• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Rich!

Hmmm. If it is caught in customs, you'll either receive a letter demanding payment or the delivery person will ask you for payment before they can hand you the parcel.

I doubt it will be...it's been marked as a gift way under the limit. I think they're just being slow.

Tenrius

The L and R buttons on my SP typicaly don't work very well. Rather, they barely register any presses UNLESS I blow inside them really hard. They it's all right for a short while, as long as I keep ocassionally pressing the buttons, but they normally revert back to their original barely functional state by the next time I play the SP.

Any idea what's going on inside? I could understand them being generally busted and being dirty, but the former shouldn't allow it to work at all and the latter shouldn't happen THIS often. This system is kinda battered, by the way, and it was in this state when I bought it, but it's an AGS-101 with an amazing screen, so I keep using it.

fester

Banned
Yes. The supply has dried up so $90 isn't a bad price these days. If you want one, waiting will only make things worse lol.

I have a bunch of Micros, DS Lites, and even SP-101s but my go to is the backlit OG GBA. There's a few reasons... I prefer the form factor and find it much more comfortable to hold over long periods of time, it takes AAs so no worries about charging or replacing the battery in the future, screen is bigger than the Micro, and it has a headphone jack unlike the SP (though it's not great quality compared to the Lite I must concede). The DS Lite is probably a close second but I'm not fond of the button layout for GBA games in particular. Backlit OG GBA is not a must for everyone, but for me it's my favourite by far.

I've been on the fence for a backlit OG GBA for a while and this pushed me a little closer to pulling the trigger. Is the mod easy enough to do or would I be more satisfied with the results of having someone more "professional" do it? I did my own afterburner mod back in the day, but was never really happy with it.

12994300_10101435792652386_8304196069105361364_n.jpg

My first attempt at a DS Macro. Forgot to put the shoulder buttons back in, but at least I've proved my soldering skills.

Next up will be the Bondo and painting. I'm practicing with this white system, because the bottom screen is super scratched up. My actual system will be a black one I picked up super cheap.

Peagles

I've been on the fence for a backlit OG GBA for a while and this pushed me a little closer to pulling the trigger. Is the mod easy enough to do or would I be more satisfied with the results of having someone more "professional" do it? I did my own afterburner mod back in the day, but was never really happy with it.

It's easy enough. If you take your time and work in a good environment with the right tools you should be fine. I think it's the finer skills like not getting dust or fingerprints on annoying places that makes the difference. Often the "professional" people don't take much note of those finer details anyway (which is why I prefer to do stuff myself) so if you take your time I think you could do a better job honestly.

And hey, if you mess it up, you could always post it to someone who can fix it up for you :)

Mega

Banned
Does removing the RF shield from a GBP cause any problems? Asking because the modder who is building my backlit/biverted GBP is giving the option.

Rich!

yay

my parcel turned up at my cafe earlier. Won't have it until later, but the GAF member I bought from is awesome

photos of some backlit GBAs coming up tonight!

Rich!

Nice looking mods.

Put 'em on lanyards when you go to cafes from now on.

They ain't leaving the house.

One might be a backup model if I do though. And yes, lanyards! That strap hole will get use. I have a nice blue transparent shell that I may put the black one into. Not sure which one will be my main yet!

Just need to get another pocket (the guy who did my DMG is making one for me, hopefully by end of next week) and then I have the entire backlit set!

Mega

Banned
Aw yeeesss

dsc_1265a9si6.jpg

Very nice. I have a second backlit GBA coming any day now. Nice bright orange shell to contrast with the black one I have now. :)

On a side note, I warmed up the frontlit modded GBC. It just takes some getting used to after 10+ years of backlit LCD handhelds.

Rich!

That's great news, glad your package arrived. Why did it get delivered to your local cafe though? Is this the cafe that the GBP got stolen from?

No no

I own a cafe! That's not the one I lost the pocket at, that place was a costa coffee joint.

anyhow, I only have two issues with these consoles. 1 - the dpad on the blue one is not doing well on right presses. 2. The black model suffers from pressure on the screen when I press d-pad right and up and B. Both are easy fixes...I think. i also bought an ez flash iv for £20 whilst I wait for the GBA Everdrive. And uh, lol:

that's wario land 4 in NOR memory. It works, but yeah.

come on krikzz. Save us.

No no

I own a cafe! That's not the one I lost the pocket at, that place was a costa coffee joint.

anyhow, I only have two issues with these consoles. 1 - the dpad on the blue one is not doing well on right presses. 2. The black model suffers from pressure on the screen when I press d-pad right and up and B. Both are easy fixes...I think. i also bought an ez flash iv for £20 whilst I wait for the GBA Everdrive. And uh, lol:

that's wario land 4 in NOR memory. It works, but yeah.

come on krikzz. Save us.
Hah, I see. Hopefully you can sort out those issues. Re. Everdrive: I look forward to it!

Just venting:

I've wanted a Gameboy Micro for literally seven years now. It's just soooo freaking cute! It looks adorable! But, I've never really been able to justify the expense.

Well, I finally bought one off of another Gaffer on Sunday. Because I don't actually have any GBA games, I subsequently ordered a custom Mother 3 cart off of Etsy, because, well, out of everything in the GBA library, this seemed like the title I most needed to play.

Well, the cart seems to be busted. I can get to the main menu and start a new game, but the system freezes after a few seconds on the character select screen.

Crap.

So now I have this adorable, incredible system in my hands that I have lusted after for nearly a decade, and I CAN'T—FREAKING—USE IT!

Grrrr!

Mega

Banned
Is the seller selling multiple ones?

Yes, several. He posted a new batch and sells out pretty regularly. Name is phv177n based in Vietnam.

I got my GBA from him today. It has (the original?) plastic screen instead of glass like my black GBA. I can also peek the backlight underneath the bezel. I guess that's entirely normal but something in the build of the black GBA hides it very well as you can see in the pics. Overall still a very nice unit. Screen is perfect, buttons are good, and that orange shell is awesome.

prateeko

For those of you getting the AGB-101s, can you see the (R) inside the Nintendo logo at the top or is it an empty circle? I have a theory that the newly made shells just have a ( ) circle whereas the original Nintendo shells actually have the (R)...

Peagles

For those of you getting the AGB-101s, can you see the (R) inside the Nintendo logo at the top or is it an empty circle? I have a theory that the newly made shells just have a ( ) circle whereas the original Nintendo shells actually have the (R)...

It's more than a theory. It's the truth :)

prateeko

It's more than a theory. It's the truth :)
Haha, yes! It's nice to put things together (like that four letter code on real GNA games' PCBs when I was fiddling with them).

That'll be a nice way to sort out real midnight blue, black, and orange GBAs from the third party shells (and their suboptimal buttons)

Yes, several. He posted a new batch and sells out pretty regularly. Name is phv177n based in Vietnam.

I got my GBA from him today. It has (the original?) plastic screen instead of glass like my black GBA. I can also peek the backlight underneath the bezel. I guess that's entirely normal but something in the build of the black GBA hides it very well as you can see in the pics. Overall still a very nice unit. Screen is perfect, buttons are good, and that orange shell is awesome.

They do look nice. Did you have to worry about any import duties or crap like that (assuming you live in the US)?

Rich!

Neat. I'll probably end up getting a Glacier one. Is it a simple matter to replace the lense with a glass one?

easy as hell. prise the old one off with a thin tool from the edge (nothing sharp or hard otherwise you risk damaging the shell/screen) and it'll come right off. fingernails help. Then just make sure there's no dust underneath before you put the glass one on. Done.

Bear in mind once the glass one is on, it's on forever. If you try the same method to remove it, it'll explode. Really. I know.

Mega

Banned
Because it has no flex, right? Maybe if you pried with equal force from four sides (with someone's help) it would pop right off.

Rich!

What are the benefits to a glass lense?

they look like this:

oh and they don't get scratches.

in other news, I was still getting horrible pressure spots on my two backlit GBA's whenever I pressed any buttons. Like, what the hell is that about? So I opened them up. Found the true culprit:

a piece of thick rubbery stuff on the back of the LCD screen. It has absolutely no purpose whatsoever. I peeled it off. Problem solved!

Herbs

Banned
in other news, I was still getting horrible pressure spots on my two backlit GBA's whenever I pressed any buttons. Like, what the hell is that about? So I opened them up. Found the true culprit:

a piece of thick rubbery stuff on the back of the LCD screen. It has absolutely no purpose whatsoever. I peeled it off. Problem solved!

holy shit. wish I knew that. sorry

prateeko

So are these latest AGB-101's coming with the last batches of screens made just for them (or maybe they were leftover stock - whatever) or are they from AGS-101s that have their screens taken out and lenses stripped off? I wonder if the residual black rubber/sticker on the back is indicative of the origin of the screen

Rich!

holy shit. wish I knew that. sorry

haha, it's fine! :D It wouldn't have bothered anyone else, but I'm a perfectionist...and it's helpful for others to know too incase they are having the same issue!

but really, even if one console stunk of hobo and had a piss tinted screen, I'd still be overjoyed with your service. I sold my old backlit model (a black one, just like this!) after a bout of illness and when my life (and financial status) was at a real low. Never thought I'd ever get another one, let alone two

Herbs

Banned
So are these latest AGB-101's coming with the last batches of screens made just for them (or maybe they were leftover stock - whatever) or are they from AGS-101s that have their screens taken out and lenses stripped off? I wonder if the residual black rubber/sticker on the back is indicative of the origin of the screen

Those screens were pulled from AGS-101's.

Rich!

Sorry, double post...thought some of you guys may be interested in this. Krikzz just posted results of power consumption tests on the Everdrive GBA. It's basically amost the same as a standard GBA cart.

Actual cart:

Everdrive:

Another flash cart...likely the EZ Flash IV:

so yeah. Battery life, even on modded systems, will be almost identical to standard use.

prateeko

So this confirms it'll be bigger than a standard cart right? I hope it's that way for a tilt or light sensor (or maybe for the RTC).

he showed off boktai or whatever that sun-themed game is, so I imagine it's for a light sensor, at least.

I believe RTC is confirmed at this point, even though it was denied earlier in development.

Top Bottom