• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Question for those who have a modded backlit GBA. When playing Gameboy or Gameboy Color games on this screen, do you have sprites darken when they are moving? Using Oracle of Seasons as an example, Link will somewhat darken like his black outline of his sprite gets thicker. Or in Metroid 2 the dark orange of Samus's suit stands out while moving but not while standing still. These colors do not change on my original SP. This problem does not seem to exist on GBA games. Is it just the nature of the different screen that causes these issues?

On that note, what would you all consider the best way to play Gameboy and Gameboy Color games? Are there backlit Gameboy Colors?
Its the ghosting for sure. It exists for GBA games too, just try Mario 3. I think most GBA games don't have as high contrast colors as GBC games. A lot of GBC games have black sprite outlines and white fill, or white background. The limitations of the old GB kinda forces that in a lot of cases.

There are front light mods for GBC but they use butchered SPs, and I've not heard great things about these mods. The GBC screen is pretty good in good light though, much easier to see than the non backlight GBA.

There are some clones out there called GB BOY and GB BOY COLOR if u want a backlit monochrome or color game boy but the aspect ratio is wrong and the controls look bad.

Game Boy Light is the original backlit gameboy but you obviously can't play GBC games on it.

CBTech

Thanks for the replies. Makes sense that it is ghosting. The ghosting isn't that big of a deal, especially with the rest of it being fantastic. I got my replacement GBA from the ebay seller today and just noticed the issue. The replacement he sent has much better feeling buttons and I didn't have the cart reading issues I had with the first one he sent me. Can't wait to replay some GBA games.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Here is my humble GB/GBC/GBA collection. Not pictured are an e-Reader, GB camera, Super Gameboy, and Gameboy Player.

Only have a Micro left for portable GB action. Kind of want to get a frontlit SP but I don't play these games enough anymore.
16890241970_da1f7ab449_z.jpg

GB/GBC games. All boxed games are complete. With the loose games, I have the manuals for Mega Man V and Bubble Ghost.

U.S. GBA games.

Japanese GBA games.

Used to have a lot more titles and am thinking about increasing the size of my collection again. One game I'd like to have again is Shining Soul II. Would love to see that on a Micro!

jonno394

Hey guys, just looking for a quick opinion. As I'm finding myself playing my Vita more than my consoles, I'm tempted to dive in to another handheld, and the one that attracts me the most is the GBA. Would you recommend going the GBA route or just buying a DS?

TheMoon

Hey guys, just looking for a quick opinion. As I'm finding myself playing my Vita more than my consoles, I'm tempted to dive in to another handheld, and the one that attracts me the most is the GBA. Would you recommend going the GBA route or just buying a DS?

Buy a DSLite. Unless you're looking to play OG GB and GBC games, too.

Peltz

I lent my Link's Awakening DX cart to a girl I'm seeing and I want to end things with her. It looks like I can kiss that cart goodbye :-(

Chastten

Banned

I know most people don't have any issues with it, but I personally REALLY dislike playing GBA games on a DS. The action button layout is just... off. In something turn based that isnt such a big deal, but anything that requires speed is a no go for me.

jonno394

I lent my Link's Awakening DX cart to a girl I'm seeing and I want to end things with her. It looks like I can kiss that cart goodbye :-(

Don't end it with her until you get the cart back. Maybe go round hers when you're ending it, and make sure you grab the cart first!!!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I know most people don't have any issues with it, but I personally REALLY dislike playing GBA games on a DS. The action button layout is just... off. In something turn based that isnt such a big deal, but anything that requires speed is a no go for me.

I'm the same way. Would rather play on a GBA SP or Micro.

Peltz

Don't end it with her until you get the cart back. Maybe go round hers when you're ending it, and make sure you grab the cart first!!!

A replacement costs $20... I may just go that route rather than having to do it in person and needing to possibly pay for dinner or a drink. It'll end up costing me less time/money in the long run. She lives an hour away by subway and I'd rather not spend +2 hours just to end it just for the mere possibility of being able to grab my cart.

$20 is a small price to pay at this point I think. It's a cleaner break and I'd prefer it that way.

Craft

A replacement costs $20... I may just go that route rather than having to do it in person and needing to possibly pay for dinner or a drink. It'll end up costing me less time/money in the long run. She lives an hour away by subway and I'd rather not spend +2 hours just to end it just for the mere possibility of being able to grab my cart.

$20 is a small price to pay at this point I think. It's a cleaner break and I'd prefer it that way.

Is it unreasonable to just break up with her and then ask to post you the game back when she is done with it?

Totally agreed. I prefer the slant on GBA buttons, much easier to run and jump in games like Mario Advance / DKC.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
My fellow gaffers, METROID FUSION NEW CIB for Eur20+shipping (EU version, legit) (it's 4.50€ shipping or €11 worldwide)
It's NEW but not sealed (you'll see why) and also better ask for the best copy they have and give you pics of the one you're getting (he has many and a couple are not in the same near mint/very good conditions as the others)

Quote to see and look at the pics to know exactly what you're buying.
It's an incredible price imo, hope you guys will be happy and give me a few tips when I'll be looking for something myself. There's not many left, act fast if interested

QUOTE to see

cool!

jonno394

Hey guys, looking for a backlit GBA SP on ebay, is there a way for a person not well versed in the differences to distinguish between a front lit SP and a backlit SP (ie will the model numbers differ so I can just ask the seller to tell me what the model number is?)

edit - dont worry, I discovered the model numbers are shown on the base of the GBA SP so I can ask random sellers to check :)

Peltz

Hey guys, looking for a backlit GBA SP on ebay, is there a way for a person not well versed in the differences to distinguish between a front lit SP and a backlit SP (ie will the model numbers differ so I can just ask the seller to tell me what the model number is?)

Yes, you want an AGS-101 not an AGS-001

My fellow gaffers, METROID FUSION NEW CIB for Eur20+shipping (EU version, legit) (it's 4.50€ shipping or €11 worldwide)
It's NEW but not sealed (you'll see why) and also better ask for the best copy they have and give you pics of the one you're getting (he has many and a couple are not in the same near mint/very good conditions as the others)

Quote to see and look at the pics to know exactly what you're buying.
It's an incredible price imo, hope you guys will be happy and give me a few tips when I'll be looking for something myself. There's not many left, act fast if interested

QUOTE to see
I already have the game, but just want to say thanks for the tip. Anyone that wants the GBA cart, go for it!

jonno394

looked through dozens and dozens of UK listings, no dice so far unless I want to pay close to £80 for an AGS-101. Hopefully I find a bargain with some of the ones i've messaged!

looked through dozens and dozens of UK listings, no dice so far unless I want to pay close to £80 for an AGS-101. Hopefully I find a bargain with some of the ones i've messaged!

AGS-101 was only saw wide release in North America. It's much harder to find in Europe (and nigh impossible in Japan where it never got an official release).

jonno394

AGS-101 was only saw wide release in North America. It's much harder to find in Europe (and nigh impossible in Japan where it never got an official release).

Ah, that will make sense then, will just monitor new listings for ags-101 and hope I can find one for around £50.

Mr. Virus

I managed to pick one up for £10 in a Cash Generator. Case was a bit scuffed but the screen was fine. May be worth checking in those type of shops if you've any nearby.

I know it's not necessarily in your price range, but if you'd consider new, there's a guy in Turkey selling new ones starting at £109.99 + £20 postage. I have a black backlit system I bought from eBay US years ago, and then bought a pearl green one off this guy as a backup system last year.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/131454818413?nav=SEARCH

braves01

Banned
Do you really want to know? Asking for your sanity's sake. :D

I looked it up on pricecharting and saw $295

O.O

I'm not sure if that's considered a solid way to price things, but I was looking at it earlier since I'm thinking about selling my mostly cib GBA collection. I don't have Ninja Five-O unfortunately, lol.

Yeah, you can kiss it goodbye if you're too wimpy or clueless to claim your property, Biff. As someone else said, discreetly get your cart back FIRST. Not getting an item you own back before you break up would be a textbook dumb mistake of George Costanza proportions. Otherwise you'll have to manufacture a goofy caper later with Jerry or Kramer to sneak back in her apartment to swap a Crash Test Dummies GB cart for the Link's Awakening cart.

Peltz

Yeah, you can kiss it goodbye if you're too wimpy or clueless to claim your property, Biff. As someone else said, discreetly get your cart back FIRST. Not getting an item you own back before you break up would be a textbook dumb mistake of George Costanza proportions. Otherwise you'll have to manufacture a goofy caper later with Jerry or Kramer to sneak back in her apartment to swap a Crash Test Dummies GB cart for the Link's Awakening cart.

I literally spit my drink out laughing from this post.

TheMoon

Woah. I have the just the cart. I used to have the box and instructions but got rid of them during my GBA game box purge about 5 years ago. Space issues.

Are you insane. You could've sold them! I thought the world had learned from the 8-16-64bit eras that throwing away boxes is a mistake.

Just found this thread and am so envious at a lot of collectors here, amazing stuff!

I've been a fan of the Gameboy ever since I got one back near the time they were released. I remember a friend who's dad just brought one back from the states (I was overseas at the time) and I could not live without one. I've owned many different ones and got rid of them for various stupid reasons, but recently started collecting again:

kxK2BP2.jpg

I know it's laughable in comparison to most everyone's, but I still enjoy getting new things that were old all over again.

Top Bottom