including the one below which convinced me. The battery in my copy of Pokemon Red died recently and with it a 16 year old save, I've got a Micro so I figured to get this, luckily I came across this one for sale, didn't need to bid.

This guy.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/rebmonsworld?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

I think I might try open heart surgery on my Yellow and Crystal. My Gold and Silver died long ago and I never got Blue. Then again, maybe it isn't worth it. I do own HeartGold and if this recent purchase is legit, I'll have a Gen1 game to play without worrying about save batteries.

I just paid $28 for this. I hope this is legit. The seller has stellar feedback and he provided three pictures, including the one below which convinced me. The battery in my copy of Pokemon Red died recently and with it a 16 year old save, I've got a Micro so I figured to get this, luckily I came across this one for sale, didn't need to bid.

This guy.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/rebmonsworld?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

I think I might try open heart surgery on my Yellow and Crystal. My Gold and Silver died long ago and I never got Blue. Then again, maybe it isn't worth it. I do own HeartGold and if this recent purchase is legit, I'll have a Gen1 game to play without worrying about save batteries.

That's definitely a legit cart, or the scammers have gotten way way better at making clone cartridges.

Changing the batteries is pretty easy if you have minimal soldering skills (or have 10 minutes to watch youtube video and $10 to buy a cheap soldering iron). Probably for most games you'd just need to do it once and you're good for another 20 years. Pokemon G/S/C might die faster due to the RTC.

Are you trying to keep your old saves? That's a bit more tricky cause you'd need to supply power to the SRAM while switching the battery. Otherwise just changing the batteries on the carts will make them good as new.

LAM09

That's definitely a legit cart, or the scammers have gotten way way better at making clone cartridges.

Changing the batteries is pretty easy if you have minimal soldering skills (or have 10 minutes to watch youtube video and $10 to buy a cheap soldering iron). Probably for most games you'd just need to do it once and you're good for another 20 years. Pokemon G/S/C might die faster due to the RTC.

Are you trying to keep your old saves? That's a bit more tricky cause you'd need to supply power to the SRAM while switching the battery. Otherwise just changing the batteries on the carts will make them good as new.

I changed the battery on a Ruby cart I bought last year, and I just used some tape to hold the battery in. It works fine.

Edit: Looks like he wants to do more than that.

I added 4 new, CIB games to my GBA collection this weekend. Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Mario Tennis Advance Tour, Sword of Mana, and Megaman & Bass.

I'm really excited to try Megaman, and I overpaid for Sword of Mana, but I'm happy to add it to the collection.

I was considering open heart surgery. Removing the front plate of the cartridge, putting the exposed cartridge into a GBA, and changing the battery while the game was on and loaded into the GBA's RAM.

I was considering open heart surgery. Removing the front plate of the cartridge, putting the exposed cartridge into a GBA, and changing the battery while the game was on and loaded.

Yeah you really don't need to go that far. Just supply 3.3ish volts to the same leads as the battery, pull, replace, should be fine. Maybe try it out with a less important save before you go for old Pokemon ones, or better still try to back up saves to PC.

Wow I didn't even notice this thread! I am just starting to update my library of GB/GBC/GBA games these days. What do you guys think of what I've got right now? I've got all their manuals as well and I'm planning to get dem custom cases to give them a home. I think it's a pretty mediocre collection but I'm seeing a lot of titles in this thread worth playing so I'm excited about that. Currently playing the FE (sorry that text is supposed to say binding blade not blazing sword) game and Mother 3 as those 2 are the only ones I haven't beaten. You might see a lot of battle networks, and it's because me and my brother used to pvp with each release but those days are long gone. He visits me once a year with his kids and still has that passion to pvp me again in any of the 4 games and that's why I've kept them.

Dash Kappei

Wow I didn't even notice this thread! I am just starting to update my library of GB/GBC/GBA games these days. What do you guys think of what I've got right now? I've got all their manuals as well and I'm planning to get dem custom cases to give them a home. I think it's a pretty mediocre collection but I'm seeing a lot of titles in this thread worth playing so I'm excited about that. Currently playing the FE (sorry that text is supposed to say binding blade not blazing sword) game and Mother 3 as those 2 are the only ones I haven't beaten. You might see a lot of battle networks, and it's because me and my brother used to pvp with each release but those days are long gone. He visits me once a year with his kids and still has that passion to pvp me again in any of the 4 games and that's why I've kept them.

Could you maybe PM me where did you get the Binding Blade and Mother 3 reprocarts?
How's the quality of the carts?

Peltz

Nice collection. I wasn't aware that people made GBA reproductions for translated games. Those are the two I'd grab too if I knew where to get them.

My modest collection:

10425173_10101018374815610_3807830639456830784_n.jpg

CBTech

So I got my backlit GBA in the mail yesterday. Looks amazing, really solidified that I wanted this more than I thought. However, there were enough flaws in the mod that I had to return it for a replacement. Pressing right on the d-pad didn't give the response the other buttons/directions gave. The pad sank in further to the point my thumb completely touched the plastic. The seller thinks this might be due to the slightly larger screen pushing the motherboard in some way. In game it responded fine so I considered keeping it, but I noticed that the device consistently had trouble reading carts. It would either not detect the cart at all or detect it, but freeze as soon as the screen changed. This applied to a variety of carts that would work instantly in my old SP. Anyone else run into these issues with modded GBAs?

The seller has offered to fix the one I bought or send me a replacement. Hopefully when I get it back it will be perfect.

Peltz

So I got my backlit GBA in the mail yesterday. Looks amazing, really solidified that I wanted this more than I thought. However, there were enough flaws in the mod that I had to return it for a replacement. Pressing right on the d-pad didn't give the response the other buttons/directions gave. The pad sank in further to the point my thumb completely touched the plastic. The seller thinks this might be due to the slightly larger screen pushing the motherboard in some way. In game it responded fine so I considered keeping it, but I noticed that the device consistently had trouble reading carts. It would either not detect the cart at all or detect it, but freeze as soon as the screen changed. This applied to a variety of carts that would work instantly in my old SP. Anyone else run into these issues with modded GBAs?

The seller has offered to fix the one I bought or send me a replacement. Hopefully when I get it back it will be perfect.

Sorry to hear that. Those mods don't come cheap and you should definitely not settle for less than impeccable quality.

The larger screen is definitely part of the problem. Tightening screws helps. Also making sure to use original buttons/rubber pads (rather than replacements) seemed to help me, they just fit better.

CBTech

The larger screen is definitely part of the problem. Tightening screws helps. Also making sure to use original buttons/rubber pads (rather than replacements) seemed to help me, they just fit better.

That's what the seller suggested. I sadly don't have the screw driver for those weird screws on the back of the GBA. Not a phillips, some sort of three-leaf clover style screw. Odd.
Anyway, I'm not sure tightening screws would have helped the cart issue either, so I think it was worth sending it back.

Did you buy it off of eBay? If so, what was the username of the person you got it from, out of curiosity?

CBTech

Did you buy it off of eBay? If so, what was the username of the person you got it from, out of curiosity?

Yes, I bought it off of ebay. The user was thom_gasq. We had a brief email exchange last night after I received the GBA. He was very helpful and understanding. Hopefully he manages to fix it up for me.

CBTech

Hmm. Different guy. I just got one as well from a different user and have the same weird thing with right on the d-pad seeming less responsive.

The guy thinks that the slightly larger screen pushing pushing the motherboard in a way that the right button is farther away than it normally is. He isn't sure there is anything that can be done about that, but he is going to try. He suggested opening up the back and tightening the motherboard screws ever so slightly. He did warn me about doing it though since some motherboards have a wire that can be easily cut. There is a number you can see if you look through where the battery case attaches. If it starts with a 0 there is no wire.

The d-pad thing is somewhat annoying, but not a deal breaker for me. If it wasn't for the cart read issues I was getting I wouldn't have returned it to him for repairs.

Nice collection. I wasn't aware that people made GBA reproductions for translated games. Those are the two I'd grab too if I knew where to get them.

My modest collection:

10425173_10101018374815610_3807830639456830784_n.jpg

Nice boxes man! Nice fire emblem as well. How are the the Castlevania GBA games? (I also just remembered you're from the Upscalars thread!)

Could you maybe PM me where did you get the Binding Blade and Mother 3 reprocarts?
How's the quality of the carts?

PM'd.

Peltz

Nice boxes man! Nice fire emblem as well. How are the the Castlevania GBA games? (I also just remembered you're from the Upscalars thread!)

PM'd.

Right on! I'm always posting in that thread.

The Castlevania games are some of the best games on the system in my humble opinion. I really like them.

Also, could you PM me the info on those reproductions as well?

Right on! I'm always posting in that thread.

The Castlevania games are some of the best games on the system in my humble opinion. I really like them.

Also, could you PM me the info on those reproductions as well?

Of course I can. You've been PM'd, and I appreciate the castlevania endorsement. I was hooked on Symphony of the Night and the first 2 DS games, and I just need more in my veins. Never knew there were more on GBA, or even the "Adventure" games on GB. There is also a way to (from what I remember) use the GBA emulator homebrew app with an R4 to flash a game into one of those "EZ-3-in-1" devices that go into your GBA slot and literally have it act like a normal GBA game (I've done it with a mother 3 rom and tested it on my GBP, GBA and NDS (although I had to take off the ez 3-in-1 case for GBP and GBA to have it fit inside)). The only problem was when I bought a GBA shell and a mother 3 label, I had no idea how to fit newly made mother 3 board into the gba shell, so I ended up just buying one from somebody. I'm saying this incase you find repro prices too ridiculous and want to try doing it yourself.

Craft

Of course I can. You've been PM'd, and I appreciate the castlevania endorsement. I was hooked on Symphony of the Night and the first 2 DS games, and I just need more in my veins. Never knew there were more on GBA, or even the "Adventure" games on GB.

Don't forget Kid Dracula too!

Peltz

Thanks for the info.

I personally think the handheld entries on GBA are comparable in quality to SotN. They're totally worth picking up.

Peagles

The guy thinks that the slightly larger screen pushing pushing the motherboard in a way that the right button is farther away than it normally is. He isn't sure there is anything that can be done about that, but he is going to try. He suggested opening up the back and tightening the motherboard screws ever so slightly. He did warn me about doing it though since some motherboards have a wire that can be easily cut. There is a number you can see if you look through where the battery case attaches. If it starts with a 0 there is no wire.

The d-pad thing is somewhat annoying, but not a deal breaker for me. If it wasn't for the cart read issues I was getting I wouldn't have returned it to him for repairs.

He sounds like a cowboy. I guess some people heard they were worth big money and decided to slap some shoddy systems together to make a quick buck.

Top Bottom