• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

maxcriden

So all of this means I got the good ones, yeah? Sweet.

Please do.

Playing Link's Awakening DX. Does anything happen if I keep Chomp Chomp with me and not return him to lady meow meow?

Oh man these names, LOL.

I just read a refresher since I couldn't recall but I think eventually you will have to return Chompy.

Het_Nkik

Man, I didn't even know the Oracle games had foil boxes. I got mine in 2002 so it's not like I was super late to the party and I didn't get foil : (

And I thought his name was Bow Wow, not Chomp Chomp. But go walk over by him after you give him back to get a photo.

B.K.

I just won a copy of the European version of Final Fantasy IV Advance on Ebay. I've been wanting to get a copy of it for years, since it fixes most of the bugs in the North American version. I'm pretty confident that it's not a bootleg; it has the instruction manual and box with it. I've never seen a bootlegger go through the trouble of printing a fake booklet and making a fake cardboard box for a game.

B.K.

Figures. I'm still fairly confident that it's real.

iNWrtjK.jpg

I've been very close to buying one of those but could never actually pull the trigger. I'm a sucker for anything FF4 related so I just know I'll end up buying it at some point.

cafemomo

I've been very close to buying one of those but could never actually pull the trigger. I'm a sucker for anything FF4 related so I just know I'll end up buying it at some point.

same here. I'm already committed to purchasing one of those by next year.

As a FF fan, and with the GBA being my favorite handheld, I can justify the steep cost I'm about to drop on that beauty.

Artorias

Banned
That and the Mother 3 GBM are super cool

I had to make the tough choice between these two. I think I like the Mother 3 GBM more, but FF IV was my first RPG and much more important to me so I eventually chose that.

I hope to get the Mother 3 edition someday still though!

same here. I'm already committed to purchasing one of those by next year.

As a FF fan, and with the GBA being my favorite handheld, I can justify the steep cost I'm about to drop on that beauty.

I'm waiting until I have a bit more disposable income. I can justify buying the games I want but I just can't convince myself that dropping that much on hardware I already have would be wise.

Speaking of games I actually finally found a copy of Metroid Fusion. It was only $5 at Goodwill (along with a bunch of other games - I really lucked out!) and is actually the first GBA game I've purchased without a box. I've actually been looking for a box/manual to complete the game.

cafemomo

Speaking of games I actually finally found a copy of Metroid Fusion. It was only $5 at Goodwill (along with a bunch of other games - I really lucked out!) and is actually the first GBA game I've purchased without a box. I've actually been looking for a box/manual to complete the game.
$5? pretty nice
Some goodwills are getting smart with their prices.

not gba related, but there was a copy of Super Mario RPG (cart only) behind their glass case for $65

Cocaloch

Hey guys. I recently bought an SP off of a guy I know. It turns out the R button isn't working and I was wondering if Gaf has any tips for fixing it.

Mzo

The shoulder buttons always break on Nintendo portables. Nintendo doesn't support the older systems anymore, but it's not a tough fix.

Usually the switch needs to be replaced. There are repair services on eBay that do it. The new switches are usually clickier and tougher to press, though.

TnK

Returned bow wow.
At the person asking if real or fake, I have a fake FFIV if you want to see.

Is the super retro bit retro advance a good device? How is it in general?

Figures. I'm still fairly confident that it's real.

Looks identical to my legit EU copy, but since I've now found out how rediculous fakes are getting, god only knows. Think the best way to check now is taking a look at the cart itself.

Since my FFVI is pretty much guaranteed to be a fake when it arrives, I'm now broadening the search from EU only to any English version. The reason I wasn't looking at US versions is I remember hearing there were bugs that were fixed in the EU version, but now can't find anything on this. Anyone know if I've just made this up in my head?

Looks identical to my legit EU copy, but since I've now found out how rediculous fakes are getting, god only knows. Think the best way to check now is taking a look at the cart itself.

Since my FFVI is pretty much guaranteed to be a fake when it arrives, I'm now broadening the search from EU only to any English version. The reason I wasn't looking at US versions is I remember hearing there were bugs that were fixed in the EU version, but now can't find anything on this. Anyone know if I've just made this up in my head?

The EU version is desirable because it's the only release compatible with the audio restoration patch, which makes the game sound more like the SNES original (though, the mix is mono only, which sucks).

B.K.

The EU version is desirable because it's the only release compatible with the audio restoration patch, which makes the game sound more like the SNES original (though, the mix is mono only, which sucks).

The audio patch in VI isn't worth it. They ruin it by adding the vocal version of the opera theme.

All the audio is ruined without it though.

Square should have released them all on the DS with the quality of the Chrono Trigger DS port.

at least the gba ports of V & VI didn't get the PS1 treatment
True, but Chrono Trigger DS allows to turn those off.

Sadly the intro is not the SNES one, but that's a minor nitpick against the fact that the game was ported with lots of taste.

Even the palette is properly compensated, I think it's the first time I actually liked the fact that they did it:

chrono05.jpg

Because I felt the game in recent years, being played on TV's sans-scanlines was definitely too bright and colorful against what I remembered it being.

As for FF6...

P8PRC9b.png
lvegdTN.png

GBA -> patched to be like SNES

yAgeI9v.png
fw51O6P.png

GBA -> patched to be like SNES

Source: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/765/

There are no color restoration patches for FF1&2, FFIV or FFV and they sorely deserved them.
I can't tell a difference between the SNES and GBA versions of VI, except for a couple sound effects, but that's nothing major.
Well, you definitely should notice.

And the color restoration patch should be very mandatory still so it's a kind of a kill two rabbits with one stone kind of deal for FFVI.

Yeah a number of GBA ports are too bright, I assume to compensate for the original unlit GBA screen. The DKC ports stand out particularly in this way.

Yeah a number of GBA ports are too bright, I assume to compensate for the original unlit GBA screen. The DKC ports stand out particularly in this way.
Games which are too dark are sometimes near-invisible at times on the original GBA. Yggdra Union... argh, that was one of the many problems with that game. Couldn't see some things on my GBA. :(

cafemomo

despite it's "flaws" the gba port of VI is actually my favorite version of the game
mainly because of the portability factor

If i die, I wanna be buried with my gb micro and ffvi

Wanted to show my latest pick-ups. I bought a pearl green GBA SP (backlit) as my current black SP is having issues with the power switch, so going to get that fixed and also wanted to get a back up:

Also picked up Harry Potter Chamber of Secrets as there's been some good feedback on that here.

My next purchase will hopefully be a frontlit Gameboy Color.

Rich!

Debating whether to sell my Everdrive GB.

It's great and all, but...I dunno. I just aint feeling it like the others, purely because I already own everything that's decent on the GB/GBC, and I've powered through the few romhacks I wanted to play.

Krammy

Does anyone have experience with AAA Retro Gaming? I'm considering the purchase of a refurbished AGS-101, but I'm always skeptical of sellers that don't have 100% positive feedback.

Also, what's this I hear about triggers breaking on the SP's? I thought Nintendo's crummy triggers started with the DS-era (DS Lite specifically). I had an SP all through grade 7 - 9 and I never ran into issues with the triggers despite constant play, where as my DSi or 3DS didn't last nearly as long before crapping the bed from all sides.

EDIT: Damn, after some sleuthing, it really is true. Can't believe the GBA line had this issue to, I always considered them to be a paragon of handhelds.

Ah thanks, so if I'm getting a cart without the ability to patch, no problems there then. Just hope the copy I'm watching atm doesn't skyrocket in price.

Mzo

Also, what's this I hear about triggers breaking on the SP's? I thought Nintendo's crummy triggers started with the DS-era (DS Lite specifically). I had an SP all through grade 7 - 9 and I never ran into issues with the triggers despite constant play, where as my DSi or 3DS didn't last nearly as long before crapping the bed from all sides.

EDIT: Damn, after some sleuthing, it really is true. Can't believe the GBA line had this issue to, I always considered them to be a paragon of handhelds.

Yup. Every Nintendo handheld with shoulder buttons is pretty much guaranteed to fuck up at some point through regular use.

Peagles

Fortunately none of mine have ever broken. I have fixed a ton though that had previously belonged to other people though. Mostly DS Lites but even then it only affected about 1/10 and most of those could be fixed with a blast of compressed air. I had one where the shoulder button part had come away from the motherboard, but they could have dropped it on the corner for all I know.

I think I just have gentle hands.

Dishwalla

Banned
I've never had an issue with shoulder buttons on my Nintendo handhelds, for me it's always been the hinges that have been an issue.

Peagles

Oh actually yeh that's the only Nintendo thing that's ever broke on me, launch white DS Lite hinge! It didn't happen from damage either it just happened over time and was a manufacturing fault.

Luckily I wrote to Nintendo and they agreed to fix it for me outside of warranty for free, woo hoo!

Renpatsu

Small query, looking to purchase replacement cases for GB, GBC, and GBA games I own without boxes, but don't seem to know the exact search term for what I'm looking for.

All I ever seem to find are the small cases that are sized for the cart and not box (or DS case size).

Can anybody help or point me in the right direction? Specifically for Australia if possible.

-KRS-

Do you mean that you just want to buy only the (original) boxes for games, or that you want to buy reproduction boxes? Both are available on ebay, but it can be hard to find original Box Only auctions/listings for the games you want. I see reproduction NES and SNES boxes all the time on ebay though, so I assume there are some GB repros as well.

Anyway, I think "box only" is the term you want. Unless I'm misunderstanding your post.

Top Bottom