• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GCW Zero - new retrogaming open source handheld!

WonderPup

Any news on how well it works? Like can it emulate games at full speed? I really just want to play Phantasy Star 4 on a handheld.
It should handle that game no problem. Mine runs NES, GBA, and SNES games with no problem. And a lot of the games they've ported over are a lot of fun, too.

EDIT: It does have some issues with Mode 7 graphics on the SNES.

Tobor

You at least got a tracking number? I got an email to confirm my address and then nothing since...

Justin PM'ed me the tracking number on Kickstarter back on 9/30. That number pulled up as not found on the USPS site until 10/5 when I got a confirmation email from stamps.com with the same tracking number. Since then, it's shown up as pre-shipment on the USPS site.

No idea how in the world this is taking so long.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
At least he got a tracking number, LOL.

15 days later...still nothing. No notification that anything has been shipped.

desu

Still says pre-shipment on the USPS page after 11 days.

I just don't understand this.

Did you try to get in contact with him? I mean that's just way too long.

Are there any statistics about how many units get send on a day? I mean it shouldn't be too hard to do 10/20 units a day (if you cared about doing it).

Hey bros. So I got two units. They didnt come at the same time either, I got a kickstarter email about a week before I got a notification from USPS... then A day after it came, I got another one on some GCW site.

If you got a notice, Im sure its on its way.

BTW I love this fucking baby. Beat X1, working on X2 now. I just want a good PSX emulator so I can play X4-X6

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
So after a few days, my initial impressions are:
* Better performance than I expected. Works great with the NGPC, NES, GB, SNES emus I tried.
* Fast boot, easy to get stuff on it.
* Sometimes pressing the shoulder buttons won't register a click. I kinda need to click on the inside, rather than the outside edge. It's not much of a problem so far since I do tend to click on the inside naturally.
* My A button will sometimes physically get stuck while pressed down. Nudging it a little will make it pop back up. Not good, but I figure I can fix it. Although I'm gonna check first if someone else has opened the thing before I try it myself.

desu

Justing posted a new updates:

Everyone I wanted to take a moment and apologize for the last week of not responding to comments or answering every e-mail that was sent.

I was with my father for those days dealing with his health issues and where he lives has spotty reception for cell phones

So I answered private messages and emails when and If I could, I'm now back home and will try to answer everyone's questions as soon as possible.

I will also try to wrap up sending of consoles as soon as possible as I know everyone wants what they pledged for and helped make this project come to life.

As for backer #'s I don't know if it has a correlation or not to when you made your pledge the spread sheet is generated and we just went it the order the spread sheet gave us. I ewill verify this and report back if that is the case or not.

Justing posted a new updates:

His updates just read like the excuse du jour to me now...

Months after the original anticipated ship date, months after he's taken my money, I not only have NOTHING to show for it, I have no idea when I might actually get something to show for it... All I've got are sixty-some emails making vague promises about him trying his best.

I think it's a fair assumption at this point that Justin's "best" isn't up to the task, has never been up to the task, and is not likely to rise to the task in the near future...

sörine

Banned
Chiming in, I really love my zero. No sticky buttons yet and I've squeezed in a full replay of the Soul Blazer trilogy as well as some Parodius Da, Astro Boy OF and Ranger-X on the side. It's my first open source handheld and loading everything via SD is super easy. I even managed to figure out bios-ing FDS and Mega CD without too much trouble. My next challenge will be NeoGeo and FBA stuff.

My only real complaint is that there's some light bleed from the red/green leds on my white unit through the plastic but it's a minor annoyance and only really in distracting in the dark. The dpad also is a bit more stiff than the Nintendo pads I'm used too but I don't see it being much issue except maybe in fighters.

I hope the Temper and Open MSX opks release soon too as there's a bunch of PCE and MSX stuff I want to play.

Still says pre-shipment on the USPS page after 11 days.

I just don't understand this.
USPS is terrible at updating. My zero actually arrived before I got any status update on their site and even then it was an arrival at a Kansas City distro. It took a little over 2 weeks too from getting my tracking number to my zero being in my hands so hopefully you'll have yours soon.

Fularu

Banned
Still? Geez. I'd like to know his definition of "soon". Looks like my PS4 will get here first.

Eh, I still haven't gotten either a confirmation or shipment notice. He also doesn't answer to very basic and simple questions on the kickstarter page, like "How many (fucking) units did you ship so far? And how many are going out weekly?"

desu

Haha, my questions.

Really, I don't mind delays, but hell at least have proper communication.

A list with my position and weekly updates on how many units have been shipped would already help a lot. But I guess that would reveal just how few units he is shipping?

That would possibly also spare him a fuckton of emails of people that want to know whats up with their GCW.

Guess I am just expecting waaaay too much?

Tobor

Justin emailed me yesterday morning to ask if I'd received my Zero and if it was working properly.

I advised him I never received it and USPS is still showing pre-shipment.

He got back to me Sunday evening that he was sending me another unit. If the first unit ever arrives, he asked me to send it back, or if I want, I can buy it for the KS price. Fair enough, i'm an honest person. I'm thinking it isn't going to arrive, so moot point.

Anyone who has not received a unit or a tracking #, make sure you contact him via KS pm.

Lyte Edge

He was pretty quick to respond:

we are shipping those now as I sent out not all got a tracking number
as Stamps.com did not email them for some reason. But they will be shipped
out all in this couple of days as we have been printing labels and packing
and dropping them off daily...

Lyte Edge

Am I missing something here?

Justin Barwick
Oct 21, 2013
Report Spam
Ships tomorrow or Wednesday check e-mail should have tracking from stamps.com

Oct 24, 2013
Hi,

I did not receive a tracking number.

Thanks.

Justin Barwick
Oct 24, 2013
Report Spam
They were not auto sent as I said on comments and email.

Oct 24, 2013
Hi Justin,

I'm sorry if I'm not following you here. This was the last message you sent to me:

"Justin Barwick says:
Ships tomorrow or Wednesday check e-mail should have tracking from stamps.com."

Thanks.

Lyte Edge

Justin Barwick
Oct 24, 2013
Report Spam
If you did not get email with tracking in you main or spam folder then
stamps.com did not auto send a tracking number

And I feel really stupid asking if the unit was actually SHIPPED, but don't know how to respond otherwise.

And I feel really stupid asking if the unit was actually SHIPPED, but don't know how to respond otherwise.

You should respond with simply:

"You know, you could have saved us both time if you simply had replied with yours shipped on this date and here's the tracking number"

He really has a problem of just cutting to the damn chase and giving out details. Just like he simply can't post every week how many units have shipped leaving everyone to email the hell out of him asking what's up.

desu

He really has a problem of just cutting to the damn chance and giving out details. Just like he simply can't post every week how many units have shipped leaving everyone to email the hell out of him asking what's up.

Like I already said, I have no problem with waiting, but hell I am getting irritated with Justin.

One of his last comments on Kickstarter:
I'm not ignoring those that have requested updates via PM or comments and have responded to them in a PM. Please quit trying to instigate dismay and otherwise stir the pot.

So what, it seems it's best to bother the fuck out of him via email/pm to get any info at all. I am not sure just how many people try to get info every day, but a simple list with the backers and how he is progressing (even 1-2 updates a week) would be enough to probably answer 50-75% of the mails he is getting. Which would be time he could put into shipping more units.

I've really considered to just post the same message (How many units have shipped, give us a list, and weekly progress) every day to him via comment/pm until he finally reacts ... but man I don't want to be a complete asshole.

GCW can be the most amazing thing ever, but I wouldn't really want to be involved in anything he ever does again.

Lyte Edge

You should respond with simply:

"You know, you could have saved us both time if you simply had replied with yours shipped on this date and here's the tracking number"

LOL. That's how I would have done things if I were doing this. Right now I have no way to tell if the unit was even shipped out to me. He has not replied to my last message (yet?).

He really has a problem of just cutting to the damn chance and giving out details. Just like he simply can't post every week how many units have shipped leaving everyone to email the hell out of him asking what's up.

Yep. I notice people calling him out on that in the KS Comments, too.

Top Bottom