• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Mega

Banned
That's because the 3DS has more features that are constantly "on" when in sleep mode (e.g. streetpass).

Yeah, those always on features have serious battery drain even when the system is just sitting at home doing nothing. After about a day or two of no use whatsoever it goes from full charge to flashing red. While not a totally fair comparison, I can flip open my Macbook after weeks of being idle and it still has juice in it. A better comparison is a smartphone which has many always on features and some of the better ones can last a week on standby. I don't expect a $199 gaming handheld to have the same amazing battery specs as a high end phone but I think Nintendo does have room for improvement when it comes to battery life management.

edit: Actually, non-flagship phones with "low" res screens (qHD, 720p), mid-tier specs and low-ish price tags tend to have really amazing battery life. In that regard, the 3DS has awful battery life awake or asleep.

prateeko

Yeah, the 3DS sleep battery life is a crime, but dammit if I don't love seeing that green light when I come home from a trip (esp going through an airport).

Also, I found a seller (a couple actually) on eBay who have replacement screen lenses for various GB models including some of the Pokémon GBAs. I have no idea how the quality of their product is (links below) but I wonder if they'd do for replacing otherwise irreplaceable screens?

http://stores.ebay.com/mortoffgames/_i.html?_dmd=2&_nkw=screen&_sop=2&rt=nc

Yeah, the 3DS sleep battery life is a crime, but dammit if I don't love seeing that green light when I come home from a trip (esp going through an airport).

Also, I found a seller (a couple actually) on eBay who have replacement screen lenses for various GB models including some of the Pokémon GBAs. I have no idea how the quality of their product is (links below) but I wonder if they'd do for replacing otherwise irreplaceable screens?

http://stores.ebay.com/mortoffgames/_i.html?_dmd=2&_nkw=screen&_sop=2&rt=nc
I have not once seen a replacement lense for the Pokémon Yellow GBC. The one with the pokeball over the power LED with Pikachu, Togepie, and Jigglypuff on it

Mine is scratched pretty badly from being the one I had as a kid, I'd love to get a replacement lense without needing to buy the whole unit.

This one:
wUB9wWF.jpg

Peagles

I have not once seen a replacement lense for the Pokémon Yellow GBC. The one with the pokeball over the power LED with Pikachu, Togepie, and Jigglypuff on it

Mine is scratched pretty badly from being the one I had as a kid, I'd love to get a replacement lense without needing to buy the whole unit.

This one:

Aliexpress sellers have that one. And some other LE lenses.

Edit: For example... http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Newe...Mario-Version-Plastic-Screen/32645218727.html

Aliexpress sellers have that one. And some other LE lenses.

Edit: For example... http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Newe...Mario-Version-Plastic-Screen/32645218727.html

Yeah I picked up one from nintendorepairhut and I'm pretty happy with it. I also grabbed a new UPC sticker and battery cover (mine was scratched all to hell).

Had to replace the speaker as well but now system hasn't looked/played this great since December 1999.

Ended up backlighting the Pocket I picked up at a second-hand market as well. Wanted to see how it would look without the resistor (heard it was a little too dim with it) but once the new case shows up I'll go back and put that part in along with the glass screen.

prateeko

I had no idea about Nintendorepairhut and totally forgot about Aliexpress. I'm guessing over the various sellers on Aliexpress all the LE/SE system reproduction screen lenses are available.

I've been adding to my GBA collection recently. When you start digging into the library it has some of the best retro games available. With Retro games so hot right now I'm surprised (and glad) the GBA doesn't get more attention. I have a lot more games I've identified as must buy's when I find them complete at a good price.

I was worried about bootlegs and did get a fake Metroid Fusion and Harvest Moon but otherwise Everything has been legit. I think buying complete helps limit the number of fakes.

I just grabbed Wade Hixton's Counter Punch and Sword of Mana. I've heard good things about Wade Hixton's and decided to grab a copy since it was cheap and I like Punch Out.

MANUELF

Banned
I only have 4 boxed GBA games(Pokemon LeafGreen, Pokemon Emerald, Superstar Saga and Final Fantasy 6 advance)never had a gameboy just a DS

Really? I feel like the cost of GB/GBC/GBA games and hardware has been quite on the rise

There are a handful of games that are getting more expensive but it's not an across the market never ending rise like NES or SNES.

I could point out Trip World, Mega Man 5, and Shantae as the higher tier expensive games on the system. There are some other games that are just perma-higher cost like Pokemon due to extreme demand. Outside of that there are a small number of games like Dragon Warrior 3 and Metal Gear Solid that are tracking up largely on the backs of a popular franchise.

And then it's an ocean of cheap titles that don't seem to be on the rise, even cheaper if you want to just buy JP versions. Even when it comes to "the expensive ones" it's all cheap compared to where SNES games are.

As far as hardware goes, GB Light, GB Micro, and SP 101 are expensive. All three are ticking up. The latter two have a reputation as "the best hardware" but the dirty secret of GB hardware is that it's all kind of not good enough and I don't think it's really advisable to waste your money on expensive GB hardware when you can just go the GB Player route + cheap non-backlit units for playing in the sun.

It's also getting ridiculous to find good quality replacement parts. With RCG no longer making them it is hard to find a good quality faceplate for the GB Micro unless you want to pay over $30. I wish I manged to get one of theirs.

Rich!

I wouldn't describe the rcg ones as quality. and I think you can still find those on aliexpress? Not sure.

They are literally exactly the same. No joke. Same manufacturer - they ripped RCG off, basically.

Either way, for the consumer, you are being ripped off if you buy from RCG. Their markup is ridiculous - you can buy the exact same shell from a chinese seller on ebay for a fiver. And that's all there is to it.

In other news, I have a replacement backlit GBP coming soon :D And it will be under lock and key this time.

They are literally exactly the same. No joke. Same manufacturer - they ripped RCG off, basically.

Either way, for the consumer, you are being ripped off if you buy from RCG. Their markup is ridiculous - you can buy the exact same shell from a chinese seller on ebay for a fiver. And that's all there is to it.

In other news, I have a replacement backlit GBP coming soon :D And it will be under lock and key this time.
Unless I'm missing something obvious I can't find either. I just want something better than the RepairBox ones that blur the screen.

Good to hear. I wish I could have seen the look on the theif's face when he opened the case and saw a Game Boy.

Rich!

Unless I'm missing something obvious I can't find either. I just want something better than the RepairBox ones that blur the screen.

eh?

what are you on about. any sane person would just use a glass replacement screen with their shell.

eh?

what are you on about. any sane person would just use a glass replacement screen with their shell.
The RepairBox Game Boy Micro faceplates that go for around $10 on ebay. The screen area isn't 100% transparent so it softens the image and the very bottom row of pixels is obscured.

Rich!

The RepairBox Game Boy Micro faceplates that go for around $10 on ebay. The screen area isn't 100% transparent so it softens the image and the very bottom row of pixels is obscured.

oh.

I'm not talking about the micro. I'm on about the original GBA.

Yes, I know.
Yeah, I've tried one. They're garbage. Honestly there still isn't a good option. Someone posted on /r/Gameboy about having buffed an old scratched up OEM faceplate. Results seem pretty good. Might be worth a shot. I intend to try it out sometime in the near future.
oh.

I'm not talking about the micro. I'm on about the original GBA.
But he wasn't?

Yeah, looks legit to me. Battery being dead isn't such a big deal for GBA games (relative to games which save via the battery), so that's probably why it wasn't mentioned.

Yes, I know.

Yeah, I've tried one. They're garbage. Honestly there still isn't a good option. Someone posted on /r/Gameboy about having buffed an old scratched up OEM faceplate. Results seem pretty good. Might be worth a shot. I intend to try it out sometime in the near future.

But he wasn't?
Do you have a direct link?

Famassu

I've been thinking of starting to collect some GBA games, but given the prices of CIB copies, I'll probably have to buy game cartridges only. A couple of questions...

1) is there a good place to buy GBA games from (with worldwide delivery) that don't have the usual rampant problems with pirated copies? Like some retro gaming community that has a B/S/T possibility & who pride themselves of only selling legit shit. Or do I just need to pester eBay sellers to provide me with good quality pictures that I can make sure what they are selling is not pirated?

2) Any good... thingies to store loose copies of GBA games in that are still sold somewhere (used or otherwise)?

2) Any good... thingies to store loose copies of GBA games in that are still sold somewhere (used or otherwise)?

I use DS game cases and store them in the GBA slot. Nintendo was selling them for a long time directly. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but it should be fairly easy to find them in the after market.

prateeko

Unfortunately the modern DS cases no longer have clips for GBA games. There is now a 3rd-party solution, but I haven't had any experience with them http://www.customgamecases.com

I actually remember when they were being made (over on TheCoverProject's forums) and got in on early batches at a discount. I LOVE the way they came out and used them to collect GBA games + manuals (my original collection was stolen although most of my boxes were left (with their manuals I suppose) in my parent's home years back) and I think the end result, especially if you to TheCoverProject and print out proper fitting coverart from Kinko's.

Here is how mine looks:
6lWDbJa.jpg

It fits GB, GBC, and GBA games. Can't beat that, especially since it's the same color as DS cases.

Granted initially I got in on them with discounted cost (ended up paying less than $1.20 per case with shipping included) - you may be able to get a cheaper rate if you get them directly from him (can't recall his username, wanna say something with fox, site is down at the moment) on TCP's forums.

Famassu

I use DS game cases and store them in the GBA slot. Nintendo was selling them for a long time directly. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but it should be fairly easy to find them in the after market.
That looks promising. Will try whenever I manage to buy some GBA games.

Rich!

Bought a couple of consoles from a member here last week (shipped 6th April USA to UK first class international USPS)

Tracking doesn't work because USPS suck and apparently don't offer it on standard first class anymore despite the fact I have a tracking number from the receipt. Parcel hasn't turned up yet.

Not doubting the seller as I have a copy of the receipt he sent me, but it's worrying anyhow. I don't like not knowing where my stuff is!

Bought a couple of consoles from a member here last week (shipped 6th April USA to UK first class international USPS)

Tracking doesn't work because USPS suck and apparently don't offer it on standard first class anymore despite the fact I have a tracking number from the receipt. Parcel hasn't turned up yet.

Not doubting the seller as I have a copy of the receipt he sent me, but it's worrying anyhow. I don't like not knowing where my stuff is!
Rich, is the tracking number something like:

LC163647382847US

I may has the letters wrong. If so, you should go to the Parcelforce site and use this tracking reference, tick the incoming international parcel box.

Hope it works.

Rich!

Rich, is the tracking number something like:

LC163647382847US

I may has the letters wrong. If so, you should go to the Parcelforce site and use this tracking reference, tick the incoming international parcel box.

Hope it works.

It's just like that number. I can't find that tickbox though! Where is it?

I've looked everywhere on the parcelforce site and cannot find such an option. Feeling like a muppet here

Rich!

PM feature is tragically underutilized.

Pity there's no piss and moan feature for you to utilise.

For what it's worth, the guy I'm on about is banned. So who am I to PM, eh? This is a public forum, of which I've been a member for seven years, and I am publically asking for help on a query regarding a purchase of Game Boy consoles.

So what exactly is your issue?

Mega

Banned
Question: Where can I buy a modified GBA with backlight?

Edit: I'm in Italy, Europe

GAF user RoninChaos is selling his modded GBA last I saw.

You could also check out eBay. phvn177 in Vietnam probably has the lowest Buy it Now prices if you don't wanna wait for auctions. I took a chance on a frontlit GBC... I was disappointed at first, but that was on me for expecting too much of a frontlit screen. He did the best given the frontlight's inherent shortcomings and the modded GBC itself is otherwise very nice quality. He was very responsive to answering questions too. I ordered one of his modded GBAs which should arrive this upcoming week. He's sold out at the moment but check back often for new listings.

There's also pomaru8, ebayer in Russia who regularly sells modded GBAs for around the same prices. I never bought from him and can't comment on his stuff, but his feedback indicates buyers are happy with his work.

It's just like that number. I can't find that tickbox though! Where is it?

I've looked everywhere on the parcelforce site and cannot find such an option. Feeling like a muppet here
Oh sorry, maybe there's no longer a tick box. It's been a while since I've had to track an incoming first class USPS package (I get quite a few), as they usually get here in 7-10 days tops. Once even 6 days, I think.

I'm on a train, and am having trouble browsing, but try this page:

http://tracking.parcelforce.net/Pfw/index.html?HOME_DISPLAY=public

There's no tick box on here but maybe you can track it anyway. Please note that packages are only trackable when the item reaches and is processed in the UK.

EDIT: how did you pay the person, PayPal? If so, try e-mailing them direct to the PayPal address.

Rich!

neither worked, thanks anyhow guys

But regardless, I managed to get in contact with someone who actually works for USPS. He went into work and checked for me! It left LA on 8th April, likely arrived in Heathrow the day after. So it's UK customs being a pain in the ass.

I'll get it tomorrow hopefully! Back in the backlit GBA club!

Jayne

So do y'all think it's worth $90 (plus about $5 for shipping from china) for a kit containing all the components needed to backlight my old GBA? I have been wanting to do it for a while but I've got 2 working Micro's and 2 working ds lite's so it's not exactly like I am NEED of a backlit console to play my GBA games. I know most of you who have them are pretty happy with your backlit original GBA's, so I guess I'm just wondering if those who have them could share with me if/why you prefer the original backlit GBA over a micro or ds lite for playing your GBA games. Maybe try to convince me one way or the other? :p

neither worked, thanks anyhow guys

But regardless, I managed to get in contact with someone who actually works for USPS. He went into work and checked for me! It left LA on 8th April, likely arrived in Heathrow the day after. So it's UK customs being a pain in the ass.

I'll get it tomorrow hopefully! Back in the backlit GBA club!
Hmmm. If it is caught in customs, you'll either receive a letter demanding payment or the delivery person will ask you for payment before they can hand you the parcel.

Peagles

So do y'all think it's worth $90 (plus about $5 for shipping from china) for a kit containing all the components needed to backlight my old GBA? I have been wanting to do it for a while but I've got 2 working Micro's and 2 working ds lite's so it's not exactly like I am NEED of a backlit console to play my GBA games. I know most of you who have them are pretty happy with your backlit original GBA's, so I guess I'm just wondering if those who have them could share with me if/why you prefer the original backlit GBA over a micro or ds lite for playing your GBA games. Maybe try to convince me one way or the other? :p

Yes. The supply has dried up so $90 isn't a bad price these days. If you want one, waiting will only make things worse lol.

I have a bunch of Micros, DS Lites, and even SP-101s but my go to is the backlit OG GBA. There's a few reasons... I prefer the form factor and find it much more comfortable to hold over long periods of time, it takes AAs so no worries about charging or replacing the battery in the future, screen is bigger than the Micro, and it has a headphone jack unlike the SP (though it's not great quality compared to the Lite I must concede). The DS Lite is probably a close second but I'm not fond of the button layout for GBA games in particular. Backlit OG GBA is not a must for everyone, but for me it's my favourite by far.

Top Bottom