• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gearbox shut down an ambitious Duke 3d remake [Gearbox says it can be released]

Story

Interview with Original creator Ben Hibon - "To be absolutely clear – I have never created or designed anything for Gearbox or Borderlands. Gearbox saw my work and decided to reproduce it – make it their own – without my help or my consent."

The video in question was made before borderlands, more importantly before gearbox up and switched the styling. Apparently the original creator was never attributed or compensated for his work.

When it comes to art styles I was ready to nod and say it was merely a coincidence, but when you start looking closer, there is so much in borderlands that has direct parallels to codehunters. For example, watch as the kid is carried on the large guys shoulders, much like how Brick carries Tiny Tina in the art in the credits. It just all seems highly suspicious.

Wow, that's damning. Really colors my appreciation for what I once thought was a refreshingly unique style and presentation.

markot

Banned
Gearbox is like the worst company that is somewhat successful. I hope they go down like they were purchased by EA.

Bedlam

Sounds like typical Gearbox.

Those guys are thieves and con-artists.

The last Gearbox product I bought was the first Borderlands which, in retrospect, was a mistake. I will never ever again purchase any product that is even remotely affiliated with Gearbox.

ChronoX

Wow, the game looked so damn good! Also when you're doing remakes and projects like this don't announce anything until it's out!

MMaRsu

Banned
Goddamnit Gearbox/Randy wtf are you clowns doing up there. Making barely mediocre games like DNF and Aliens CM.. Fuck off please?

SystemBug

Story

Interview with Original creator Ben Hibon - "To be absolutely clear – I have never created or designed anything for Gearbox or Borderlands. Gearbox saw my work and decided to reproduce it – make it their own – without my help or my consent."

The video in question was made before borderlands, more importantly before gearbox up and switched the styling. Apparently the original creator was never attributed or compensated for his work.

When it comes to art styles I was ready to nod and say it was merely a coincidence, but when you start looking closer, there is so much in borderlands that has direct parallels to codehunters. For example, watch as the kid is carried on the large guys shoulders, much like how Brick carries Tiny Tina in the art in the credits. It just all seems highly suspicious.
I am so glad a big-name site brought all of Gearbox's issues to the forefront. I wanted to write an article similar to that when Aliens came out but didn't know if it was ethically correct.

Ripping off Codehunters and artwork from that Olly Moss poster was low. It's pathetic how Randy would always come in after and try to make light of the situation - almost as if they did nothing wrong.

Metal-Geo

I'd love to be able to give Interceptor money for this!
They took donations at the start of the project. Bit of a kick in the stomach after the whole 'canceled' message.

Hopefully Interceptor will remain working on the project now that Gearbox is still giving the go. Or at the very least, release what they have.

Top Bottom