• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC: Level-5 sales data for all their games and presentation stills

RpgN

Zoe said:
I wonder if the PSP store downloads are included in that number?

Well those are shipped numbers to retailers, personally I don't think they would count shipped digital numbers as well :lol Since those would be 100% sold to the consumers, but I could be wrong :p

chandoog said:
Dark Cloud 2 sold LESS than Dark Cloud 1 ?
That was because DC2 became a GH in the U.S. I know many who bought it over the 2nd strictly because it was cheaper, despite how much better the 2nd one was.

Zoe

RpgN said:
Well those are shipped numbers to retailers, personally I don't think they would count shipped digital numbers as well :lol Since those would be 100% sold to the consumers, but I could be wrong :p

If it doesn't, then that would mean sales aren't remarkable enough to release them to the public :lol

Linkified

CTLance said:
Yah, we're kind of bonkers in that regard. :D

I know we're bonkers here. Heck I don't even find football games apart from the LMA Manager games fun - but an rpg. Hell yes I'll buy 10.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
@stuburns

I was talkin about 3rd Party game-Sales in general - just because some big first titles sold on well on wii, doesn`t mean games like Ni No Kuni on wii will outsell their ds counterparts.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Interesting stuff. I think the biggest shock to come from this reveal is the fact that
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
and t
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
wit
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
performan
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
. Don't you all agree?

Eteric Rice

I think in another generation or so, the transition to handhelds is going to be finished. People say that Japan's market is dead, but I don't really believe that. I think that for the average Japanese person, a handheld is the best option. Especially good considering their economic issues, work trend, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next Final Fantasy (or the one after, maybe) was exclusive to handhelds.

As for Inuzama Wii (or PS2, not confirmed yet), it's to bad we won't see it in the USA. The Wii could really use some good RPGs.

StuBurns

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
@stuburns

I was talkin about 3rd Party game-Sales in general - just because some big first titles sold on well on wii, doesn`t mean games like Ni No Kuni on wii will outsell their ds counterparts.
It doesn't mean they won't either.

We'll have to see, you're probably right. It just strikes me as a game that should sell better on a console. It's a magic wand you're using, it comes with a big ass spell book, it's not going to be an easy game to play on the move. But in Japan I believe they tend to play a lot of portable game systems at home as well, so who knows. It does stand out as a perfect Wii game and a crappy portable game though.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
BoilersFan23 said:
That was because DC2 became a GH in the U.S. I know many who bought it over the 2nd strictly because it was cheaper, despite how much better the 2nd one was.

You guys are crazy. Dark Cloud was waaaaaay better than Dark Cloud 2, which is perhaps the most overrated JRPG last gen.

Neo-Sheperd said:
Exactly. I hope whatever 'extra' content they are adding is worth it.

Well, by the looks of it the game needs some major work in the fun department. The 'official thread' seems pretty down on the game. I still hold out hope though.

Zoe

gregor7777 said:
Well, by the looks of it the game needs some major work in the fun department. The 'official thread' seems pretty down on the game. I still hold out hope though.

I thought single player was fun enough. It's the story that needed work.

Fio said:
Layton - 1,590,000. Amazing number I'd say.
Oh totally, for a game with that sort of art style and distinct flair to sell that well is great.

That said though, Jeanne D'Arc's numbers are really sad. I heard great things about that game.

stuburns said:
Of course yeah, I don't think it'll do DQ9 numbers because of the book, I'm guessing it'll be carrying a serious price tag and it's not really going to be that portable, but it'll do insanely well. The Wii version might even do better though.

Wii vesion of what? Inazuma Eleven?

Deku

Banned
Layton is their best selling international title. And GAF was hand wringing about whether NOA would port the sequel or not.

Dot50Cal said:
Interesting stuff. I think the biggest shock to come from this reveal is the fact that
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
and t
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
wit
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
performan
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
. Don't you all agree?

Damn, your post is filled with bugs and glitches!

I need my Anti-Butterfly scanner STAT!

Spiegel

Wii Will Rock U said:
That said though, Jeanne D'Arc's numbers are really sad. I heard great things about that game.

I hate how it says "worldwide" when we (europeans) didn't receive the game.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
stuburns said:
I think DQ9 will sell better than any of them.

Not sure. PS2' install base was pretty good when DQVIII came out. It will do really good, but mostly in Japan I think.

StuBurns

Banned
jjasper said:
So how are WKC sales compared to other RPGs on the 360 and PS3?
About the same, but considering the PS3 install base is larger, that's still not very good.

It's more of an Action RPG than a traditional JRPG though, it outsold IU by a decent amount.

StuBurns

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
There's a Wii version?
Not officially yet.

They just said it's also coming to a home console. People are assuming it's Wii.

SolidSnakex said:
The best selling 360 RPG in Japan is Blue Dragon which sold 203k.
I stand corrected. I thought Tales was the best selling next-gen JRPG over there.

What's the best a strategy rpg has sold? I imagine that the title of best selling srpg belongs to either Disgaea or Final Fantasy Tactics. I'm just curious to see what the actual numbers of the best selling games are within the genre because it strikes me as kind of odd when people are always disappointed when a game in a niche genre sells what appears to be a decent amount.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
WKC did pretty solid for Japan only, They can hit 1.5-2mil worldwide easy - especially if they can get a more polished online experience. It sounds like they took a LOT of the criticism to heart and are working hard to patch the Japanese version, so I am assuming we can expect a lot of improvements to the NA/EU version. I figure if they can garner a 7.5-8.0+ Metacritic score, it would translate to a successful enough romp to encourage more JRPG's on the PS3.

Mind you everything I just said is wishful thinking, but yeah...

Kinitari said:
WKC did pretty solid for Japan only, They can hit 1.5-2mil worldwide easy - especially if they can get a more polished online experience.

Have they added voice chat for the online mode yet? That's probably the biggest addition they need to make for the Western release.

stuburns said:
Not officially yet.

They just said it's also coming to a home console. People are assuming it's Wii.

I stand corrected. I thought Tales was the best selling next-gen JRPG over there.

You sure it's The Another World? They said that about Inazuna Eleven which is called Inazuna Eleven Break, we even saw one screenshot of it.

Hero of Legend said:
You sure it's The Another World? They said that about Inazuna Eleven which is called Inazuna Eleven Break, we even saw one screenshot of it.
Yeah, they said there would be a home console version of The Another World and because of the nature of the game people assume it'll be on Wii.

Aru

RpgN said:
That it did, I was lucky our local gameshop was/is offering it for 20 euros. I'd say get it, it's really a nice game you can try. Lovely story, good presentation and a little different rules for a strategy game. Many Gaffers said it's an easy game, but I'm not sure about that now. But then again I hardly train at the optional stages (I'm at stage 12 btw).

The last boss of this game is a joke.
I remember being beaten the first time, came back a few levels later and killed the boss in 4 turns. Yes, 4 turns ! And no, I wasn't overpowered. I only trained a few characters that were underpowered to put them on the same level than my most powerful character.

When I lost the first time, some people told me to use a certain skill,
I can't remember the exact name, I think it was Sweeper or something like that. I wondered why and when I tried the skill on the boss I understood something that I didn't know through all the game: you can attack a multiple case enemy once per case. So with Cyclone 2, it's an easy win ! I wish I had known that earlier :/

Johann

jaundicejuice said:
What's the best a strategy rpg has sold? I imagine that the title of best selling srpg belongs to either Disgaea or Final Fantasy Tactics. I'm just curious to see what the actual numbers of the best selling games are within the genre because it strikes me as kind of odd when people are always disappointed when a game in a niche genre sells what appears to be a decent amount.

In recent memory, the best selling console SRPG seems to be Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. Final Fantasy Tactics for the PS1 is probably the best selling since it rode off FF7's success.

Kinitari said:
WKC did pretty solid for Japan only, They can hit 1.5-2mil worldwide easy - especially if they can get a more polished online experience. It sounds like they took a LOT of the criticism to heart and are working hard to patch the Japanese version, so I am assuming we can expect a lot of improvements to the NA/EU version. I figure if they can garner a 7.5-8.0+ Metacritic score, it would translate to a successful enough romp to encourage more JRPG's on the PS3.

Mind you everything I just said is wishful thinking, but yeah...

They've begun to patch in a lot of stuff that is standard for your typical online RPG, such as auto-run.

I heard the biggest problem with the game is that you've "got multiplayer in my singleplayer." The pacing of the combat and leveling system in single-player feel much more suited for a dedicated online RPG than for a 30 hour singleplayer section (which comes off as incomplete). The online is more competent but is inferior to games that make multiplayer a priority.

I've a feeling it's going to join TLR and SO4 niche club. If they make some significant changes for NA/PAL, especially for online, with some decent marketing (and no big releases in the month) it might do just as well as Lost Odyssey.

matmanx1

Interesting read. Thanks for the numbers and screen caps. Level 5 certainly isnt my favorite developer but they've done enough quality work for me to put them above most other devs in terms of games that interest me enough to keep an eye on. And I'm very much looking forward to WKC whenever it finally makes it over to the US so it's good to see the sale through numbers for Japan.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Inazuma 11 is a fucking AWESOME game. It deserves all the sales.

About 800k each in the US/EU for Layton 1, which means it's going to be even more popular there then Japan. If the sales for the other two games trends the same as the first one, the series as a whole will eclipse sales of their best selling game DQ8. Hell Layton 1 still hasn't done selling in these two regions, who knows how much it'll sell. A bit unfair to be comparing a series verse one game, but we are talking about Dragon Quest here. :lol

Top Bottom