• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hey Seven Force, just telling you cause maybe you aten't aware of it but neogaf mobile embeds YT videos which is awesome but in this case means that if you quote like that then you're cluttering the page with a huge wall of video players just right after the original poster included them too... it gets pretty messy, so we try to not do that on the same page.

Btw impotaku, what series is that one (4 games) with the moustache dude drawn in the style of Doraemon/Pollon? Must be good if you own 4 of them.
Also the complete Famicom Mini line with the CE boxes is the most beautiful thing one could collect as far as GBA games go, imo. Too bad I didn't have enough money at the time of release -_-

Impotaku

Hey Seven Force, just telling you cause maybe you aten't aware of it but neogaf mobile embeds YT videos which is awesome but in this case means that if you quote like that then you're cluttering the page with a huge wall of video players just right after the original poster included them too... it gets pretty messy, so we try to not do that on the same page.

Btw impotaku, what series is that one (4 games) with the moustache dude drawn in the style of Doraemon/Pollon? Must be good if you own 4 of them.
Also the complete Famicom Mini line with the CE boxes is the most beautiful thing one could collect as far as GBA games go, imo. Too bad I didn't have enough money at the time of release -_-

Those 4 games are based on a manga series called zettai zetsumei dangerous jiisan, very odd games. One is a platform game the others a kind of top down action rpg. Lots of odd comedy and toilet humour. Love the series have all of them including the ones on DS & 3DS, i really like strange games lol.

Dash Kappei

Thanks for the answer impotaku. I'm a sucker for quirky games too, are those weird but quality, if a bit rough, gems and are they manageable with no text comprehension?

Goddamn I wish there was a translation patch for Kessakusen! Ganbare Goemon 1+2 -_-
Honestly don't care about that other game with its shitty futuristic aesthetics

Now that I think about it I've never played Goemon 3 and 4 on SFC either, I bet there must be an english patch for them at this point...

Rydeen

Thanks for the answer impotaku. I'm a sucker for quirky games too, are those weird but quality, if a bit rough, gems and are they manageable with no text comprehension?

Goddamn I wish there was a translation patch for Kessakusen! Ganbare Goemon 1+2 -_-
Honestly don't care about that other game with its shitty futuristic aesthetics

Now that I think about it I've never played Goemon 3 and 4 on SFC either, I bet there must be an english patch for them at this point...
Believe it or not, there isn't. And as a die-hard fan of the Goemon series I've searched far and wide, and it doesn't exist. Too many translation groups measuring their E-penises by doing ANOTHER translation of a Squaresoft RPG that we all played 20 years ago, and too few translating great, not necessarily text heavy games that flew under the radar in the English speaking world.

Yes! There are a lot of 3D games on the GBA. For starter, if you want something that looks like Asterix, you can try kill.switch.

Lots of racing games also use 3D, like V-Rally 3 (best racing game on the system), Top Gear Rally and Colin McRae 2.0.

And then there are the bad ones, like Crazy Taxi, Herbie Fully Loaded or Driver 2. And let's not forget about Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam which looks very '80s (I don't really mean it as a compliment)

You also have tons of FPS games. Doomand Doom 2 are pretty good port of the original games in my opinion, but Ice Nine is the best there is. Both Ecks vs Sever games and Duke Nukem Advance are also pretty cool.

The pseudo 3D effect of Iridion 2 looks awesome too. It's miles better than whatever Star X was trying to achieve anyway.

And last but not least, there's Payback, a nice GTA clone.

The FPS games and V-Rally 3 run pretty well but everything else just aged horribly lol. Thanks for showing me that.

Dash Kappei

YES!!
Finally got a good deal on a proper GBA cart fit Mother 3 translated repro with 1.2.
€22, I think it's a very good deal. He also had Mother1+2 for €20 but I declined since the Earthbound port is bad imo and not really translated, I don't really care for Mother 1 or at least I want to get other games first... now if he had custom GBA boxes it would have been another story.

Some time ago I saw on ebay I think, a dude selling a custom GBA proper cardboard box (not NDS with card holder but proper GBA NA/EU sized cardboard box) for Mother 3, can't find it anymore.
Do you guys know where to find one?
Or how to have one done and where?

Now to hunt for Fire Emblem "Binding Blade" and Super Robot Taisen J, no way I'm spending $50+$50+shipping for those cart only repros.
Dash Kappei's Mother 3 eng 1.2 said:
pif6rXG.jpg

YES!!
Finally got a good deal on a proper GBA cart fit Mother 3 translated repro with 1.2.
€22, I think it's a very good deal. He also had Mother1+2 for €20 but I declined since the Earthbound port id bad imo and not really translated, I don't really care for Mother 1 or at least I want to get other games first... now if he had custom GBA boxes it would have been another story.

Some time ago I saw on ebay I think, a dude selling a custom GBA proper cardboard box (not NDS with card holder but proper GBA NA/EU sized cardboard box) for Mother 3, can't find it anymore.
Do you guys know where to find one?
Or how to have one done and where?

Now to hunt for Fire Emblem "Binding Sword", no way I'm spending $50 for that cart only repro.

pif6rXG.jpg

Check Uncletusk. Peronally, I'm thinking I might just go with the UGC, or whoever starts developing unique cases with instruction manual slips (like bitboxes from stonegamer or the gba/gb/gbc selection from http://www.customgamecases.com/). Having cardboard boxes for every single game is much too ambitious heh.

That's the same exact Mother 3 I have by the way, would you care to share it for others that would want it? I still can't remember where I got mine but I love the label and case for it.

Dash Kappei

Check Uncletusk. Peronally, I'm thinking I might just go with the UGC, or whoever starts developing unique cases with instruction manual slips (like bitboxes from stonegamer or the gba/gb/gbc selection from http://www.customgamecases.com/). Having cardboard boxes for every single game is much too ambitious heh.

That's the same exact Mother 3 I have by the way, would you care to share it for others that would want it? I still can't remember where I got mine but I love the label and case for it.

French dude on a vgforum, not a proper shop, sorry :(

TUSK is oos for Mother 3 + manual, nooooo! They only got Mother 1+2 box and Mother 3 manual, bummer.
My collection is all CiB besides a few (Fire Emblem, Wario Land 4, DK NES Classics, HarvMoon FoMT) and the repros so I think I might manage it problem is nobody makes them for anything but the most important repros I guess, but ordering from CGC is a bit costly since ordering 10 cases from EU costs $35 for the cases AND $35 for shipping. $70 like that, bam! Regardless site's awesome thanks for sharing!

Stonegamer doesn't offer GBA bitboxes unfortunately (yet??) :-(

TUSK is oos for Mother 3 + manual, nooooo! They only got Mother 1+2 box and Mother 3 manual, bummer.
My collection is all CiB besides a few (Fire Emblem, Wario Land 4, DK NES Classics, HarvMoon FoMT) and the repros so I think I might manage it problem is nobody makes them for anything but the most important repros I guess, but ordering from CGC is a bit costly since ordering 10 cases from EU costs $35 for the cases AND $35 for shipping. $70 like that, bam! Regardless site's awesome thanks for sharing!

Does this guy have any more Mother 3 carts to sell? I'm keen to get one.

No need to apologize heh I was just hoping to make it easier for everyone else. I figured it'd be a private seller =/

Also, my apologies I didn't know tusk was oos. In regards to bitboxes, there's no gba but the other site I linked (which tends to break) has a case that fits a manual and gba/gb/gbc games (they print the cover and it's $3.50 a pop I think). Seems like a good alternative although I haven't dived on it yet.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
How is the Retron 5? Does it play GB/C/A games better than the GameBoy Player on HDTVs?

I don't have component cables for my Gamecube, so I don't truly know how it holds up, but the Reton 5 outputs through HDMI. Games look great on my tv, but they don't necessarily look authentic when compared to original hardware on CRT tv's.

I really like my Retron though!

I've hit a lot of milestones in my life recently and to celebrate, I decided to get something I've always wanted. Gentlemen, I present to you... my precious:

I was so happy that my Retron 5 recognized the cartridge!
Wow that box art is gorgeous and understated. Way nicer than the European release.

I've hit a lot of milestones in my life recently and to celebrate, I decided to get something I've always wanted. Gentlemen, I present to you... my precious:

Brilliant. I love this game, even if I prefer gimmick. Would've loved to see what trip world would've looked like as a GBC title.

Congrats, that must have not been cheap at all.

cafemomo

QQ how does the GBA port of 4 hold up? I own the 3D version on DS, but would probaly be up to either add-on or replace the DS version with the GBA version if there's a consensus on which is better.

IV on the GBA is fine. But if you want to go for a easier route, go with the PSP - or if you want harder, there is the DS.

Personally, PSP version sprites look vomit inducing and DS version got me frustrated at times so I usually roll with the GBA port

Mercutio

That is FANTASTIC.

But man. I hope you'll play it on some authentic hardware too! Seems a shame to just dump and play the ROM of something so precious and awesome.

This looks really neat for a GB game. First I've heard of it.

Impotaku

It's expensive for a very good reason, it's an excellent game so everyone wants it. The one posted is in astounding condition, finding the cart on it's own is hard enough to find a complete mint boxed copy is something special.

I guess this would be the place to ask this. How do you guys feel about getting Mother 3 English repro carts with an ESRB rating on the label? Is there a feeling of "lack of authenticity"? Obviously the entire premise of it is lacking authenticity, but it kinda adds to the "fakeness" to have a game labelled as ESRB rated that never was. I'm interested in the perspective of more hardcore collectors that you guys seem to be.

Impotaku

Personally if someone wants to pretend it's a real one by adding the ratings logo for a copy in their collection then i have no problem with it, if they try and pass it off as a real cart when selling one then i would have a problem. Sadly ebay is already rife with people selling repro boxes and manuals for games and pretending they are originals.

For me i class repros in the same catagory as bootlegs, i wouldn't pay much for one. Even if they are transplanting the rom into a real nintendo cart as a donor it's still a fake.

Peltz

I guess this would be the place to ask this. How do you guys feel about getting Mother 3 English repro carts with an ESRB rating on the label? Is there a feeling of "lack of authenticity"? Obviously the entire premise of it is lacking authenticity, but it kinda adds to the "fakeness" to have a game labelled as ESRB rated that never was. I'm interested in the perspective of more hardcore collectors that you guys seem to be.

I wouldn't want the seal or the E rating. In fact, some sort of custom seal to indicate it's a repro would be best. I think I've asked for no seals on my previously acquired repros, but now I can't remember.

As far as authenticity and collectibility goes, I think the most kosher wayis import the official Japan release, rip it, then apply the patch yourself and load it onto a EZF4 or similar.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Wow that box art is gorgeous and understated. Way nicer than the European release.

Yeah, the boxart is REALLY nice! For the longest time I had always thought it looked pretty drab in comparison to the PAL version in the pictures that I'd see. Now, I prefer the Japanese release! I just wish the box was a North American/European sized box.

Brilliant. I love this game, even if I prefer gimmick. Would've loved to see what trip world would've looked like as a GBC title.

Same here! I mean I love the way the game looks in black and white, but when I think of what this game would've looked like in full color, I always imagine some kind of Studio Ghibli looking color palette.

Congrats, that must have not been cheap at all.

I definitely had to think about this one before committing to buying it, BUT I still paid less than what price charting says and less than what they've historically gone for on ebay, so I'm happy. The lady friend is happy too since she doesn't have to listen to me talk about this game or see me pining over it, haha.

That is FANTASTIC.

But man. I hope you'll play it on some authentic hardware too! Seems a shame to just dump and play the ROM of something so precious and awesome.

I might play it on my clamshell GBA, but I'm terrified of putting it in my DMG-01 or Super Boy because of how far the cartridge slides down into the game slot. I really don't want to mess up the label. With the Retron 5, the card slot isn't that deep so there's not much to worry about. It'll definitely get a lot of play time no matter what though!

This looks really neat for a GB game. First I've heard of it.

It's such an awesome game! You can tell Sunsoft put a lot of effort and love into it. The details (especially for it being an OG game boy game) are what make me smile every time I see the game in action.

Cheerilee

It should be rated E for Earthbound 2, by the BSER. And it should have the Nintendo Seal of Can't Afford to Publish Their Own Damn Games Even When They Own the Supply Channel. Also, that "USA" on the fake serial number should be replaced with "LOL".

Mercutio

Same here! I mean I love the way the game looks in black and white, but when I think of what this game would've looked like in full color, I always imagine some kind of Studio Ghibli looking color palette

I might play it on my clamshell GBA, but I'm terrified of putting it in my DMG-01 or Super Boy because of how far the cartridge slides down into the game slot. I really don't want to mess up the label. With the Retron 5, the card slot isn't that deep so there's not much to worry about. It'll definitely get a lot of play time no matter what though!

It's such an awesome game! You can tell Sunsoft put a lot of effort and love into it. The details (especially for it being an OG game boy game) are what make me smile every time I see the game in action.

I just popped my new mint / complete Magical Chase HuCard into my PC Engine for the first time, so I know how you're feeling. I really think it's important to play it on the hardware it was designed for. Something about the game being truly used as intended feels great.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I actually just went ahead and ordered one with that same label because it was only $20. I did also find this one with a "Fan Translation" label, but $36 was too much for me for just the cart ($45 with the case):

https://www.etsy.com/listing/189020...free-shipping-mother-3?ref=shop_home_active_2

Still cool to see though.

The heck? This store is awesome... thanks for linking it. I thought it was just one vendor selling stuff but it's got a lot more than just 1 vendor.

Dash Kappei

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I actually just went ahead and ordered one with that same label because it was only $20. I did also find this one with a "Fan Translation" label, but $36 was too much for me for just the cart ($45 with the case):

https://www.etsy.com/listing/189020...free-shipping-mother-3?ref=shop_home_active_2

Still cool to see though.

$24 and without the horrible translucent blue cart but instead using a proper GBA shell (Ships to US only, reason I didn't buy it the other day)

il_570xN.736763984_pg2t.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/it/listing/224950868/mother3-fan-made-english-game-boy?ref=market

Btw guys, there are fan-made GBA remasters/ports of the Oracle games?! How are they?
Time to take out my EZIV.
Also Suikoden Card game fan translated, I got a few games to try

SpotAnime

THERE WAS A POKEMON TCG 2?!

TIL:

A second Game Boy Color game, Pokémon Card GB2: Great Rocket-Dan Sanjō! (ポケモンカードGB2 GR団参上! Pokémon Card GB2: Here Comes Team Great Rocket!?), was released in Japan in March 2001. The game was not released in North America nor Europe. An addition to the sequel is the ability to choose the gender of the player character.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_Trading_Card_Game_(video_game)

There is a fan translation to English, however:

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1736/

What makes a repro different from a fake?

Are all of those fake Pokemon games floating around "repros"?

Well usually a repro identifies itself as a repro. Generally it's a game that's previously been commercially unavailable, like a US version of Mega Man: The Wily Wars on Genesis, or Gimmick on NES. Or it's a fan translation, like Mother 3 on GBA, or Final Fantasy V on SNES.

Hagane there is a straight up bootleg.

Well usually a repro identifies itself as a repro. Generally it's a game that's previously been commercially unavailable, like a US version of Mega Man: The Wily Wars on Genesis, or Gimmick on NES. Or it's a fan translation, like Mother 3 on GBA, or Final Fantasy V on SNES.

Hagane there is a straight up bootleg.

Yes, that is why I don't have an issue with repros trying to look like "authentic" games. Since their very existence should be indication of it not being authentic, mentioning or making clear that it isn't shouldn't be necessary. Making them for games that are out in the region you are making them for isn't a repro to me, it's a bootleg. Also why I hate all the "disk print" nonsense.

CBTech

Question for those who have a modded backlit GBA. When playing Gameboy or Gameboy Color games on this screen, do you have sprites darken when they are moving? Using Oracle of Seasons as an example, Link will somewhat darken like his black outline of his sprite gets thicker. Or in Metroid 2 the dark orange of Samus's suit stands out while moving but not while standing still. These colors do not change on my original SP. This problem does not seem to exist on GBA games. Is it just the nature of the different screen that causes these issues?

On that note, what would you all consider the best way to play Gameboy and Gameboy Color games? Are there backlit Gameboy Colors?

Top Bottom