• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Het_Nkik

^ Not on the GBA, lol.

Is sonic advance 2 a rare game? Can't seem to find a CIB copy on ebay.

It's probably one of those games that doesn't pop up complete very often but when it does it's not expensive.

I see a couple of boxed copies on eBay but they're not in great condition.

Grizzo

^ Not on the GBA, lol.

That's a pretty faithful port imo! I grew up watching my dad play it on a PC and when I got the chance to play it myself on GBA, I was amazed that a little system like that could run games like this.

But I know this port was me with a divided opinion. Some people hate it, others love it.

TnK

Hmm, was planning to get all the sonic advance games, but it seems like they are not worth getting?

I had a lot of fun with Advance 1, and I remember finishing the game with every character. Granted, I was on a trip, and that was the only game I had.

EDIT: Played through the advance games to check whether or not I should get them, and I had no idea what I was doing. I forgot that sonic games were all about running. Almost no platforming and you have to constantly run to the left. I don't know, but there is no sense of self control, I sometimes feel that the game plays itself.

Are the DS games any good?

That's a pretty faithful port imo! I grew up watching my dad play it on a PC and when I got the chance to play it myself on GBA, I was amazed that a little system like that could run games like this.

But I know this port was me with a divided opinion. Some people hate it, others love it.
I played the GBA game back in the day, and the resolution is downright horrible. Better be played on PC IMO.

Grizzo

Hmm, was planning to get all the sonic advance games, but it seems like they are not worth getting?

I had a lot of fun with Advance 1, and I remember finishing the game with every character. Granted, I was on a trip, and that was the only game I had.

EDIT: Played through the advance games to check whether or not I should get them, and I had no idea what I was doing. I forgot that sonic games were all about running. Almost no platforming and you have to constantly run to the left. I don't know, but there is no sense of self control, I sometimes feel that the game plays itself.

Sonic Advance 2 is good.

I didn't like Sonic Advance 3, it was too confusing, I don't know why. Maybe becauseof that "partner" mechanic.

Goddammit, I think the FFVI I've bought is a fake :mad: Not received it yet, but looking at the photo provided vs a shot of a genuine UK cart, the GBA logo along the top looks different enough to stand out.

If it is a fake, its one of the best I've seen, everything from the serial number to the cart code on the back is correct which are the two that are usually wrong, without checking for the Nintendo logo on the PCB itself. Just means its even more of a nightmare to track down a legit copy of the game now.

Het_Nkik

Goddammit, I think the FFVI I've bought is a fake :mad: Not received it yet, but looking at the photo provided vs a shot of a genuine UK cart, the GBA logo along the top looks different enough to stand out.

If it is a fake, its one of the best I've seen, everything from the serial number to the cart code on the back is correct which are the two that are usually wrong, without checking for the Nintendo logo on the PCB itself. Just means its even more of a nightmare to track down a legit copy of the game now.

Yeah, here's a FFV by the same seller: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Final-Fan...ideo_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item259039d167

The photo's not blurry like the FFVI and you can see the logo on the label is printed in really shitty quality as well. Sorry about the fake :( Definitely report them to eBay.

TnK

What makes you sure it is a fake?

cafemomo

I probably overpaid a bit, but for $10, why not
9KLCn7x.jpg

Mzo

Gallery 4 is pretty incredible... it has around 21 playable games, including Zelda.

That aside, $10 for a boxed Game and Watch 2 is a great price!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So it's been one year since I made this thread. I've been buying up a LOT of video games within the past year or so. The scope of this has been bigger than I originally intended it to, but I think I'm at least 90%-95% of where I want to be with my retro video game collection.

Game Boy is still definitely a work in progress. I've been avoiding eBay for GBA games especially since bootlegs are so common, so it's a bit harder to fill out with local shops and trying to pay reasonable prices. Most of the regular GB/GBC games are ones I had as a kid, but there's still a good number I bought recently.

Click here for the full album.

maxcriden

Great collection, Zealous! Just out of curiosity, did you pick up F-Zero GP, Sonic 1 and 2, and Warioware in a single auction? I ask because I remember seeing those four in one auction on eBay recently.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Great collection, Zealous! Just out of curiosity, did you pick up F-Zero GP, Sonic 1 and 2, and Warioware in a single auction? I ask because I remember seeing those four in one auction on eBay recently.

Nah. Those were definitely all recent purchases but I bought them in other places. I don't think I've bought a single GBA game off eBay. Really really trying to avoid possible bootlegs.

maxcriden

Nah. Those were definitely all recent purchases but I bought them in other places. I don't think I've bought a single GBA game off eBay. Really really trying to avoid possible bootlegs.

Oh, cool. I've actually had decent luck on eBay recently. Right now I'm playing the Rayman 3 + Winnie The Pooh's Rumbly Tumbly Adventure two-pack for GBA. Well, I'm only really playing Rayman on there. It was $5.50 including shipping from China. It works great!

finally got around to changing the lens on my gbc

now i just need to wait for pay day to get the overdrive and i'll be good.

Hello! I was meaning to ask regarding the GBC overdrive, I googled it but found nothing, I'm guessing it is a front light kit?

How much did you pay and where did you buy it? (also did it arrive yet? how's it looking?)

I know this was a few pages back, hehe. :)

Rich!

Hello! I was meaning to ask regarding the GBC overdrive, I googled it but found nothing, I'm guessing it is a front light kit?

How much did you pay and where did you buy it? (also did it arrive yet? how's it looking?)

I know this was a few pages back, hehe. :)

What? Bad guess.

He means the Everdrive. It's a flash cart for storing games. It's a cartridge with Micro SD storage.

It's amazing.

Ah. I know the Everdrive, but it really didn't cross my mind. I saw the new lens and just assumed he wasn't done with it

Regarding GBC frontlight, I've been thinking about it and I'll be sure to make it, but I have a dilemma.

I don't want to gut a GBA SP for parts and do this:

-> http://kyorune.com/modding/article.php?id=94

But I can't find just the part or a non-working SP on ebay for a fair price.

This is it:

-> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Frontligh...s_VideoGameAccessories_JN&hash=item2a3df48b36

But it costs the same as a old and battered (but working) GBA SP. I thought there could be a kit specific for it that didn't make me sacrifice a GBA.

Tenrius

Got two GBA SPs, didn't own a GBA before.

Why two, you may ask? My intention was actually to buy just the one: I responded to an ad on the local forum and went to the dark bowels of the Moscow Metro to meet up with the seller. After the exchange had happened and I was about to leave, he offered me a second GBA SP for almost free. I was somewhat reluctant at first, but then he said he'd throw in a bootleg copy of Van Helsing and I couldn't say no. Imagine my surprise when the second system turned out to be an AGS-101! It certainly looks much, much nicer than the regular AGS-001.

The systems nave scratches and so on, especially the AGS-101, but the screens are in good condition and I'm rather pleased with my purchase so far. It was only 1500 roubles (~$43) for both. Ah, and of course I also got the Van Helsing:

It features a hilariously broken Russian translation, which has a lot of comic value on its own. The game itself is, of course, awful (it got 2.5/10 from IGN, for example). I wonder if anyone else actually played it!

The handhelds themselves are excellent. Really pleasant to use and very much portable, too. Now to get some games.

So it's been one year since I made this thread. I've been buying up a LOT of video games within the past year or so. The scope of this has been bigger than I originally intended it to, but I think I'm at least 90%-95% of where I want to be with my retro video game collection.

Game Boy is still definitely a work in progress. I've been avoiding eBay for GBA games especially since bootlegs are so common, so it's a bit harder to fill out with local shops and trying to pay reasonable prices. Most of the regular GB/GBC games are ones I had as a kid, but there's still a good number I bought recently.

Click here for the full album.

What an absolute awesome collection.
I love the fact its all in alphabetical order as well.
All those cartridges and chunky boxes.... *drool*

pikablu

Cannon_Fodder_-_2000_-_Codemasters.jpg

Did anyone used to have this fantastic little strategy/action game? They even managed to squeeze in an FMV intro.

Yes I grew up loving the game on PC and bought this game the first week it came out for GBC. It gets so damn tough after a while and being that the gbc version only allows for 2 characters per level, makes it even more difficult. Great game though. Had tons of fun with it.

TnK

So I went and rebought the oracle games mint condition, since the gaffer I bought them from never replied. Man buying these things in like new condition is expensive =(
The games were $85 a pop...

I have a feeling at some point I'll reach a breaking point and either go cart only or rely on my flash cart (which I hope doesn't happen).

Only GameBoy games left that I want to own are:
Golden Sun 1&2
Botokai series
Mario & Luigi Super Star Saga
Metal Gear Solid GameBoy Color

Any other games I should look out for in your opinion guys?

Mzo

It's Boktai. There's a third game that is Japan only and a DS sequel.

PS - you don't technically but actually kind of really do need an original, non-backlit GBA (or SP I guess) to be able to play Boktai in the sun and still see what the hell you're doing.

redhairedking

Does anyone have any suggestions as to brick and mortar stores that have Game Boy Micros? The prices on Amazon are ridiculous and I have had bad experiences with Ebay account security in the past. I'm really itching to get a Micro and get back into GBA collecting. I still have my SP, but I've heard wonderful things about the Micro's screen.

DontBlink

So I went and rebought the oracle games mint condition, since the gaffer I bought them from never replied. Man buying these things in like new condition is expensive =(
The games were $85 a pop...

Woah, you paid wayyyyy too much, unless you really went for no-dents-at-all on the box mint. I bought both not 2 months ago for $75 total, complete and great condition.

Mzo

Which region?

There were two boxed releases in the US for both Seasons and Ages: original release shiny foil box or shitty, dull box reprint.

Hope you didn't overpay for the ugly ones!

maxcriden

Quick question. I know eBay is full of fake cartridges, but is Amazon Marketplace usually legit?

eBay is full of fakes, but I've had really good luck recently on there. I'm not buying Pokemon games or anything but I've had plenty good luck with other games. Just FWIW. You could always stick with sellers that take returns. I find eBay is much cheaper than Amazon Marketplace for a lot of games.

TnK

It's Boktai. There's a third game that is Japan only and a DS sequel.

PS - you don't technically but actually kind of really do need an original, non-backlit GBA (or SP I guess) to be able to play Boktai in the sun and still see what the hell you're doing.
I still have the OG GBA.
I don't know if you have the bionic commando games but they're worth playing. Both the Capcom GB game and western-developed GBC one are great action platformers.
will check them out.

Woah, you paid wayyyyy too much, unless you really went for no-dents-at-all on the box mint. I bought both not 2 months ago for $75 total, complete and great condition.

Which region?

There were two boxed releases in the US for both Seasons and Ages: original release shiny foil box or shitty, dull box reprint.

Hope you didn't overpay for the ugly ones!
Here is the ebay listing. You guys tell me if I made the right or wrong decision: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301210921130

Here is a pic of the games I bought earlier for reference. From this lot I got, the oracle games (second not pictured) M&L SSS, and CV HoD.
4A58kZ5.jpg

Heres my game boy collection.
Its pretty meager and I have a few missing that I got rid of when I was younger.
The biggest culprit was Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow,
I hadn't played any castlevania properly before and played this one to pieces and throughly enjoyed it.
I thought it was extremely clever with the soul system and looking for the "right" ones.

Here goes first image post..

wyHe2S2.jpg

DontBlink

IHere is the ebay listing. You guys tell me if I made the right or wrong decision: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301210921130

They do look really great but I believe they're the reprint version since the bottom box flap is a one-piece, meaning there is no traditional cartridge tray inside, it's just glued to the actual box.

Source

Either way, to me the price is still a little too high but I guess the value depends on how much you like the games.

Mzo

I've seen Ages and Seasons foil boxes with no tray. I don't think there was a foil reprint, but maybe?

It's a little confusing, honestly. Anyone here buy them day one and want to show us what the original release looks like?

Anyone here buy them day one and want to show us what the original release looks like?

I recall buying Ages around release. I think I got my copy of Seasons much later, though...especially since it doesn't have a foil...anything.

Here's both of them:

Sorry for the cellphone shots. My camera was out of battery power.

Mzo

Thanks!

From this corroborating evidence and my own experience I am Pretty Sure that the original US release was a foil box without a tray, and the reprint is a regular box with a tray. It varies in other regions.

Since trays were not pictured in an eBay auction, I feel like he is getting the Good Ones (even though technically it doesn't matter at all and this is all really anal bullshit.)

dgco86

This foil cover business sure is confusing. I believe I have the typical foil cover versions of Ages and Seasons, with the shiny gold tree behind the Zelda logo, a somewhat reflective "halo" around the picture of Link, the flat bottom flap and the glued-in tray. I think it matches up pretty closely with KDash31987's picture of Oracle of Ages, as well as the descriptions in this Nintendoage thread:
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&threadid=71068

maxcriden

Yay, 20 bucks for an unofficial piece of plastic is a bit harsh... That retrogaming thing costs a lot :D

I'll second eBay. I got some alright faceplates on there. I think I paid $10 for one and the other one the seller had didn't sell so they agreed to add it in for another $5. The Micro itself was only $15 on craigslist so I didn't mind too much, but it is pretty pricey for what you're getting for sure!

DontBlink

Thanks!

From this corroborating evidence and my own experience I am Pretty Sure that the original US release was a foil box without a tray, and the reprint is a regular box with a tray. It varies in other regions.

Since trays were not pictured in an eBay auction, I feel like he is getting the Good Ones (even though technically it doesn't matter at all and this is all really anal bullshit.)

So it seems I had it the other way around? I have both versions and I was wondering why my flat-bottom one has foil but the tray one does not.

plc268

Yay, 20 bucks for an unofficial piece of plastic is a bit harsh... That retrogaming thing costs a lot :D

$20 is nothing for something like that. These things aren't being built in an official capacity anymore. Someone had to take the time to get these made and manufactured again. And lets face, these things aren't going to sell millions, so any manufacturing costs are going to be higher for smaller runs.

And on top of that, whoever made it want's to be compensated for their time, and they sell for what they think their time's worth.

I suppose some factory in china could take the design and pump out a ton of them and sell them for an absurdly low price. Which likely would happen eventually.

TnK

Thanks!

I recall buying Ages around release. I think I got my copy of Seasons much later, though...especially since it doesn't have a foil...anything.

Here's both of them:

Sorry for the cellphone shots. My camera was out of battery power.

This foil cover business sure is confusing. I believe I have the typical foil cover versions of Ages and Seasons, with the shiny gold tree behind the Zelda logo, a somewhat reflective "halo" around the picture of Link, the flat bottom flap and the glued-in tray. I think it matches up pretty closely with KDash31987's picture of Oracle of Ages, as well as the descriptions in this Nintendoage thread:
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&threadid=71068
So all of this means I got the good ones, yeah? Sweet.
I've got first print versions of both Seasons and Ages I can take pictures of later if still needed.
Please do.

Playing Link's Awakening DX. Does anything happen if I keep Chomp Chomp with me and not return him to lady meow meow?

Oh man these names, LOL.

Top Bottom