• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

TnK

Try this video of my GBA backlight screen. Not a perfect look but you can kinda make out what I'm talking about. Think about how the PSP original & 2000 screens were -- smearing black. Not nearly as bad as them, but that's how it looks.

You would see it better if I could take a 60Hz video of this (or just looking in person).

Thanks. I thought it would be even more prominent. Looks good overall, unless in 60 FPS it is more obvious?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Playing some Dragon Warrior 3 (gbc) lately, and just dropped it into my Game Boy Player and got seriously surprised in a very positive way on how good the colours looked. On the GBA SP it always looked so dark, but now it got really colourful and nice-looking. Too bad it kinda defeats the purpose of a handheld to play it there.

Anyone here have any experience with rose colored gaming? I hear the glass mod they use creates a rainbow effect and it's not as clear as the GBA SP ags 101. Can anyone confirm?

Yesssssss! Did the suction cup method, screen cover popped off flawlessly (didn't realize it was just a thin bezel, thought it would be attached with prongs or something), applied a bunch of tape and BOOM. Dust is GONE, screen is now flawless and beautiful. Thanks womp! This and my Gameboy Light are officially my go-to systems of the summer.

Like one of those suction cups that sticks on your wall in the shower?

Any suggestions for flash carts for the system?

cafemomo

these inflated ass prices
BAi47Yi.jpg

Chinbo37

I did notice some odd hiccups with the gameboy player, and thought it may be the game's slowdown itself. Will test more later.

Can anyone else confirm how their AGS-101 screens are? Knowing nintendo, the quality of the screen is not consistent. You either end up with a screen that has ghosting, or not. What are your experiences guys?

Also, I finished Link's Awakening DX last week, and I honestly have to say that I found LttP to be the better game. Why do a lot of people on GAF prefer LADX?
I did find the game to be really fun though, but the overworld always felt so cluttered and restricting. There is almost no screen that does not have an obstacle of some sort in your path. Add to the fact that you need to pause and choose an item to clear said path.

I know there is a subset of people who love links awakening but I think/I hope most would agree that lttp is better (cause it is)

Like one of those suction cups that sticks on your wall in the shower?

Yes, that's exactly what I used in my case, worked like a charm! The cover is really thin and isn't hooked in tight at all. It's just attached by a really light glue type film underneath. Once you're done cleaning just lightly but firmly push it back on.

Edit: Just carefully use a lot of scotch tape to get the gunk and dust out.

Yeah craigs folks probably look up prices on ebay. If you're looking for a deal you'll have to test your luck at garage sales. I've sound pokemon games there in bundled lots of GBA/DS titles for mad cheap.

It's probably because I live in a major city, but I've never seen pkmn games on craigs for 5
The problem is there is enough of a business around used retro games that any game getting sold below market rate in a big enough city will immediately (or very quickly) be bought by assholes just looking to profit off them by selling them immediately after (either local or ebay).

I have literally never seen any good game going for cheap in a Goodwill or pawn store here -- if they have anything at all its just shovelware. I know the reason; some jerk drives around checking every store every couple days to buy up any valuable game. Same guy probably just keeps an eye on new Kijiji listinga for Pokemon being sold for <$30.

This is why I'm buying up good DS games now; so that I don't have to deal witb this in 5 years. Hell, it's already happening! A year ago I bought Pokemon SoulSilver at BestBuy for $35. My wife thought it was a stupid idea. Last week I showed her how much it's going for used now, let alone new -- I don't think she's going to let me open another game again.

TnK

I'd like to point out that only the tree behind the logo is shiny, not the entire box.
If other parts are shiny, it is from the protective case.

F-ZERO BLU FALCON is on sale at PA for $10,99 (JPN of course)

Still waiting for Climax to come back in stock :(
I've had nothing but bad experiences with Play Asia. They once sent me a second hand game that was sold as new, and on other occasions have lost my packages and done everything possible to try and avoid to give me my money back (could not resend as the game were OoS). I acknowledge the experience has been fine for others, but because of my experience with them I don't think I will order from them again.

Grizzo

I've had nothing but bad experiences with Play Asia. They once sent me a second hand game that was sold as new, and on other occasions have lost my packages and done everything possible to try and avoid to give me my money back (could not resend as the game were OoS). I acknowledge the experience has been fine for others, but because of my experience with them I don't think I will order from them again.

damn, I was just about to buy it and you convinced me otherwise.

But thanks for your feedback!

TnK

Hmm, I realized that in the pic I posted, it is very obvious that it is in the protective case on PC. Was not that obvious when I posted it via my phone. Now I feel stupid for saying what I said above, lol.

Also, I thought most of you guys had the shiny one. Guess I really did make a good purchase, hooray! Feels good mang.

Anyone here have any experience with rose colored gaming? I hear the glass mod they use creates a rainbow effect and it's not as clear as the GBA SP ags 101. Can anyone confirm?
There have been a few complaints on this board (perhaps this thread) about poor product quality and even poorer communication. I was going to get one, but after reading them (and since I have to import to the UK) I'm not taking the risk.

daydream

Banned
Such a great game, and so ideal for portable play. I'll give it a year or two but I'll have to go back through it again 100%. 100% Rhythm Heaven DS too.

Never did finish the Wii game...

Heh, same for me. I think most would agree that Minna no RT/RH Fever is probably the weakest entry.

I've claimed a Rhythm Tengoku community thread already, hoping to post it over the course of the summer. Looking forward to the discussions there!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I had a great yard sale find today:

I never, ever find CIB Game Boy games through informal channels anymore, and yet two fell into my lap today. The boxes are so crisp and shiny it's almost like they're brand new. So excited!

On the other hand if $10 + shipping is pocket money for you I guess you could still give it a try. That being said, I prefer to put in a little bit more money and know what I am getting into rather than delve into the unknown.

I had a great yard sale find today:

I never, ever find CIB Game Boy games through informal channels anymore, and yet two fell into my lap today. The boxes are so crisp and shiny it's almost like they're brand new. So excited!

Wow, yeah that kind of condition is pretty unheard of for a garage sale, how much did you pay?

DontBlink

After finally getting my replacement modded GBA from eBay, I decided to finally post my collection here.

First of is the system, which turned out a lot better than the first one, clean screen and body, some dust under the bezel but got that removed with the previously mentioned suction cup method. Only crappy part is that somehow while swiping my finger across the screen, the side of my nail left a screen-wide scratch -_-, not really visible as it's right on the edge of the screen but still very annoying.

Here are the displayed games, and any leftovers that do not fit currently.

Extra lose carts or stuff I'm missing boxes for, extra boxes with no carts, some video and JP games.

And finally the other systems.

Grizzo

On the other hand if $10 + shipping is pocket money for you I guess you could still give it a try. That being said, I prefer to put in a little bit more money and know what I am getting into rather than delve into the unknown.

I want my order to be trackable, and it comes to at least 18 euros for shipping costs (+ the cost of the item) if I want to do so, so I'm gonna pass for now, I don't really need that game anyway (but I plan on playing it someday!)

After finally getting my replacement modded GBA from eBay, I decided to finally post my collection here.

First of is the system, which turned out a lot better than the first one, clean screen and body, some dust under the bezel but got that removed with the previously mentioned suction cup method.

Glad to hear you were able to get a good replacement. Unfortunately at this point though Wii123 definitely needs to be actively posted here as an unreliable dealer for GBA 001 backlight mods. Both he and the people he gets the systems modded from have no quality control and he's only replacing these when people actually complain. If he can't control his source, he should at least be sending them back and cleaning them HIMSELF before actually putting them up for sale. I'm just glad I was able to get a defect free replacement that was easy to clean and looks amazing now. But nobody should have to expect to go through all that just to enjoy a good backlight 001 mod, especially when they're paying the extra money to have the mod done.

Only crappy part is that somehow while swiping my finger across the screen, the side of my nail left a screen-wide scratch -_-, not really visible as it's right on the edge of the screen but still very annoying.

You used your finger?! X_X On the backlit screen itself underneath or you just scratched part of the screen cover? You didn't use tape to remove the dust?

Extra lose carts or stuff I'm missing boxes for, extra boxes with no carts, some video and JP games.

Nice collection! I notice you have your GBA boxes in plastic bags, I just keep mine lined up. At some point should I try to put them in bags? I think I remember reading here that having the boxes in contact too long can cause the cardboard to eventually degrade somehow?

First of is the system, which turned out a lot better than the first one, clean screen and body, some dust under the bezel but got that removed with the previously mentioned suction cup method. Only crappy part is that somehow while swiping my finger across the screen, the side of my nail left a screen-wide scratch -_-, not really visible as it's right on the edge of the screen but still very annoying.

you willing to sell any of those extra boxes?

TnK

OK, this game right up here amazed me just now. It is an old bootleg game from 2004 (like all my old GBA games), and it still saves to this very day. 10 years old and it saves and all. That's some high quality bootleg right there lol.

Also, I prefer the GBA game over the PS2 one. I feel that the emptiness of the game suites a handheld more than the PS2.

How hard is it for me to mod an OG GBA with an AGS-101 screen?

EDIT: Just saw the pics and there are kolona games on the GBA, they good?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

You'll always find bad experiences out there for EVERY e-commerce on the planet.
There's people out there who will complain about freakin' Amazon. Yes, Amazon.
Would you stop using Amazon if I tell you I've had a couple bad experiences with them?

NeoGAF's PLAY-ASIA Coupons up for grabs Thread

I dunno man, it's your call :)

I've been using them for 7+ years, never had anything but brand new, perfect games.
I think this is the first time I hear anything similar especially here on GAF, what usually pisses me off about PA is that the package takes ages to get to me and that I can't order anything above 22EUR of value 'cause they don't do mark downs so there's high chance I could get caught in paying customs+bullshit handling fee, but Yes Asia is no different and their packages get a whole month to reach my address.
Only Solaris Japan gets me imports in less than two weeks and I find Jacob (the owner) to be a super kind cool dude, bought a bunch of preowned STGs from them and they were always pristine.

On the other hand, I have bought around 30 times from them. Never an issue.

Anyone have a link to a backlit OG GBA? I know about Rose Colored Gaming but they're sold out always.
There are lots on eBay. I've yet to buy one but my advice would be to contact the seller and ask lots of questions before purchasing. Check for a return policy, too. Use Paypal so you can get your money back if you get a shit one.

I've been using them for 7+ years, never had anything but brand new, perfect games.
I think this is the first time I hear anything similar especially here on GAF, what usually pisses me off about PA is that the package takes ages to get to me and that I can't order anything above 22EUR of value 'cause they don't do mark downs so there's high chance I could get caught in paying customs+bullshit handling fee, but Yes Asia is no different and their packages get a whole month to reach my address.
Only Solaris Japan gets me imports in less than two weeks and I find Jacob (the owner) to be a super kind cool dude, bought a bunch of preowned STGs from them and they were always pristine.
The customer service has offered me to do mark downs on more than one occasion. However, they will only put half the price of the order.

On the other hand, I have bought around 30 times from them. Never an issue.
As I said; I acknowledge that for other people buying from PA has been fine. I am merely relating my experience.

DontBlink

Glad to hear you were able to get a good replacement. Unfortunately at this point though Wii123 definitely needs to be actively posted here as an unreliable dealer for GBA 001 backlight mods. Both he and the people he gets the systems modded from have no quality control and he's only replacing these when people actually complain. If he can't control his source, he should at least be sending them back and cleaning them HIMSELF before actually putting them up for sale. I'm just glad I was able to get a defect free replacement that was easy to clean and looks amazing now. But nobody should have to expect to go through all that just to enjoy a good backlight 001 mod, especially when they're paying the extra money to have the mod done.

I agree, so to whoever asked about a link to the modded GBA, I would suggest against buying from Wii123.

You used your finger?! X_X On the backlit screen itself underneath or you just scratched part of the screen cover? You didn't use tape to remove the dust?

No no, just the plastic "shield" that's above the screen. Did not touch the screen iteslf.

Nice collection! I notice you have your GBA boxes in plastic bags, I just keep mine lined up. At some point should I try to put them in bags? I think I remember reading here that having the boxes in contact too long can cause the cardboard to eventually degrade somehow?

Do you mean the plastic box protectors or the occasional plastic wrap? If it's the latter then they're just the original shrink wrap that I left for some additional protection.

you willing to sell any of those extra boxes?

Only Mega Man box would be available, the rest I'm still looking for cartridges.

Top Bottom