• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gearbox Artist trashes Dragon’s Crown art style

tkscz

images

images

Go away.
In the latter image, the tits are very much still large, exposed, and on show. Oh wait, it's not sexualised because she's fat?

And then people like me show up to say, yes, she is sexuallized. Making the artist comment moot.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Gearbox who ensured this masterpiece simply had to see the light of day:
YxFBfxd.jpg

Yes. Sorceress is the biggest obstacle to girls getting into videogames and the development of them today. Its funny how its always totally clueless men that are always saying this, and will tell women that love the artstyle to shush and that they're a minority.

-MB-

I for one am glad conversations about things such as ludo narrative dissonance and waifu boob design philosophy, are coming to the media forefront, before the new gen starts.

Only because in dudebro shooters, women aren't allowed to fight, they're in the kitchen making their dinner instead.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Yeah... be like Gearbox and just steal someone else's style.

Dragon

Banned
Well Gearbox would recognize trash if they saw it, considering Borderlands 2 and Aliens Colonial Marines.

a later post from her in that OP link:

But it's not even the boobs and ass itself that creeps me out with this kind of stuff, it's those awkward painful-looking sexy poses combined with identical faces that are completely devoid of features, expression, or personality. It's super creepy and makes it pretty clear that the focus is meant to be their sexual features and not the characters themselves, and to me that's an artistic cop-out and boring.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
The only "fucking lol" thing here is how sad the Gearbox artists's comments are.

They are in NO position to criticize.

codhand

The designs are meant in an Art Crumb, or comic book style of way, but please don't act as though you shouldn't turn a little red, when someone sees the shit.

That's actually something that made its way into a basically finished video game, fucking lol! Some juvenile delinquent kid in my 5th grade class used to draw girls that looked like that (only without the creepy blank, featureless samefaces and wizard hats), and I think he was actually better at it. I also think he's in jail now. This is amazing.
"Fucking lol!

He my 5th grade friend drew something sexual and I implied he's in jail in part due to that deviancy!

The treatment of women in Borderlands doesn't reveal a problem of female portrayal in games but a well-crafted piece of purposefully exaggerated design like this somehow awful.

The subjectively 'creepy' similar faces of blank avatar characters lets me read into the artist's intention with 100% accuracy. Because I'm one of a trillion professional artists, I'm the arbiter of all good art and can clearly judge what is a cop-out.

Fucking lol!"

MCD

The last thing we need is a criticism from Gearbox in Japanese art.

Look, I don't play Vanillaware shallow games nor do I like their art but this guy is an asshole and can shove it.

Edit: or girl? and still an ass.

tkscz

a later post from him in that OP link:

This I can't argue with. I hate when women are drawn to look the same. Same face, same body, different hair style and clothes. It feels like the artist doesn't know how to draw women with different bodies, faces, or personalities. But...

tumblr_mdo7a6ywym1r2r04fo1_r1_250.png

pretty much looks like

xp9vgcP.jpg

face and body wise.

Of course we don't know if she was the artist behind borederlands.

Didn't they basically steal the Borderlands series from some online animated video/movie thing.?
CODEHUNTERS was the short film:
http://www.gatheryourparty.com/articles/2012/11/12/pound-of-flesh/
Also copied another artist art for Borderlands 2:
http://www.destructoid.com/gearbox-accused-of-pilfering-art-for-borderlands-2-235455.phtml
I'm guessing he enjoys the nonexistent art of say, Aliens: Colonial Marines?

Too soon?
Nope they deserve all the shit for pretty much embezzling Sega's money and faking all those "gameplay" footages

Village

They jealous of the art? Kinda sounds like they are.

Or they could honestly not like it.

News Flash, a lot of people including me dislike the art style in dragons crown for a plenty of reasons. I think the coloring is cool but the figure's with the coloring look terrible.

This person is just being a jerk face about it.

On topic, didn't gear box steal the art style in borderlands.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
um guys, her comment doesn't represent her company at all, and she's an environmental artist, not a character artist.

Velcro Fly

fucking lol going to approach meme status i'm calling it now

i'm going to buy this game on release and main the sorceress just to spite everyone

Slygmous

Sounds like she just made a judgement based on the one picture of the Sorceress floating around, without considering the context. Pretty immature.

Ban Puncher

Is this going to turn into another one of those 'person gets fired from company for saying dumb shit in public' situations?

Because that would be fucking lol!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Well, first off, some people in this thread aren't doing this argument any favors by not reading the OP well enough and just assuming the artist in question is a "he". "Shaylyn" is nowhere near a guy's name, people.

But also, nobody who works for the same developer that brought us Borderlands and Duke Nukem Forever has any room to criticize Dragon's Crown's art style.

Haunted

I can see how the art of Dragon's Crown can elicit such a reaction.

Then again, Vanillaware is targeting their niche and Dragon's Crown is not a game anyone would use to "showcase" gaming to the mainstream to get them into gaming. At least not women, anyway. So that aspect of the criticism is unwarranted. You don't get slightly interested people into a hobby by showing them the extreme end of the spectrum.

As a fan of Odin Sphere and Muramasa, I will say that Dragon's Crown's art style is the least appealing of all Vanillaware games so far.

tkscz

I'm guessing he enjoys the nonexistent art of say, Aliens: Colonial Marines?

Too soon?

The artist here is female. And while I like her art, it's always very diverse, the comment was a bit juvenile and she needs to complain about the people she works with before complaining about other's art. Again, borderlands is filled with the same shit.

Or they could honestly not like it,

News Flash, a lot of people including me dislike the art style in dragons crown for a plenty of reasons. I think the coloring is cool but the figure's with the coloring look terrible.

This person is just being a jerk face about it.

On topic, didn't gear box steal the art style in borderlands.

I have no problem with people not liking a certain artstyle, I just don't like people who are hypocrites about it. Don't get on your high horse and say games like Dragon Crown are driving women out of the game industry, when the company you work for has produced just as much samey and arguably FAR MORE sexist content (every part of Duke Nukem Forever).

th4tguy

This is why devs/ programmers/ artists shouldn't be making public posts about things. If you are going to be opinionated about stuff that could be seen as controversial, make it private so only friends see. Drives PR/Marketing crazy.

Baleoce

Am I being naive in thinking that the art direction in Dragon's Crown is meant to be a parody? Like a caricature of other art directions and what we "perceive" as the standard for the typical classes in RPG's and what not.

I mean, that's how I see it. Maybe I'm missing something. I don't get what there is to get angry about. Surely any criticism should be pointed at the games that do this, but actually mean it.

Is this going to turn into another one of those 'person gets fired from company for saying dumb shit in public' situations?

Because that would be fucking lol!

I doubt it honestly... I at least truly hope she doesn't get fired for having her opinions... As hypocritical as they may be.

Pachinko

Fuck Kotaku for making this an issue, buncha of low life hacks.

Pretty much this , I'm getting awful sick of the nontroversy as I call it, if people just ignored things they hated instead of writing shits for clicks articles there would be no publicity over this at all.

i-Lo

She responded to the post which said "Halloween themed pole dancer". Looks like an over the top and unrealistically sexualized female character can't be ever empowered enough to justify her design.

Top Bottom