• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC: Level-5 sales data for all their games and presentation stills

kswiston

BishopLamont said:
About 800k each in the US/EU for Layton 1, which means it's going to be even more popular there then Japan. If the sales for the other two games trends the same as the first one, the series as a whole will eclipse sales of their best selling game DQ8. Hell Layton 1 still hasn't done selling in these two regions, who knows how much it'll sell. A bit unfair to be comparing a series verse one game, but we are talking about Dragon Quest here. :lol

Based off that NPD leak a week or two back, I was under the impression that the Layton numbers were more like:

~500k shipped to North America
>1M shipped to Europe

Layton was under 400k as of the end of January's NPD in the US.

BishopLamont said:
About 800k each in the US/EU for Layton 1,
I think with that you're actually giving too much credit to the US. NoE did an impressive job at marketing Layton 1, whereas NoA only just now seems to push Layton the way it should have done from the beginning. My guess for the actual breakdown would be 1.000.000 Europe and 600k US.
Not that it matters. At all.

jesusraz

Layton's doing great across Europe as NoE made it top priority for Christmas, targeting the Brain Training audience and winning them over so well that there have been regular shortages over the past few months. The game's still riding high in several European countries right now, which is great to see!

It's also pleasing to see that the renewed advertising campaign in the US is creating a Layton comeback, with Gamasutra pointing out how on the Amazon charts Curious Village actually out-sold Pokémon Platinum for a week.

Am I right in thinking that last time we saw Curious Village on the Media Create or Famitsu sales chart it was nearing the 900,000 mark?

Haunted

They really need to bring Inazuma Eleven to Europe. It'll be huge. Huge, I tell you.

Dot50Cal said:
Interesting stuff. I think the biggest shock to come from this reveal is the fact that
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
and t
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
wit
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
performan
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
FddaDRtNU.gif
. Don't you all agree?
:lol

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I really like this company. A real shame about Jeanne D'Arc, but other than that congrats! They really deserve it.

If they make a DC3, I hope Sony finances it.

nli10

Haunted said:
They really need to bring Inazuma Eleven to Europe. It'll be huge. Huge, I tell you.

Yup - "By the makers of Layton" so the parents know it's quality and being pretty much the only interesting Football game on the system would generate a LOT of holiday sales.

Half a million in Europe is a lock with good advertising, more if the WOM on the title is good in the teen group.

arne

chandoog said:
Dark Cloud 2 sold LESS than Dark Cloud 1 ?

0_o

Sequels, as a rule, tend to sell worse than the initial game in a franchise. There are (highly visible) exceptions to this rule, but they are, unfortunately, exceptions given all games and all franchises/sequels in aggregate.

jrricky

Banned
They were smart to let Nintendo publish this here. Nintendo's remarketing of games is ace. Its been having resurging sales recently. I see a lot of people playing it. We were actually sold out too.

zeelman

Those are impressive numbers. I knew Dragon Quest 7 was a big seller, but I didn't know their other games sold so well, especially the first Dark Cloud.

Busaiku

That Layton number is absolutely incredible.
Including Japan, Level 5 must've shipped over 2.6 million copies of the 1st game alone.

So great that the 2nd game's hitting the West.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
jaundicejuice said:
What's the best a strategy rpg has sold? I imagine that the title of best selling srpg belongs to either Disgaea or Final Fantasy Tactics. I'm just curious to see what the actual numbers of the best selling games are within the genre because it strikes me as kind of odd when people are always disappointed when a game in a niche genre sells what appears to be a decent amount.
I'm not sure what FFT sold overall but otherwise I'm pretty sure its one of the Fire Emblems.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
grandjedi6 said:
I'm not sure what FFT sold overall but otherwise I'm pretty sure its one of the Fire Emblems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Tactics#Reception

Wikipedia said:
Final Fantasy Tactics sold 824,671 copies in Japan in the first half of 1997.[71] Since then, the game has been sold at 1,350,000 copies in Japan.[72] In the United States it reached an estimated sale of 750,000 units as of year 2004.[73] As of March 31, 2003, the game had shipped 2.27 million copies worldwide, with 1.36 million of those copies being shipped in Japan and 910,000 abroad.[74]

[...]

71. ^ Famitsu staff. "Weekly Famitsu 9/12" (in Japanese). Weekly Famitsu. http://edstorm.tripod.com/sales.html. Retrieved on 2007-12-16.
72. ^ "Japan Platinum Game Chart". Magic Box. Archived from the original on 2007-12-13. http://web.archive.org/web/20071213230402/http://www.the-magicbox.com/topten2.htm. Retrieved on 2007-12-07.
73. ^ "US Platinum Videogame Chart". http://www.the-magicbox.com/Chart-USPlatinum.shtml. Retrieved on 2007-12-07.
74. ^ "February 2, 2004 - February 4, 2004". Square Enix. 2004-02-09. 27. http://www.square-enix.com/jp/ir/e/explanatory/download/0404-200402090000-01.pdf#page=27. Retrieved on 2008-03-01.

Unless the Magic Box is a banned site here, it seems reputable.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I remember seeing in other threads that WKC was the reason that SE should be multiplatform on everything (which I agree with!) but those numbers aren't that impressive, are they?

RC

Banned
Dark Cloud 2 didn't sell as well as I thought. I'd kill for a sequel though, easily one of my favourite games from the previous generation.

diss

Banned
i dunno the link but a long time ago someone here posted a link to pictures of inside the level 5 building and it looked fucking amazing. doesn't surprise me that they've made scads of money

Sallokin

I'm really anxious to see more of The Another World, I have a feeling that game is going to be HUGE.

Also, can't have an L5 thread without mention of True Fantasy Live Online, THE reason I bought an Xbox lol. I'm still bummed that game didn't come out.

slaughterking said:
I think with that you're actually giving too much credit to the US. NoE did an impressive job at marketing Layton 1, whereas NoA only just now seems to push Layton the way it should have done from the beginning. My guess for the actual breakdown would be 1.000.000 Europe and 600k US.
Not that it matters. At all.

I didn't see very many (if any) TV ads when the game launched but they did an incredible viral campaign here in Washington DC where they planted characters from the game with clues on sidewalks around the city. I thought it was one of the more inventive game campaigns I've seen.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Saint Gregory said:
I didn't see very many (if any) TV ads when the game launched but they did an incredible viral campaign here in Washington DC where they planted characters from the game with clues on sidewalks around the city. I thought it was one of the more inventive game campaigns I've seen.

Do you have photos? I'd love to have seen that!

Musashi Wins! said:
I remember seeing in other threads that WKC was the reason that SE should be multiplatform on everything (which I agree with!) but those numbers aren't that impressive, are they?

It depends on what you were expecting from it. It sold along the same lines as L5's other RPG's in Japan.

Pachael

Musashi Wins! said:

No, it was SO4 apparently. Or was it Last Remnant? ToV?

Mashing

Those DC2 numbers make me a sad panda. That's their best fucking game (not counting DQ8 because they weren't the only developers on that one). Fuck you America!

DQ8 is the only game they have been involved with that I have played...it was a fun, charming and very conservative game...is this really the best game they were involved with? I enjoyed it for sure, but it brought nothing new to the table apart from a fantastic overworld...I guess thats the archetype of the series

Acosta

nelsonroyale said:
DQ8 is the only game they have been involved with that I have played...it was a fun, charming and very conservative game...is this really the best game they were involved with? I enjoyed it for sure, but it brought nothing new to the table apart from a fantastic overworld...I guess thats the archetype of the series

DQ8 it´s an Armor Project game. Level 5 made the engine and the ground work, but the direction, story, design and so it´s from Horii and friends.

Top Bottom