• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Found some random stuff at a garage sale, $5 total:

cJET6i5.jpg

7IUyhuI.jpg

Had never even heard of Final Fantasy Legend before but after doing some reading I'm excited to try it. Xtreme Sports sounds interesting too. Also, messing around with that game boy camera should be fun.

leroidys

You get an okay price? If I remember correctly the Book Offs I've been to have always been totally overpriced, but maybe I'm thinking of a different store.

Yep, it was Y4500, which is cheaper than I've seen even cart only copies on ebay. GS2 was only 500 and a bit of an impulse buy. Book offs are really YMMV (and are often super overpriced).

B.K.

Had never even heard of Final Fantasy Legend before but after doing some reading I'm excited to try it.

There are four games Square released with Final Fantasy titles in America. None of them are real Final Fantasies though. Legends 1-3 are the first three SaGa games and Final Fantasy Adventure is the first Mana game.

There are four games Square released with Final Fantasy titles in America. None of them are real Final Fantasies though. Legends 1-3 are the first three SaGa games and Final Fantasy Adventure is the first Mana game.

lol, imagine if Square still did this with all their RPG properties when localizing them

Yeah knew about Final Fantasy Adventure but for some reason I had never heard of Legend. Was pleasantly surprised when I looked up what it was.

Pretty damn pleased with my book off pickups today.

(Sorry, don't see an option to rotate pics on imgur mobile)

The box isn't in the best shape, but it beats the hell out of paying through the nose for an ebay copy that has an 80% chance of being a knockoff.

Still can't find kurukurukururin anywhere though.
I purchase all my JPGBA games (I own 38) from Japanese sellers on eBay and have never had a counterfeit. The reputable sellers make plenty of photos so you can see the game box and cartridge form many angles; if you play safe your should be okay.

You should be able to find Kuru Kuru Kururin for a decent price. I got my copy in a nearly new condition for something like $10 shipped.

Velcro Fly

On a quest for a legit Final Fantasy V cart. I had one and sold it stupidly last year. I just have to camp Amazon Warehouse Deals for a week or two until one pops up for $20 or so.

I think I've given up on the DKC ports. I'd rather buy a SNES and play the originals I suppose.

ffman

Unconfirmed Member
I bought a glacier GBA at a pawn shop today for $5. It works but the battery cover is missing. Anyone know where I can find a cheap matching cover?

maxcriden

On a quest for a legit Final Fantasy V cart. I had one and sold it stupidly last year. I just have to camp Amazon Warehouse Deals for a week or two until one pops up for $20 or so.

I think I've given up on the DKC ports. I'd rather buy a SNES and play the originals I suppose.

Given up, how come? I got those on eBay earlier this year with no issue....

ffman

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks. It does not work as well as I originally thought it did. The original models were not backlit but this GBA is too dark. Unless it is held at a certain angle directly under a light you can't see what is going on.

Peagles

Thanks. It does not work as well as I originally thought it did. The original models were not backlit but this GBA is too dark. Unless it is held at a certain angle directly under a light you can't see what is going on.

Mod it with a backlit screen :p

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
Talking about backlit screens, I've got myself a modded original GBA.

$_57.JPG

(Pic from the eBay insertion)

It was £60 but it's more than worth it and playing on it is just awesome. Thank you for encouraging me, guys!

Jb

Bid on an ebay boxed FF6 Advance, which I went to pick up yesterday and turned out to be a fake :( Here's a pic of the "manual":
Is there any way for me to check if the cartridge itself is at least an original? I tried it on a DS and it works just fine:

Peagles

Bid on an ebay boxed FF6 Advance, which I went to pick up yesterday and turned out to be a fake :( Here's a pic of the "manual":

Is there any way for me to check if the cartridge itself is at least an original? I tried it on a DS and it works just fine:

Not a chance, sorry :(

Get your money back.

If it makes you feel better, I found this cart to be completely playable, for a couple of years at least. The battery didn't last very long though, and it no longer saves.

Edit: Open it up to check too...

TnK

Sorry, I didn't put that one in.
It's from eBay, here's the insertion.
The guy had a black one, but I'm not sure if he's sold it.

I'm looking for a pouch/case for it and will get more screen protectors.
How is the screen quality in general for these? I have never owned a GBASP, so are there things like ghosting, etc?

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
How is the screen quality in general for these? I have never owned a GBASP, so are there things like ghosting, etc?

Surprisingly there isn't on my screen! That's what impressed me.
I wouldn't have minded if there was ghosting, but there isn't and it's all more enjoyable.
The graphics are crisp and it isn't too different from the DS Lite GBA output apart from the game showing fullscreen and the brightness is just perfect.

TnK

Surprisingly there isn't on my screen! That's what impressed me.
I wouldn't have minded if there was ghosting, but there isn't and it's all more enjoyable.
The graphics are crisp and it isn't too different from the DS Lite GBA output apart from the game showing fullscreen and the brightness is just perfect.
Yuuup, guess it is time to get one of these. The seller has a dusty older GBA he made for £35, but it doesn't show when the system is on. May jump on that.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
Yuuup, guess it is time to get one of these. The seller has a dusty older GBA he made for £35, but it doesn't show when the system is on. May jump on that.

Just saw it now. Go for it, if you don't mind the residues. I'm sure the screen isn't ruined and probably shows in the edges.

GBA SP 101 screens really aren't very good. They have a fairly slow pixel reponse time (ghosting) and change color at angle.

The best thing they have going for them is the backlight.

Scanna

hey guys! bought a Micro some days ago and I am joining the collection! Advance FTW ^^
Anyways, in Italy is pretty difficult to find garage sales, goodwill and whatnot, I'm trying via ebay to buy something at good prices. Found Panzer Dragoon Orta (I know, Xbox) plus Boktai + Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga + Kurururwhatever + Gunstar Future heroes for 28€...is that ok? I guess they are boxed and all. Only downside, they are in another town, but a friend of mine lives there and he can collect them for me I think
EDIT: they are already gone, dammit ^^

hey guys! bought a Micro some days ago and I am joining the collection! Advance FTW ^^
Anyways, in Italy is pretty difficult to find garage sales, goodwill and whatnot, I'm trying via ebay to buy something at good prices. Found Panzer Dragoon Orta (I know, Xbox) plus Boktai + Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga + Kurururwhatever + Gunstar Future heroes for 28€...is that ok? I guess they are boxed and all. Only downside, they are in another town, but a friend of mine lives there and he can collect them for me I think

Sounds like a really good price. Make sure the games aren't fakes though.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
EDIT: they are already gone, dammit ^^
Just convince yourself they were fakes and you'll feel relieved!
I'm sure you can find some games in Italy (even though checking on their eBay insertions, they get overpriced).
Ideally it would be best to check the UK eBay as you can sometimes find deals over here.
For instance, I've bought Sega Arcade Gallery boxed, complete for £8.
Now it goes for 3 times that price at times.

Putosaure

Hey GAF, just received a SP 001 modded with a 101 screen (apparently, it was sold as a 101 but has a 001 sticker on the back, plus the packaging doesn't feel like "new").

But I don't really know if this is a counterfeit unit or what.

Screen is great, no scratch, really small air bubbles here and there:
1S1SOHV.jpg

Some holes on the mono speaker are not properly carved:
Zsp0OHz.jpg

The Nintendo logo seems to be easily removable:
dR90XyI.jpg

And the logo under the screen is not like my original 001 (which is on the left):
2TZ7FL3l.jpg

The volume slider is way more sensitive too, and the buttons don't "click" as the original unit does.
Anyway this screen is a blast, I'll wait until I find a real 101 !

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Huh, I also bought something similar off eBay UK a couple of months ago. It was supposedly a refurbished unit.
It's an AGS-001 model with an AGS-101 screen. And it came in a blue knock-off box with a weird charger. It also had some small Chinese sticker on the under side. Had to send it back for repair once because the volume slider made the sound crackle and R button didn't click.
I have no idea if it's counterfeit or not though, but aside from sometimes having to "warm up" the shoulder buttons, it looks and works great.

Rich!

Hey GAF, just received a SP 001 modded with a 101 screen (apparently, it was sold as a 101 but has a 001 sticker on the back, plus the packaging doesn't feel like "new").

But I don't really know if this is a counterfeit unit or what.

Screen is great, no scratch, really small air bubbles here and there:
1S1SOHV.jpg

Some holes on the mono speaker are not properly carved:
Zsp0OHz.jpg

The Nintendo logo seems to be easily removable:
dR90XyI.jpg

And the logo under the screen is not like my original 001 (which is on the left):
2TZ7FL3l.jpg

The volume slider is way more sensitive too, and the buttons don't "click" as the original unit does.
Anyway this screen is a blast, I'll wait until I find a real 101 !

it's an aftermarket case on an AGS-101. Open it up if you want to be sure.

Yep, there are loads on eBay that are basically 001s that have been modded with the 101 screens. Your one may be one of those that has ha a complete refurbish with third party housing/buttons. There are some genuine ones of eBay, but they're more expensive and generally rare. There's a seller from Turkey currently selling genuine 101s. I bought a green one for £100 plus £20 shipping.

TnK

GBA SP 101 screens really aren't very good. They have a fairly slow pixel reponse time (ghosting) and change color at angle.

The best thing they have going for them is the backlight.

So, I should stick to my GameBoy Player then? I really want a video demonstration or try one for myself. Any videos on youtube?

Mzo

Super sad story.

Decided to play Hajime no Ippo on the GBA after finally watching the series. Took a closer look at the CIB copy I bought all those years ago and now, knowing everything I know, realized it's completely fake.

At least it's not rare or anything =[

So, I should stick to my GameBoy Player then? I really want a video demonstration or try one for myself. Any videos on youtube?
GameBoy Player is kinda annoying too due to the judder (frame drops?) every 5 seconds or so. Honestly there's no easy answer. I use an SP 101 screen modded AGB-001 myself but just be aware that it's not perfect.

anyone know how to clean battery corrosion off of a motherboard? i opened up my gbc and found out that the battery corrosion had gone underneath the shell onto the motherboard.

Het_Nkik

anyone know how to clean battery corrosion off of a motherboard? i opened up my gbc and found out that the battery corrosion had gone underneath the shell onto the motherboard.

Exact same thing had happened to mine when I found it. I think it killed my GBC because it wouldn't turn out even after I cleaned what I could. Though this was several years ago and I may have only tried rechargeable batteries and I think rechargeables don't work with the GBC...

Exact same thing had happened to mine when I found it. I think it killed my GBC because it wouldn't turn out even after I cleaned what I could. Though this was several years ago and I may have only tried rechargeable batteries and I think rechargeables don't work with the GBC...
Eneloops work just fine with my GBC.

TnK

GameBoy Player is kinda annoying too due to the judder (frame drops?) every 5 seconds or so. Honestly there's no easy answer. I use an SP 101 screen modded AGB-001 myself but just be aware that it's not perfect.
I did notice some odd hiccups with the gameboy player, and thought it may be the game's slowdown itself. Will test more later.

Can anyone else confirm how their AGS-101 screens are? Knowing nintendo, the quality of the screen is not consistent. You either end up with a screen that has ghosting, or not. What are your experiences guys?

Also, I finished Link's Awakening DX last week, and I honestly have to say that I found LttP to be the better game. Why do a lot of people on GAF prefer LADX?
I did find the game to be really fun though, but the overworld always felt so cluttered and restricting. There is almost no screen that does not have an obstacle of some sort in your path. Add to the fact that you need to pause and choose an item to clear said path.

Peagles

Can anyone else confirm how their AGS-101 screens are? Knowing nintendo, the quality of the screen is not consistent. You either end up with a screen that has ghosting, or not. What are your experiences guys?

They all (official and the new screens) have a lower refresh rate, so some ghosting does occur but it's pretty minimal. It's noticeable with a regular or frontlit screen side by side.

TnK

They all (official and the new screens) have a lower refresh rate, so some ghosting does occur but it's pretty minimal. It's noticeable with a regular or frontlit screen side by side.
Any videos that show this? I couldn't find any on youtube, and I don't think a 30 FPS video will show the ghosting (not sure).

I tend to really dislike ghosting, as I went through a second DS lite because one had quite noticeable ghosting. Good thing this was fixed with the XL.

Peagles

Any videos that show this? I couldn't find any on youtube, and I don't think a 30 FPS video will show the ghosting (not sure).

I tend to really dislike ghosting, as I went through a second DS lite because one had quite noticeable ghosting. Good thing this was fixed with the XL.

I suppose it's more that it isn't as smooth, rather than ghosting per se. I haven't seen any videos that show it well but there could be some on Youtube.

It's just as smooth, still 60Hz refresh, but there are slight but visibile trails onbfadt motion. I noticed it most in towns in Dragon Warrior 3 or fast platformers. I can try to make a video later today.

Top Bottom