• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 Review Thread

Journey

Banned
Seemingly Polygon likens it to an Uncharted game. Like it or not, there is no denying the overall quality of that Sony title, could explain the positive reception. And why not frankly.

Am I playing a Gears game or Uncharted?” is a weird thing to ask yourself. And yet, within the first few minutes of playing Gears 5, I’m oscillating between wide-eyed surprise and squinting suspicion.”

So let me get this straight, Uncharted almost carbon copies Gears of War 3rd person cover system gameplay, but then later down the road, reviewers are claiming that Gears is copying Uncharted? I'm so confused.

DanielsM

Banned
Now that the game is out, what do you think about not showing the gameplay until the last few days?

I'm just going off the previews and videos.

Trying to hide that nothing really changed about the game play, its basically where the series was going with GoW3->GoW4->now GoW5 i.e. action adventure. Basically, they tacked on a few insignificant things, If you liked GoW3/4, than this is for you, if not, not so much. Game play remains kind of dated, but very good value still. Its a pass for me, I rarely game on PC but if it were like GoW1 or something I would probably pick it up some point. I think some of the other game modes look pretty poor though like that Escape mode.

So let me get this straight, Uncharted almost carbon copies Gears of War 3rd person cover system gameplay, but then later down the road, reviewers are claiming that Gears is copying Uncharted? I'm so confused.

Not sure what there was about Uncharted that was like GoW, I mean they both have guns but that was about it, I would say more like Tomb Raider myself i.e. action adventure. I considered GoW1 a semi-horror cover based shooter, I don't really consider Uncharted a cover based shooter, not really.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I'm just going off the previews and videos.

Trying to hide that nothing really changed about the game play, its basically where the series was going with GoW3->GoW4->now GoW5 i.e. action adventure. Basically, they tacked on a few insignificant things, If you liked GoW3/4, than this is for you, if not, not so much. Game play remains kind of dated, but very good value still. Its a pass for me, I rarely game on PC but if it were like GoW1 or something I would probably pick it up some point. I think some of the other game modes look pretty poor though like that Escape mode.

Not sure what there was about Uncharted that was like GoW, I mean they both have guns but that was about it, I would say more like Tomb Raider myself i.e. action adventure. I considered GoW1 a semi-horror cover based shooter, I don't really consider Uncharted a cover based shooter, not really.
Yeah, going off of your post about Gears 5 -- you need to play it. You couldn't be more wrong.

DanielsM

Banned
Yeah, going off of your post about Gears 5 -- you need to play it. You couldn't be more wrong.

My eyes actually work, looks just like the action adventure direction that was started with GoW3, add bunches of goofy stuff flying around and add in some goofy transportation methods.... action adventure.

If that is your thing, I see nothing wrong with it... not even saying that's bad... just not my thing. Uncharted isn't really my thing either, I think its a high quality title, just action adventure games like that rarely do it for me. I'll pick GoW5 about the same time I pick up Uncharted 5, probably never.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
My eyes actually work, looks just like the action adventure direction that was started with GoW3, add bunches of goofy stuff flying around and add in some goofy transportation methods.... action adventure.

If that is your thing, I see nothing wrong with it... not even saying that's bad... just not my thing. Uncharted isn't really my thing either, I think its a high quality title, just action adventure games like that rarely do it for me. I'll pick GoW5 about the same time I pick up Uncharted 5, probably never.

Nothing is your thing except shitting on everything video games.

DanielsM

Banned
Nothing is your thing except shitting on everything video games.

Actually, if you know how to read... I didn't really shit on anything. Try growing some skin. Interesting enough both GoW 1-2 are in my top 20 campaigns.

1.) Legend of Zelda OOT
2/3.) Days Gone/Bloodborne
4.) Silent Hill 2
5.) Red Dead Redemption (Game of Year Edition)
6.) Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker
7.) Gears of War
8.) Dark Souls III
9.) Rage
10.) Halo Combat Evolved (Remastered as well)
11.) Half-Life 2
12.) The Last of Us Remastered
13.) Turok N64
14.) Super Mario 64 (I don't really like Mario but this was a good game at the time)
15.) Portal 2
16.) Gears of War 2
17.) Max Payne
18.) Bioshock
19.) Killzone Mercenary
20.) Doom 3

Funny enough, I probably played GoW3 much more due to the MP, although I thought they were going in the wrong direction even under Epic. Now if you want to hear me shit about an AAA game, that would Bioshock Infinite... horrible game.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

It's not that confusing actually.

Started playing the campaign last night. I haven't gotten very far but i already wish I had an Xbox one x. Would look amazing on my tcl 6 series. Alas, og Xbox one 🤣

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Actually, if you know how to read... I didn't really shit on anything. Try growing some skin. Interesting enough both GoW 1-2 are in my top 20 campaigns.

1.) Legend of Zelda OOT
4.) Silent Hill 2
7.) Gears of War
8.) Dark Souls III
9.) Rage
11.) Half-Life 2
13.) Turok N64
14.) Super Mario 64 (I don't really like Mario but this was a good game at the time)
15.) Portal 2
16.) Gears of War 2
17.) Max Payne
18.) Bioshock
19.) Killzone Mercenary
20.) Doom 3

Funny enough, I probably played GoW3 much more due to the MP, although I thought they were going in the wrong direction even under Epic. Now if you want to hear me shit about an AAA game, that would Bioshock Infinite... horrible game.
Salt, and a boring person.

Reactions: JLB

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

1.) Legend of Zelda OOT
4.) Silent Hill 2
7.) Gears of War
8.) Dark Souls III
9.) Rage
11.) Half-Life 2
13.) Turok N64
15.) Portal 2
16.) Gears of War 2
17.) Max Payne
18.) Bioshock
19.) Killzone Mercenary
20.) Doom 3

Looking at your post history shows exactly what I said.

And maybe if you dropped the whole passive aggressive tone you wouldnt come across as someone with their head in their rear.

Last edited:

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Same fucking trolls, every single time. I don't know what kind of dirt you guys have on the mods, but it's gotta be big if you're constantly able to pull the same shit everytime without getting banned.

Allow me to answer this for you.

We are not in every thread 24/7. We go off of reports. If there are no reports, there are no actions most of the time. It really is that simple.

Allow me to also comment on your assumption that there are Teflon users. We do ban for heavy trolling. We try to not be as heavy handed, and remove from threads as the first course action, or delete blatant comments that serve to bait derail and remove from thread. Again, when reported.

With that said, a good number of the regulars would be removed on all sides of the platforms of choice if you want a heavier approach. There is not a single platform, game, or thread that is impervious to trolling from opposite "camps". It happens in them all, and it happens by people who complain about it happening to their platform or game of choice as well. We notice these things.

As of this post, there was not a single report in this thread, FWIW.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

We are not in every thread 24/7. We go off of reports. If there are no reports, there are no actions most of the time. It really is that simple.

Allow me to also comment on your assumption that there are Teflon users. We do ban for heavy trolling. We try to not be as heavy handed, and remove from threads as the first course action, or delete blatant comments that serve to bait derail and remove from thread. Again, when reported.

With that said, a good number of the regulars would be removed on all sides of the platforms of choice if you want a heavier approach. There is not a single platform, game, or thread that is impervious to trolling from opposite "camps". It happens in them all, and it happens by people who complain about it happening to their platform or game of choice as well. We notice these things.

I was clearly being facetious and that post was made in jest. If you actually think I believe they have some dirt or that there's some grand conspiracy, then I don't know what the hell I'm supposed to tell you.

Last edited:

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Believe what you will. I'm more than happy report bullshit console wars rhetoric, and did I do that once in this thread?

I was agreeing with you. Reread what I said.

I knew you were being sarcastic, and I do not believe you actually think there is a "conspiracy". ;)

Last edited:

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Oh derp, I read that as "I don't think you believe what you just said" xD

I was ready to throw down (ง'̀-'́)ง

tenor.gif

Shmunter

It’s not a unique situation. Same with Uncharted being influenced by Tomb Raider. Now Tom Raider is trying to be B grade Uncharted.

But that’s games; they don’t grow in a vacuum, they evolve together borrowing ideas and counter borrowing ideas generation upon generation. Nothing wrong with it

Last edited:
I can't believe a publication gave this a 10/10. That's not a knock against Gears 5, which I haven't played--it's just that there's no possible way it can be 10/10. That's 100% good. The absolute pinnacle of video games. Four-decades-of -video-games-have-brought-us-to-this-moment type of shit. The best video game of all time.

Sorry games journalist, I say no way.

Dude, games journalists have been giving 10/10s to TONs of games these days. Uncharted 4, BOTW, RDR2. Those are all good (or even great) games too but are in no way perfect or revolutionary.

10/10 just means it gets their own highest seal of approval for something worth playing at that moment. More for the symbolism it brings than them really thinking it's flawless, and knowing it helps a game sell better.

It’s not a unique situation. Same with Uncharted being influenced by Tomb Raider. Now Tom Raider is trying to be B grade Uncharted.

There's TONS of Sony bias in review scores these days. In fact, there's tons of bias in a LOT of review scores these days. It's why I don't trust 'em.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
10/10 just means it gets their own highest seal of approval for something worth playing at that moment.
I wish more people would understand this simple concept. 10/10 it just means the reviewer enjoyed game enough to give that score, it doesn’t mean it flawless and it doesn’t guarantee everyone going to enjoy the game.

Shmunter

I wish more people would understand this simple concept. 10/10 it just means the reviewer enjoyed game enough to give that score, it doesn’t mean it flawless and it doesn’t guarantee everyone going to enjoy the game.
What do you mean 10/10 is not flawless? To get 10/10, one must achieve the following:

PRESENTATION 10/10
GRAPHICS 10/10
SOUND 10/10
HOOKABILITY 10/10
LASTABILITY 10/10

OVERALL: 10/10

images

Tygeezy

I was only able to get split screen co-op going for the campaign in the pc version. Is console able to do split screen with Horde and Escape? According to this PC gamer article we should be able to do split screen in Escape.

"At AMD's "Next Horizon Gaming" E3 press conference, we got a few minutes of Gears 5, as The Coalition's Rod Fergusson and Mike Raynor came on stage to talk tech. While most of the time was spent going over information about Gears 5 we already knew, and talking up AMD's hardware, this was a cool tidbit to have confirmed: Gears 5's new Escape mode will support three-player splitscreen on PC. "

NickFire

I was only able to get split screen co-op going for the campaign in the pc version. Is console able to do split screen with Horde and Escape? According to this PC gamer article we should be able to do split screen in Escape.

"At AMD's "Next Horizon Gaming" E3 press conference, we got a few minutes of Gears 5, as The Coalition's Rod Fergusson and Mike Raynor came on stage to talk tech. While most of the time was spent going over information about Gears 5 we already knew, and talking up AMD's hardware, this was a cool tidbit to have confirmed: Gears 5's new Escape mode will support three-player splitscreen on PC. "

I genuinely never would have thought PC split screen was a thing. Learn something new every day I guess.

Tygeezy

I genuinely never would have thought PC split screen was a thing. Learn something new every day I guess.
It's very rare, but I have my pc setup as an HTPC with a 72 inch tv so I have use for that with friends when they come over. Being able to play Escape and Horde would be awesome instead of having to do campaign that i'm sure has a lot of downtime and cutscenes.

4434fph.jpg

CyberPanda

Banned
It's very rare, but I have my pc setup as an HTPC with a 72 inch tv so I have use for that with friends when they come over. Being able to play Escape and Horde would be awesome instead of having to do campaign that i'm sure has a lot of downtime and cutscenes.

4434fph.jpg
Nicely decorated room.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
This user has been removed from the thread.

With all do respect. The report button doesn't do jack for most which is why people aren't using it anymore.

Dane

y89v2RT.png

Found these review also ( if no One posted yet)

I doesn't have any disability, but this game looks like one of those highest trim levels in a luxury car, lots of options.

Shmunter

4434fph.jpg
Nice legs

DanielsM

Banned
Looking at your post history shows exactly what I said.

And maybe if you dropped the whole passive aggressive tone you wouldnt come across as someone with their head in their rear.
Judging by your posts the only conclusion I can come to is you have a reading disability, although I do admit to making grammar mistake or leaving out a word or two on the forum.... as I type very fast.

If you're butt hurt over my comments, maybe growing some skin is in order, its not like I kicked your dog. You are free to disagree with whatever comment I have - its called a forum for a reason.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
With all do respect. The report button doesn't do jack for most which is why people aren't using it anymore.

Let me give you an example.

You may air your grievance here.

Thabass

Console wars are insanely stupid especially in 2019. People, most of the games you love are on the same consoles and most games that come out usually follow the same type of formula as other games in the same genre. Relax, have fun, and game on.

Last edited:

You sound like you'd be a lot of fun at parties.

• LOL
Reactions: JLB

gatti-man

Super hyped for the game.

Sad to see some lowball review scores tarnishing the averages.

People that don't like xbox or already don't like the series SHOULDN'T be assigned to review the game. That stands for any game in my opinion. "well, normally I think SHMUPS are lame and crappy games, but this one is ok so i'll be generous and give it a 7" When everyone else is giving it 8's and 9's.

Anything 10/10 isn't realistic, but at the same time anything 3/5 or 7/10 just sticks out as click bait trash.
I like Gears a lot and it’s better than 4 but a far cry from 1/2/3.

I had to laugh when a full 30% of the game or more is simply spent trying to restore a basic mechanic from 1/2/3. It’s like a metaphor for how the new dev team can’t even match the old games. Maybe gears 6 idk. I also wondering if they are tracking player choices in the game. Pro SJW or no hmmmm

Last edited:
KInda suprised how many people I'm hearing say they are new to Gears, or havent played since Gears one, but Gamepass seems to have brought them back. I guess Gamepass is doing its job. I have reupped after reaching level 100. I thought that beta was straight trash, was planning on just sticking with Gears 4, but I have to admit Gears 5 plays great to me. I do have a question about a possible glitch. My character spawned in as a totally metallic person. but I couldnt shoot or anything. Does that have something to do with the Terminator tie in. was I somehow experiencING some upcoming DLC

Top Bottom